PDA

View Full Version : Green dye in the moat, the Tiki Room is closed... Photos from August 2nd

Pages : [1] 2

Darkbeer
08-03-2004, 12:22 AM
http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/181610

ENJOY!:fez:

Photographer
08-03-2004, 05:25 AM
I find it interesting that the sign for Aladdin's Oasis says it's "undergoing improvements." That doesn't necessarily mean it's going to remain the Oasis. Perhaps this Tahitian Terrace you (plural) speak of will reappear...

Mickey_Freak
08-03-2004, 05:42 AM
Thanks so much for the pics :-) I leave in 9 days for D-land. DO you think the tarps will be down by then?????

I will keep an eye out for more pics from you before I leave. I am glad I know to expect it so I wasn't upset when I get there that the castle is traped up.

Thanks Again!!

S

mystycalchyk
08-03-2004, 08:30 AM
I am utterly shocked. I simply cannot beleive what it looks like. Any ideas how long its going to be a tarped up nightmare like this?
And Alladins Oasis is closed? Any idea for how long? I knew the Tiki Room would be down when we go in Septmeber (which was hard but I have managed to make my peace with as long as they dont 'update' it with the tragedy that WDW's Tiki Room became) but I was counting on Alladins Storytime for my niece and nephew. :crying:

And the castle? good grief! :confused:

BriarRose
08-03-2004, 12:24 PM
Wow...that's all I can say.

Vegitabeta
08-03-2004, 12:25 PM
When does the Tiki room open again?

SteveK
08-03-2004, 12:26 PM
I am utterly shocked. I simply cannot beleive what it looks like. Any ideas how long its going to be a tarped up nightmare like this?
And Alladins Oasis is closed? Any idea for how long? I knew the Tiki Room would be down when we go in Septmeber (which was hard but I have managed to make my peace with as long as they dont 'update' it with the tragedy that WDW's Tiki Room became) but I was counting on Alladins Storytime for my niece and nephew. :crying:

And the castle? good grief! :confused:

The Castle is getting a major overhaul...what do you expect it to look like. Would you rather they just let it continue to fade and decay? They can't really put scaffolding up at night and take it down before the park opens each day so everybody will just have live with it the way it is and not let it ruin their trips.

I don't mean to pick on you personally but I've seen several comments on this and other boards along the same vein. It amazes me that there are so many complaints on the board about chipped and faded paint, rides that need rehab, etc. and now that CM Matt is finally trying to do something to make the part better, people still complain because the beautification/rehab of the park doesn't fit into their schedules. The pessimism on the boards is astounding and confusing considering all that is being done in the parks for the 50th anniv. Unfortunately, rehabs don't happen overnight and this is the way the park will be for awhile. I would suggest that if the tarp on the castle (which will be beautiful after they are done) is that dissapointing to you and some key things you want to do aren't going to be available, don't go. Plan your trip for Christmas (the Castle should be uncovered temporarily for the holidays) or for around May of next year when everything except Space should be beautiful and operational.
-Steve

SteveK
08-03-2004, 12:27 PM
When does the Tiki room open again?

I believe it's March of 05.

TP2000
08-03-2004, 12:33 PM
I think the person we should all be directing these concerns about deferred and delayed Disneyland maintenance, and the ensuing need to have to play "catch up" with several major refurbishment projects going on at once, is the following;

Ms. Cynthia Harriss
Gap Inc. Headquarters
2 Folsom Street
San Francisco, CA

Ask her why she didn't keep the place in better shape during the half decade leading up to the 50th Anniversary, so that the guys who took over for her wouldn't have to cram everything in to a 12 month period just to make the place look presentable again.

If you feel your vacation has been "ruined" because of the several maintenance projects currently underway at Disneyland, ask Ms. Harriss about the decisions she made as Disneyland President from 1999 to late 2003. Maybe she can get you a discount on the new Fall sweaters or something.

