PDA

View Full Version : Comparing hours of operation between DCA and other parks....

Darkbeer
07-28-2004, 10:48 PM
Let's look at the hours of operation of the SoCal parks...

Disneyland - 8 AM to Midnight Daily - 112 hours per week

SeaWorld San Diego - 9 AM to 11 PM daily - 98 hours per week

Universal Studios Hollywood - 9 AM to 9 PM on weekdays, 9 AM to 10 PM on Sat and Sun - 88 hours per week

Six Flags Magic Mountain - 10 AM to 10 PM daily, except Saturdays (10 PM to Midnight) - 86 hours per week

Knott's Berry Farm - 10 AM to 10 PM daily, except Saturdays (9 AM to 11 PM) - 86 hours per week

DCA - 10 AM to 9 PM daily - 77 hours per week

LEGOLAND - 10 AM to 8 PM daily, 70 hours per week

Interesting, eh? :fez:

disneymania
07-29-2004, 05:59 AM
Considering DCA is so much better looking, and that the rides are better at night (I'm one who likes the park), you'd think they would stay open a little later on off-seasons. You're lucky to get an hour of night during fall.

sami869
07-29-2004, 09:02 AM
My local park (great america) is only open 10-8 :( It just doesn't seem right for an amusment park to close so early, especially when it's still summer time. DCA does look lovely at night. I would easily be able to spend the whole day there and enjoy the experiance more if they stayed open later. I don't see why they don't just open later in the day and stay open later into the night.

nightdesigns
07-29-2004, 10:14 PM
While comparing things, how about comparing prices.

DL $49.75
DCA $49.75
Knotts ~$25 summer promotion
6 Flags ~$26 summer promotion

Pat-n-Eil
07-30-2004, 11:21 AM
All the more impressive that DCA ranks #2 most visited park in the state.

Using that kind of benchmark one can extrapolate that DCA may be the most cost efficient park of the list when comparing operation dollars versus number of vistors per hour. 35 hours less operation time yet still only behind DL.

Thanks Darkbeer, that was very informative.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
07-30-2004, 01:05 PM
But would DCA rank that high if it was not located across from DL?

Zigen
07-30-2004, 04:07 PM
All the more impressive that DCA ranks #2 most visited park in the state.

Using that kind of benchmark one can extrapolate that DCA may be the most cost efficient park of the list when comparing operation dollars versus number of vistors per hour. 35 hours less operation time yet still only behind DL.

Thanks Darkbeer, that was very informative.

The real benchmark would be in $$$. How much profit does DCA make compared to the other parks? It may be #2 in attendance only due to its proximity to DL. If they compared the dollars DL makes to DCA and all other parks, I'm sure DCA would be near the tail end of the list, thus the reduction in hours to save on costs. If they were making the $$$, they would be open late into the night to make more profit from people who want to be there. The sad truth is DCA is a money pit, it's not attracting people. They spent 100mill on a very nice attraction and it still isn't bringing in the people with $$$. Now they have to reduce operational costs to help make up for the loss $$$.

I will say, DCA could be a great night life park. IMO, DCA looks better at night than DL.

Darkbeer
07-30-2004, 07:37 PM
Gee, no more Millionaire, Aladdin cut back to 5 days a week.....

Yep, all is fine and well at DCA:rolleyes:

Pat-n-Eil
07-31-2004, 01:29 PM
If they compared the dollars DL makes to DCA and all other parks, I'm sure DCA would be near the tail end of the list, thus the reduction in hours to save on costs.

State your source - or call it your opinion. I'd like to see the numbers myself.

Pat-n-Eil
07-31-2004, 01:36 PM
Gee, no more Millionaire, Aladdin cut back to 5 days a week.....

Yep, all is fine and well at DCA:rolleyes:

Hey, business is business. If those attractions aren't cutting it, then time to make a new plan.

One of the recurring themes on this website seems to be that everything should stay the way it always was (even inane low-tech crappy stuff like the Submarines or Incredible Shrinking Machine).. but Walt himself spoke of how Disneyland should be a constantly changing and evolving place.. I'm sure this would apply to DCA as well. I went to Millionaire the first time I visited. It was nice. I've never been back to it in my many subsequent trips. It is one of those things that people are either hooked on or they don't give a darn about... apparently, for most people, it was the latter. It seemed to turn into a secret club for APers who manipulated the game to suit themselves anyway making it unattractive and unfair to infrequent or first time visitors. No biggie here.

Funny how people constantly complain about DCA - yet they complain when they change it too. The more I read, the more I understand that agreement and consensus are never to be in our future.

So once again I'll say: I love DCA. My family loves DCA. We spend more time there now than at Disneyland on our annual trip.

People love to point out how DCA is right next ot the park, therefore it is piggybacking on its success. I will give you that as long as you acknowledge that all of the other Disney properties on the top 10 list benefit from their placement near WDW. Then I say.. so what. It is where it is.