PDA

View Full Version : DCA Death March

Pages : [1] 2

creeptown
07-24-2004, 12:50 PM
So, this fall with budget cuts intensifying, Aladdin will go dark on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Millionaire returns to weekends only. So, if some poor sucker drops $50 to visit DCA this fall on a Tuesday, they will stroll down to the line-free Tower of Terror and walk through the ghost town that is the Hollywood Pictures Backlot. An empty Millionaire building, an empty Superstar Limo building, an empty Hollywood and Dine, and an empty Hyperion Theatre. Might as well shutter the place. I just hope that if they make the wise decision to close DCA and use it for storage. They change the CALIFORNIA letters out front to say STORAGE.

TimBuk2
07-24-2004, 01:04 PM
CREEPTOWN - what is your source of info on the Fall closing of attractions at DCA? Just curious.

dlazechk
07-24-2004, 01:04 PM
to follow from your logic, the same should hold true for DL with SM, rocket rods, subs, BTM when it is closed et al. if DCA is such a farce, my guess would be that you have only visited it once and will not be going back. becuse of park hopping, i do not have to choose between the parks. if i had to choose, i would choose the dca experience. the only reason we spent time at dl for 9 days this christmas was fantasmic and believe. BTM, SM and the original HM are the only rides that are can't miss for us at DL and none were available to us on our trip. so the AP we bought was basically for DCA and this was before TOT opened.

SCUBAbe
07-24-2004, 01:58 PM
to follow from your logic, the same should hold true for DL with SM, rocket rods, subs, BTM when it is closed et al. if DCA is such a farce, my guess would be that you have only visited it once and will not be going back. becuse of park hopping, i do not have to choose between the parks. if i had to choose, i would choose the dca experience. the only reason we spent time at dl for 9 days this christmas was fantasmic and believe. BTM, SM and the original HM are the only rides that are can't miss for us at DL and none were available to us on our trip. so the AP we bought was basically for DCA and this was before TOT opened.

I feel the same way. Our last trip I made a point on going on rides we normally skip. Then I remembered why we normally skip them. The only must do's for us at DL is splash and space. BTMR is ok, but not a must do and the matterhorn is ok occasionally, but it is a rough ride. On the other hand DCA has 6 must do's for us. :) I'm comig to the conclusion that those with young children perfer DL and ones without or with older kids like DCA. My parents are even leaning towards DCA more. They fell in love with maiboomer on our last visit.:) DCA is my daughters favorite park between DL & DCA.

MouseEars07
07-24-2004, 02:33 PM
DCA is a great park! My family enjoys both parks! Stop the "DCA bashing" and enjoy not criticize the park.

Disneyfreak
07-24-2004, 02:39 PM
DCA is a great park! My family enjoys both parks! Stop the "DCA bashing" and enjoy not criticize the park.

Well criticism is what it deserves.

Darkbeer
07-24-2004, 05:08 PM
Excuse Me! But they are cutting back the shows, it has been in the works lately, and the entertainement staff was just given the heads up (6 weeks before the scheduled reductions...)

It is news....

I was at USH today, I realized that DCA operates the least amount of hours per day this summer (I think LEGOLAND is tied, but USH, SFMM, Knott's and SeaWorld San Diego open earlier and stay open later...)

These are facts, if you enjoy DCA great... but there is a problem of getting full paying guests to visit DCA (while USH gets many folks to pay $100 for a single day Front of the Line pass!)

SCUBAbe
07-24-2004, 05:38 PM
Excuse Me! But they are cutting back the shows, it has been in the works lately, and the entertainement staff was just given the heads up (6 weeks before the scheduled reductions...)

It is news....

I was at USH today, I realized that DCA operates the least amount of hours per day this summer (I think LEGOLAND is tied, but USH, SFMM, Knott's and SeaWorld San Diego open earlier and stay open later...)

These are facts, if you enjoy DCA great... but there is a problem of getting full paying guests to visit DCA (while USH gets many folks to pay $100 for a single day Front of the Line pass!)

however, that does not mean it's a death march....that's a little over dramatic...

