PDA

View Full Version : Matterhorn closure...?

Pages : [1] 2

MrJims
08-03-2004, 11:24 AM
Does anyone know EXACTLY when the Matterhorn is closing? The DL website first said 9/13, then moved it to 9/7. Mouseplanet stated 9/13, then changed to 9/7 and now it's back to 9/13. I know it says "subject to change though".

Is the DL website the correct site? (ie) 9/7 it closes?

If so, that's terrible. I picked that week to go, and now the only mountain open is Splash (which is not one of my favs). The castle's tarped, Main Street's tarped, half the rides are closed, shows are cutting back...definitely not worth the full price of admission (which I paid!!). Had no idea of this (besides Space closure) when I booked 2 months ago...and I check the DL website daily. Thank goodness I found Mouse Planet (although a little too late)!!

BigAlH
08-03-2004, 11:33 AM
Just curious... has anyone actually talked to someone "in charge" (obviously not CM Matt but someone high up) about possibly getting some comp passes to make up for everything being closed/tarped etc. ??

Just wondering if it would get you anywhere. I understand if you are coming from far away the passes may not help too much...

-al

MrJims
08-03-2004, 11:50 AM
You know, "anything" from Disney to make up for the fact that the park is over 50% closed this fall would be great...even a free t-shirt. My wife and I paid $400 CDN (total) for two five day passes, in addition to flight, hotel etc etc. The cost doesn't bother me so long as the park is up and running, and every year we go there's always a few rides shut down, but this year, it's unbelievable. To pay FULL price, and not even be able to see the castle! Granted it's all for the 50th, but this year is the 49th, and to me, it makes it no less special. Having no castle and no rides really ruins the experience...and I'm bringing my parents for the first time in their lives (almost 60 years)...boy, are they in for a treat...not!

Darkbeer
08-03-2004, 12:00 PM
The last I heard, the Matterhorn closes September 7th, 2004 and scheduled to reopen November 24th... But as with everything at Disney, the dates are subject to change.....

Disney Vault
08-03-2004, 12:02 PM
But it is all necessary to have the rides closed now o they can be better in the future. CM Matt is just playing catch up right now. I cant wait to see what he has planned once he is done just fixing all the current problems like painting.

Laffite
08-03-2004, 12:03 PM
Careful. CM Matt reads this!

MrJims
08-03-2004, 12:11 PM
I agree that rides should be shut down for maintenance, but why shut them all down at the same time. They've had a whole year (if not longer) to routinely shut down rides. Every year I go, there is a few rides shut down, but not all of them. I mean when I go this year in September, Matterhorn, Space (not problem with this closure though), BTMR, Haunted Mansion, Tiki Room, Castle, Main Street...I mean all I left to see are Jungle Cruise, Indiana Jones and Splash (and if they even think of adding Indiana or Jungle to that list of closures, I'll be getting a refund somehow). If they are planning to do that much maintenance work, then they should be offering discounted prices or some sort of consolations (and not just the 5 for 3 they always offer, which normally is a great deal). There was no mention of all these closures on the DL website when I booked this trip, and of course, everything is non-refundable.

TP2000
08-03-2004, 12:15 PM
You know, "anything" from Disney to make up for the fact that the park is over 50% closed this fall would be great...even a free t-shirt. My wife and I paid $400 CDN (total) for two five day passes, in addition to flight, hotel etc etc. The cost doesn't bother me so long as the park is up and running, and every year we go there's always a few rides shut down, but this year, it's unbelievable....

Let's assume, just for fun, that Big Thunder Mountain reopens on August 20th. The rides closed when you are there will be:

Matterhorn Bobsleds
Space Mountain
Sailing Ship Columbia
Enchanted Tiki Room
Snow White's Scary Adventures
Haunted Mansion

That is six rides, but it is certainly not "50%" of the rides at Disneyland and DCA. There are approximately 50 rides at both Disneyland and DCA combined, so they would need to close 25 rides to get to a "50%" closure rate. There is nothing scheduled to be closed for refurbishment in DCA during your visit.

That said, and since this was all communicated in advance and "everything is subject to change without notice", I'm not sure you will get free tickets to come back to go on the two E Tickets you missed and see the Castle without tarps.

If I were playing host to people who had never been to Disneyland and Mansion and Matterhorn were closed and the Castle was tarped up for it's long overdue refurbishment, I would still try and focus on all of the dozens and dozens of other wonderful things Disneyland and DCA have to offer.

There will be fireworks on the weekend, which for Disneyland's first 45 years never used to happen outside of the summer months. There are many other classic E Ticket attractions, plus all of the DCA rides and shows, and the Disneyland C and D Tickets that are unique to that Park. Aladdin and Snow White will both play on at least two of the days you are there, I guarantee it, and with just a bit of planning you can see both shows during your visit. There is so much else going on in both parks that if you don't focus on the few things that aren't available to you, you will have a wonderful time in the vast majority of the property that is available to you.

