PDA

View Full Version : Petals, a DtD shop is the latest closed location

Darkbeer
07-28-2004, 10:09 PM
Well, another shop has closed their doors at Downtown Disney in Anaheim, Petals doors are shut, and the signage has been taken down.....

DCAWhites
07-28-2004, 10:13 PM
Wonder if the rumored Disney "bed and bath" store will replace it.

AaronInCal
07-28-2004, 11:44 PM
I thought I read a while back on MousePlanet that this store was going to close once it's lease was up and the Disney candy store next to it would expand into the space. I could be wrong though.. :)

stan4d_steph
07-29-2004, 07:26 AM
I thought I read a while back on MousePlanet that this store was going to close once it's lease was up and the Disney candy store next to it would expand into the space. I could be wrong though.. :) Your recall was correct. In the DLR Update (http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdates/dlr/dlr040329.htm) for the week of March 29:
…We hear that Petals in Downtown Disney may be closing once their lease expires. The space would be taken over by Disney, and combined with next-door Marcelline's Confectionery to create a Disney Home and Marketplace store. I hope this is true. I love those Disney Home items, and was sad to see them slowly leave WOD.

AVP
07-29-2004, 08:23 AM
Nothing I've heard changes the rumored plans for that location - they hope to have it open for Christmas.

AVP

sediment
07-29-2004, 08:51 AM
Excuse my ignorance, but what business was Petals in?

lisap
07-29-2004, 09:03 AM
Mostly handbags, from what I could see from the window. It always looked to me like a "if you have to look at a pricetag, you can't afford to walk in here" store.

AVP
07-29-2004, 09:05 AM
Excuse my ignorance, but what business was Petals in?They sold very expensive purses. They were owned / operated by the same company as Mainspring, Soliton & Liquid Planet. Mainspring and Soliton merged locations last year, with the Soliton space becoming Jamba Juice. Liquid Planet closed earlier this year, and has reopened as a branded surf shop.

AVP

sediment
07-29-2004, 09:12 AM
And they've been there since DTD opened? Doesn't seem to be a common demographic. WDW, maybe, since there are tons more tourists with expensive purse demands.

mjformenotyou
07-29-2004, 09:22 AM
I bought a purse and wallet there once, but both were on sale, both by Jill Stuart. She's a lower priced higher end designer (if that makes any sense.. they sell her probably at like Bloomingdales, Saks, etc).
They also had like Coach, Anna Sui, Guess, and Le Sport Sac.
Not your Chanel price tag (upwards of $800+), but yeah, kind of pricey if you were just shopping at DTD as a tourist.

On a side note, however, I used to work at Illuminations both in Chicago and in Nor. Cal. And without being too specific (I want to keep my holiday job there!), I can say that their HUUUUGE DTD store is one of the lowest grossing stores. And they just did a sweep of closing stores, thanks to the economy and the lack of "NEED" for fancy candles, and it's surprising they kept this one open considering how slow it is. It's a beautiful store compared to the others though, and I'm sure it was a fortune to open.

mad4mky
07-29-2004, 09:35 AM
They sold very expensive purses.
AVP

I have to dispute this. They were not that expensive. :)

No where near LV prices, Gucci, Hermes, Marc Jacobs, etc.

Nice good, quality purses. Along the line of Nordstrom's...Macys. If you shop at these stores, these purses were along the same lines of their higher quality bags.

splashmtngurl
07-29-2004, 09:39 AM
NO! i love petals....roxy is like my favorite brand and i always stop by there when i'm in downtown disney.....grrrrrrrrrrr!

Dlandmom
07-29-2004, 09:41 AM
I have to dispute this. They were not that expensive. :)

No where near LV prices, Gucci, Hermes, Marc Jacobs, etc.

Nice good, quality purses. Along the line of Nordstrom's...Macys. If you shop at these stores, these purses were along the same lines of their higher quality bags.

Then I think they suffered from a perception problem. Like lisap, I thought it was a higher end place and never even set foot in the store. Had I known it wasn't "that" expensive, I would've gone into browse and maybe even purchase. Marketing problem, folks.

lisap
07-29-2004, 10:40 AM
Had I known it wasn't "that" expensive, I would've gone into browse and maybe even purchase. Marketing problem, folks.

Same here!

If I had only consulted the handbag guru...... :crying: :p

rentayenta
07-29-2004, 12:50 PM
Your recall was correct. In the DLR Update (http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdates/dlr/dlr040329.htm) for the week of March 29: I hope this is true. I love those Disney Home items, and was sad to see them slowly leave WOD.

I love my Disney home items. Our children's bathroom is all Disney and it's so cute. I'd love more of a selection to choose from.

Ponine
07-29-2004, 01:05 PM
I never went in for the same reason, it looked very high end. NOW had I KNOWN that I could have bought a purse under $100 in there, I might have at least browsed.
I'm so finicky about handbags that I love to look, but I figured I'd never be able to afford it, and have to shake off the sales people.

Oopps.
BUT... I do love the idea of the home and bath store. I miss the true kitchen store that DL used to have.
I adore my subtle Mickey stuff. Maybe I'll be able to get some again! Oh happy day! (and poor pocketbook)

bluepearl
07-29-2004, 03:09 PM
Last I heard, Marceline's will not be expanding into the Petals area. The cost of renovating the area to expand Marceline's was just too much at the time. I heard this rumor a long time ago, and remembered to ask someone about it (someone who works for DTD Stores and knows some people would have input in that situation), who gave me that answer. He, however, only gave me the answer in regards to a Marceline's expansion, and did not mention any ideas for the home store.

But I would like the Disney Home store, only perhaps in a different location... how's that island shop doing down the way? The first (and probably only) time I went in there, all the merchandise was really expensive (not to say that Petals, etc. wasn't). So how are they doing in sales? Although the home store at WDW isn't HUGE, it's still a pretty good space, and would like something that could fit as much merchandise here. :shrug: I bought a really cool throw pillow there that fit perfectly behind my neck, for the plane ride home.

AVP
07-29-2004, 04:43 PM
I just checked with some of my contacts today, and they confirmed what bluepearl said - apparently the planned Marceline's expansion is off. I'm trying to see if the person who handles press and publicity for DtD can tell me what's next.

AVP