Tigertail777
07-24-2004, 05:55 PM
I'm comig to the conclusion that those with young children perfer DL and ones without or with older kids like DCA.

ummm no thats as much generalization as just outright stating DCA hate for no apparent reason. I am 32 have no kids and openly and proudly admit I far and away prefer Disneyland over DCA. Now for the kinds of rides that DCA is trying to give to people, I lean quite a bit more towards Magic Mountain, or Knotts. I do grow tired of roller coasters after a bit at MM, but thank goodness they still have a few non coaster rides, two of my faves being "Jetstreamer",(yes I know they renamed it "splashdown" now), and The Log ride. Plus I do like the Tidal Wave on a hot day though it doesnt get you as wet as it used to. If MM brought back some more of their non coaster rides, I would definately say I prefer MM hands down to DCA. Knotts, even though they are slowly changing it to a coaster kingdom, is still a very nice park and seems to have more variety than MM, and probably DCA as well. If I want a thrill park, like most of DCA is trying to be, I am sorry but I get more thrills elsewhere, and in the case of Knotts, better themed thrills.

I am not sure frankly who DCA is trying to appeal to? It seems a very schizophrenic (sp?) park, and as I have stated before by its very nature breaks up families even more than Disneyland does, so its certaintly not a family park.

Now having said all of that, I will say there were some very nice enjoyable things in DCA; loved the animation building, Soarin' was pretty nice, GRR was kind of fun (just wish there was more to look at on it). I sure as heck wouldnt ever pay full price to get in again, but if I found a good discount I may go as a add on to Disneyland.

sleepyjeff
07-24-2004, 06:14 PM
I just don't see why they don't change DCAs hours a little. Open around noon and close late in the evening. This Park is really not too bad after the sun goes down....why don't they work from that positive? :confused: :confused:

CoasterChickie
07-24-2004, 06:32 PM
I just don't see why they don't change DCAs hours a little. Open around noon and close late in the evening. This Park is really not too bad after the sun goes down....why don't they work from that positive? :confused: :confused:

I wish that the parks had the same hours. We split our time between the two parks in the two days that we're there , but it means going to DL from 8-10 a.m., DCA from 10-10, and back to DL from 10-12 on one of the days. It makes for a lot of running around. I would love it if you could visit one park all morning, take a break in the afternoon, then visit the other park all evening. I agree with you that DCA is not too bad after the sun goes down...you've got the electrical parade and the TOT and California Screaming seem scarier in the dark.

GeminiAngel
07-24-2004, 08:23 PM
I'm 35, Hubby is 41. Our daughter is 2. We both love the whole feel of DCA. To us for some odd reason the place is... well, cozy.

As mamma use to say: if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

If ya don't like it, don't go. ;)

splashmtngurl
07-24-2004, 08:59 PM
As is see it, Matt Ouimet is doing a lot of work with DCA and if everyone would stop complaining about it and give it a chance they would see it's changing. I mean honestly, would you rather have a crappy ride like SSL open with nobody riding it or not have it there @ all? I also think you have to give the Aladdin show a break, the actors do want a time-out once in a while.....wouldnt you? I dont see why Millionaire should close but........i dont see it as a big loss considering that it isnt a major attraction (at least not for me) And who knows, maybe if People go through hollywood picture backlots and find that the only thing open is TOT maybe they wil take the chance to ride it. Perhaps Disney is trying to promote TOT a lil more. Lots of things are in store for DCA in the future, just sit back and you'll see, DCA will grow into a good park someday. Remember, Disneyland has had 49 years to grow and DCA has only 3-4 years old, GIVE IT SOME TIME!!!!!!

just my oppinion.......it always has been!

Hayley

cstephens
07-24-2004, 09:14 PM
however, that does not mean it's a death march....that's a little over dramatic...

Some people like to do that sort of thing.

BJW
07-24-2004, 09:29 PM
As is see it, Matt Ouimet is doing a lot of work with DCA and if everyone would stop complaining about it and give it a chance they would see it's changing. I mean honestly, would you rather have a crappy ride like SSL open with nobody riding it or not have it there @ all? I also think you have to give the Aladdin show a break, the actors do want a time-out once in a while.....wouldnt you? I dont see why Millionaire should close but........i dont see it as a big loss considering that it isnt a major attraction (at least not for me) And who knows, maybe if People go through hollywood picture backlots and find that the only thing open is TOT maybe they wil take the chance to ride it. Perhaps Disney is trying to promote TOT a lil more. Lots of things are in store for DCA in the future, just sit back and you'll see, DCA will grow into a good park someday. Remember, Disneyland has had 49 years to grow and DCA has only 3-4 years old, GIVE IT SOME TIME!!!!!!

just my oppinion.......it always has been!