SteveK
08-03-2004, 12:49 PM
I think the person we should all be directing these concerns about deferred and delayed Disneyland maintenance, and the ensuing need to have to play "catch up" with several major refurbishment projects going on at once, is the following;

Ms. Cynthia Harriss
Gap Inc. Headquarters
2 Folsom Street
San Francisco, CA

Ask her why she didn't keep the place in better shape during the half decade leading up to the 50th Anniversary, so that the guys who took over for her wouldn't have to cram everything in to a 12 month period just to make the place look presentable again.

If you feel your vacation has been "ruined" because of the several maintenance projects currently underway at Disneyland, ask Ms. Harriss about the decisions she made as Disneyland President from 1999 to late 2003. Maybe she can get you a discount on the new Fall sweaters or something.

^^Classic

At the same time, send a letter to Matt Ouimet letting him know how much you appreciate the fact he and his team have gone to so much effort to correct the changes of past management and turn this park back into the jewel it always was. Let him know you understand that there may be some inconveniences for the everday guest (and some spoiled, selfish, overdemanding APers who feel they own the park) but you realize that it will all be worth it in a few months when Disneyland celebrates it's 50th.

-Steve

Disney Vault
08-03-2004, 03:36 PM
Does anyone have a mailing address for CM Matt? I would really like to write a letter instead of an email.

CoasterChickie
08-03-2004, 07:17 PM
I would suggest that if the tarp on the castle (which will be beautiful after they are done) is that dissapointing to you and some key things you want to do aren't going to be available, don't go. Plan your trip for Christmas (the Castle should be uncovered temporarily for the holidays) or for around May of next year when everything except Space should be beautiful and operational.
-Steve

I think you are overlooking part of what people are saying...they already planned and paid for trips not knowing that this was DL's 49th year and that many of the rides and attractions would be closed to prepare for DL's 50th birthday. Some of these trips are non-refundable so they can't change the dates or they will lose money!

The only publicized thing I've heard about DL in the media this year was when they raised the price of admission. When I went last spring, I had planned to go on Space Mountain first thing and guess what??? It didn't ruin my trip, but it was a surprise and a bit of a disappointment.

I'm truly glad that they are fixing everything to make it look new and better.
I'm just surprised that they didn't spread it out more instead of doing so many repairs at the same time.

Barbossa
08-03-2004, 09:22 PM
The Castle is getting a major overhaul...what do you expect it to look like. Would you rather they just let it continue to fade and decay? They can't really put scaffolding up at night and take it down before the park opens each day so everybody will just have live with it the way it is and not let it ruin their trips.

I don't mean to pick on you personally but I've seen several comments on this and other boards along the same vein. It amazes me that there are so many complaints on the board about chipped and faded paint, rides that need rehab, etc. and now that CM Matt is finally trying to do something to make the part better, people still complain because the beautification/rehab of the park doesn't fit into their schedules. The pessimism on the boards is astounding and confusing considering all that is being done in the parks for the 50th anniv. Unfortunately, rehabs don't happen overnight and this is the way the park will be for awhile. I would suggest that if the tarp on the castle (which will be beautiful after they are done) is that dissapointing to you and some key things you want to do aren't going to be available, don't go. Plan your trip for Christmas (the Castle should be uncovered temporarily for the holidays) or for around May of next year when everything except Space should be beautiful and operational.
-Steve

Yo, we're talking about The Walt Disney Company. You know, Fantasia? Lion King? Imagineering? Couldn't they think of a better way to cover The Castle than solid blue shrink wrap? I bet that if Eisner would just loosen his sphincters and cough up some cash, his staff could come up with a shaped scaffolding + photo realistic screening that would at least make The Castle decent to look at. Going to a Walt Disney resort costs big bucks, which used to be cool because everything Disney used to be of the highest possible quality. Lately, however, the parks are losing their sheen despite rising prices. When it comes to cash, Disney rarely gives you a break. Heck, they don't even give you an 800 number when you want to call and reserve a hotel room. (What do you want for $300/night anyway?) Roy Disney is right, the "magic" part of the Magic Kingdom is quickly disappearing. Let's hope there is a shakeup soon.

Btw, here's where you can get your saveDisney.com gear:

http://www.pcxhost.com/store/st1/tp1/products/browse.jsp?category=0&unique=1091596478593&sid=60074553868B636C62BE43F141DEAD3589283AAB

I got the "Wearable Package". I wonder if I could wear the T-Shirt in the parks without getting booted?

