PDA

View Full Version : Worried [Upcoming Trip]

Pages : [1] 2 3

Vegitabeta
08-03-2004, 11:57 AM
Hi everyone, wondering if you guys can help me out here. As you can tell by the signature, I'm off to DL in 7 days, but I have been reading through Mouseplanet and stuff, and have realised that there are quite a few rides closed (or about to close) and that the castle is closed. I have also seen photos of the castle with all of it's scaffolding or whatever it is up. This will be my first time in DL and DCA. I don't think that I'm going to have the best time posible with all this stuff closed, do you think that we should of had a discount on park hoppers because of this? We have paid full price and I just don't think it is very fair...Anyone else have this problem??? :confused:

MrJims
08-03-2004, 12:03 PM
Yup...I'm thinking the same thing. My wife, me and my parenst are going down after Labour Day in September, and in addition to what's closed now, the Matterhorn, Haunted Mansion and part of Star Tours closes down...and I paid full price two months ago for the park tickets. My parents have never been either, and this is going to a big disappointment for them without a doubt. At least they are going to see Universal Studios, San Diego Zoo and downtown LA too, but we based out of our Anaheim hotel.

If you find out anything about a discount or consolation gift, let me know!

Vegitabeta
08-03-2004, 12:05 PM
Will Do ;) !

Lani
08-03-2004, 12:06 PM
You might want to mention it at City Hall when you get to the park, at least to let them know of your displeasure.

ppmuse
08-03-2004, 12:13 PM
You might want to mention it at City Hall when you get to the park, at least to let them know of your displeasure.

But I wouldn't expect anything to happen, and I don't see prices going down because of all the down time. We're planning a trip in October, so we can get our AP's for the 50th celebration, and we're expecting things to be closed. But if this is your first time, you shouldv'e waited a year, when the park, hopefully, will be at it's brightest.

Vegitabeta
08-03-2004, 12:17 PM
We didn't know that it was the 50th when we booked it, there is no way we could of known really :(

Mommy2NicknMax
08-03-2004, 12:28 PM
I'm going the same week (Aug 9th - Aug 13th). This is the 3rd time I've been to DL in my life and I couldn't be more excited. I know there are attractions that are closed but I can live with that. There is so much more to do there. Try to be positive about your trip. Look at some of the other attractions and shows. There is all kinds of hidden charm at DL and some of us miss it due to going from ride to ride.

As for the price, I still feel it's worth it. Just go with a positive attitude and you'll have the best time!

blondiemouse
08-03-2004, 12:46 PM
The trouble here in England is nobody knows about Anaheim,everyone knows of EuroDisney and 'Disneyland in Florida' only Disney fans even know of the place..Therefore book a holiday for or including Disneyland and the travel agents knowledge and advice on the place is quite limited so I have sympathy for the girl and her family.Remember as we are travelling a long way from this little island it costs alot of money so familys tend to have to book along time in advance (We are coming back in Feb I booked it 2 months ago !!! ),budgeting working out when the whole family can travel etc.As we all know at Disney things are always subject to change-when we came over in March in the months leading up to our visit Indy was sheduled to go down but reopen while we were there,as it turned out things got put back and it was very closed-shucks I guess it's something to look forward to next time :D

Wendi
08-03-2004, 01:21 PM
Please don't let the gloom and doom of this board ruin anything for you. I think that even with the closures and the castle being tarped you'll have an amazing time. Just think of all the things that ARE up and running. You shouldn't be disappointed when you get there at all, but it's good that you know what to expect before you go.

sediment
08-03-2004, 01:33 PM
I'm not planning to go in the next month or so, so I don't have this problem.

It really is a bad time to go. Most of the horrible cost-cutting measures done by now-GAP employees are being reversed. It's going to take time. It was never going to be easy, and now is the time that the new TDA is doing it.

Meanwhile, there are plenty of other things to do at DLr. you'll just have to come back again someday to do the rest.

CoasterChickie
08-03-2004, 03:04 PM
I'm going over Labor Day weekend (I think. If the Matterhorn is going to be closed that Sat and Sun that might just be the last straw for me) At this point I'm going with very low expectations as far as what rides and attractions will be running...that way I'll be pleasantly surprised if anything turns out to be open or running. I'm going to take my time and look for all the things that people have mentioned at this board that I've never noticed.
And I plan to take some funny photos right in front of that big blue tarp.

But...I do feel bad for the people who are going to DL for the first time. I hope this isn't going to be their only trip in their lifetime. And although I understand the monetary reasons for not doing this, I think that DL should make it more widely known to the public that a lot of the rides and attractions are being refurbished. That way people could decide whether to spend their hard-earned money on a much anticipated trip this year or next year when they will get a lot more for the admission price.

Hakuna Makarla
08-03-2004, 03:24 PM
I also did not know about the refurbishment, the castle not being seen etc. But I am so thrilled to be going that I will just enjoy whats there when I get there. I will get to go on the matterhorn :) but will not get to see the castle, but coaster chickie promised me she would take my picture and superimpose us in front of a picture of the castle :) so you see I will always have a picture with me and the kids in front of the castle ;)
Do not let all the bad things that are going down stop you from having the time of your life, Be blessed and happy for the great things that are there and will be up and running when you get there :)

pboeoahr
08-03-2004, 03:45 PM
We too will be there from the 10th through the 14th. Of course we are not traveling as far (coming from Portland, OR) and we have been many times before. As has already been said there are so many things to do and still a lot of fun to be had.

