PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Millionaire 2001-2004

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

creeptown
07-29-2004, 01:41 AM
This is a follow-up to the DCA Death March post from last week. I had said that Millionaire wasn't going down, it was only returning to it's weekends only schedule. Turns out I spoke too soon. Supposedly, another huge cut to the entertainment budget was ordered and Millionaire was the first of possibly numerous casualties. Millionaire is dead as of Friday, August 20 (couldn't even afford to keep it through that weekend apparently).

So, in Hollywood, this fall, on Tuesdays and Wednesdays we've got Playhouse, Muppets and possibly DUH. And that's it.

The crazy thing is they have nothing planned for the Millionaire building as of now. It will just be a giant empty warehouse indefinitely. I know a lot of people on these boards love DCA and that's great. But attendance there is still in the toilet. How empty buildings and closed attractions will draw people I don't know. It seems to me that rather than the cut the budget, they would have to flood that park with new stuff to draw anybody at all. If they're cutting the budget so drastically that they can't afford to keep a popular attraction like Millionaire open (Millionaire seats 600 and fills it almost every show- actually showing an increase in attendance over last summer while costing less than Aladdin or Playhouse) but they also can't afford to replace it with something else. This does not bode well for the future of DCA.

I loved Millionaire. It was one of my favorites. I guess in my fantasy world, the AP's would storm City Hall in the morning to register their outrage, but realistically, I guess I'll just remember it fondly and wish Disney decisions were more guest-oriented than bottom-line oriented.

TP2000
07-29-2004, 02:37 AM
No one ever likes to see a "favorite" attraction go away, and I'm sorry for that if this rumor is true. (I'm still depressed about the PeopleMover and America Sings)

But, there are certainly more things going on in Hollywood other than Millionaire. If I'm not mistaken, there's a big expensive E Ticket about 100 yards to the south of the Millionaire building. And it cycles through 1,300 riders per hour, which in one day equals many, many times the number of viewers that Millionaire was getting in a day.

In the long term, I think this was a wise decision, especially since the TV show really is past it's prime and fallen off the pop culture radar for most Americans.

creeptown
07-29-2004, 03:17 AM
Yes, Tower of Terror is in the Hollywood area. The point I was trying to make is that the many dozens of people who flock to the Tower each day (the attraction is WAY below projections, by the way- part of the reason for these cuts) have to walk past empty buildings and closed attractions to get there since it's virtually the only thing left.

I also understand that Millionaire has run its course in America pop culturally speaking, but it seems to me that a more pertinent factor in deciding the fate of an attraction is the actual attendance of that attraction (I seriously would not be complaining if Millionaire was done before half-empty houses). I guess I would agree with your theory that this was a wise move if they were replacing it with something more relevant. Last I checked, empty buildings weren't getting big TV ratings either.

BJW
07-29-2004, 04:17 AM
I think the Ouimet regime needs to drastically rethink what they are doing. A theme park is much different from running a cruise ship. This whole corner of the park could be loaded with people with the right amount of planning. If Hollywood & Dine, SSL, Millionaire, DUH, Between Takes, and Muppetvision were all running at the same time everyday without fail a lot of the ToT traffic would frequent this area and possibly ride ToT more than once. (Do the above mentioned during their break and climb right back on ToT) Making this corner a ghost town is just throwing the Hollywood area and a lot of profits right down the toilet!

Also, what about the Coke alien exhibit with the radio announcer at the corner by the monorail track? (and side of Hyperion) This kind of detail is what makes a Disney park special and this could be used as a major hook for something in this area but instead sits unnoticed by most people. (I think I've only heard it mentioned once on these boards.)

MrTomMorrow
07-29-2004, 04:22 AM
Yeah, the removal of Millionaire will definitely make that area of the park even more dead than it is now, with no Superstar Limo or the Hollywood and Dine restaurant.

Photographer
07-29-2004, 05:02 AM
For all we know, this could be Eisner not wanting to give away free pins, hats, polo shirts and cruises anymore....

tod
07-29-2004, 06:00 AM
Dammit.
Dammit.
Dammit.
Dammit.
Dammit.
Dammit.
Dammit.
Dammit (http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm030318tod.htm).

I could go on, but I think I've made my point...

--t

disneymania
07-29-2004, 06:08 AM
I've only been to DCA twice, but each time I went I was struck with the feeling of "what's over here-I'm I supposed to even be here?" in regards to the backlot section. It's like going to Tomorrowland. You get the feeling of "why am I wasting my time?" I almost did'nt see Muppet last time- I did'nt know it was there. It saddens me to see the amount of stuff at WDW, while DLR suffers. I just keep thinking-the park is new, the park is new, the park is new.

jrad32
07-29-2004, 07:45 AM
Was millionaire actually popular though? From reading this board it seems like the audience was mainly made up of APs, but I guess that's not suprising since that's the majority of the people who pass through the gates at DCA (again according to this site).

I did millionaire in WDW during my Feb. 2003 trip and it was OK. Nothing I'd go out of my way to do a second time. But I do understand where you guys who loved it are coming from. I really liked peoplemover (not the most popular ride).

