PDA

View Full Version : Lucky to have an AP at times like this

Pages : [1] 2

LAsptsfan3
08-01-2004, 11:16 PM
I was at DLR today and at one point Star Tours, Indy, Jungle Cruise, and Big Thunder were all down. What a dissapointment! I was thinking about the people that come for their one day every couple of years....and honestly with all these rides down in addition to the construction, its just not worth it. Thank goodness i live close and have an AP and can come back and experience these rides when their working. What does Disney do when this happens? 49.50 is alot to pay for no tomorrowland or adventureland rides. I just hope that when some of you that dont visit often come by, the rides will be in better shape and you enjoy your days.

Heres to a flawless 50th.

danyoung
08-02-2004, 05:52 AM
I had this same thought on my last visit a week ago. I live in Dallas, but get out to SoCal 2 or 3 times a year. I've been to DL many times since my first visit in 1963. But looking at all of the attractions down, screens over the castle and a good part of Main Street, etc., I just can't imagine what a first time visitor's impression would be. Well, actually I can - it wouldn't be all that favorable. I'm very glad that Disney is finally fixing the errors of the past. But I'm still ticked off that they let it get this bad in the first place. In today's WDW update here on MousePlanet, they talked about the painting going on in WDW on Main Street. They're basically doing one building at a time, overnight. Now THAT'S the way to do a refurb!

sediment
08-02-2004, 07:59 AM
Sometimes the irony of a thread title is enough.

skoolpsyk
08-02-2004, 08:14 AM
so many people want to end FP to help keep the walkways clear.
Can you imagine how much it would help if ALL the attractions in DL were actually open!?

danyoung
08-02-2004, 09:06 AM
^^ Well spoken!

theyates6
08-02-2004, 09:09 AM
so many people want to end FP to help keep the walkways clear.
Can you imagine how much it would help if ALL the attractions in DL were actually open!?

I know my enjoyment of DL would increase so much more if I didn't have to hear my DH complain about the current state of DL every time he sees a ride closure!!!!

SCUBAbe
08-02-2004, 09:10 AM
the last two times we went rides went down. One day it was matterhorn and splash...the next time indy and splash...BTMR of course is shut down.

MrTomMorrow
08-02-2004, 09:15 AM
I can't wait until next year when we get high-capacity Buzz and the return of Space (which usually soaks up big crowds because of its longer lines)

spectromen
08-02-2004, 09:22 AM
Why was Jungle Cruise down I wonder? Did the natives get stuck?

theyates6
08-02-2004, 09:24 AM
I can't wait until next year when we get high-capacity Buzz and the return of Space (which usually soaks up big crowds because of its longer lines)

I agree....unless of course they don't take into account fastpass when designing the line queues. In which case we have large crowds of people blocking the walkways in two more places. :rolleyes:

theyates6
08-02-2004, 09:26 AM
Why was Jungle Cruise down I wonder? Did the natives get stuck?

They rebelled...they got tired of all of the jokes & bad puns :)

LAsptsfan3
08-02-2004, 09:38 AM
Im actually surprised that riots didnt break out on city hall....i thought about this last night:

1) with Indy and JC down that leaves basically nothing to do in Adventureland

2) In Tomorrowland, Space closed for the 're-launch', Star Tours down, that leaves such fun and excitement like the Astro Orbitor!

3) The Mark Twain and Columbia were off for Fantasmic, and BTMR is down, that leaves the shooting gallery in frontierland.

4) The castle is in shambles and not exactly a kodak picture spot anymore....

how can they charge people full price for this?!?!?!?!?
Total Tally: 3 Lands basically down and a castle that looks more like an earthquake retrofit project.

I think that they should lower the basic admission price while the construction and painting is going on...its not right to charge full when you only get half of what you pay for.

::gets off soapbox::

MrTomMorrow
08-02-2004, 09:42 AM
I wonder if past DL executives are aware of all the scrambling that's being done after a near decade of neglect...

AnnaBanana
08-02-2004, 10:19 AM
I just can't imagine what a first time visitor's impression would be. Well, actually I can - it wouldn't be all that favorable.

I went to Disneyland for the first time last week, and spent 4 days there. My first impression (regarding rides being down) wasn't bad. I guess we were more fortunate than some of the other visitors because for one thing, we had plenty of time to see everything. My first night, my parents and I went into Disneyland around the time the parade was going on. We walked right onto Star Tours...amazing!! After that we decided to go to the Indiana Jones Adventure, but it was down. I actually wasn't too disappointed, knowing we'd be able to ride it later in the week. The next day we went right after the park opened and rode it, and turned out to be very lucky that day. As we were walking out of the ride, a cast member was announcing to people that the ride was down. "It could be 5 minutes, or it could be an hour!" There were a lot of disgruntled people standing in front of her. I think more of my first impression of the park had to do with all the people. Morning at Disneyland was great...not too many people to have to get though. By afternoon though, we were ready to get away from the chaos. We headed over to California Adventure and found that the park wasn't too badly packed. Will I go to Disneyland again? Yes, but it will be at a different time of year...summer is just an insane time to go.

sediment
08-02-2004, 10:24 AM
He's having trouble seeing over the stack of GAP sweaters.

