PDA

View Full Version : Must-have souvenirs?

Pages : [1] 2

Lynnepitt
07-23-2004, 04:01 PM
I'd be interested to hear any suggestions anyone may have for the "must have" souvenirs available in the parks. Also, any suggestions for small items for my two young daughters to buy for their friends out of their own spending money?

Javanod
07-23-2004, 04:08 PM
For me, it "the one cool pin of the trip." The pin that captures my impression of the visit or has Stitch on it - either one ;)

Wendi
07-23-2004, 04:49 PM
Ears, of course!!!

A couple of things we got as kids and still have and treasure (and I've continued the tradition by getting them for my son) are the etched glass mugs - you pick the character and glass that you like, and they etch your name into it for you. My other one is the silouhette - now I've got mine from when I was a little girl, and my son's and I can compare them... they're great, and really cheap too!

Pirate Girl
07-23-2004, 05:02 PM
Guest of Honor badges are always fun too. I've bought those for my friends on many occations, and they are always a hit. Candy and keychains are good take home presents too. Most gift shops in DL sell packs of five mickey slihouette shaped lollys for about 3.50. They could attach these to fun postcards, pins, or keychains if they want too. Another fun but inexpensive gift for younder kids: buy postcards of individual characters and then have them sign them on the back with a felt marker at meet and greets.

Photographer
07-23-2004, 07:09 PM
Definately the ears. Free embroidering too of your name on the back. Other fun things:

pressed pennies & the book to hold them
autograph book
popcorn bucket

little presents for their friends:

guest of honor badges
attraction toy (pirates of caribbean boat)
light up/spinning character

i's worth the drive to visit the Character Wharehouse, 15 minutes away. Great deals.

SCUBAbe
07-23-2004, 07:17 PM
when I was a child and only went once or twice a year I would always get a stuffed animal. As a teenager I would get a porcelain figurine. Now I go more often and I always get the salt water taffy to take home (it usually lasts about a month) and a round sourdough bread from DCA. This last trip I also bought a souvenir book. I looked at it when I got home and realized it's already outdated and it was printed in 2002...oh well...

rentayenta
07-23-2004, 08:44 PM
ears

light up spinning toys

coffee from the World of Disney store; 12 small tins cost about $22

antenna balls

princess character necklaces. they are like $8. my girls always buy these for friends.

the mickey or pooh shaped suckers. a pack of 5 is like $4.

princess foil wrapped chocolate coins. cheap too.

Pirate Girl
07-23-2004, 08:51 PM
coffee from the World of Disney store; 12 small tins cost about $22.

For kids? I mean, I know people start drinking coffee pretty early, but seriously? :D

rentayenta
07-23-2004, 08:53 PM
I'd be interested to hear any suggestions anyone may have for the "must have" souvenirs available in the parks. Also, any suggestions for small items for my two young daughters to buy for their friends out of their own spending money?

I read this as a two parter
;)

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
07-23-2004, 09:41 PM
Ears are a must. AND the silouettes that Wendi was talking about, although I am a bad mommy and completely spaced getting one for my youngest on his first visit in May.
I got the Guest of Honor keychains for my kids.
As a kid I remember being able to get a shirt and one stuffed toy on each visit, so I have started that with my boys. In May they got Eeyore and Mickey. Next time my oldest says he wants Pinnochio.
My friend always gets an ornament.
Next time my son will be getting an autograph book.

Tigertail777
07-23-2004, 11:06 PM
my favorite souvineers (and they are all cheap :) )

The little diecast ride atraction toys they are only about $8 each and they are a great thing to represent your trip, its like taking home a little piece of your favorite ride. my wall is covered in these things. :D

the big wall maps of Disneyland and DCA, both are about $4 each ( I remember when they were a buck LOL)

Cards from the fortune teller machines: fortune red in NOS, emserelda in the penny arcade on main st, and shrunken head ned in adventureland, and when its working, the doubloon machine in pieces of eight store (you can get your name put on a doubloon its something like 75 cents total).

Postcards are always a great souvineer and cheap. The shaped postcards are especially fun.

The pins of course are a given, but if you can especially get pins themed to attractions you saw thats always neat.

Dont discount "freebee" things: the brochure guides, used fastpass tickets, even themed popcorn boxes they are all great to make a scrapbook of your visit.

Something fun for kids: bring a small tape recorder with several extra tapes and batteries and allow them to record a "audio memory" of your visit: record audio of you and them having fun on rides. They will absolutely treasure this for years to come, and its a lot easier to manage than a video camera allowing you to still have fun.

Oh and for the friends another cheapy is the Disney themed special pens/pencils they sell, they are great because they can use them for school too and I know it always brought a smile to my face to use them.

And yes the light flashy things are pretty nifty too! :D

Pirate Girl
07-23-2004, 11:19 PM
When its working, the doubloon machine in pieces of eight store (you can get your name put on a doubloon its something like 75 cents total).

I thought that machine was gone!

Lynnepitt
07-24-2004, 12:54 AM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. As always, Mouseplanet has come up trumps!
I am looking for ideas for a whole variety of ages - right through from my Grandad who's just turned 80, to my brand new nephew/niece who is due to be born whilst I'm on holiday over there! By the sound of things, I'm confident I'lll find something for everyone. I can't wait!!!

