PDA

View Full Version : What would you do if you ran the zoo?

Pages : [1] 2

coronamouseman
11-12-2001, 08:33 PM
There is a great Dr. Seuss book entitled "If I ran the zoo" - in it the main character tells what he would do if he was the owner of the zoo ......

OK - you are now the unbridled President of Disneyland Resort -what would you do to stimulate attendance and solve the incredible riddle of the DCA sphinx .........

One person's take:

1. Drop cheap annual passes in favor of more expensive ones
($250 minimum) - you would be surprised how many SoCal addicts still need their fix even for $100 more a year
2. Institute a variation on the Fastpass System: Instant Fastpass! With IF, a qualified ticketholder gets a Fastpass with a return time ----- NOW. Impact to current system will be minimal - simply reserve a percentage of current Fastpasses as they are distributed for every 10-minute interval thus allowing buffer to accomodate walkup IF ticketholders.
3. Why IF? Very simply - allows for upscale pricing of what already exists! For example: (A) Offer new "premium one-day passport" for $89 (hey - Universal up the street charges $79 for one-day no-wait premium pass) which gives ticketholder IF access first 8 times FP is requested (B) Offer hotel guests 5 IF credits per day when using FP (similar to Universal no-wait at IOA and USF (C) offer multiday ticketholders 2 IF credits per day (D) offer add-on to any ticketholder or AP (thought I forgot you guys?) of $29 for 5 IF credits
4. Institute at least 2-3 AP-exclusive nights with unique features
(Space Mt with lights on, let guests to Jungle cruise spiel for a trip or two, Splash Mt. with water level high enough to ensure total soaking, etc..... - point is, AP's will be glad to pay extra for insider or exclusive stuff
5. Reduce DCA admission to $20-$25 level - see if anybody will come even at that price - otherwise, open gates and sell tickets to each ride individually, letting people come in off the street from Katella

Get some life going in the old park again and at least get some bodies into the new one ............

Morrigoon
11-12-2001, 10:02 PM
I wonder if there's a character limit on posts......

If I ran the zoo, huh? Here goes (this will probably get a bit disjointed as ideas start flowing)

DCA:

Immediately (holiday season): I would put together a "family package" of "gift tickets" to DCA. Family of 4, 2 adults, 2 kids for $80. These would be a specially printed edition with holiday images on the tickets, and for an extra $4 would come with two character holiday cards that were ticket holders (like money holding cards). Great stocking stuffer. Tickets would be good until March 31st. Additional family members' tickets could be purchased for $20 (kids).

Longer term, I would look at lowering DCA ticket prices to $25. I would meanwhile send the imagineers to work at a plan to turn DCA into a Disney's America. It would be a multi-phase plan, so the park could remain open (with reduced ticket prices) as it was being made over.

To start with, I would take the back area of Hollywood (where SSL, Millionaire, the food court, that outdoor stage, and Muppets are) and start turning that into New York. Millionaire (for as long as it remains popular) can stay. However, the building would be retrofitted or rebuilt in such a way that later a chilren's indoor ride could be put in. Said ride would be designed ahead of time, so the building can be done right for it. Better yet, a plan to make a small theatre out of it. Make a deal with Children's Television Workshop to make an Audio-Animatronic Sesame Street show. Either that, or AA creatures putting on a "broadway musical" in all its glitzy cheesy glory. No tongue-in-cheek sarcasm here, just unashamed cheesiness. Kind of like the city version of CBJ.

SSL and Hollywood and Dine would be history. In their place, a city skyline (a pretty version, like NYNY hotel in Vegas has). The Empire State building, etc. Empire State building would start as an empty shell, but have space in it for a future ToT, when people's nerves have calmed a bit. In SSL's place, a new "mountain". Okay, not a mountain, but an indoor E-ticket. Maybe even if it was just Rock 'n Rollercoaster. The front would be a part of the area's city skyline, not a hideous independent building. The entrance would be themed as a record store (okay, MUSIC store, since none of them sell records anymore ;) )

This land would now feature a second story. Up there (not above the coaster, but above other spots) would be a nightclub (probably playing 70's-80's hits with some 90's stuff, to appeal to a wider audience), a piano lounge with a nice view and outdoor dining (specializing in beverages and appetizer type stuff, mostly buffalo wings, chicken tenders, fries, nachos and quesadillas. Easy stuff requiring only a small kitchen. It would probably get its stuff half-prepared from the kitchen used for the new restaurant in the area. That kitchen would be the one previously used for Hollywood and Dine, except instead of one large restaurant area, it would be a service area, with tables upstairs (overlooking the land). This dining area would be done all cute, with trees in planters, umbrellas over the tables, and white lights in the trees and around the edges of the umbrellas.

