PDA

View Full Version : When did they take that out?

Gemini Cricket
11-12-2001, 06:14 PM
Wasn't there a ice cream counter next to Sleeping Beauty Castle, near the Stage area where they do the swing dancing?

I know I haven't been there in a long time but when I went earlir this month, it was gone!

How long has it been gone?
:confused:

tabacco
11-12-2001, 06:16 PM
The ODV cart, you mean?

mad4mky
11-12-2001, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by tabacco
The ODV cart, you mean?

No, I am pretty sure he meant the walk up ice cream, soda counter (they served killer rootbeer floats there) where the swing dancing was. There is a ladies bathroom right to the left of the counter.

Gemini Cricket
11-12-2001, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by mad4mky

No, I am pretty sure he meant the walk up ice cream, soda counter (they served killer rootbeer floats there) where the swing dancing was. There is a ladies bathroom right to the left of the counter.

That's the one! I used to get Rocky Road Ice Cream there just before leaving the park every night!

When I was there earlier this month, they still had older people swing dancing there.

Thomas
11-12-2001, 07:15 PM
The restaurant/ice cream is gone. What they did was add an open area of absolutely nothing. See, what they are doing is slowly moving DCA into DL.

coronamouseman
11-12-2001, 07:33 PM
You're referring to the old Carnation Gardens - they had an ice cream stand and a fast-food (more like slow food) eatery.

Just look to the right of where the bandstand is - I think it's all boarded up or behind partitions ........

They still serve ice cream cones (good ones at that) over next to the lockers in the first alleyway (behind the fruit cart) on the right hand side of Main Street (when moving in the direction of the castle).

Morrigoon
11-12-2001, 07:34 PM
Carnation Plaza Gardens, the food location, was closed a couple years ago. One side (the side closest to the castle) sold ice cream, funnel cakes, and root beer floats in a souvenier mickey cup (only $4 back then, not like the monstrosities today that won't even fit in a cupboard). The far side, which was larger, served the usual burgers and fries fare. There were more tables back then and the trees were in fancy planters that matched the Main Street decor and had benches around them.

The swing dancing is there, and you may be surprised to find it's more young people than old doing the dancing!

Also, the roof of the dance area is now that permanent looking tarp stuff.

If they had any brains at all, they would have turned the area into a soda fountain with brass rails and swivel stools to sit on. But that's asking too much apparently.

coronamouseman
11-12-2001, 07:55 PM
Morrigoon:

Sad to say you're probably right.

Sad to say that even the most uncreative marketing person in Disney would not be able to figure out that on a hot summer's day you would have throngs of people lining up to buy frosty ice cream specialties at $6-$7 a pop if the area were themed in even the most cursory way.

Maybe they're too busy planning where to put the next strobe camera to sell pictures of people on rides (Autopia? Tea Cups?
Dumbo? Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln? Gadget Go Coaster?
Small World?)