PDA

View Full Version : Monorail

derraj25
08-02-2004, 07:58 PM
We were there in February and the monorail system at that time seemed to have seen it's better day. I believe blue was the only "train" running and there was a 20 minute wait at the DTD station.

Have they improved this yet? We are going to be there November 30 - December 4, staying at PPH.

If they have not improved this yet, why in the world don't they have this thing set up exclusively for hotel guests?

Disney Vault
08-02-2004, 08:08 PM
They are in the process of building more monorails. Does anyone know how well this is going so far?

Susan L
08-07-2004, 12:14 PM
Feb 2003 when we were there last the monorail had a lot of problems too. It would be nice when it is down if the offered shuttles for hotel guest. They use to but not anymore. Or am I wrong on that one?

Bruce Bergman
08-07-2004, 07:37 PM
They have the other three trains running AFAIK, and they usually are running two at a time. Monorail Orange is in several pieces in North Hollywood or Burbank at one of the Imagineering facilities, so they can measure all the pieces and make current and accurate blueprints of the old design. After they have that down in AutoCAD, they can design and build new trains. It will be a while yet... :rolleyes:

(I'm guessing two years at a minimum before the first new train can roll. Hopefully they can keep Monorails Red Blue and Purple running that long...)

There's no easy way to run a shuttle service from the DLH to the DL gates if the Monorails are down, unless they drove people through Downtown Disney in a Cushman cart - which would be a big pedestrian safety hazard and they'd need a whole fleet to handle the demand.

It's not that far, especially now that Disneyland Drive ducks under the DTD mall area in an underpass. It's a straight and flat walk, no crossing a busy street.

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

Merm8fan
08-07-2004, 07:55 PM
Last weekend they were running Red and Blue, but Blue went down for a few hours. While Blue was out, they only had Red going and did not bring another online. There was about a 14 minute loop with just Red up. It was no problem getting on at Tomorrowland since everyone has to disembark, but you were not guaranteed to get on the "first" try at DTD.

It's pretty hit-or-miss as far as I can tell. Good Luck! :rolleyes:

sleepyjeff
08-07-2004, 10:38 PM
Still think 3-M should sponser the Monorail---what with all the duct tape they use on the highway in the sky ;)

Merm8fan
08-07-2004, 10:49 PM
Still think 3-M should sponser the Monorail---what with all the duct tape they use on the highway in the sky ;)

LOL! I actually caught myself looking at some examples of that, and could feel the wrinkles of incredulity appear between my brows as I shook my head!

New Sponsor Logo: "3-M & Disney ~ Holding the future together, for you!"

Cloud Buster
08-08-2004, 12:49 AM
Red and Blue are currently the only monorails running. Orange is in pieces off at WDI, and Purple is still undergoing an electrical and dynamic braking rehab on D track in the roundhouse at DLR.

When the Monorail either breaks down, or is reduced to one train, DLR control makes an all call (meaning anyone carrying a radio, which includes me, hears about it). It seems to break down about once a week, usually resulting in one of the trains (usually Blue I think) going down for a while. Tonight Monorails went 101 (broke down) but went 104 (up and running, full capacity) about 30 minutes later indicating both trains were, again, running. (This was at about 8:30 PM)

Bruce Bergman
08-08-2004, 07:36 AM

Hey, you forgot a few more potential Monorail sponsors: Miller Welders, Bondo body filler, Fleer Dubble-Bubble Bubble Gum and "Farmer's Finest" Baling Wire. :D

All mechanical things that get used constantly wear out. They need maintenance, and an occasional full teardown and rebuild. And you have to have new piece parts available to replace the worn ones, or you have to gear up to make new parts.

Those monorail train chassis they're using now are Oooooold (they are still running on the 1968/69 MarkIII chassis re-bodied into the MarkV in the 80's) and have got to have 3 to 5 million miles on each train by now :eek: the rebuilds or replacements are already WAY overdue. Let's all cross our fingers and hope they can keep the old trains running long enough for the new train(s) to arrive.

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--