Yes, one of the things that will make the NY area desirable to guests at night will be how pretty it looks with all the buildings and windows, etc. all lit up. (and the Emp. St. will have its lighting designed such that however the actual one is lit at that time of year, so will the fake be lit, even the small, forced-perspective windows up high.)

Where the outdoor stage once was, now the entrance to this land, will be a scaled-down Statue of Liberty. What better weenie could a land ask for? She would stand on a small island in the middle of a largish pool of water, with the edges all themed as miniature cityscape on the inside, and look like a normal, but nice planter/fountain edge on the outside. Behind her ladyship (where it's less visible from the front) would be coin-op boats. Groan if you will, but as a kid, I thought those were the coolest things. The barriers build would be such that none of the boats could get lost out of view (ie: the couldn't end up in front of the statue). Keeping in mind that the statue would face towards Muppets (yes, Muppets can stay), the boats would still be perfectly viewable from the rest of the land, they are by no means hidden in a corner, they just aren't the first impression either. The outdoor stage would then be rebuilt, facing towards the former SSL more directly, and a much smaller stage. There would be a coffee bar location there, serving espressos, cappuccinos, lattes and the like (also kid's juice boxes, orange and apple, as is carried in other locations currently). Instead of rows upon rows of benches, there would be two rows of lowered benches, intended for exclusive use by children. The rest of the area would have chairs and small tables (like Coke Corner at DL has). This stage would be large enough for story readings during the day, and starting in the afternoon, musicians. Either a string trio/quartet or a small jazz band or all of the above rotating. This will draw, and keep, people in the area. It will be worth having because it will help sell coffee and fill the land with music. It will also be in the sightlines of most of the area dining establishments, with their 2nd story patios and windowed indoor areas. So in some way it will help sales in all the area restaurants. (Anyone who doesn't understand how an entertainer increases the revenue for a food location, ask yourself this: why is Rod Miller the highest paid entertainer in the park? There IS a reason!)

When the NY redo is complete, its unveiling will be part of the official change from DCA to DA. The park's name will change at that time. It will be a tad California heavy, but many of the themes can easily be understood to represent larger areas of the country than they currently claim to. Grizzly Peak recreation area, for example, is named after a Californian bear, but could be understood to be representative of all national parks. Since GRR already has geysers, this changeover will be fairly painless. Paradise Pier, for as long as it remains (under my plan it's eventually doomed, but there are too many attractions to bulldoze it first) can be easily understood to be any seaside pier/carnival from Santa Monica to Atlantic City. Bountiful Valley Farm (for the time it is there) can easily represent half the midwest states. The half of Hollywood not absorbed into NY (ie: the "street" which contains the Animation building, the theatre, a smoothie shop and soap opera bistro) may remain, though eventually the soap opera bistro will be turned into a location more guests want to visit.

I'm going to go ahead and post this much and I'll do phase II in another post.

Nigel2
11-12-2001, 10:17 PM
This is like the second time this week you have told us your idea of turning DCA into the (never going to happen) DA. Some of it is a good idea, but that is way too much.

FantasmicFan82
11-12-2001, 10:26 PM
Keep the regular FP, it works... it's nice.

Make 2(two) Annuals. 1. $175 1-park, 2. $275 2-park. no block-out days, and yes, more special cool stuff for AP's. (if you've bought an AP for DCA, why? too late, you know there will always be people to buy them)

I haven't been to DCA, so i'm not going to make sugesstions yet. get me a free ticket and i'll go... maybe.

Morrigoon
11-12-2001, 11:44 PM
Phase II:

On the opposite end of the park.... where Mulholland madness stands useless, is the perfect spot for a volcano. Some of you may recognize this one, I invented it in another thread, but I'll repeat for the benefit of those who missed it (especially since I don't remember which thread!)

