PDA

View Full Version : Tower of Terror...DL vs. WDW

Pages : [1] 2

MrJims
07-27-2004, 02:44 PM
What is the difference? Is is true that the DL version doesn't have multiple drop sequences like WDW? If not, then what does it do...one big drop? Do the doors open and close before the drop like WDW?

sami869
07-27-2004, 03:01 PM
You still drop and then spring back up a few times and the doors still fly open. My understanding is that at the moment the DL TOT has only one drop sequence but that is suposed to change within the next year so that it will have multiple drop sequences like the one at WDW.

MrJims
07-27-2004, 03:05 PM
That makes more sense. I thought at first that they only had one drop and the ride was over...I was gonna say no wonder noone was riding it. So basically if you ride it now more than once, the ride will not change (ie) you know how many drops you will get.

Thanks for the clarification.

SallySkellington
07-27-2004, 03:39 PM
I know that the one at WDW has a fifth dimension room that's missing at DCA. For more information, check out this thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=30173)

Disneyfreak
07-27-2004, 04:52 PM
I know that the one at WDW has a fifth dimension room that's missing at DCA. For more information, check out this thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=30173)

There is a lot missing on DCA's version. :rolleyes:

SallySkellington
07-27-2004, 05:24 PM
There is a lot missing on DCA's version. :rolleyes:

I know. If the fifth dimension room was in the DCA TOT, I might go on it. But without it, it just seems like a themed Maliboomer. That's probably why no one's going on it; they've fallen in love with the Maliboomer and don't need TOT.

SCUBAbe
07-27-2004, 05:33 PM
I know. If the fifth dimension room was in the DCA TOT, I might go on it. But without it, it just seems like a themed Maliboomer. That's probably why no one's going on it; they've fallen in love with the Maliboomer and don't need TOT.
It's way better than maliboomer. I've been on it many times and although I know when the first drop will happen the rest feels new everytime. For some reason I never get that "lose your stomach" feeling on TOT, but I always get it on maliboomer...:)

Disneyfreak
07-27-2004, 06:50 PM
It's way better than maliboomer. I've been on it many times and although I know when the first drop will happen the rest feels new everytime. For some reason I never get that "lose your stomach" feeling on TOT, but I always get it on maliboomer...:)

True it is way better then maliboomer, but it is by no means on par with Indy.

SCUBAbe
07-27-2004, 07:01 PM
True it is way better then maliboomer, but it is by no means on par with Indy.
indy?...ummm and apples are not like oranges...

Disneyfreak
07-27-2004, 08:25 PM
I wouldn't compare them like that. A ride is a ride. If a ride gives you way more thrill and attention to detail then the other, then that counts regaurdless of the kind of ride it is.

SCUBAbe
07-27-2004, 08:26 PM
ok ...TOT is more thrilling than INDY...Indy has better visuals...:)

Disneyfreak
07-27-2004, 08:28 PM
I beg to differ. I think Indy wins on both those counts. :D
After the first time on TOT it is a piece of cake.

SCUBAbe
07-27-2004, 08:39 PM
I beg to differ. I think Indy wins on both those counts. :D
After the first time on TOT it is a piece of cake.
but indy does not have any thrill factors in it. It's just like going off roading, but you know you're safe. it is very well themed, but there are NO thrills in the ride...Everytime I ride TOT it's thrilling and fun..:)

Disneyfreak
07-27-2004, 08:44 PM
I guess, but I wish they would make the darn ride longer so it would be worth that line.

CoasterChickie
07-27-2004, 09:24 PM
but indy does not have any thrill factors in it. It's just like going off roading, but you know you're safe. it is very well themed, but there are NO thrills in the ride...Everytime I ride TOT it's thrilling and fun..:)

I have a confession to make........

I have never been on the TOT

I was all pyched to go and then chickened out. (The stomach ache I'd had all day went away as soon as I made the decision not to go)

It seems like a completely different ride "fright-wise" than Indy.
I've seen pictures of people's faces on the TOT (a lot of them look terrified)
then they tell me "oh, it wasn't that bad"

It sounds like the one at TOT is better at WDW than DCA according to the pros even though all the hoopla on the website made it sound the same as the one at WDW.

PineapplePrincess
07-27-2004, 09:28 PM
Also...along with every ride having the same drop sequence with the DCA TOT, all you see during the drop is the shaft. In WDW you might see other goodies, such as the guests who disapeared all lighted up. I think that it is much more than the 5th demension room missing. While I could ride the WDW one over and over and over, as in 23 times in a row, and we would have kept going but we were SOOO hungry, I don't really have this urge to do the same with the DCA one. I am just kinda, eh, so it's there. :(

Dlandmom
07-28-2004, 07:20 AM
I have a confession to make........