Hayley I think this shows poor planning on Ouimet's part. With SSL closed it will leave hardly anything to do in this area when Millionaire and Aladdin are closed. SSL at least would give people something to do when they're not watching DUH or standing in line for ToT. I don't think SSL has been given a proper chance as DCA was not drawing nowhere near as many people now as it did when this ride was open. As for ToT, it is underperforming as a new attraction. Just a new ride alone should be able to attract people to the park, but its things like dead areas in the park that keep people away. It sounds like to me that he's counting on ToT of doing all the work while the rest of the park underperforms. Wise planning would be getting a new attraction to drag the people in and make the rest of the park better and better (without dead areas).

splashmtngurl
07-25-2004, 02:33 PM
I suppose your right, and i myself have wondered why ToT isnt bringing in as many people as it should be for a new ride. Of course there is one in DW so it isnt as special. I personally thought superstar limo STUNK but they should have left it in operation untill they found something new to put in their. Matt and disney imagineers are working on a new e-ticket ride for DCA though and the plan is to put it in the spot where SSL you to be......so i guess i am still saying that even though i think some of the decisions were poor ones, people need to give DCA a chance and let it grow.....its a baby....give it some time!

GrumpyUTboi
07-25-2004, 08:13 PM
My family and I did not really like DCA. The reason for the dislike is that I have a 9, 6, 3, and 2 year olds. So my wife, my son and I were tall enough to go on the big ridess. I did houwever like the attractions such as the movies and such that were there.

I did not like the fact that the park closed at 6pm during the week. It seem more magical to ride the rides when it is at night.

creeptown
07-26-2004, 01:27 AM
As for my sources, let's just say I'm on the inside and probably shouldn't be posting here.

In case I was misunderstood, Millionaire is not closing, it is returning to weekend only operations (although supposedly there are more cuts coming). My only point being that midweek there will be nothing to do in Hollywood. I don't think DUH is going to be 7 days either.

This wasn't meant to be another bash-DCA thread. It's just to point out that the park has never drawn well and the main complaint is that there isn't that much to do there. So, Disney is responding to the small crowds by giving them less to do. Seriously , in February when there are no lines, you could do everything in that park in 2 hours.

Also, as to the person who mentioned that the Aladdin actors need a break. That is a union gig, so nobody was working 7 days a week. Many actors will be let go or have there days slashed to accomodate a 5 day schedule. Millionaire hosts have suffered a similar fate.

jrad32
07-26-2004, 07:29 AM
Funny how the DCA lovers jump in and start firing away even though the thread is simply providing news about what's going on with the shows, and how the dwindling performances could affect the park.

Thanks for posting Creeptown.

SCUBAbe
07-26-2004, 08:36 AM
Funny how the DCA lovers jump in and start firing away even though the thread is simply providing news about what's going on with the shows, and how the dwindling performances could affect the park.

Thanks for posting Creeptown.

It's also funnny how DCA haters jump in and post thet this is prrof the park is on a death march......both sides sre guilty...OMG it's like politics...LOL

sediment
07-26-2004, 09:08 AM
So, if some poor sucker drops $50 to visit DCA...
Really, how many people do this?
If more people did it, then CM Matt would probably reopen those things seven days a week.

jrad32
07-26-2004, 10:40 AM
I did it once, and I plan on that being the only time until they make that park into something worth visiting.

TimBuk2
07-26-2004, 11:39 AM
I agree with some of the points here, but we all have to remember that it IS a different park, and it has to be. Besides, DCA was not in Walt's dream, and I don't think it would be there if Walt were alive today.

DCA does need help, but I do like most of the attractions. But it's a lot smaller, and has closures at times. So that's where I feel EVERYONE is getting ripped when they have to pay full price for DCA. It should have been cheaper from day 1. Maybe $25, that would get a LOT more people inside. And spend MORE money with consessions and such. That's where the money is. Gate fare only pays the basic bills, I'm sure.

sediment
07-26-2004, 12:13 PM
If everyone paid $25 to get in, then it would not be a failure.

AlohaJulie
07-26-2004, 02:53 PM
Any word on the fate of DUH come the fall?