The volcano is another e-ticket rollercoaster in the dark deal. The loading platform would be themed like a grass shack with rails/poles themed to look like bamboo. The attraction would start by going up the outside of the mountain, then in near the top like the Paris Space Mountain. The *very* top would be made to appear as if lava could come flowing over the edges at any moment. Indeed, it would have some red areas on the rim made from a durable plastic material. At night, it would glow red. There would also be a smoke machine there in the top, so periodically smoke would emanate from the top. It would all be fireproofed enough that small pyro could be shot from there during a lagoon show (or just for the heck of it a couple times a night to attract attention and "plus" the area). The bottom of the interior of the attraction is made to look like glowing, bubbling lava (ala Indy). The attraction twists and turns etc. inside the main area of the volcano, then shoots into a dark "lava tube", accompanied by a loud ~SPLASH!~ sound. The dark tube gives way to a Plexiglass tube running through a large fishtank, then back into darkness, and comes up from a hole in the lagoon (obviously this is a short underwater tunnel) which is framed on the outside by lava rocks. It then comes across the water, joins up with a "lava rock" archway from the lagoon side of the main walkway back over to the volcano. It does another turn around the exterior (so the track winds around over under etc. the track for the beginning of the ride) then returns to the station. Very little of the ride is exposed-structure. basically from the hole in the water up to the rock arch. A span which can be kept to a distance of perhaps only a few feet (more than 5, less than 20). The only reason the lava arch doesn't reach all the way out to the hole is because it would reduce the dramatic impact of coming out of the middle of the water. The sides of the lava arch can be plussed with waterfalls and foliage. This will improve both the look and the sound of the area.

The aquarium that the Volcano ride goes through will not be exclusively for the attraction, nor will it be exactly a tube. More like two large wall-like fishtanks attached in certain areas to look like the coaster is going through a full-on tube. Anyway, one side of the aquarium would be larger and lusher than the other. The smaller side would have a rock background. The larger side would be shared by the coaster and, on the outside of it, either a sealife "exhibit", or a seafood restaurant. It could even mark the return of the Tahitian Terrace, only it must be renamed to Hawaii. Perhaps Hale Ohana or something. The restaurant could have a stage with hula and ukulele shows.

This area of the park would also get a Little Mermaid dark ride, in the grand tradition of, say, an Alice or Peter Pan.

The Hawaii area would comprise the area from the Zephyr over to the Orange Stinger, and all the land that wraps around them. All that would be left now of Paradise Pier would be the Maliboomer and Screamin'.

More on the Island area: The King Triton Carousel and the Jumpin' Jellyfish can stay (though I would have preferred something a little better themed, it will be moderately acceptable)

The volcano would be a great weenie for the Island village land (no name as of yet.) It would be Hawaii toward the Paradise Pier end, and transition over to a Southwest/NM/Ariz./TX area.

This would be the "western" themed area of the park, but sticking closer to the painted desert theme so as not to tread the toes of Frontierland. It would be a fairly small area anyway, but large enough for a walk-up taco stand, a sit-down restaurant with tex-mex and other southwestern style food, and a line-dancing cowboy burger joint with a line dance instructor on hand to teach a lesson every odd hour, and tables that look as if they've been fashioned from barrels. Later, when a suitable kids play area has been built elsewhere (at this stage, bugs will still be in the farm area, so that would suffice), the Griz Peak Rec Area will give way to a show building for Western River Expedition. In the process, we will probably lose the Whoopi Theater due to space constraints. However, the line-dancing burger joint (hmm... maybe BBQ joint) would be inside WRE, blue bayou style. To acommodate the multi-story needs of WRE, the landscape would rise in that area, kind of like a hill or plateau, to allow lots of lower-story room. In that way, the Southwestern area would transition nicely into the National Parks area (basically GRR) which is fairly Rocky-Mountain in its design.

This is the end of Phase II

Morrigoon
11-12-2001, 11:45 PM
Nigel: Yeah, I know, but the more I discuss it, the more I like the idea ;) :D

DisneylandKid
11-13-2001, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by coronamouseman

2. Institute a variation on the Fastpass System: Instant Fastpass! With IF, a qualified ticketholder gets a Fastpass with a return time ----- NOW. Impact to current system will be minimal - simply reserve a percentage of current Fastpasses as they are distributed for every 10-minute interval thus allowing buffer to accomodate walkup IF ticketholders.
What?

5. Reduce DCA admission to $20-$25 level - see if anybody will come even at that price - otherwise, open gates and sell tickets to each ride individually, letting people come in off the street from Katella
Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

merlinjones
11-13-2001, 05:35 AM
"If I Ran the Zoo" money would flow into DL Resort:

1) Merge DCA into Downtown Disney, adding major retailers throughout and individually priced tickets/books for remaining rides (see earlier post on DCA/relevant thread). DCA makes a lousy theme park, but perhaps a really cool Mall. I believe this is the only way to make this park profitable in its current form.

