PDA

View Full Version : New Years Eve 2004

piratefamily
07-24-2004, 10:16 AM
Hi All,
My family and I are going to be at the parks for the New Years celebrations. I have been told about the crowds :eek: , but we are brave and my parents will be watching my kids at the GC on that night (so it will be our turn to be kids again). Anyhow , I was wondering any and all info about this NYE or any past NYE celebrations ( pics, events, musicians, fireworks, CA events, Etc...
Thanks a bunch in advance for any help, "PirateDad"

ozbeauticn
07-24-2004, 02:17 PM
NYE at DL has become a tradition for me, and I will also be there this year. I can't say all that goes on, because I always sit in front of the castle from about 6 or 7pm on so I can be front row for NYE fireworks and show. At the castle they always have great fireworks at midnight and also mickey and other characters come out and do a little number. The past 2 years the Groove 66 singers from DCA performed. Last year they had a special stage set up and some lady came out every half an hour from 10-12. Also, they play they remixed disney songs all night.

Also, by It's A Small World they have a big dance party all night. Over in DCA last year I know they did something called Noon Years Eve for the kids, and had bands and things for NYE, but I'm not really sure. I could tell you a lot more, but my scrapbooks are all in storage right now.

The park is crowded, but if you know how to work Fastpass and when to do certain rides, it is totally manageable. To me it doesn't really feel much different then the summer crowds. The only thing you have to remember is if you want to be able to be somewhere specific (like in front of the castle) at midnight, you need to be there WELL in advance. Oh, also, they give out free paper hats and horns, so it gets pretty loud with everyone running around blowing them nonstop. And, if you sit in front of the castle waiting for midnight, there are always beach balls flying around. I've gotten hit in the head many times, but everyone loves them. Sorry to write so much, it helps me get excited to be going also. NYE is one of my favorite times at Disneyland.

Disneyfreak
07-24-2004, 02:35 PM
NYE at DL has become a tradition for me, and I will also be there this year. I can't say all that goes on, because I always sit in front of the castle from about 6 or 7pm on so I can be front row for NYE fireworks and show. At the castle they always have great fireworks at midnight and also mickey and other characters come out and do a little number. The past 2 years the Groove 66 singers from DCA performed. Last year they had a special stage set up and some lady came out every half an hour from 10-12. Also, they play they remixed disney songs all night.

Also, by It's A Small World they have a big dance party all night. Over in DCA last year I know they did something called Noon Years Eve for the kids, and had bands and things for NYE, but I'm not really sure. I could tell you a lot more, but my scrapbooks are all in storage right now.

The park is crowded, but if you know how to work Fastpass and when to do certain rides, it is totally manageable. To me it doesn't really feel much different then the summer crowds. The only thing you have to remember is if you want to be able to be somewhere specific (like in front of the castle) at midnight, you need to be there WELL in advance. Oh, also, they give out free paper hats and horns, so it gets pretty loud with everyone running around blowing them nonstop. And, if you sit in front of the castle waiting for midnight, there are always beach balls flying around. I've gotten hit in the head many times, but everyone loves them. Sorry to write so much, it helps me get excited to be going also. NYE is one of my favorite times at Disneyland.

I am not expecting a good fireworks show this year due to the park saving environmental points for the 50th anniversary fireworks. The reason I say this is because the 4th of July fireworks were less then 10 min and they did not shoot off a good amount of shells to make it worth that. So be prepared to have a not so spectacular show. I really had way better fireworks at the queen mary when I went on the 4th. They were using their air powered tubes to launch the fireworks instead of the powdered. If you went during 2005, that would be a different story. It is also so crowded that I almost got trampled on main street. It literally took 45 min to walk from adventureland to innoventions in tomorrowland.

piratefamily
07-24-2004, 02:43 PM
ozbeauticn and Disneyfreak, thank you for the info I can't wait it will be great even if the fireworks aren't all that great. Heck, it's Disneyland and New Years Eve and Christmas decorations ( I think ) all on one weekend. Woo Hoo. If anybody else has any info I would love to hear from you. Thanks, "PirateDad" :D

Photographer
07-24-2004, 06:48 PM
My friends and I went Dec. 31, 2002. Knowing that it's going to be packed to the gills will help release the pressure. They give out free hats, noise makers and beads. In the Hollywood Backlot of DCA they had a 70's party going on complete with dancers in afros, polyester and go-go boots. Camera crews were set up there and over by it's a small world, then aired on Dick Clark's Rockin' New Year's Eve. In fact they'd show DL and DCA in Times Sqaure on the monitors.