As soon as enough people pay somewhere near full price to get in, then you can be sure of things being up and running a lot more often.

Pedro2NR
08-02-2004, 11:41 AM
If I didn't have a AP I would get disappointed as well. near topic, I went to Sea World for my second time wanting to ride Journey to Atlantis and it was closed down. I knew then how visitors must feel with DL.

danyoung
08-02-2004, 11:54 AM
3) The Mark Twain and Columbia were off for Fantasmic, and BTMR is down, that leaves the shooting gallery in frontierland.

Well, the MT and the Columbia both run during the day, even if Fantasmic! is on that night. So that one doesn't count.

danyoung
08-02-2004, 11:55 AM
Will I go to Disneyland again? Yes, but it will be at a different time of year...summer is just an insane time to go.

I totally agree! I went last week, not really by plan but because I was in town when other relatives were in town. I so much prefer the cooler and calmer off season visits. This goes double for Florida - you can't drag me into the parks in July and August!

sediment
08-02-2004, 11:59 AM
As soon as a high enough percentage of guests are near-full-paying, and as soon as there is an off-season that can be appropriately discounted for the scheduled abundance of being-refurbished attractions, then there will peace and harmony.
It cannot come soon enough.

skoolpsyk
08-02-2004, 02:03 PM
Im actually surprised that riots didnt break out on city hall....i thought about this last night:

1) with Indy and JC down that leaves basically nothing to do in Adventureland

2) In Tomorrowland, Space closed for the 're-launch', Star Tours down, that leaves such fun and excitement like the Astro Orbitor!

4) The castle is in shambles and not exactly a kodak picture spot anymore....

how can they charge people full price for this?!?!?!?!?
Total Tally: 3 Lands basically down and a castle that looks more like an earthquake retrofit project.

I think that they should lower the basic admission price while the construction and painting is going on...its not right to charge full when you only get half of what you pay for.

::gets off soapbox::

I agree and think this is why we didn't see the increase in AP prices on July 17th like predicted on miceage.com. I think they will wait until later on when everything is spiffy and up and running and then say "see!? this is worth paying $$$$$ for!"

cstephens
08-02-2004, 02:08 PM
I was at DLR today and at one point Star Tours, Indy, Jungle Cruise, and Big Thunder were all down.

Well, Big Thunder is down for sure, but Indy and Jungle Cruise must have only been down for a short time. We walked by Indy around 2:30 or 3:00 and I had decided I was going to attempt the ride for the first time in a while, but the wait was about an hour or so, so we passed by it. We came back around 5:15, and it had a posted wait time of 45 minutes. I decided to chance it because the line didn't look that bad, and it turned out that we were completely done with the ride about 30 minutes later, and as we walked out, I waived to a boatload of strangers on the Jungle Cruise.

SCUBAbe
08-02-2004, 02:47 PM
They rebelled...they got tired of all of the jokes & bad puns :)
I was stuck on jungle cruise for 45 min once. The boat jumped the track. Another motor boat came out to us, opened something in the center and got it back on the track....it sucked. It happened right in front of the big elephant.

rentayenta
08-02-2004, 07:06 PM
I was at DLR today and at one point Star Tours, Indy, Jungle Cruise, and Big Thunder were all down.

Add to the above: a blue tarped castle, no Space Mountain, a gaping hole waiting for Buzz, no Tiki Room and a big blue/green empty lagoon are more reasons I'm thankful not to have an AP. I would feel very ripped off.

I guess it's about perspective.

Photographer
08-03-2004, 05:37 AM
You have to cover the castle in order to repaint and repair, just like with all the other buidlings being worked on. Space Mountain is being upgraded, the Tiki Room is getting the TLC it greatly needs. Big Thunder - that's an unfortunate situation.

Sometimes rides go down for 10 minutes sometimes for 10 days. It's just the way it goes. They're used a zillion times a day. You keep up on the maintenance of your car and that has much less stop and go action than a ride vehicle.

I'm not saying it isn't frustrating to get into the park and find your favorite places closed if even temporarily. There are far worse things in the world, however.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
08-04-2004, 01:50 PM
From what I can see, none of the ride closures were planned, so Disney did not "do" anything.