2) Paradise Pier becomes separately gated Pleasure Island with niteclubs and Pinocchio theming added. Kids can ride with ticket books during the day (again, see other post). The best possible fate for this thing... a Disney tie-in, where you can earn your donkey ears and tail!

3) Bring Country Bears back to Grizzly rapids in time for movie tie-in.

4) Restore/revamp Tomorrowland back to the cool 1967 modern design approach (with exaggerated effect, like Encounter at LAX). CircleVision, Rocket Jets, PeopleMover, Skyway, Carousel of Progress and Adventure Through Inner Space return, new E-ticket is added, Buzz Lightyear target ride added.

5) New, modernized effects 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea attraction (with Nautilus subs) replaces Submarine Voyage.

6) Nostalgic favorites (Capt, Hook's Ship, Golden Horseshoe Revue, Tahitian Terrace, Motor Boats, Indian Village, Keel Boats, Penny Arcade, etc.) return throughout the park for the 50th anniversary... an easily marketable package. What better does Disney have to sell than giving your childhood back to you? The last three items would photograph well for ads and pack the park.

7) MSEP and Fantasmic! return to Disneyland.

8) Name entertainment/concerts return to Disneyland.

9) Weekend promotions ("Alice in Wonderland Days", "Easter Parade") return to Disneyland.

10) World class Walt Disney Musuem incorporating Archives, ARL, WED, RETLAW collections is erected in DTD, styled after Hyperion Studio.

11) Major DL attractions to be added every three years. No classics are closed. New Frontierland e-ticket. The goal would be to pack Disneyland with so much to do that you have to stay two days to see it all.

12) Thorough maintenence rehab of entire park for 50th. Tiki Room update.

13) Candlelight Procession returns to Main Street, expanded to two weekends, adds snow.

14) Fantasyland Theatre is replaced by highly marketable Fantasyland II: Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Aladdin, Pooh (too late likely for FL) and Mermaid take their righful place here without disrupting the FL classics.

15) Dismantle FastPass to make people need to stay two days to see it all (and to clean up the unsightly design/queue mess).

16) If all of the above is added to DL, a higher admission could be charged and will gladly be payed.

17) DisneySea or equivalent high-end park is added in Strawberry Patch.

18) Management is reqired to view all Walt Disney's movies and spend a percentage of their time in the park as a guest. Finance and marketing groups are relegated to SUPPORT creatives, not supplant them.

19) Disney Hotels are kept at reasonable, affordable levels to increase head count/bookings.

20) Attractive design, inventiveness and quality return to merchandise at the parks. Exclusive VaultDisney materials (videos, CD's, books, art) are sold only at the park.

21) Rubio's Fish Tacos or Baja Fresh added to DTD, along with more populist/youth-oriented retail.

Napsto
11-13-2001, 08:02 AM
i would let me family and friends in for free!

coronamouseman
11-13-2001, 08:12 AM
Morigoon:

Wow - you most certainly can't work for Disney because you are probably too creative and would only bother them with your wealth of ideas.

Volcano attraction sounds pretty cool ....

But you left out the all-important menu for the walk-up taco stand .............

adriennek
11-13-2001, 10:27 AM

1. Drop cheap annual passes in favor of more expensive ones
($250 minimum) - you would be surprised how many SoCal addicts still need their fix even for $100 more a year

During "wartime" when people are afraid to travel to high-profile locations and during a recession? Nope.

I'd institute a policy like WDW and have children's priced APs instead of forcing a 3 y/o to pay the same as his parents.

You would be surprised how many SoCal "addicts" are getting worn out from cost increases within the park and recession outside of the park. Raising the price by that much would definitely be a burden to their AP sales; much more so than a benefit.

Adrienne K-- who does not have a degree in Economics but has life experience ;)

stinkerbell
11-13-2001, 11:46 AM
I love merlinjones' answer to DCA. I would love to stroll through that area in the evening, shopping, snacking if it was like DTD. Great mall idea.

ALso, love the Tomorrowland retro thing and the return to childhood additions, as well as the Fantasyland II.......

