PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else spend over a decade at the park with "Papa Doo Run Run"?

LoisLnKent
07-25-2004, 05:27 PM
Last weekend I was watching a friend of mine play at the park. And I had a moment of Deja vu when I saw the crowds of young girls swooning in the front row at "Club Buzz". To me that stage will always be "Tomorrowland Terrace". I just don't care for the new look or name. But I see that Disneyland is still the place to meet with friends. Dance and have a good time. Not to date myself..... But the dance floor wasn't some place where you could just gather in a group. You had to have a dance partner of the opposite sex. Or else you had to sit that set out. Thank goodness for Marines. We could always count on them to dance. LOL! Papa Doo Run Run will always be part of my special Disney memories. I was just curious to see how many people out there spent their summers, Easter break, and Christmas vacations dancing to this bands music. Or feel ancient like I do thinking of how many years have actually past. Ouch! LOL!
LoisLnKent

mrs_toad
07-25-2004, 11:51 PM
I grew up in the SF Bay Area and graduated from high school in 1980.

I never saw Papa Doo Run Run at DL, but we used to have them do a show at our high school every year. It was a really big deal. I had to laugh when I read your post -- a definite blast from the past. The band's name is not one that is easily forgotten.

That must have been so cool to be dancing at DL to a live band's music, how fun. I do remember being at Magic Mountain with a YMCA trip, probably around 1977. They had a dance area there and I remember dancing one night to almost every song. Getting asked to dance over and over again, I couldn't believe it -- what luck!

These days we don't even bother our husbands. All of us "girls" get out there and dance. If the guys feel like joining in, that's fun too! No more waiting to be asked, that's for sure!

odnamraortsac
07-28-2004, 05:01 PM
I remember seeing Papa-Doo-Run-Run perform on the Tomorrowland Stage where "Honey I Shrunk The Audience" is now located. It was the Summer of 1979 and they were backing-up veteran Surf-Rockers, Jan & Dean. Brian Wilson made a brief appearance during their set. They were a good band and drew a good sized crowd. I miss that large stage.

Opus1guy
07-28-2004, 05:17 PM
I was just curious to see how many people out there spent their summers, Easter break, and Christmas vacations dancing to this bands music. Or feel ancient like I do thinking of how many years have actually past.

Oh yeah. Only saw them probably a hundred times. :)

Another regular performance for many years in Tomorrowland was the comedy team of Skiles and Henderson (http://www.laugh.com/main_pages/comicpage.asp?cid=241). They were a riot.

This thread made me think about another performer at Walt Disney World and wonder what became of him. I posted the inquiry the WDW forum here (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=30599) if anyone can help. Thanks.