The trams shut down from 11 pm till 1 am (something like that) - if you needed to get to the parking lots.

We had a truly awesome time. In fact we got on far more rides than we thought we would and we started in the late afternoon/early evening. That was a long day...I had moved into a new apartment that morning. LOL

Germboy
07-24-2004, 08:17 PM
I am not expecting a good fireworks show this year due to the park saving environmental points for the 50th anniversary fireworks. The reason I say this is because the 4th of July fireworks were less then 10 min and they did not shoot off a good amount of shells to make it worth that. So be prepared to have a not so spectacular show. I really had way better fireworks at the queen mary when I went on the 4th. They were using their air powered tubes to launch the fireworks instead of the powdered. If you went during 2005, that would be a different story. It is also so crowded that I almost got trampled on main street. It literally took 45 min to walk from adventureland to innoventions in tomorrowland.

I disagree.

The 4th of July show this year was twice as long as last year's show (the first half was 2001's show, the second half was 2003's show--in other words, we got TWICE the show this year...PLUS this year had the regular Imagine show that played around an hour before the patriotic version even started. Far more bang for your buck than any other year since they began experimenting with the format after 2000's show...

Also, the New Year's Eve show has been the same show every year. They play Auld Lang Syne, followed by the soundtrack from the old Fantasy In The Sky show (minus the patriotic finale) and there have been slight variations on the ending (ie: last year ended with the Mickey Mouse Club March, and the year before was Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah).

I wonder about the validity of the air quality credits. Anyone work for AQMD here?

And yes, I'll freely admit it: I'm weird. I remember stupid details about unimportant things like Disneyland fireworks shows. :)

Germboy
07-24-2004, 08:30 PM
The trams shut down from 11 pm till 1 am (something like that) - if you needed to get to the parking lots.

2 AM, I think.

We haven't hung around long enough to find out if the tram line dies down by 2 AM. I suspect it doesn't.

My best advice for the trams is: Take some walking shoes and walk to the parking structure. It is so crowded, they park the trams by the side of the road and a wall of people walks the tram route. It is so crowded, even the tram driveway can't handle everyone and the people spill over into the sidewalk that parallels it. If you are in the wrong part of the parking structure, it will take you a long long long time just to get out of the structure. (One year it took me 45 minutes just to get off the second floor from the southwest corner. We just sat in line with our engines off.)

Don't let this message scare you however. The point is to have patience. It is really a FUN night. I wouldn't miss it for the world. Get there early too, in case they close the park to new admissions. Good luck!

piratefamily
07-24-2004, 10:06 PM
It won't be a problem because we are staying at the Resort. It sounds like a lot of fun. I can't wait. Thanks for the help. Anybody else have any info? :)

o0JustOneDream0o
07-25-2004, 09:41 AM
There is a video of the 2003 New Years Eve celebrations and such on my website... www.justonedream.com - it'll show you some of what goes on at DCA and DL on New Years Eve.

piratefamily
07-25-2004, 10:35 AM
o0JUSTONEDREAM0o,
Your site looks awesome. My problem is i'm on a Mac and I can't seem to play any of the videos. I have media player installed, but it doesn't want to play. Please help, I would love to see your videos :confused:

o0JustOneDream0o
07-25-2004, 11:00 AM
Email me at admin@justonedream.com and I will help you figure out a way to watch the video(s).

mystycalchyk
07-26-2004, 10:00 AM
NYE at Disneyland FABULOUS. We go every single year.
hey ozbeaticn, come and meet us this year...we are the ones who bring the beach balls. :fez:

This will be our 6th year and I simply cannot wait. I dont think I would survive witout starting my New Year out in Disneyland.