Right on the money!

coronamouseman
11-13-2001, 12:52 PM
adriennek:

But shouldn't the goal right now be to implement policies and plans that allow DLR to (1) maintain enough senior cast members to ensure that the quality of the park experiences is carried on and (2) keep Disney revenues at a point where drastic reductions in park hours and/or live entertainment can be avoided?

If an annual pass this year costs an extra $100 (our family has four of them) then I would be willing to pay that $400 if it means keeping a couple of cast members or having Fantasmic on weekends in the winter or keeping the parks open a few hours more a day.

Now, Disney needs to do their part too by realizing and accepting that profits right now will be lower but that they shouldn't cast off (pun?) too many cast members lest they (Disney) be left with personnel issues when business starts rolling again (and it will).

Ultimately, we, the consumers, will have to bear some of the burden so let it be sooner rather than later so that those jobs of senior CM's can be saved
Better to pay upfront if it will mean that cast member jobs and park hours can be saved - better to pay now than to later pay more for a park experience of far less quality or fewer attractions.

merlinjones
11-13-2001, 05:31 PM
stinkerbell: Thanks! When do we take over?

Morrigoon
11-13-2001, 07:28 PM
Phase III of the DCA-DA conversion

(just to rehash: the park would stay open, with only one area closed down at a time, and gala openings for each area. for the few years that this is being done, the price of DCA would be dropped to $25 per head, slowly rising as the newer, better areas of the park open. The park's name and the name of a couple lands would officially change when phase I, NY, opens. Phase III would complete the major changes in the park)

Phase III is where we finally lose Paradise Pier. It had to wait until other areas of the park had actual attractions in them.

For the life of me I cannot figure out a way to turn Screamin into an attraction that would fit into a themed environment. As much as I'd like it removed, there's no debating that it is a decent coaster and impractical to remove. So bear with me on its effect on the look of the area.

Paradise Pier would now become Liberty Bay. It would be representative of the colonies around the time of the revolution. Perhaps that would be the new name for Screamin : American Revolution (or is that too close to the 6flags coaster name?). The bridge over to Screamin's end of the area would be done over as a quaint covered bridge (like the one in Ichabod Crane). As much of screamin's exposed structure as possible would be covered. Only the top part of it would remain uncovered, so as not to ruin the sightlines for riders of the attraction. While the half tube does block the view of the outside world, it's hideous. It goes. If a suitable wall-like structure can be built to continue to block the view of the convention center, it would be.
In front of Screamin', a new waterfront would be built in the colonial theme. Interesting shops would be put in. A toy shop, featuring tin toys, toy soldiers, tricorn hats, etc. would be put in. Also a fish n chips quick service location. There would be a small shop selling jams, lace, soaps, and other quaint items that middle aged women (like my mother) go so nuts over. There would be some "landmark" items in the area as well. Things like a Liberty Bell and a statue of Washington or Franklin. At that end of the lake, a small ship would be built (since there is no submerged track, it would be stationary) On the pier side, it can house the fish n chips place, but the side facing across the lake would look fairly genuine. Should a show require it, this would be perfect for dumping "tea" from (recreation of the Boston Tea Party).
This land would have gas looking streetlamps, such as main street in DL has.
The covering for Screamin's structure could be made to look like hills/mountains (the appalachins).
Maliboomer goes. It's an eyesore. The ferris wheel stays until something better can be designed to go in its place. It is attractive, and it is an attraction, which the park needs to keep. Since there is a need for more kid friendly attractions, a dark ride based on the creation of America from Columbus and the pilgrims' landings through the Boston Tea Party, the Declaration of Independence, Paul Revere's ride, the war with Britain, and culminating with the swearing in of George Washington as the first elected President. It would have a narration by someone pretending to be Ben Franklin. If this could be sunk underground, then it could be a Pirates-type boat ride, otherwise it would be a fairly quality but normal dark ride.

End of Phase III and fairly complete conversion of DCA into DA.

Minor changes later, perhaps the addition of another attraction in the Condor Flats area, or the extension of the park into the Timon lot would be for a later time.

adriennek
11-13-2001, 10:56 PM
adriennek:

But shouldn't the goal right now be to implement policies and plans that allow DLR to (1) maintain enough senior cast members to ensure that the quality of the park experiences is carried on and (2) keep Disney revenues at a point where drastic reductions in park hours and/or live entertainment can be avoided?

If an annual pass this year costs an extra $100 (our family has four of them) then I would be willing to pay that $400 if it means keeping a couple of cast members or having Fantasmic on weekends in the winter or keeping the parks open a few hours more a day.

That's very admirable of you. Yes, I do believe that there are other Disney fans out there like you. No, I don't think that there are enough of them to make our proposal work.

First of all, keep in mind that many people with APs are not local. I can think of a family of six that is not local to Disneyland but makes trips down to visit. That means $600 more for APs on top of gas and hotel costs.

Now, looking at the economy, people are losing jobs, not just Disneyland CMs, but people in many different industries. The computer industry started having this problem before Sept 11. I have many friends who have been laid off/are looking for work right now. For a family of four who is out of work, or concerned about their job stability, adding $400 to their Disneyland passports is not really going to be a priority! I don't care how much they love Disneyland or hope that the senior CMs don't get laid off.

Some people haven't lost their jobs yet but may be concerned that they will lose their jobs. Facing this, what would you suggest to the family of six? Take the gamble that Dad keeps his job and spend that extra $600 on APs for a park that's 400 miles away? And living 400 miles away with an AP is not uncommon. I know people like this-- I know plenty of people on this board like this! LOL

It will be $100 per person more for you, but it will be more than that for people with So Cal APs....

I can't feel all that sorry for Disneyland. No, they didn't know what was going to happen on September 11, but they knew (or should have known) that the rides were deteriorating and needed to be maintained. Now they're pulling rides down for long rehabs to address long overlooked problems. This would be a good time for people to "take a break" from having APs, especially if they became so much more expensive.

Yes, I'm sure that there are people out there devoted enough to spend $400 to "save" Disneyland. But I just don't believe that there are enough to make your suggestion feasible. I'm good at math, but I don't have any degrees in math or economics or business. Off the top of my head, to break even, at least 50% of all of the Deluxe level APs would have to be willing to upgrade to the $250 level, and my head hurts trying to figure out how many So Cal APs would have to be willing to move up from $89 to $250. (Yes, I know that if more Deluxe upgraded, they'd need less So Cal APs... I'm trying to keep the math SIMPLE.)

Then you have the premium passholders. We have three of them in our house. I had a hard enough time spending $200 on a 3-y/o as it is, let alone a forced upgrade to $250? I'd be more likely to lower his AP level to Deluxe in order to keep it than to upgrade it even further! So they're going to need to keep most of their premium APs to make this just break even.

Then to MAKE money on this plan, they're going to have to sell more APs.

Ok, now I'm going to start shopping around. Disneyland is great and all, but they want my family to spend $750 a year for my family to visit.

From the Legoland Information Guide, (http://www.mouseplanet.com/lig/overview.htm#tickets) I can get three APs there for under $300. (And these aren't the lower level pass, they're premium. My family will even get 3 free tickets a year for guests (and those Legoland newsletters often contain more free tickets for guests, too.) That's less than half the cost of your proposed Disneyland AP upgrade.

So when you consider that people are losing their jobs, Disneyland's maintanence has been downhill, there are less expensive options within driving distance, and Disneyland is a place that many people are scared to visit, nope, I don't think this is a good idea at this time. I just don't think that there are *that* many die-hard Disney fans who would choose to spend so much more money a year so that Disneyland would make more money on this plan.

Adrienne K

MammaSilva
11-14-2001, 08:58 AM
the most obvious solution to the money woes is the stockholders take a long hard look at Uncle Mikeys bonus package and compare it to the state of the parks and his recent bad judgement calls (DCA ...) put the money back into the product and not in the pocket of the man who is in the end responsible for the decisions being made regarding the parks :(

stinkerbell
11-14-2001, 05:00 PM
merlinjones~~just let me know.........:)
I'll be there with tinkling bells on!

coronamouseman
11-14-2001, 10:47 PM
adriennek:

I don't think any of this conversation regarding DLR and annual passes or vacations is relevant to anyone who is going to be affected by layoffs or terminations created by our nation's economy.

However, even in a depression or recession there are still a large number of persons with jobs and leisure money to spend - these are the persons that will continue to support such luxuries as amusement parks, island resorts and international travel.

My point is that Disney should be searching for that formula that allows them to stay in business, retain as much critical staff as possible and to position themselves as best they can for when the economy rebounds either by itself or as a result of the ultimate relaxing of international tensions. My point is that Disney seems to be sitting on their hands at this point, content to layoff or to furlough some of their best in-park service people rather than search for ways to make what best profits they can under current conditions, settle for lower profits but retain key staff and maintain the quality of the park experience "product".

