PDA

View Full Version : Submarines Re-opening

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

splashmtngurl
08-01-2004, 10:30 AM
According to Al Lutz at miceage, the subs are set to re-open as a finding nemo attraction. Disney is just working with the air quality managment district in accordance to the diesel engines in the subs and once they get permission to re-open the subs its only a matter of time before the attraction gets its overhaul and opens once again to the general public. Just thought this was interesting. 'The subs are back, lets party.'

AVP
08-01-2004, 10:44 AM
One of our sources told us the same thing last week - it's in tomorrow's Disneyland Update. Riders will board a submarine to take an "educational" trip among the reefs to learn about the fish and flora of the ocean. Of course, something will go "terribly wrong," and passengers will be enlisted to help Dory save the day. Our source says that work will begin in August, with the ride scheduled to open in November 2005, the same time that Space Mountain reopens.

AVP

sleepyjeff
08-01-2004, 11:13 AM
:) ..........Penning in a trip to Disneyland for November 2005(maybe December :fez: )

:D

Wendi
08-01-2004, 11:24 AM
:d :d :d

SCUBAbe
08-01-2004, 12:07 PM
One of our sources told us the same thing last week - it's in tomorrow's Disneyland Update. Riders will board a submarine to take an "educational" trip among the reefs to learn about the fish and flora of the ocean. Of course, something will go "terribly wrong," and passengers will be enlisted to help Dory save the day. Our source says that work will begin in August, with the ride scheduled to open in November 2005, the same time that Space Mountain reopens.

AVP
OMG... I hope it doesn't turn out as lame as it sounds...another winnie the pooh ride here we come...:rolleyes:

Disney Vault
08-01-2004, 12:47 PM
Matt wont let it turn into a WtP ride. I cant wait.

SCUBAbe
08-01-2004, 12:58 PM
Matt wont let it turn into a WtP ride. I cant wait.
I hope not, but dory and nemo...OMG..all I can picture are subs with a huge nemo on the side or nemo shaped...with the animated character voices piped into the sub....: dory doing whale, "bbbrruuhhhhh...eeemmmmm..iijjjddd"...or "we have to find...what was his name???" oh yeah nemo (latin tranlation nemo = nobody)....I hope it turns out good though...

Pedro2NR
08-01-2004, 02:45 PM
Will they move the Nemo Sub ride into the Fantasyland section?

SCUBAbe
08-01-2004, 02:59 PM
Will they move the Nemo Sub ride into the Fantasyland section?
Thats where it should be, but maybe they are telling us pixar is the future in animation...:confused:

hbquikcomjamesl
08-01-2004, 03:32 PM
Sounds like a nice idea to me.

Seems to me that the submarine ride would be a perfect place to employ linear induction motor technology, to replace the stinky Diesel engines.

But is there a way to make the subs wheelchair accessible?

DL4EVER
08-01-2004, 04:00 PM
I find it funny that they would choose to resurrect it with Nemo, especially after letting Pixar go.

splashmtngurl
08-01-2004, 05:09 PM
I am pretty excited because something is opening in that area! I think it will probably be a pretty good attraction. I mean, cast member matt wont let it get as bad as WTP :)

BriarRose
08-01-2004, 06:03 PM
Cool! Hopefully I'll be able to get up the courage to ride it. (I'm one of those 'What if' worry warts, being underwater on a ride just scares me) And also, I thought Space Mountain was re-opening May 2005...?

SCUBAbe
08-01-2004, 06:34 PM
Cool! Hopefully I'll be able to get up the courage to ride it. (I'm one of those 'What if' worry warts, being underwater on a ride just scares me) And also, I thought Space Mountain was re-opening May 2005...?
well, they say the water only goes to the portholes. So, if it floods you can just stand. I happen to think if the thing starts to flood people will panic and small children are not as tall as the portholes....it could get bad...also, the thing about the seat cushion going in the prothole to stop flooding..I don't think paniked guests are going to do that and the CM will never make it through the mayhem to do it....

EO's Glove
08-01-2004, 06:34 PM
Rats! Nemo?!?

Bye bye to it being Atlantis?

That would have fit in better with Tomorrowland........

Put the story (que area) as the "legend" and "Myth" of Mylo
and the other explorers, as well as the tale of Atlantis in general,
then you board a present day sub to take a trip to check out
one possible site of the fabled Atlantis.

You'd see the ocean, run into some familiar faces and get
M.J. Fox some voice work.

That would be way better if it was done right.

Why do people say Atlantis TFE was a bad (unpopular) film?
I think it was classic Disney - one of the best of the last 15 years.

Why pump up another Pixar creation?