The biggest part of this trip for me is to see my now 7 year old daughter experience the whole park. The last trip she was only 2 and doesn't remember a thing. The opportunity to see it through her eyes is making me giddy... :D

Keep your head up and don't let things get you down!!!

Susan L
08-03-2004, 03:50 PM
Hi everyone, wondering if you guys can help me out here. As you can tell by the signature, I'm off to DL in 7 days, but I have been reading through Mouseplanet and stuff, and have realised that there are quite a few rides closed (or about to close) and that the castle is closed. I have also seen photos of the castle with all of it's scaffolding or whatever it is up. This will be my first time in DL and DCA. I don't think that I'm going to have the best time posible with all this stuff closed, do you think that we should of had a discount on park hoppers because of this? We have paid full price and I just don't think it is very fair...Anyone else have this problem??? :confused:

So start planning another trip in 2005. You will still have a good time if you love Disney you will overlook the much needed rehab the park needs. I am so glad that the new management is doing what has to be done, Walt would be proud of them I know I am.

Tigertail777
08-03-2004, 11:31 PM
You make that sound oh so easy... but what about people who have to scrimp and save for literally YEARS to take such a trip? I really do think in years past, had they closed so many things at the park at one time you WOULD have gotten some kind of discount, and I have in fact heard stories of such things from family.

No matter how you look at it, it doesnt create any kind of goodwill for the park, nor is it good for busniess to not publically proclaim and warn of all of these closures. This will deter a lot of their normal repeat business; if people are unpleasantly surprised, and feel the company did almost nothing to tell them of what was happening, it creates distrust of the company particulalrly for first time guests. You really think a lot of first time guests will be coming back after seeing all this and feeling deceived? How hard would it have been for Disney to notify all travel agencies even remotely connected with them of these closures and cautioning them about them at the very least? I am sorry but it almost seems like Disney didnt want people to know so they could fool them into thinking that it was business as usual. Beleive it or not, not everyone owns or has acess to a computer, and even those that do, dont necessarily have a clue of where to look for such information. Disney should have been very public and forthright about all of these closures, and very publically proclaimed in more than one media outlet warnings about them.

Yes its wonderful things are getting done finally, but that doesnt do diddly for people that booked plans in advance to go to the park, and were never once warned in any way. Many people who come from other locations may have saved up for a once in a lifetime trip it DOES still happen you know not everyone is a regular park goer. These kinds of people have every right to be upset, its ok for those that can go pretty regularly to say " well just wait and come back later and stop complaining", but what if its truly a major hardship to MAKE another trip? I guess the wonderful new Disney mantra is "oh well its not our problem as long as we get our money, they are just another customer... its not like they are a special guest." :rolleyes:

And yes, when they put the money into the park and paid people to do it, these things could "just happen overnight", remember those famous around the clock work crews? (referrring to the painting and maintenance). I still say Disney should tell all the public in newspaper, tv etc shout it out loud that these closures are happening and put a positive spin on it why be ashamed of it and hide it? Let the world know Disneyland is on its way back, and that there may be some minor to major inconvenicances until its all done. It certaintly would be great publicity to get extra numbers to flock to the park after its all done, and indeed could draw more lookers to the park to see the odd way it looks now.

Frankly a lot of us are tired of these "silent" Disney lies. Remember when your mother told you that not saying anything purposefully was the same as lying? A little upfront truth that is very publically stated would be comforting and refreshing.

Vegitabeta
08-04-2004, 01:19 AM
I totally agree with all that Tigertail. We've been waiting for a little under a year to go to DL and then when it finally comes around, you realize you should have gone next year :rolleyes: We have to sit on an 11hour flight(maybe more) just to get there, so it's not like we can "be positive" about what IS open. Also, even if Disney did advertise about the closures in newspapers and on T.V, it would be very unlikely that people in England would know about it. All Disney adverts in the U.K are for Disneyland Paris and WDW...not DL. Guess that you people who live nearby and have APs can "be positive", knowing that you can go back for the 50th... :mad:

Tutter
08-04-2004, 02:30 AM
Vegitabeta - Disneyland is sooo much more than the rides. You will not be dissapointed - really. It will feel special going to "the original" park, knowing this is where it all started. There is historical interest alone there.

There will still be plenty of attractions on the go, more than you can imagine to see and do from parades and shows. When you go to Universal Studios, you will see the difference between that and Disneyland and Disneyland simply has "the magic" - it truly is themed.

You will enjoy Universal and San Diego Zoo is great too - but do not be dispondant about your trip to Disneyland - you will really really enjoy it - and when you go back (cos once you go once you will go back) there will always be something new to see and do.