As for comparing DLR to Legoland, Knott's, SFMM or anyplace else - there really is no comparison. Disney is by far more expensive than these other parks and always will be simply because their park experience, even in it's current deteriorating state at DLR, is still better. Would your kids settle for Legoland after going to Disney all of those years before?

No one is suggesting supporting DLR beyond anyone's available means - no one is suggesting supporting Disney if they are unwilling to maintain a quality product and/or tightening their own profit belt in favor of maintaining the parks properly (including staff).

But if Disney does show a concerted effort to do the things mentioned, then for those that do have the resources to spend there should exist the question of whether or not to support at levels even more than before the DLR through such tough times.

As mammasilva points out, it is very hard to be sympathetic to an organization which so blatently and grossly provides financial rewards to questionably successful executives on the one hand and then mercilessly cuts jobs and careers at the lower end of the company ladder to make profits appear bigger thus justifying more bonuses for those same executives.

hbquikcomjamesl
11-15-2001, 08:20 AM
I. Quick fixes

1. In Disneyland, reopen CircleVision (abandoning plans to put the Space Ranger Spin there; there are plenty of other places for it). Institute rotating shows of all extant CircleVision films.

2. In DCA, drop the admission prices (as per a schedule I've posted on another thread). Regarding ticket media, all full-price ticket media would be valid until used, with no expiration date; special limited-time local-resident promotions would be valid for the duration of the promotion, or one month beyond the date of sale, whichever is longest. Special off-season local-resident promotions would be valid during the off-season when they were issued, and would also be valid for two years after, but only on those days when the cheapest annual pass is valid.

3. Also in DCA, reopen Avalon Cove as a mid-priced buffeteria eatery, possibly with one or two Wolfgang Puck dishes, but certainly not exclusively his stuff. It would perhaps concentrate on California cuisine and seafood, but not to the exclusion of meat and poultry.

3. Also in DCA, put a real show into the Hyperion. Maybe a revival of one of the older ones, like the Beauty and the Beast one (my personal favorite).

4. Also in DCA, expand the menu of the little bakery-restaurant at the end of the Boudin tour. Make it into a full-service Boudin shop, with made-to-order sandwiches &c.

II Long-term solutions

1. In Disneyland, stick the Space Ranger Spin into the old Flight to the moon building. Redd Rocket's Pizza Port could move to any of several other places.

2. Also in Disneyland, convert the old Peoplemover track back into a Peoplemover track (but using WDW-MK technology), extend it a bit, and add a second station in North Fantasyland (serving Small World, the Fantasyland Theatre, and ToonTown).

3. Also in Disneyland, update and reinstate the Submarine ride.

4. In DCA, bulldoze Mulholland Mistake, and replace it with something most profoundly NOT off-the-shelf. Perhaps the adjacent retail could also be bulldozed. Isn't that also where the McDonalds is?

5. Also in DCA, completely strip Superstar Lemon, and re-theme it, perhaps (to borrow an idea from another) as a Pacific Electric "Red Car" ride (presumably with at least a cameo appearance by Roger Rabbit and Eddie Valiant).

6. Also in DCA, find a new, less-bulky home for Taste Pilots' Grill, so the existing building can be converted (X-1 on a stick intact) into a simulator attraction based on research flight test. Condor Flats is, after all, supposed to evoke Edwards AFB, the research flight test capital of the free world.

7. Find some way of bringing The Great Movie Ride to DCA.

8. Also in DCA, close the Mission Tortilla Foolishness, and challenge the Imagineers to come up with something that can be a source of pride for Mexican-Americans, rather than a source of embarrassment. It seems to me that Disney has a history of the latter; consider "Casa de Fritos" and the rather pitiful excuse for a ride in the Epcot Mexico building.

coronamouseman
11-15-2001, 02:51 PM
hbquik:

1. How about moving Redd Rocket Pizza Port to (1) WDW or (2) Yesterland?

2. Like the idea of some kind of "test flight" simulator - couldn't they use some of the technology developed for the "Fightertown" chain of air combat simulators? That would actually work nicely if they decided to make DCA part of DTD - they could simply put in one of the "Fightertown" franchises .......

hbquikcomjamesl
11-15-2001, 03:21 PM
Well, somebody must like Redd Rocket's Pizza Port; it's on several lists of favorite restaurants (not mine, though; my reaction to pizza is much like that of my uncle Lars, the first time he saw one: ":eek:Who t'rew up on da lefse?:eek:")

(A lefse is sort of a Norwegian potato tortilla.)

