PDA

View Full Version : Good neighbour hotel... [Desert Palms]

MrJims
07-26-2004, 02:38 PM
Has anyone recently stayed at the Desert Palms On Katella in a normal deluxe room? All the reviews I find are for suites, and not the standard room. Any input would be greatful. I still have time to change my hotel reservation if it's terrible. Thanks.

MrJims
07-27-2004, 03:12 PM
Wow...96 hits and not one person has stayed here in a normal room...I guess that's my answer! Ha!

SCUBAbe
07-27-2004, 05:42 PM
I've never stayed at the desert palms. I have stayed at a crappy motel on harbor (it didn't even have room sevice :eek: , the marriott, GCH and PPH, but thats it. Sometimes travel websites have reviews of the rooms....

stan4d_steph
07-27-2004, 05:48 PM
Has anyone recently stayed at the Desert Palms On Katella in a normal deluxe room? All the reviews I find are for suites, and not the standard room. Any input would be greatful. I still have time to change my hotel reservation if it's terrible. Thanks. What kind of information are you looking for? How big the normal room is?

MrJims
07-27-2004, 07:18 PM
I've stayed at many hotels along Harbour and Katella in the past, but this year I chose the Desert Palms b/c of a AAA discount. Before and during it's construction, tripadvisor.com reviews were saying it was the most terrible hotel in Anaheim. But since the construction/renovations, the only reviews I can find are those families that have stayed in the new suite rooms, and they say it has become one of the best hotels around.

I was just wondering if anyone has stayed at this hotel in a normal (not suite) room, which is what I booked, and can say good things about it (ie) clean, comfortable etc.

lisap
07-28-2004, 06:15 AM
We stayed at the Desert Palms several years ago, before the renovation, so I don't think I can help much. The only thing we liked about it at the time was the location--the rooms were pretty ick. However, if they have updated it recently, I'm sure it's much better. Sorry I can't be of more help.

mjformenotyou
07-28-2004, 06:58 AM
Like lisap, we stayed there many years ago (probably about 6) before the reservations, and it was awful. Small rooms, and kind of gross. And if I remember correctly, they sort of lied to us about how big the room would be and how many people would fit comfortably in the room when we made reservations (although I must say, this is not the first place to do this. But if we had say, 6 of us, wouldn't they want us to get a second room rather than to cram us into a "suite"? This would mean more money for them, yeah?)

Near the park, however.

I hope that they made it better with the renovations.

Lindsay

DisneylandForever
07-28-2004, 07:11 AM
I've stayed at many hotels along Harbour and Katella in the past, but this year I chose the Desert Palms b/c of a AAA discount.

Just for the AAA discount? Almost all of the hotels on Harbor offer that. Unless of course that particular hotel offers some sort of different AAA discount than the rest, I suppose.

I also stayed there before the remodel. Didn't particularly care for it. The location is good if you like being close to 7/11, but there are at least 10 hotels I'd rather stay at before the Desert Palm. So I guess when it comes to answering your question, I wasn't too helpful! LOL - sorry. But my advice would be to stay somewhere a bit closer. At midnight your tootsies will thank you.

MrJims
07-28-2004, 08:18 AM
Sorry it wasn't a AAA discount, it was an Expedia discount...I live in Canada, and the total cost for 6 nights came to $400 CDN with taxes. That's the cheapest I've ever stayed in the Anaheim area for that length of time. AAA gave the hotel (since their renos) 3 stars, which is better than the other hotels I've stayed at.

Distance is not a factor to me...even after 14 hours in the park, I tend to still have the energy to walk back (I've stayed further down Katella in the past).

Appreciate the input from everyone. I guess it's gonna come down to a gamble on my part.

rentayenta
07-28-2004, 08:33 AM
I haven't stayed at any of the Good Neighbor hotels but this holiday season we are going to be staying at the Howard Johnson's. I have read so many great things about it on this site and others. I was given the managers name and email. I contacted him and he has been most helpful in getting us a room with a balcony and a room with view of the fireworks and a rollaway free of charge. He took care of my reservation and has been very efficient. I would look into it as another possible option. His name is William Simpson and of course I can't find his addy. My ever efficient hubby deletes everything. I'll search around for it.

MrJims
07-28-2004, 08:40 AM
Actually I stayed at the HoJo last September, and while it was given 2 AAA stars, my wife and I loved it. It was clean, comfortable and the two pools were a great luxury after a day at the park. I basically had that booked for this year, when cash flow became an issue, and it would cost almost $150 more to stay their than at Desert Palms. That $150 went towards a day at USH, which is something I'd been dying to see. We like to try a differrent hotel each year if we can, and with the cheap cost, we couldn't pass it up. Hopefully it doesn't end up being the worst decision of my life.

Highly recommend the Hojo!! Would stay there again in a heartbeat.

rentayenta
07-28-2004, 08:44 AM
Cool, I'll stop looking for the addy :)

Sheila
07-28-2004, 11:37 AM
I've never stayed at the desert palms. I have stayed at a crappy motel on harbor (it didn't even have room sevice :eek: , the marriott, GCH and PPH, but thats it. Sometimes travel websites have reviews of the rooms....

:cough: ;)

MP Review System - Desert Palm Inn & Suites (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/display.cgi?product-sku=dlrdesertpalminnandsuites)

Sheila

sjcivilady
07-28-2004, 11:57 AM
We stayed there fall, 2001. We thought it was a great hotel for the money - we got a manager's special (they give you a better deal when you are buying your park hoppers from them.) Our room was very clean. We walked west to a pedestrian entrance that puts you in the Timon parking lot and rode the shuttle from there. The free continental breakfast was fine - got boring, so we ate in the park our last day. Having a fridge and micro was great - we had leftovers from Rainforest Cafe and that saved buying a dinner one night.
What we had done was call several hotels in our price range according to the AAA book and asked what kind of deal they would give us for room & tickets.