PDA

View Full Version : Big Thunder Country Picnic, Tortilla Jo's cantina and Napa Rose - reviews

cstephens
07-29-2004, 10:37 AM
For anyone who might be interested, I've posted the following new reviews:

Big Thunder Country Picnic lunch - http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlrrests/bigthunderpicnic071704.html

Tortilla Jo's cantina dinner - http://www.colddeadfish.net/tjs/tortillajos071704.html

Napa Rose dinner - http://www.colddeadfish.net/naparose/napa072504.html

Thanks!

Dlandmom
07-29-2004, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the reviews! As I like to remind you, I live vicariously through your restaurant reports!

lisap
07-29-2004, 12:46 PM
I have a question for you, cstephens--when making reservations at Napa Rose, can one request a certain area of the restaurant, and are there better areas of the dining room than others?

cstephens
07-29-2004, 03:27 PM
I have a question for you, cstephens--when making reservations at Napa Rose, can one request a certain area of the restaurant, and are there better areas of the dining room than others?

Actually, I'm not sure if you can request a certain area. I've never asked for a particular location when I've made reservations, though I have asked for a specific server. I suppose you could ask when you make the reservation and then see what happens. (Big help I am with that last bit of advice, huh?) I've heard that some people have asked for a table by the windows and sometimes, they didn't get them. I would think that might be a bit hard to coordinate that a specific table is available at a specific time, especially during busy times. The view out the windows is very pretty, but I also think the restaurant itself is very beautiful, so I can't say there's one part that's better to sit at than another. There is so much detail in the decorations that you pretty much get a good view anywhere. If you're partial to being able to better see the open kitchen or want to be further away from it (though it's not loud at all), then that might be something to consider. Otherwise, as long as you're not at the counter seats, I don't think there's much difference between one part of the dining room and another.

CarlieB
07-29-2004, 03:51 PM
Another quick Napa Rose question - am I right in thinking that they tend to change their menus seasonally? We're planning on eating there early-mid December, so I guess they'll be in the middle of either their Autumn or winter menu by then, if that is the case.

cstephens
07-29-2004, 07:25 PM
Another quick Napa Rose question - am I right in thinking that they tend to change their menus seasonally? We're planning on eating there early-mid December, so I guess they'll be in the middle of either their Autumn or winter menu by then, if that is the case.

Yes, they have seasonal menus. Some items are on the menu all the time, but otherwise, things change depending on what's in season. They even tweak their menus on a regular basis. I noticed that on our visit this past Sunday, the menu is slightly different than when I got a copy of the menu on the fourth of July, but both are still the summer menu. Most of the entrees are the same, though the preparation might be slightly different, and one entree has even been added.

Early to mid December, I would probably expect their winter menu.

Wendi
07-29-2004, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the reviews... I really want to try Tortilla Jo's!!!

Christiii
12-20-2004, 03:42 PM
so do I call for ressies at the Napa Rose or what?? how early do I make them?? Id like to take my mom for her birthday on Jan 2nd...do they give discounts for A holders??

Doodle Duck
12-21-2004, 06:12 AM
Thanks for those!

Can't wait for the sit down at Joe's!

The Tacorilla was outstanding in flavor, amount and price. 2 Meat filled tacos for $3.25? Good stuff!

Will do the main room on the 2nd.

Doug

spectromen
12-21-2004, 08:08 AM
I've been hoping for your review of the Candlelight dining package if you went. I had a rather negative experience with it at Storyteller's and was thinking of you at the time, wondering which restaurant you were at! LOL!

cstephens
12-21-2004, 11:09 AM
so do I call for ressies at the Napa Rose or what?? how early do I make them?? Id like to take my mom for her birthday on Jan 2nd...do they give discounts for A holders??

I would definitely suggest calling for reservations. At this point, they might already be full. We tried to have dinner there with friends about a week ago and by the time I called several days before, they were totally booked. But, it was a Saturday night in December with holiday parties and such going on, so I wasn't too surprised. I'm not sure what their schedule would be like for January 2 since it's after the New Year, but I'd definitely call now. Yes, they do offer a discount for premium APs.

I've been hoping for your review of the Candlelight dining package if you went. I had a rather negative experience with it at Storyteller's and was thinking of you at the time, wondering which restaurant you were at! LOL!

Candlelight isn't my thing, so we didn't do the dining package. If we were to for some reason, I'd definitely pick Napa Rose just because I love that restaurant. Hmmm, maybe next year, I'll use Candlelight as an excuse to go to Napa Rose and just give the tickets away...

CrazyTrain
12-21-2004, 11:17 AM
Tortilla Jo's must have really cleaned up their act. We went in August and it was horrible - most noteably the service. I'm not sure if we ate in the cantina, though, so that might be the difference.

The Napa Rose does sound wonderful, though!

cyberRoo
12-22-2004, 09:08 AM
Tortilla Jo's must have really cleaned up their act. We went in August and it was horrible - most noteably the service. I'm not sure if we ate in the cantina, though, so that might be the difference.

Word on the street is that Tortilla Jo's had a rough opening, but has really pulled it together. This comes from CMs, DTD suits, and guests that I've spoken to. Both the service and food quality are supposed to be dramatically improved. I haven't been recently, but I'm looking forward to the next time.

Pammer
12-22-2004, 09:48 AM
We ate at Tortilla Jo's for dinner on 12/6, and had a delicious meal and great service. And our dining buddies loved the fire-roasted salsa that came with the chips! I was able to call the Disney DINE line the night before and make a reservation, and use my AP for the 10% discount...a wonderful experience overall for everyone in my party.

cstephens
12-22-2004, 09:57 AM
Word on the street is that Tortilla Jo's had a rough opening, but has really pulled it together. This comes from CMs, DTD suits, and guests that I've spoken to. Both the service and food quality are supposed to be dramatically improved. I haven't been recently, but I'm looking forward to the next time.

Yes, they have gotten much better, though they still have some organizational oddities that we encountered a few weeks ago. I'm really bummed that they took the soft shell crab off the menu before I had a chance to try it though. :(