PDA

View Full Version : Children and Luminaria

oohykitten
11-12-2001, 02:58 PM
Question, is this really a good show to take kids to? I am concerned about the loud "booms" and the smoke in the air can't be good on the young ones lungs. For those that have been there what do you think. Is two to young to sit through that muck?

zapppop
11-12-2001, 03:13 PM
I would not recommend this show.

Don't take your 2 year old to see it. He or she will either get scared or bored. Plus the smoke is not good for anyone at any age.

Show your kids the Main Street Electrical Parade ( that's something you will all enjoy much much more ) but when it's over, leave California Adventure and don't bother to give LuminAria a second thought.

oohykitten
11-12-2001, 03:15 PM
Thank you for your imput. After hearing all these reviews I can't help but think how right No Doubt was "Tragic Kindom" indeed.

zapppop
11-12-2001, 03:19 PM
Yeah it's amazing that there are almost no good reviews of LuminAria at all.

I thought at first that I might be one of the few people who could see how bad it is. After all Fantasmic is very kitschy and thought the same thing would occur. Luckily, everyone saw how crumby LuminAria is.

Ghoulish Delight
11-12-2001, 03:34 PM
Whether your kid will enjoy it is a matter of opinion. I know I would have when I was young (okay, I don't remember being 2, but not a lot older). It's actually not very loud. They stuck to the giant sparkler variety of fireworks, so no banging. And we sat on the pier side, in front of Triton's carousel. No smoke at all, and a great view.

As a matter of fact, there was a toddler, probably under 2, right next to us. And despite his mom, for half an hour saying "Don't worry, there's no reason to be afraid of the big booms. There's going to be some big booms, but there's no reason to be afraid of them" which I was convinced was going to give this poor kid a complex, it didn't bother him in the least. He seemed pretty mesmerized.

Nigel2
11-12-2001, 09:25 PM
The smoke isn't actually that dangerous to the people since you aren't in it for hours on end daily (crowd controll on the other hand...) so it probably only poses irritation to people with sensitive lungs.

Maleficent0
11-14-2001, 03:29 PM
My daughter (3 years old) and I were there on the opening night. There were 2 very loud booms toward the beginning of the show. What's annoying is that they weren't any effect, just loud booms.

Anyway, this prompted my daughter to hide herself under her jacket for the rest of the show. She was scared and had no interest in seeing any more of it.

And before anyone chimes in, she loves the rest of the fireworks shows at Disneyland and Fantasmic.

oohykitten
11-14-2001, 03:48 PM
Yes my son loves, Believe and Fantasmic. I was hoping he would like this one too, but I will just look at the pics, since it looks pretty. And that is about it.

zapppop
11-14-2001, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Nigel2
The smoke isn't actually that dangerous to the people since you aren't in it for hours on end daily (crowd controll on the other hand...) so it probably only poses irritation to people with sensitive lungs.

Still, an irritation is not good.

Ralph Wiggum
11-14-2001, 05:08 PM
I cant say if children will like it or not cause I am not an expert and also different children like different things.

One thing I heard from two different children around me was this

"why dont they have any characters?"

I know its a holiday show and it shouldnt HAVE to have characters but that sounds like what children want to see.

Morrigoon
11-14-2001, 09:36 PM
Disclaimer:
Admittedly, I have not seen the whole show. I have, however, watched all the little video clips of the show that I found on another site. Here's my assesment of what I saw:

Luminaria is full of the little flourishes that turn an okay show into a great one. The problem lies in the fact that flourishes is all it has. There is no "meat" to the show. It does need characters. If Luminaria had Mickey, some Dickensian carolers, and the royals in their holiday garb singing, it would have been a completely different show. Also, from purely a pyro standpoint, it's still only flourishes. They overused the "shooting star" shells, reducing their dramatic impact. They underused pyro on the whole, and many parts have either too little pyro, or empty space, which a show should not have except as a lead into a climax or finale. Had their been a stage show, the dead space could have been gotten away with, but there still needs to be more, bigger, and C O L O R F U L pyro. How about making those cards part of a storyline or talk about how they represent people reaching out to eachother in brotherly love? Whoever designed the show needs to look at the simplicity of the Candlelight Procession and see what it is that is so dramatic. It's not the presence of candles that does it, it's the sincerity of the story. Luminaria has the candles, and no story.