-EOG

BriarRose
08-01-2004, 06:51 PM
That's a great idea EO's Glove! Personally I thought Finding Nemo was a bit overrated. I liked it a lot but I didn't get what the buzz was all about. I think FN would fit a lot better in DCA, but at least somethings going in that empty water space.

stan4d_steph
08-01-2004, 07:12 PM
Why do people say Atlantis TFE was a bad (unpopular) film? The unpopularity of the movie is born out by the box office, which was disappointing, to put it mildly. I personally didn't find the movie all that engaging. There were some visually brilliant moments, but the story and characters didn't grab me. Too many sidekick, stereotypical characters for my taste.

Bruce Bergman
08-01-2004, 07:44 PM
Sounds like a nice idea to me.

Seems to me that the submarine ride would be a perfect place to employ linear induction motor technology, to replace the stinky Diesel engines.

Sorry, no. KISS principle reigns supreme. :geek: Rigging up linear induction motors underwater along the entire length of the Submarine tracks and the sidings would cost a bloody fortune, and be a reliability nightmare - the motors and all the position sensors would be too prone to leaking and failing, knocking the whole attraction down...

LIM's would need shore-based computer controls on the electrical system and motor controllers, and the individual Subs would need radio computer links to give direction and speed commands. Plus, the Subs aren't moving fast enough to make LIM propulsion effective, where a propeller can be throttled down to a crawl easily.

Alternative fuel conversions for the diesel engines would be a much less expensive and more reliable way to go. They converted one Sub to Compressed Natural Gas a few years before they were shut down, and had it running fine from what I heard. Although the storage density of CNG tanks is a problem - using Liquified Natural Gas or Propane would make more sense from a "enough fuel storage in a small space to last the whole day" problem.

But is there a way to make the subs wheelchair accessible?

It would be a pain to engineer, but Handicapped Access is certainly doable - and if anyone can come up with a way to do it, Imagineering can. You would need to rework one of the stairways and hatches on the sub so part of the stairs swing out of the way for a clear path down, and put guide rails in the sub for a lift.

The lift mechanism and platform would be mounted on a davit from the dock, and the platform would swing out over the sub, line up and mate with the guide rails on the sub, then you roll the wheelchair out onto the lift and lower the guest into the Sub.

They would have to modify a few seats in the sub to provide wheelchair tiedown locations, and space will be tight - which would mean No ECV's, Quickies or oversized wheelchairs. They might require the guest to transfer into a special wheelchair if they have an odd one that the standard tie-downs don't fit.

Oh, and SCUBAbe: The water comes up a lot higher than you think, you are sitting a good 5 feet below the waterline. If a sub flooded totally, you would have about a foot of air below the ceiling, and you would be treading water in there.

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

Pirate Girl
08-01-2004, 08:20 PM
I just hope it isn't one of those "Lets learn about Our Earth, plants are more important than people" educational experiences. Finding Nemo could be great if it's done right!

MrTomMorrow
08-01-2004, 09:03 PM
I don't think it's usually so much "Plants and animals are more important than people," but more like, "How can we coexist with our environment and not destroy it." There are definitely many viable alternatives.

Anyways, I wonder under which land this attraction will be labeled. The entrace is clearly physically in Tomorrowland, but if it's heavily "Finding Nemo," it might go under Fantasyland. Perhaps making it a little more educational about the ocean and its life yet hosted by the characters of Finding Nemo could keep it in Tomorrowland. It reminds me of the Living Seas at Epcot, where characters from Finding Nemo are incorporated into the pavillion but it is still informative and educational.

iAmJacksDLand
08-01-2004, 09:44 PM
Maybe the borders of tomorrowland and fantasyland will change...

Well, with the monorail right above... :rolleyes:

MrTomMorrow
08-01-2004, 10:40 PM
It could become a "Fantasyland Monorail" - Maybe like how there was Fantasyland Autopia and a Tomorrowland Autopia. :)

karl
08-01-2004, 10:44 PM
I've entirely lost track of Tomorrowland.

Oh wait! That's in Florida.

uvsc_wolverine
08-01-2004, 10:54 PM
Well, the borders have changed before. The Matterhorn was originally a Tomorrowland attraction, but it was later "moved" to Fantasyland. Plus, why do they have to keep the entrance where it is? Maybe it could be moved to a different part of the lagoon.

sleepyjeff
08-01-2004, 11:52 PM
Actually Tomorrowland seems to be moving south away from the Sub Lagoon anyway. ie: Astro Orbiter is practically on Main St. and the newly planted vegatation in front of the Plaza Inn is most decidedly futuristic imho. :fez: