PDA

View Full Version : New water park...is it true?

BriarRose
08-01-2004, 06:06 PM
My mom was reading a DL book a couple of years ago, and it mentioned a new water park being added to DLR. I sort of hope it's not true...DCA was more than enough of an addition IMO.

SallySkellington
08-01-2004, 06:46 PM
Oh, it would be so cool if that were true! Just think, on hot summer days, instead of waiting in a two hour line for Splash Mountain, you could go cool of at the water park!

stan4d_steph
08-01-2004, 07:10 PM
I think potential plans for a third park included possibly adding a water park. Plans for that are on permanent hold due to the problems with DCA. I wouldn't expect anything anytime soon.

Bruce Bergman
08-01-2004, 07:56 PM
Disney has a big chunk of vacant land on the East side of Harbor south of Katella, to the south of the Katella Cast Member Lot (Haster Lot). This was originaly slated for the "Third Theme Park"...

It isn't going to be happening any time soon - they are still going to be growing strawberries there for several more years. At least till they get DCA built out more and drawing enough /paying/ customers to support itself, and Disneyland has a chance to replace several closed attractions and solve their big Tomorrowland vacancy problem.

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

DBJ
08-02-2004, 06:50 AM
That's true, but it's always fun to speculate. Personally, I hope when the waterpark comes, they take a chance and try to blow people away and just don't settle. To a degree, I think the WDW waterparks settled for some very common rides and there doesn't seem to be much happening in the expansion of them.

I would like to see a cross between Blizzard Beach & Schlitterbahn Beach. Blizzard Beach has an amazingly consistent theme, whereas Schlitterbahn Beach uses the lazy river system to create water "q" lines for their master blaster coasters and other attractions. And, it would be nice to put some of the water rides that you find in parks that absolutely drench you, like Knott's Perilous Plunge, Jurrassic Park or water coasters like JTA, in a water park.

If the waterpark they are envisioning is another compromised effort like DCA, then it would be best for it to stay on the drawing board.

Opus1guy
08-02-2004, 09:04 AM
Due to the high seasonality of a water park in the Anaheim area, if you do end up seeing one I'd wager it would be a part of something else. Or it would have to also feature many indoor heated elements and attractions.

Just can't see them allocating a huge hunk of expensive prime in-city real estate like that for a park that might only be operating X months out of the year. Valencia and San Dimas where rates are lower and temps higher...it makes some sense. But Anaheim? Would be tough to justify the dollar per sq. ft. ratio in Anaheim, IMHO.

Might be a better idea for use of that land out there.

Bruce Bergman
08-02-2004, 11:25 PM
:geek: WARNING: Geek Alert! This post will fascinate some and bore many... :geek:

There are ways to make a waterpark economically viable year-round in our climate - they just need to find a cheap heat source for the water.

Open a cogeneration plant - use natural gas or another fuel to generate electricity to run the park and feed into the Anaheim Power grid, and the waste heat from the generators goes into the water.

(And they already have one big cogeneration plant in service behind the Disneyland Hotel right now, with a big stationary Diesel engine running on Natural Gas. {They can probably run it on Diesel in an emergency.} Nice basso profundo burbling from the exhaust when it's running that is easily identified - then I asked to make sure I was guessing right, and surprised the heck out of the Hotel Engineer I asked. Hey, it's a living...)

And/Or build a central chiller plant there to provide air-conditioning chilled water for the Disney Resorts and the other theme parks, the Anaheim Convention Center and the surrounding large hotels on Harbor Blvd. - and instead of dumping their waste heat into the air via a cooling tower, you put most of it into the water-park water.

That will keep the water nice and toasty year-round - even in the winter around here, large buildings need some cooling for interior core areas and large halls, and hot spots like laundries and computer rooms... You can't shut down the chillers at most buildings entirely until the weather is down into the forties F.

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

pammy
08-03-2004, 08:47 AM
I went to Disneyland the week of July 12-15 My familyand I were riding the tram and the driver told us that Disney had brought a piece of land down the street from Disneyland, we passed right by it I think he said it was farmland for 90 million dollars and they were going to put a waterpark there.