Vegitabeta
08-04-2004, 03:10 AM
Thank u! :)

disneyhound
08-04-2004, 05:14 AM
Vegitabeta: I echo the sentiments of Tutter and others who hope you and your family are still delighted with your Disneyland experience. My daughter and I have been to DL each of the last four years. We always go in January-February so the attendance is minimal. There have always been rides closed for one reason or another. Just a lower-attendance time for re-ferb.

I know that our jaunt to DL is only a few hours travel by plane, but we have never been dissapointed. I grew up within an hours drive to the park, I grew up with DL. The joy I now experience as an adult, reliving the DL experience through my daughters eyes is great. My photos flash on my computer screen at work. We will be at DL once again in 2005, not for the 50th, but prior. I have seen the schedule of closures, and expect more.

Don't dispare, when you walk through the main gate, you enter one of the greatest places of your own reality. Walking down Main Street and into the parks still brings a smile to my face just thinking of it. I am still discovering things each time I visit. And with DCA, your time will rush by. One of the greatest thrills my daughter has is finding just the right gift for each of her friends back home.

No worries; life sometimes dissapoints, we can't control anything, except our own thoughts and attitude. Have the greatest time you can imagine, you will! :)

Patrick

Brian Noble
08-04-2004, 07:37 AM
Vegitabeta: I think you'll still have a tremendous time. I don't have to fly quite as far (only four hours rather than 11), but even with that, we are likely to go as a family only once every several years. Our last trip, in late Feb 2004, had the following closures:

Indy
Big Thunder
Space
Mark Twain
GRR
Orange Stinger

This list is comparable to what will be closed on your visit (and this was before Tower opened). My family and I were there for the better part of six days, taking only part of one day off to visit Knott's. We never once lacked for something to do, and *still* didn't do everything we could have.

I'm betting you'll have the time of your life.

I know others have suggested that you speak to folks in City Hall about the closures, but my advice is to wait until the end of your visit, then decide if you've gotten your money's worth. If you didn't, then by all means register your displeasure.

We certainly believe we got fair value, but perhaps our expectations are too low.

snappy
08-04-2004, 08:48 AM
Personally if I were visiting the park and these major rides were down I would reschedule my trip to maximize my $$$/vacation/experience. For instance if I were visiting Disneyworld and 2/3 major rides were down, I would not go. I would feel cheated because I traveled so far and paid the same amount as if the rides were up! Just my opinion when comparing/contrasting between cost/return in fun.

Merm8fan
08-04-2004, 09:28 AM
We just went to the resort this past weekend (haven't been since this past March) and there were indeed a lot of refurbs going on. We noticed right away, however, the way that main street looked so fantastic. This was presumably the result of those buildings having been tarped over earlier in the year. The difference since we were last there was remarkable. We decided then and there that we would not fret about the castle and several rides being "closed" for refurb, as it truly does make a big difference.

That being said, I did consider how I would feel if we were not APers and went to the resort paying a full price hopper ticket. It would have been discouraging, no doubt about it.

It is a shame that Disney has to do some of the work during the summer season. However, I do believe that all of this current work means that DLR is back on the right track and seems to be taking care of long-neglected business. It truly was a night-and-day difference looking at main street this past weekend.

I agree with the other posters that you may want to stop by City Hall and at least register your thoughts on the number of unavailable attractions. I wouldn't suggest going in angling for any freebies or discounts specifically, instead I would simply state that you are a Disney supporter, and are unfortunately disappointed in the limited experience the resort/park is currently able to offer you as a guest. Chances are, the CM there may be more likely to make an attempt to enhance your visit in some way.

Good Luck, and have a great time anyway... you will still feel the magic, I guarantee it!

mystycalchyk
08-04-2004, 09:48 AM
I completely understand where you;re coming from vegitabeta. Although I am only an hours flight away and I have an AP....I dont get to go as often as many of the other APers. We got our first ever APs this year because we went over Christmas last year and we were there for long enough that it was chaper to buy an AP than to buy multiday hoppers. Since we have the AP though we decided to try to get in another trip this year, and we are going at the end of September. Problem is, if it were just hubby and I going I would be fine with the castle being tarped and all the closures (Ive seen them , and I know its well needed), but :crying: we are taking our niece and nephew for their first evr trip and it breaks my heart that of all things the castle is hidden from them. Does anyone know how long it will be tarped over completely like it is? Any chance that it might be visible by the end of Septmeber? :confused:

sami869
08-04-2004, 10:57 AM
If you go during the winter there are usually many things closed and it still cost full price so people who must do everything usually don't plan to go in the winter. It's just common sense. The same hold true for the year before their 50th anniversary when many things are being fixed up. Now maybe you're new to the board and since you're from England you didn't know about all the clousure in preperation for the next year. If that is the case then I am sorry and I can see why you feel this isn't very fair.

I recomend you go with an open mind. Do go there expecting to have a horrible time because if you do that then chances are you're going to have a horrible time. The majority of the attactions will still be open and there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to still have a good time.

experiment626
08-04-2004, 11:03 AM
If you go in thinking you will be disapointed then more then likely you WILL be disapointed. If you go in looking for everything that is wrong you will find everything that is wrong.

Go in with a postive attitude. Look at everything that is open and that is right.