SCUBAbe
08-03-2004, 10:02 PM
The Castle decent to look at. Going to a Walt Disney resort costs big bucks, which used to be cool because everything Disney used to be of the highest possible quality. Lately, however, the parks are losing their sheen despite rising prices. When it comes to cash, Disney rarely gives you a break.
We noticed alot of tings that used to be kept up so nice looking run down on our last trip. Disneyland Used to be kept looking really close to 100% at all times. On our last visit they had dead flowers in a disply in fantasyland. If they had been near the HM I may have thought it was theming.....We go to MM also. That park is starting to be kept up nicer. Cleanliness wise DL and MM are about the same lately. Thats really sad for DL...

LLevy
08-04-2004, 07:42 AM
Yo, we're talking about The Walt Disney Company. You know, Fantasia? Lion King? Imagineering? Couldn't they think of a better way to cover The Castle than solid blue shrink wrap? I bet that if Eisner would just loosen his sphincters and cough up some cash, his staff could come up with a shaped scaffolding + photo realistic screening that would at least make The Castle decent to look at.

Funny you should mention that- My sister just got back from London and they are doing *another* cleaning of St. Pauls (I think its a constant process). and guess what you see as you walk up the street towards it? you see a *bit* of scafolding and the rest of the front is covered by HUGH tarps- painted to look like whats behind them. doesn't fool you from up close- but if you want to take pictures- it does give the illusion.. and isn't that what Disneys supposed to be good at?

Linda

SteveK
08-04-2004, 07:51 AM
We noticed alot of tings that used to be kept up so nice looking run down on our last trip. Disneyland Used to be kept looking really close to 100% at all times. On our last visit they had dead flowers in a disply in fantasyland. If they had been near the HM I may have thought it was theming.....We go to MM also. That park is starting to be kept up nicer. Cleanliness wise DL and MM are about the same lately. Thats really sad for DL...

Again, I think you have to be patient as undoing the neglect of the past decade does not happen overnight. Just walking down Main Street now you can see a noticable difference since all the storefronts have been re-painted. Matt and his team realize that the park had fallen into a sad state and they've done alot already. It looks much better now compared to a year ago.
-Steve

SteveK
08-04-2004, 08:01 AM
I think you are overlooking part of what people are saying...they already planned and paid for trips not knowing that this was DL's 49th year and that many of the rides and attractions would be closed to prepare for DL's 50th birthday. Some of these trips are non-refundable so they can't change the dates or they will lose money!

The only publicized thing I've heard about DL in the media this year was when they raised the price of admission. When I went last spring, I had planned to go on Space Mountain first thing and guess what??? It didn't ruin my trip, but it was a surprise and a bit of a disappointment.

I'm truly glad that they are fixing everything to make it look new and better.
I'm just surprised that they didn't spread it out more instead of doing so many repairs at the same time.

I'm not overlooking it at all and completely understand that people want to see the park in all it's painted, untarped glory. And I don't think anyone looks forward to showing up and having several rides down at once. Unfortunately, there's alot to fix before the 50th and Disney really doesn't have much choice. Consequently, spreading it out more than than they already have (look at the refurb scehdules) would not allow them to have it all done by May 5th. As I said in a previous post, their basically trying to undo 10 years of neglect in 1-2 years. Not an easy task but their well on their way.

That being said, since the average consumer (people that don't visit these boards) doesn't know about the 50th prep, Disney could probably do a better job of informing guests about possible ride rehabs when booking trips. However, I don't think Disney would start this practice of possibly scaring people from booking trips...it's all about money in the end.

-Steve

mbrady
08-04-2004, 08:11 AM
In this (hopefully brief) era of catch-up maintainance and penny-pinching budgets, I'm ok with the plain blue tarp. Because at this point, whatever they spend on making a super fancy tarp would probably be money taken away from some other project. I'd rather the money be spent on something permanent or semi-permanent instead of a tarp.
But yes, it is ugly.

