PDA

View Full Version : Re: closure 5/4/2005

sediment
07-26-2004, 09:38 AM
The official media event launches the celebration May 3 to 5, 2005.
So, DL will be closed May 4 2005, for a media event? Maybe I'm reading too much into this.

danyoung
07-26-2004, 09:44 AM
I personally think that this is the best thing they could do. I was foolish enough to attend WDW's 25th anniversary event in the Magic Kingdom. Foolish, because I thought I'd get a first hand view of the event. Not a chance. They had big screen video walls set up in Tomorrowland and Liberty Square, so I could watch the speakers (Eisner, Roy Disney, Hillary Clinton, etc.) on TV. Well, I could do that at home! I was so ticked that I wrote my one and only letter to Disney, complaining bitterly. I mean, they promoted like crazy for me (and all interested parties) to come to this event, only to shuttle me off to watch it on TV? Unforgivable!! I got some free passes out of the deal, and a video of the event.

Now they're realizing that the needs of the media and the needs of the guests are sometimes incompatible. So they're breaking things up - take care of the media on the 4th, then start the crowds on the 5th. A perfect solution, one that I hope works well for all concerned.

sediment
07-26-2004, 09:49 AM
So, all that "final touches" crap was just that: crap?
I'm going to look up that first official statement about DL's closing.

danyoung
07-26-2004, 10:06 AM
I should quickly say that I have no knowledge of this at all. I was going from your statement that there was a media event on the 4th, which sounded like a good idea to me. I'll be interested in what you find out.

sediment
07-26-2004, 10:53 AM
I saw it in the MP DLr update. I had heard that it would be closed for a different reason, though. Sprucing up, or some such now-nonsense.

sediment
07-26-2004, 10:55 AM
MP search feature is disconnected. I guess it will have to wait.

sediment
07-26-2004, 11:00 AM
Same update, a little over halfway down:

Disneyland closed on May 4, 2005 to “put the finishing touches” on the 50th Anniversary celebration. DCA open on May 4.

If "putting finishing touches on celebration" equals "letting in media to look and report back," then ok. That seems a bit of a stretch, though.

AVP
07-26-2004, 03:16 PM
Methinks there is entirely too much reading between lines going on.

The press event is May 3-5. That's ALL we know about that right now. Major media events are multi-day events, usually with international and network broadcast media coming in early. Print and local media are usually only involved on the last day. NOTHING I have been told or heard suggests that the media will be inside Disneyland on the 4th, although I would not be at all surprised if there is some kind of party that evening.

Disney has said that they are using the 4th to do the last-minute preparations for the 50th celebration, and I'm sure they don't mean photo ops for the press.

AVP

Pilot Mickey
07-26-2004, 03:24 PM
Why did they choose May, 4th anyways?

Mickeyslittlehelper
07-26-2004, 03:45 PM
I dont know but i think because they wanted the 50th to start 05/05/05

sediment
07-26-2004, 03:46 PM
When you read that backwards, it's "50\50\50"!!

sediment
07-26-2004, 03:53 PM
"Final touches," to me, means adding things on 5/4/05 that they do not want up on 5/3/05, or before the anniversary celebration period begins.
So, what could they be?
Banners, flags, balloons all over the park.
Special gold paint for railings, benches, etc.
Paving Main Steet (difficult to do when open, and takes too long to harden overnight), possibly with gold flecks or lights or something.
A media event could allow them to show these last-minute additions and modifications. How many media folks would be allowed in at any one time?