I have never been on the TOT

I didn't go on it until 2 days ago...hadn't had the chance. I really enjoyed the ride and the theming, but it was a tad short. I've never been on the WDW one, so I can't compare. It sounds like there are more effects and it's a longer ride, but the DCA was a lot of fun for me nonetheless. The only thing that was quite noticeable for me is the length. I wish it could have gone up and down one or two more times before it ended.

I must admit, though, that the elevator is really smooth because I couldn't tell we had gone up so high in the shaft at the beginning. Huzzah to the Otis folks and other engineers who worked on the ride!

MrJims
07-28-2004, 08:33 AM
I know all about that "stomach ache"...here I am almost 30, and I get chicken of ANY roller coaster, in which kids half my age and younger are riding without any drop of fear. I took me forever to get on the TOT in WDW, but it was my honeymoon, and I told my wife I'd try every ride once...and I only rode it once. Now I'm in the same predicament when I go to DCA this September...secretly I was cursing the fact that they moved this ride (of all rides they could of) to California. I liked being so far from Florida (A place I can't easily visit every year). Same thing happens when I ride California Screaming, but I loved the Rock and Roller Coaster in WDW...I think Aerosmith music gets the adrenaline running and makes the fear disappear!

sami869
07-28-2004, 09:48 AM

No one I know has fallen in love with the Maliboomer. Perhaps that is because for many years we have had the Drop Zone which is a much bigger, faster, better Maliboomer type ride. I have never seen the line for the Maliboomer more than 5-10 mins long so I'm thinking not too many other ppl are all that found of it.

I see nothing wrong with TOT being a themed Maliboomer/drop ride. When you look at it like that IASM and POTC are just themed boat rides. Splash MT is just a themed log ride. Space Mt is just a themed roller coaster. It's the fact that it's themed and so well themed that make it fun.

SallySkellington
07-28-2004, 10:39 AM
Good point, sami869. :D

Disneyfreak
07-28-2004, 01:32 PM
No one I know has fallen in love with the Maliboomer. Perhaps that is because for many years we have had the Drop Zone which is a much bigger, faster, better Maliboomer type ride. I have never seen the line for the Maliboomer more than 5-10 mins long so I'm thinking not too many other ppl are all that found of it.

I see nothing wrong with TOT being a themed Maliboomer/drop ride. When you look at it like that IASM and POTC are just themed boat rides. Splash MT is just a themed log ride. Space Mt is just a themed roller coaster. It's the fact that it's themed and so well themed that make it fun.

Exactly, but they dont leave you wanting more, TOT does and I think that is the dagger to the ride. The queue is not long enough, and the ride is way too short. They need to elaborate more on the story when your waiting to get on the ride. If I didn't know what this ride was about I would be clueless going on it.

DefyingGravity
07-28-2004, 05:41 PM
Exactly, but they dont leave you wanting more, TOT does and I think that is the dagger to the ride. The queue is not long enough, and the ride is way too short. They need to elaborate more on the story when your waiting to get on the ride. If I didn't know what this ride was about I would be clueless going on it.

I read a quote from someone who designed the awesome Mummy coaster at Universal, and he said the secret was always leave the guests wanting more- that way they'll come back. Just a thought.

Also, this week's DLR update said that they are going to reprogram the ToT to have random drops like at WDW sometime in 2006.

Opus1guy
07-28-2004, 05:47 PM
Lots here about the ride part of the attraction, but somehow the outside of the tower...the hotel itself...doesn't seem to look as good as Florida's. CAs looks sorta strange to me. Or am I just imagining it?

Disneyfreak
07-28-2004, 05:58 PM
I read a quote from someone who designed the awesome Mummy coaster at Universal, and he said the secret was always leave the guests wanting more- that way they'll come back. Just a thought.

Also, this week's DLR update said that they are going to reprogram the ToT to have random drops like at WDW sometime in 2006.

Then that guy needs to be fired because it doesn't make the guests happy. It doesn't make me want to come back, it makes me disappointed.

Dlandmom
07-28-2004, 07:32 PM
Lots here about the ride part of the attraction, but somehow the outside of the tower...the hotel itself...doesn't seem to look as good as Florida's. CAs looks sorta strange to me. Or am I just imagining it?

I hear ya. I've never been to Florida, but the one in CA looks a little too purple to me.