I can imagine that is Disney's thinking behind the concept as well, and they probably won't be shelling out free tickets because a few rides are closed for their planned refurbishments.

Vegitabeta
08-03-2004, 12:15 PM
I agree that rides should be shut down for maintenance, but why shut them all down at the same time. They've had a whole year (if not longer) to routinely shut down rides. Every year I go, there is a few rides shut down, but not all of them. I mean when I go this year in September, Matterhorn, Space (not problem with this closure though), BTMR, Haunted Mansion, Tiki Room, Castle, Main Street...

I've got no problem with BTMR being closed, I have to say...I don't really want to ride that ever again. Also, how is Main Street closed?

BigAlH
08-03-2004, 12:19 PM
But it is all necessary to have the rides closed now o they can be better in the future. CM Matt is just playing catch up right now. I cant wait to see what he has planned once he is done just fixing all the current problems like painting.

I think most of us understand and appreciate this - but to pay full price and have a significant portion of your "fun" shutdown is the problem. I couldn't imagine if we had our 1 major vacation planned for the year and my kids' favorite rides were down. Ugh...

-al

Vegitabeta
08-03-2004, 12:21 PM
I've got to come from England just to visit a half-closed park...

MrJims
08-03-2004, 12:34 PM
I have been to DLR in the past...once every year since 1999 (thanks to my wife, who has been there over 20 times). So this is not my first time. I'm not a little kid, so rides like Dumbo, Pooh etc, while I love them, I can't JUST ride those 100 times everyday (especially when I paid $50 to get into the park).

The Disney coasters (BTMR, Space, Splash and Matterhorn) I could ride all day. Splash not so much because I'm not fond of being soaked for the entire time I'm in the park. Indiana Jones, Haunted mansion and Jungle Cruise I love too, and can ride all day. I'm not too crazy about the rides at DCA either, but I do enjoy California Screaming and Grizzly. Basically my typical day in DL the past few years is do ALL rides once, then ride BTMR, Space, Matterhorn and Haunted mansion until the shuttle arrives to take me to the airport 5 days later.

The fireworks are apparently only going the Sunday night (which is the day I arrive), and Fantasmic only runs Sunday and Friday. I get to DL (because of my flight) in the afternoon Sunday, and in order for me to get to experience alot of rides and shows at least once this trip, we decided to sacrifice a day and go to the park on Sunday for half a day.

So because I don't have the luxury of visiting the park more than once a year, and I see the list of closures for the week I've picked to go this year (I mean at the very least, I always thought I'd see the castle for pictures), it makes me upset. I feel like it's a waste of money. I mean the symbol of DL is the castle.

Bottom line is I'm upset because when I booked my trip two months ago, the only rides closed were Space Mountain and Sailing Ship Columbia, and I could live with that. Now the list is 5 times longer, and they've tarped the castle and Main Street. If I could reschedule my vacation, I would...but everything is non-refundable of course.

TP2000
08-03-2004, 12:58 PM
I just posted the statement below in another thread, but I think it's very valid for this discussion. And it gives everyone a name and address to send their closure concerns to. Let us know what you learn after you write to her.

I think the person we should all be directing these concerns about deferred and delayed Disneyland maintenance, and the ensuing need to have to play "catch up" with several major refurbishment projects going on at once, is the following;

Ms. Cynthia Harriss
Gap Inc. Headquarters
2 Folsom Street
San Francisco, CA

Ask her why she didn't keep the place in better shape during the half decade leading up to the 50th Anniversary, so that the guys who took over for her wouldn't have to cram everything in to a 12 month period just to make the place look presentable again.

If you feel your vacation has been "ruined" because of the several maintenance projects currently underway at Disneyland, ask Ms. Harriss about the decisions she made as Disneyland President from 1999 to late 2003. Maybe she can get you a discount on the new Fall sweaters or something.

MrJims
08-03-2004, 01:10 PM
Thanks. Ya never know, right?! I'd be happy even with a free pin (this way I can start trading pins during the time I would of been in the Matterhorn lineup!).

Klutch
08-03-2004, 02:40 PM
I think it's a given that Cynthia Harriss doesn't give a rip about Disneyland any more. Any letters addressed to her about Disneyland would quickly meet the shredder.

It is a bummer that numerous attractions are down over the next several months. There's nothing to do about it other than not visit the park, or suck it up and enjoy what is up and running. Politely expressing your disappointment at City Hall couldn't hurt, but I expect you'd be among many saying the same thing.

