PDA

View Full Version : Entertainment Downhill

LIMANDL4EVA
11-10-2001, 10:15 PM
Is it me or is entertainment in both parks going downhill from here.
-DCA Entertainment is cheesy
-Luminaria was apparently a failure
-Steps was cancelled
-Animazement was Cancelled
-Lights Camera Chaos was cancelled Fantasmic! is on Hiatus

Thank God we still have Believe! I hope I didnt just jinx it.

Why is all this happening??

zapppop
11-10-2001, 10:24 PM
MONEY

merlinjones
11-11-2001, 05:54 AM
Is Hamburger cooked?

Nigel2
11-11-2001, 01:54 PM
Is there a rimshot sound effect arround here?

LIMANDL4EVA
11-11-2001, 03:41 PM
Huh?

innerSpaceman
11-11-2001, 03:56 PM
I'll go you one further... entertainment's been going downhill further than you think, IMO. I would rank 'Believe' in with the less-than-successful shows. Oh, it's got some great pyro, but it's kind of sappy, and really rather dull and undramatic for a fireworks spectacular. Sorry, give me 'Fantasy in the Sky' any day. Entertainment has been headed downhill for a long time indeed.

LIMANDL4EVA
11-11-2001, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
I'll go you one further... entertainment's been going downhill further than you think, IMO. I would rank 'Believe' in with the less-than-successful shows. Oh, it's got some great pyro, but it's kind of sappy, and really rather dull and undramatic for a fireworks spectacular. Sorry, give me 'Fantasy in the Sky' any day. Entertainment has been headed downhill for a long time indeed.

I beg to differ, this is just my personal opinion, but i would think that Believe was a great accomplishment, along with Holiday Magic, Fantasmic was hands down the best thing other than uindy that ever happened this decade, but im sure a lot of people would agree the Believe is a great pyro show. But i could be wrong. Speaking of cheap entertainment, has anyone seen those "tree people" walking around on stilts in DCA, they r somthing u would expect from a nightmare or somthing. Definately not Disney like, along with most of the other entertainment in the park. Buzz Lightyear was one of the worst things I have ever seen at the resort, bar none.

Morrigoon
11-11-2001, 06:26 PM
IMHO: Believe is one of the most fantastic pyro shows I've seen. Holiday Believe is a bit disjointed musically, but you can't beat it for dramatic effect when it starts snowing. Fantasy in the Sky was good show, in the category of big boom, brassy rah-rah fireworks shows, but I've seen better at the Hollywood Bowl.

I admit I'm somewhat unusual in that I actually liked Animazement in all its cheesy glory, but it's a case of appreciating what it was: a show directed at the 6-9 age range, with enough sophistication to keep the grownups from getting bored, perhaps even to entertain them, which it did, me. I was sad to see it go, it was the kind of unapologetically "happy" entertainment we all used to expect from Disney before it tried to become hip and edgy. Thank goodness we still have Billy Hill And The HillBillies and Laughing Stock (the mayor/cowboy/sallie mae show out front of golden horseshoe).

Nigel2
11-11-2001, 09:13 PM
Hey those tree people (I would like to chase one with a lawnmower:D) aren't even an original to DCA, we actually stole the idea from AK. God if its bad in that cosutme here imagine how it it at AK in August

LIMANDL4EVA
11-11-2001, 09:16 PM
i didnt know the tree people were from AK, well anyways, they are kinda tacky
but those roller bladers in PP are kinda cool;)

merlinjones
11-12-2001, 05:51 AM
>>I'll go you one further... entertainment's been going downhill further than you think, IMO. I would rank 'Believe' in with the less-than-successful shows. Oh, it's got some great pyro, but it's kind of sappy, and really rather dull and undramatic for a fireworks spectacular. Sorry, give me 'Fantasy in the Sky' any day. Entertainment has been headed downhill for a long time indeed.<<

For me, Believe is heads above Fantasy in the Sky - - except for the sappy elements you accurately note. I was lucky to see one rehersal performance of Believe where they eliminated all of the dialogue... it was SO much better without the treacle! There was also a version with much more of the icky "mommy" blab - - which was insufferable (like the Holiday Granny).

Those now in charge feel an obligation to push the emotionalism, flag it and flaunt it - - rather than just letting a good show create its own emotion with spectacle. It's the whole "Feel the Magic" thing. They tell you how magical and emotional everything is rather than creating it naturally. I've never liked Fantasmic! for this reason... that storyline is belabored and overly preachy for what could have been an enchanting spectacle without the pedantic elements of the storyline. Same for Light Magic - - dancing pixies and pajamas and all of these precious non-Disney icky things that come from marketing types view of childhood nostalgia rather than the real thing (MSEP, that speaks for itself).

This faux-"emotional" element has plagued the entire Disney Company (particularly parks entertainment, Disney Channel, records and worst-of-all television animation) in recent years as politically correct marketing executives, children's theatre mavens and other touchy feely types in heavy therapy for wounded childhoods have invaded Disney and displaced the traditional animation/Imagineer types. Like Pixar, the Company used to be cratively run by Big Kids (who spoke directly and without belabored sentiment to the inner child) - - now its run by fragile Parents/Adults (who speak down to children and are trying to make a statement).

Mary Poppins displaced by George Banks equals Light Magic, et al. Squeeze the magic...