CoasterChickie
08-04-2004, 09:15 AM
I was thinking this morning that the situation at DL is similar to when we go to Tahoe in the winter to snow ski but there's no snow or we go to Tahoe in the summer to water ski and there's a thunderstorm. It's a bummer because we only go to Tahoe those two weeks, but we still find plenty of other fun things to do and have a great time. The main difference is that we know that we may not be able to ski depending on the weather conditions so we don't pay for our lift tickets or boat rental ahead of time. And we know that we'll be going to Tahoe again next year.

As I said earlier I feel bad for the people who have already paid for their trips and can't get a refund or will only be able to go this one time. But I do think that they are still going to have a great time!!

mystycalchyk
08-04-2004, 09:58 AM

-Steve

I completely understand the the repairs are needed. I am all for them taking the time (finally) to take care of the neglect. My problem is that I cant afford to cancel this trip. Its done and paid for. Airfare is booked, hotel is booked, tickets bought. Its a done deal. And yes I checked closure schedules before I did anything and NOTHING said anything about the castle being tarped up like a blue smurfberry.
If it were just my husband and I I wouldnt even think twice about it....its the fact that we have scrimped and saved and done everything in our power so that we can take our niece and nephew for their first ever experience at Disneyland, a place we love beyond all reason. And for my niece, who is 8, not being able to even catch a glimpse of that castle will be heartbreaking. Its all she talks about. No, They dont know we are taking them, its a surprise trip, but they know we love it and they know we would love to be able to take them 'one day'. They know that we have promised that 'some day' we hope to take them. They just dont its already planned for September.

All Im saying is that they can do the refurb a bit at a time....cover up the specific part of the castle they are working on and then move on to the next section...so that it is still mostly visible. Heck 1/3 of a castle is better than the blue blob it is now. I mean come on, its the FOCAL POINT of everything.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
08-04-2004, 01:40 PM
I agree with Steve. People want things to be like new and perfect, but they don't want the work to be done. Maybe they should close the park for a month and do it all. Then someone would complain about that too!

mystycalchyk
08-04-2004, 01:48 PM
I agree with Steve. People want things to be like new and perfect, but they don't want the work to be done. Maybe they should close the park for a month and do it all. Then someone would complain about that too!

I guess if anyone could find a post on here about me griping and complaining about the state of the park I could take that as toward me.

Of course the work needs to be done, but there is no way that anyone can convince me that the entire castle needs to be covered. I highly doubt that they are working on the whole thing at one time.
And if they are going to do this they need to post it on the offical disneyland website long before people plan their magical vacations.

I think it would be easier if they just planned a week and close the park during the off season and take care of everything. Disney has enough money to do it right and not alienate people in the meantime.

Imagine it:

"hmmm I want to go to Disneyland...lets check out the offical Disneyland website...oh look, hon they are closed the week of ___ to the ___, for general upkeep. how bout we go the next week?"

instead of...

"hmm I want to go to Disneyland....let me go look at the official Disneyland website...oh look hon, I see a few closures for refurb, no biggie...lets plan a trip for the week of ___ to the ___" .....and then get there and see a giant blueberry in place of the castle. So much for those family pics people dreamed of. Guess it doesnt matter than not everyone can afford to just swing by Disneyland any old time they want and had to plan way ahead for their once in a blue moon dream trip.

CoasterChickie
08-04-2004, 04:02 PM
It's too bad they can't get a crew like the one on "Extreme Home Makeover."
They could probably have the entire castle done in less than a week!

theyates6
08-04-2004, 05:20 PM
I think it would be easier if they just planned a week and close the park during the off season and take care of everything. Disney has enough money to do it right and not alienate people in the meantime.

Imagine it:

"hmmm I want to go to Disneyland...lets check out the offical Disneyland website...oh look, hon they are closed the week of ___ to the ___, for general upkeep. how bout we go the next week?"

Except, what about the poor people who wouldn't know it was closed and planned a trip without checking out the official DL website (not everyone is as internet savy as all of us here :) ) Has anyone seen the movie Vacation (and I know you all have!!) - Does Wallyworld come to anyone's mind? :D

cstephens
08-04-2004, 06:26 PM

Imagine it:

Disneyland is closing for ONE DAY next May, with plenty of advance notice, and some people are still complaining.