PDA

View Full Version : 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea's fate = Submarine ride's fate?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Alf
07-26-2004, 09:02 AM
As I am sure you all know, 20,000 LUTS is being drained and paved over to create a nice little meet and greet area. Do you think this could be the future of the Sub ride area at DL?? if so what are you thoughts?

danyoung
07-26-2004, 09:08 AM
Well, drained and paved over doesn't leave much room for recovery, does it? Until they come up with a budget for the next big thing, I'm guessing that this area will be yet another meet & greet for years to come.

SoCalDisneyLover
07-26-2004, 09:08 AM
As I am sure you all know, 20,000 LUTS is being drained and paved over to create a nice little meet and greet area.

"They Paved Paradise, And Put Up A.....Meet & Greet Area."

SallySkellington
07-26-2004, 09:16 AM
No! I never got to see the submarine ride, I've been hoping they'll bring it back so I can go on it. From what I hear, it was great. It would be terrible if they paved over it!

JeffG
07-26-2004, 10:49 AM
Just to be clear, the original post was referring to the sub lagoon at Walt Disney World being paved over. At least at this point, there are no known plans to do that at Disneyland. I'm guessing it isn't too likely to happen at DL simply because of the location.

-Jeff

danyoung
07-26-2004, 11:19 AM
Ahhh - that wasn't clear.

Alf
07-26-2004, 01:20 PM
As I am sure you all know, 20,000 LUTS is being drained and paved over to create a nice little meet and greet area. Do you think this could be the future of the Sub ride area at DL?? if so what are you thoughts?

Hmmmm I dont how I could make that more clear.... Leagues under the sea is in WDW and Sub ride is in DL.... but I'll try better in the future

danyoung
07-26-2004, 01:25 PM
You are absolutely correct, sir. The only thing cloudy was the interface between my eyes and my brain!!! I visit both parks quite frequently, so I tend to get confoozed from time to time. Sorry for spreading the confuuzion around!

And BTW, nice form in your last post! So many online folks feel that they need to shoot back an insult when they're questioned, or otherwise get back in my face for ever DARING to doubt their valuable information. We all screw up from time to time. It's nice to come to resolution without any verbal mudslinging!!!

SallySkellington
07-26-2004, 01:27 PM
Just to be clear, the original post was referring to the sub lagoon at Walt Disney World being paved over. At least at this point, there are no known plans to do that at Disneyland. I'm guessing it isn't too likely to happen at DL simply because of the location.

-Jeff

And I was referring to the "could this be the future of the sub ride, what are your thoughts" part.

Alf
07-26-2004, 01:59 PM
Verbal mudslinging is lame! I took your comment as constructive.

Alf
07-26-2004, 02:01 PM
My prediction is that they'll pave it over and put the old subs on display... along with the BTMRR Engines and whatever else it is that they decide to trash.

sleepyjeff
07-26-2004, 07:35 PM
A Disneyland Museum.....hmmmm.

:eek:

SCUBAbe
07-26-2004, 07:37 PM
A Disneyland Museum.....hmmmm.

:eek:
museum or junkyard...:(

MrJims
07-26-2004, 07:44 PM
I'm surprised that have done nothing for "Atlantis" in DL...I never got a chance to experience the submarines, but my wife tells me that they were nothing special. You'd think with today's technology, they'd be able to come up with an awesome Atlantis/submarine ride...keepin' them fingers crossed I guess.

sleepyjeff
07-26-2004, 07:48 PM
museum or junkyard...:(

Exactly!! I don't want to go to Disneyland to see what I could be enjoying if only Eisner did'nt junk the place..... :crying:

sleepyjeff
07-26-2004, 07:53 PM
You'd think with today's technology, they'd be able to come up with an awesome Atlantis/submarine ride...keepin' them fingers crossed I guess.

I know! Walt Disney turned an Oragne Grove into a submarine voyage with limited funds and 1950s technology.......Why can't this huge corporation, with mega funds available and 21st century technology turn a submarine voyage into a Submarine Voyage :confused:

MrJims
07-26-2004, 07:59 PM
The more I hear about the DL of old, the more I wish I had seen it...I mean rides like the "people mover" sound and look like they were a blast. The best they could do is "rocket rods"...and it wasn't hard to see why they shut down.