Come one come all...expect the crowds and have fun. :fez:

mystycalchyk
07-26-2004, 11:24 AM
I dont mean to double post but great video oOJustoneDreamOo. You must have been standing right next to us...from the vantage point anyway. Thanks for letting me go back and watch the fun from last year. Hope to see you this year. we will be inthe same spot. Directly in front of the castle at the front end of the hub :) Come help us blow up the beach balls :D ....I feel like Im going to pass out before the night is over from blowing those things up ;)

pisces
07-26-2004, 11:37 AM
My biggest concern is not being able to get back in if I should leave.

I have no problem getting there early. 7:00 am----I imagine there are people who start lining up at 6:30 am, even. However, I feel like I am not going to be able to make it from 7:00 am all the way till 2:00 am without going back to the hotel for a nap.

Are there any good places inside the park to take a nap?, on that day of all days?

I'm assuming DCA has never been shut down for capacity.

But, they aren't staying open till 2 am, and I'm assuming all the good stuff is at the original Park.

TimBuk2
07-26-2004, 11:49 AM
My biggest concern is not being able to get back in if I should leave.

I have no problem getting there early. 7:00 am----I imagine there are people who start lining up at 6:30 am, even. However, I feel like I am not going to be able to make it from 7:00 am all the way till 2:00 am without going back to the hotel for a nap.

Are there any good places inside the park to take a nap?, on that day of all days?

I'm assuming DCA has never been shut down for capacity.

But, they aren't staying open till 2 am, and I'm assuming all the good stuff is at the original Park.

PISCES - maybe you should enter the park at the Monorail Station at Downtown. That should be easier at any time of the day for NYE. I don't think you'll have to be there at 7am just to be allowed in for the day.

June 28th of last year when D-Land had the "Pirates" movie premiere on Main Street, I heard people got there at 6:30am just to watch the stars on the red carpet. My friends and I got there at 4:30pm, some who found a great spot near the train, and I found a spot on Coke-Corner, right behind the media people. So you never know. And we all got great photos.

As for taking a nap, get a seat on the porch at the house on Main Street. It's about 3/4 way down on the right. Or get on the Columbia boat, go downstairs and sneak into one of the Pirates' bunks. That would be cool to scare the crap out of other people, thinking you're a snoring Pirate !!

TrekkieDad
07-26-2004, 12:00 PM
We booked the 12:05 am Fantasmic! buffet, so we got to see the fireworks from the gallery balcony followed by the Fantasmic! show--and the desserts were good, too!

There's entertainment on the water before the fireworks, too. It's a pretty good vantage point, evidenced by a number of CM's who quietly slipped in behind us to watch the fireworks. Until then, I hadn't noticed you can see the top of the Matterhorn from the gallery balcony.

o0JustOneDream0o
07-26-2004, 12:37 PM
I dont mean to double post but great video oOJustoneDreamOo. You must have been standing right next to us...from the vantage point anyway. Thanks for letting me go back and watch the fun from last year. Hope to see you this year. we will be inthe same spot. Directly in front of the castle at the front end of the hub :) Come help us blow up the beach balls :D ....I feel like Im going to pass out before the night is over from blowing those things up ;)

Thanks... I should be there again this year! :)

piratefamily
07-26-2004, 01:36 PM
Everybody needs to check out o0JustOneDream0o's website. A truly amazing resource. Thanks again. :D

Germboy
07-26-2004, 03:50 PM
I don't normally show up for NYE until around 3:00 or so in the afternoon. It REALLY starts getting crowded around 8 or 9 in the evening. I don't think you'll have any trouble going later, BUT I'm pretty sure that if you leave after they've closed the turnstiles, you can't get back in. Someone can correct me on that because I'm not positive. I've never wanted to test it out.

o0JustOneDream0o's website is fantastic. I always record from in front of IASW. The booms from the fireworks sometimes overpower the music, and it was nice to hear the parts that I missed.

JustOneDream, if you could use the footage I have from there, let me know.

o0JustOneDream0o
07-26-2004, 04:38 PM
I can always use extra footage of any events, shows, attractions, etc at the resort. Can't say that I will always use it, but I welcome it.