Tigertail777
07-24-2004, 02:10 AM
I hope its not pirate girl, but I havnt been to Disneyland in a few years. Last I heard they take it off and on stage depending on how well it works.

CoasterChickie
07-24-2004, 07:46 AM
Lynnepitt-Be sure to pick up an autograph book and princess pen right away. Your girls will want one when they start seeing all the Disney characters and having their pictures taken with them. The book will be a great keepsake to show family and friends. Also, be sure to pick up a lanyard and pins in Tomorrowland..they're fun to trade with CM's and your girls can wear them on the trip home or you can pack them and they won't take up much room in your suitcase. Mickey Mouse ears are definitely good...I like the ones that glow in the dark at night. Pirate Girl gave you some great suggestions for souvenirs for your girls' friends. Good luck deciding!! :)

mw9955
07-24-2004, 09:37 AM
Hello - I am so looking forward to getting my daughter the Mr. Potato Head souvenir box at DCA... For a set price, I think about 17 or 18 bucks, you can fill up all the pieces that will fit in the box (and a potato head if you need). The cool thing is that they have disneyland themed pieces like mouse ears, hands holding DL baloons, etc! I forget which store its at, but definitely at DCA... Hope this helps!

SCUBAbe
07-24-2004, 09:40 AM
This isn't really park related, but at DTD they have the build a bear shop. Basically you pick a stuffed animal, they stuff it. You cna out a sound in it, you dress it and then name and adopt it. My daughter did one once when she was younger and loved it. Last wekend I saw a lot of people carrying the boxes around from that store..:)

This is not a must have, but still fun to do..:)

MammaSilva
07-24-2004, 10:00 AM
Hello - I am so looking forward to getting my daughter the Mr. Potato Head souvenir box at DCA... For a set price, I think about 17 or 18 bucks, you can fill up all the pieces that will fit in the box (and a potato head if you need). The cool thing is that they have disneyland themed pieces like mouse ears, hands holding DL baloons, etc! I forget which store its at, but definitely at DCA... Hope this helps!

when we were there the store just at the entrance on the right, I can't remember the actual name of the store. IF you get the body for Mr/Mrs. Potato head don't forget to open the cavity and fill it with pieces as well, you will be amazed at the amount of things you can stuff in those boxes. We decided that we could get a 'body' cheap at any toy store so we used the box for Disney specific stuff in duplicate!

SCUBAbe
07-24-2004, 10:10 AM
when we were there the store just at the entrance on the right, I can't remember the actual name of the store. IF you get the body for Mr/Mrs. Potato head don't forget to open the cavity and fill it with pieces as well, you will be amazed at the amount of things you can stuff in those boxes. We decided that we could get a 'body' cheap at any toy store so we used the box for Disney specific stuff in duplicate!

Is that store called engine ears..ok now that I typed it it sounds wrong...LOL

Lynnepitt
07-24-2004, 02:37 PM
ears

the mickey or pooh shaped suckers. a pack of 5 is like $4.

Sorry for not knowing - but what exactly are suckers? Are they a type of sweet or something that sticks onto something else??? A few of the things mentioned every so often gets lost in translation eg lanyard???
I'd love to know what the mickey or pooh shaped suckers are though because if they're not too big they sound like a good idea to bring a few back for a few of the girls friends.

CoasterChickie
07-24-2004, 02:58 PM
Suckers are also called lollipops. A lanyard is like a strap that goes around your neck and attaches with velcro at the bottom. It has a little plastic case at the bottom that will hold your admission ticket, fast passes, and a few Disney Dollars. If you have a travel package through Disney- you'll get a coupon good for one lanyard and two pins. Or you can buy one for about $25.00. There's a purple one with 5 Tinkerbell pins that's very popular with the girls and a red one with 5 Mickey Pins that everyone likes. The only bad thing about the lanyards is that they can get heavy if you collect too many pins, the pins may fall off if you go on a spinny ride and you have to tuck the whole thing in your shirt if you go on an upside down ride. It's fun if you have a theme...Javanod collects Lilo and Stitch pins and I collect the classics (Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy, Pluto, Goofy). Another person I know only collects Donald pins.

miss bianca
07-24-2004, 04:29 PM
...the etched glass mugs - you pick the character and glass that you like, and they etch your name into it for you.

Wendi - which store did you get that at? I have mine from when I was a little girl and want to buy my son one.

Wendi
07-24-2004, 05:54 PM
I don't know the name of the store... but it's full of crystal, it's in the NOS area... all those quaint little shops beyond Pirates if I remember correctly.

Pirate Girl
07-24-2004, 06:00 PM
You can get them on Main Street...same idea, small shop, lots of crystal...I forget the name, but it's near the Sihouette shop.

GeminiAngel
07-24-2004, 08:58 PM
I didn't read the other posts, this one has to have been mentioned: Pressed Pennys!!! We have a special Purple Piggy bank which we store them in. Over the years and from all different parks, zoos, etc. I even have one from San Diego harbor cruises. Thought that was a weird place to find one!