While many great attractions are still running, I can sympathize with those who are disappointed in the park's current condition. Although my wife grew up in LA and visited Disneyland every couple of years, she was never able to ride Matterhorn (her parents wouldn't wait in line). When we visited two years ago, she was very excited to finally ride. You guessed it. It was down for refurb. Bummer to the tenth power! I can't imagine what it would be like to fly accross the ocean only to be met with a tarped castle and shuttered attractions. Most people don't check the web for closures and will be quite upset. :(

disneymania
08-03-2004, 03:49 PM
Guess what, you won't be able to see Fantasmic either. I to am going Sept 7-11. I figured I'd finally be able to see it because I would be there on a weekend. But no, it's shut down too. But think on the positive. It's the slowest week of the year, so lines should be non-existant. :rolleyes:

MrJims
08-03-2004, 03:55 PM
Yeah, but lines for what (the way it's going)...? There won;t be any lines period. Ha!

GrumpyUTboi
08-03-2004, 04:03 PM
Vegi,

I'll ride BTMR 10 times for you if it is open the end of Oct. So will my kids, they love rides like BTMR.

Am I upset that things will be closed? Sure, but the magic of the Disney characters, the kids rides, and HISTA will make it all worth while. Seeing my daughter on her 7th birthday and the smiles that she will have on her face all day is so worth it.

cstephens
08-03-2004, 04:19 PM
Now the list is 5 times longer, and they've tarped the castle and Main Street.

Ummm, Main Street is not tarped. There are certain stores where the storefront is covered, but the shops are still opened, and the covering of the front has been going on for a while now all down Main Street.

Vegitabeta
08-04-2004, 01:22 AM
QUOTE Vegi,

I'll ride BTMR 10 times for you if it is open the end of Oct. So will my kids, they love rides like BTMR. QUOTE

Thanks! :)

Had a little trouble quoting, lol :p

sdfilmcritic
08-04-2004, 06:09 AM
I remember hearing somewhere (I think it was a Dland update a couple of weeks ago) that Matterhorn took the queue line chains and posts down but painted a while line on the ground. Well, I visited the park August 1st and the railings and posts are back up in the usual spots.

MrJims
08-04-2004, 07:59 AM
I know that the entire Main Street isn't tarped, but just the fact that some of the store fronts are tarped takes away from the "fun". Where I live, buildings are always tarped, and 99% of the time it's because of leaky condo syndrome, so I find it hard to associate tarps with a good thing.

And again..the fact the that the "official" DL website makes no mention. Gotta thank Darkbeer again for those pics...without them, I'd still be thinking the park is running as normal. Keep up the updates.

Surfingstitch
08-04-2004, 08:40 AM
I understand where everyone is frustrated with all of the closures in disneyland at the moment.

I get to travel to disneyland myself about 3 times a year.

I recently went to the parks back at the end of May.

I would suggest the following rides and attractions during these closures(even thought I know it doesn't make up for it).

For first time travelers, I suggest making a trip to toontown. You can get pictures with the fab five and take a spin on roger rabbit.

Splash Mountain is still one of my favorites, even though you get a little wet.

Pirates of the Carribean, Jungle Cruise, Dumbo, Alice in Wonderland, It's a small world, the railroad are all nice calm rides.

Indiana Jones and Autotopia are both super fun rides.

I, myself enjoy the rides in DCA also.

My favorite now is the Tower of Terror.

I would also recommend Soarin' over California, California Screamin', Sun Wheel, and the Grizzley River Run.

I hope this helps you in changing your plans a little bit.

Brown Monkey
08-04-2004, 09:56 AM
Maybe we would all feel better if we wrapped ourselves up in blue tarps before we entered the park? ;)

Merm8fan
08-04-2004, 10:22 AM
MrJims:

I was just at the resort this past weekend and the only tarps up on main street were back by the lockers about halfway down the street (not even on the street itself, but on a side alley.) I am sure the tarps will be making their way around the park to tidy up all of the exteriors, but other than the castle, I didn't notice any major coverages. The parts of main street that were completed looked fabulous, better than I can remember... for years.

I know it is a disappointment to have the refurbs to deal with during your visit, but it is truly luck of the draw. We used to have to travel from Hawaii to visit when I was younger (an expensive trip, as driving was not possible) and I have never visitied DL when all attractions were open. Even when my favorite rides were down, it did not ruin the trip.

Also, on any given day, even rides that are "open" can go down for periods due to minor issues. This past weekend, both GRR and CA Screamin' were down simultaneously for a majority of the day Saturday. We rode ToT three times and went back to Screamin' when it started up again.

I hope you have a great visit and enjoy the rides that are available. I also hope that BTMRR will get a clean bill of health soon, and that you hop right on to "the wildest ride in the wilderness!"