Regarding the simulator ride based on research flight test, actually I was thinking of a non-interactive simulator, much like Star Tours or Body Wars.

On the other hand, I started a whole thread about an interactive simulator idea for Bay Area.

Morrigoon
11-19-2001, 11:08 PM
too many movies/simulators... to few real "rides". Just my $0.02.

SimpTwister
11-20-2001, 01:42 AM
OK, I couldn't stay away from this thread...

Lately I've been thinking more about integrating DCA into DL. I've even utilized my avatar to illustrate this plan!

I'm sure you'll all recognize the layout of the lands, and the locations of the hotels (represented here by the red stars).

OK, here's the plan:

The large red arrow points to the new Main Entrance.

The current plaza between the two parks becomes the new 'Entrance Land', which has a 'Heartland' theme. This is a heavily wooded area with a 'country' feel. It's basically a rural extension of Main Street. We'll call it 'Heartland Plaza' (Dark Green)

The South side of the Heartland Plaza (currently the DCA murals, Golden Gate Bridge, Greetings... etc.) becomes a smaller, alternate Main Street with a '30s or '50s theme (Pink). This area provides the transition between Heartland Plaza and Hollywood.

There will still be a plaza in the Sun Court area, but it will be smaller. Just an ambiguously themed area to serve as a Hub between Hollywood, Condor Flats, and Grizzly Peak. Shrinking this plaza may even give the adjacent lands a bit more growing room (Yellow rectangle).

Grizzly Peak (Brown) and Condor Flats (Teal) remain pretty much as they are.

Hollywood (Lavender) grows a bit; Tower of Terror is added just south of Hyperion.

The Monorail (Black) keeps its current layout, but gets an additional station about where the Hotel Shuttle drop-off is currently located. This will transport guests of the Harbor hotels to DTD and TL. This will temper the Harbor business owners' concern that they are now suddenly located at the 'back' of the park!

The new DLRR gets an expanded layout (Bright Green). It basically turns due south right after the Tomorrowland Station. It then proceeds south along the east side of Hollywood and loops around Timon before approaching the good ol' Main Street Station.

Grand Canyon and Primeval World could be relocated practically anywhere along the new track.

Shown in Light Blue are the areas inside Mega DL that currently are not used or are under-used. Big Thunder BBQ, Sub Lagoon, the area between TL and Hollywood, and Timon.

The area between TL and Hollywood could be a Star Wars Land. An INDOOR re-creation of Mos Eisley, featuring a new, improved Star Tours!!

Timon could become just about anything... With the California theme gone, the sky's the limit. Maybe a version of Arabian Coast, with Sinbad from Disney Sea, and a new E-Ticket Cave of Wonders Magic Carpet Ride!! That would help put some FANTASY and CHARACTERS into the South Side of Mega DL.

Paradise Pier will not be a part of the new Mega DL. Instead, it becomes Pleasure Island, which is a sort of extension to DTD. (White)

Not sure about The Bay Area and Pacific Wharf... They could go either way (either inside Mega DL or as part of Pleasure Island/DTD).

The Dark Red 'U' shape is a new Trolley that runs along the perimeter of the DLR. It serves DTD, Pleasure Island, the Convention Center, The Third Park, the Harbor Monorail Station and several Hotels.

Hmmm... I guess the Monorail and Trolley service over on Harbor are redundant. Perhaps the new Monorail Station isn't needed after all...

OK, that's all... ;)

coronamouseman
11-20-2001, 12:16 PM
I think the idea of a "Star Wars Land" is a great one - in fact, why not let Lucas redesign all of Tomorrowland as Moss Eiseley or Naboo or some other distant locale?

Fits perfectly:

Star Tours (add multiple programs for variety)

Fits somewhat:

Astro Orbiter
Space Mountain (refit with Star Wars-type effects and soundtrack)

Needs work:

HISTA - rework as Moss Eiseley or Tatooine Stage Show (with maybe Jabba the Hutt or even an appearance by the Rancor)

Possible additions:

Alien Encounter (from WDW)
Stage show with dueling lightsabers, Darth Maul, etc.

Just give the job to Lucas, give him a budget he can live with and GET OUT OF HIS WAY .............