It seems like they are focusing too much on DW over DL...I mean "mission space" and "rock 'n roller coaster" are great new additions.

They need to dip into their billions $$ and hire some new minds with new fresh ideas...bring back the Disney of old (make Walt proud). Atlantis subs would be an excellent starting point.

SCUBAbe
07-26-2004, 08:07 PM
why were they (subs) dis-continued? I've heard about the leaky lagoon, but there's still water in it so it still leaks. I've heard about the chlorine fading the visuals and how tacky the visuals are. However, that doesn't seem to be a good reason the stop the ride. (The tikki room is still open)

I was telling my BF about the ride. He has never been on it. When I explained how slow they are to load, how cramped the inside was, and how they were in the water, but didn't dive...well he had a thought. It may be legal reasons. Although they never had an accident that I know of if they did they could be a death trap. If the sub started to flood people would panic and crush people trying to get out. Also, not everyone would be able to evacuate quickly and the subs could flood drowning people. That may explain why both the parks in the states closed there's, but I'm not sure why Diseny seas has one. Unless it's more difficult to sue over there....from what I've heard a different company built the park and leases the right to use the disney characters and name. (company may be the wrong word and I may not completly understand how disney seas operates.) Maybe the japanese are not as sue happy as americans...

sleepyjeff
07-26-2004, 09:02 PM
I believe they shut it down to ready it for a major overhaul(Atlantis).....when they saw how miserable this movie did at the box office they nixed that idea. They never re-opened it because the initial re-opening would cost them more money than they were really willing to part with....cheapskates :mad:

SCUBAbe
07-26-2004, 09:04 PM
I believe they shut it down to ready it for a major overhaul(Atlantis).....when they saw how miserable this movie did at the box office they nixed that idea. They never re-opened it because the initial re-opening would cost them more money than they were really willing to part with....cheapskates :mad:
is that why they closed DW also? That doesn't make much sense to me.

Disneyfreak
07-26-2004, 10:12 PM
If they were to ever fill in the submarine lagoon I would throw my annual pass away and never return. That would be the final straw. :|

sleepyjeff
07-26-2004, 11:21 PM
is that why they closed DW also? That doesn't make much sense to me.

No, it was closed years before Disneylands. It was having major maintainence issues if I recall correctly.

DisneylandForever
07-27-2004, 05:59 AM
From what I remember it was shut down for a huge refurb. Whether or not it was for the Atlantis thing, I don't know. Either way the theming was a bit old and hokey, so they were probably going to change it up a bit. Even the 'sea serpent' had a goofy sorta Pete's Dragon grin on his face.

I don't think legal reasons shut it down, or kept it closed. I agree with the guy who said they were cheapskates.

As for its fate now, I doubt it will ever get paved over. Even though the subs don't run, it's still a beautiful lagoon. The waterfalls still work, and they even have one of those Kodak "picture spot" signs up overlooking the lagoon to let you know "this spot is nice so take a picture."

Alf
07-27-2004, 07:05 AM
why were they (subs) dis-continued? I've heard about the leaky lagoon, but there's still water in it so it still leaks. I've heard about the chlorine fading the visuals and how tacky the visuals are. However, that doesn't seem to be a good reason the stop the ride. (The tikki room is still open)

I was telling my BF about the ride. He has never been on it. When I explained how slow they are to load, how cramped the inside was, and how they were in the water, but didn't dive...well he had a thought. It may be legal reasons. Although they never had an accident that I know of if they did they could be a death trap. If the sub started to flood people would panic and crush people trying to get out. Also, not everyone would be able to evacuate quickly and the subs could flood drowning people. That may explain why both the parks in the states closed there's, but I'm not sure why Diseny seas has one. Unless it's more difficult to sue over there....from what I've heard a different company built the park and leases the right to use the disney characters and name. (company may be the wrong word and I may not completly understand how disney seas operates.) Maybe the japanese are not as sue happy as americans...

No no no, The new manangement who is responsible for killing most of DL's favs (not Matt) shut it down because it could not process enough riders to keep up with rehab costs. Plain and simple... it all comes down to the sweet sweet stinky green cash money..hundred dollars bills yall.

Alf
07-27-2004, 07:36 AM
http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al072704a.htm

I guess my question has been addressed!! "The subs are back, lets party!!" well they will be anyway... I think we all owe Matt a big thanks...