Hopefully with an empty Millionaire building and an empty SSL building we can get some new attractions in there.

I haven't been to DCA since Oct. 2002, and the continued development of a shuttered Tommorrowland-like land there is not going to entice me to come back anytime soon. DCA is not a place I'll be spending $50 to go to until they add attractions and theming and make it worth the money.

sediment
07-29-2004, 08:12 AM
I sure hope that not too much money was spent on making Millionaire's warehouse.
I never went. No regrets.

Xclipse129
07-29-2004, 08:23 AM
When i worked night shift @DCA I would clean Millionaire once in awhile and that place is huge.. if they tore down millionaire, SSL, that hollywood and dine place they could put an awesome new E ticket. How bout RR.. geesh do something .. it starting to look like the real hollywood and vine over there.. will they start to put bums on the streets now.. anyways.. just me .02 cents.. :D

BayAreaDisneyFan
07-29-2004, 08:54 AM
This is disappointing. We have visited DL several times, and had just begun giving DCA a chance on our last couple of visits (most recently 7/3-7/8).
We loved the Aladdin show, and were pleasantly surprised to stumble upon the Playhouse Disney show, and assumed (hoped) there was lots more here to discover. While my wife & kids went on ToT for the umpteenth time, I begged off, wanting to explore the Hollywood area we'd always ignored. My exploration took around 2 minutes (lots of empty stages and walkways bereft of walkers). I wound up sipping a beer across from Cruella's trailer and waiting. Ho Hum. At least Cruella was excellent and charming company ;-)

sami869
07-29-2004, 08:55 AM
I never went, never watned to. Hopefully it won't just sit empty forever and they'll put somethign worth going to in that building.

Brian Noble
07-29-2004, 09:34 AM
Hmmm. That's a lot of contiguous, available, real estate. Hmmm.

sleepyjeff
07-29-2004, 10:11 AM
Hmmm. That's a lot of contiguous, available, real estate. Hmmm.

That's what I was thinking :)

timl33
07-29-2004, 10:18 AM
Dammit.

Hmmm, this really sucks. Millionaire was one of the reasons I bought my AP, if not the MAIN reason, so that I could go over to DCA whenever I wanted.

I might be going up there more often between now and August 20. Anyone for a full day of Millionaire meet?

fjhuerta
07-29-2004, 10:24 AM
Paging Cast Member Matt: Please do something like the RnR Coaster, but change the overall theme...

On second thought, do NOTHING like it. We already have California Screamin', and it's a blast. Listen to the Imagineers. They must have hundreds of terrific ideas just waiting to be discovered!

merlinjones
07-29-2004, 10:42 AM
If they have to make cuts, better DCA than Disneyland.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
07-29-2004, 10:59 AM
I have never done Millionare, guess I won't get the chance. What insider info does anyone have as to the fate of these buildings? It just seems to me like people are just assuming nothing will be done. I just want facts, not just opinion that this and the SSL building will be warehouses.

SallySkellington
07-29-2004, 11:38 AM
Dammit.
Dammit.
Dammit.
Dammit.
Dammit.
Dammit.
Dammit.

My sentiments exactly.

DisneyDustin22
07-29-2004, 11:41 AM
even thought its a copy, it could be updated with new scenes and thats the Great Movie Ride from Disney Studios in FL. Its only fitting that a Chineese Theatre and movie themed attraction would go into a california themed park. Im sure some people dislike it but still, it would be another attraction. Id rather have that than Millionaire. Millionaire was fun, but how many times can you sit and watch other people play the game if you dotn make it into the hot seat.

SallySkellington
07-29-2004, 11:52 AM
Millionaire was fun, but how many times can you sit and watch other people play the game if you dotn make it into the hot seat.

But it's still fun listening to (and causing) the hurried clicking when the right answer comes up. :D

aztectodd
07-29-2004, 12:17 PM
I think this is a great thing. I think they're looking at expanding this area where Millionaire and SSL used to be. Personally, I think that Cast Member Matt is doing the right thing by closing Millionaire. It doesn't draw all that well, they need something better, make a change.

Also, the fact that that Millionaire isn't on the air with Regis anymore, and Super Millionaire isn't all that and a bag of chips, I think that the Millionaire time has come to an end. I'm hoping that DCA starts shying away from things like Millionaire, Soap Opera days, etc. I dont need that at my theme park.

JEFFJAGUAR
07-29-2004, 12:57 PM
I liked millionaire and I consider myself pretty good..

However, your chances of getting into the hot seat if you know something are very slim. Given the fact there are approximately 600 seats and there are only 24 possible permutations of the 4 possible answers, even if you take a second or two to figure out the correct answer, some pimple faced kid will choose an answer at random and will beat you.

Also I just don't understand how I can hit the answer key almost immediately as they light up and after 5 correct answers not see my seat listed...is the whole thing on the level?

Disneyfreak
07-29-2004, 01:05 PM
I say a new E-ticket attraction is in order for this area where millionaire is and ssl. I dont want rock n rollercoaster there though. I want something original and new for once. If they did that, then they would get the people they want.