PDA

View Full Version : So who doesn't like Fantasmic?

Pages : [1] 2 3

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
07-22-2004, 01:12 PM
I love love love it! But I have heard people say they need something new. Do you like it or not?

Goofy'sDad
07-22-2004, 01:15 PM
I've seen it at least six times and it never gets old. But I can be a big fan of something and still accept that it doesn't have to last forever - and could be improved ... well that is ... I'm sure greater minds than mine could figure a way to improve it.

sleepyjeff
07-22-2004, 01:19 PM
I have not been too impressed with the "something news" we have been getting lately....so I think I will vote to keep Fantasmic..TVM. :)

Main St Electrical Parade was replaced by the NEW Light Magic :mad:

PeopleMover was replaced by the NEW Rocket Rods :rolleyes:

Swiss Family Treehouse was transformed into the NEW Tarzans Tree House :|

Country Bear Vacation Hoedown was demolished in favor of Pooh :eek:

The Parking Lot was.............. :D

sediment
07-22-2004, 01:39 PM
Last time I was there, we just happen to be getting off Splash and it just happened to be starting. I don't think I'd seen it at DL for over 10 years before that, as every time we went, we were trying go on rides away from ROA while the crowd is over there, or we had arrived early and by 7PM it was time to go. I don't think I'd wait longer than 30 minutes otherwise.

I would like there to be a new segment added/replaced every Spring. Or at least revolved. I mean, new films keep coming out. Heck, a new segment SHOULD BE made with the new film in mind. A constructive use of synergy.

Bill Catherall
07-22-2004, 02:07 PM
I like the show, but I don't like what it does to New Orleans Square at night. My favorite area of the park becomes way too crowded. I'm not saying it should be taken out, but if it goes I won't shed a tear.

BTMichael
07-22-2004, 02:57 PM
I like the show, but I don't like what it does to New Orleans Square at night. My favorite area of the park becomes way too crowded. I'm not saying it should be taken out, but if it goes I won't shed a tear.
Exactly how I feel! :)

sediment
07-22-2004, 03:07 PM
And the mass exodus to wherever -- Main Street to parking lot. Just don't like the logistics. That's what's kept me away.

MrsG
07-22-2004, 03:52 PM
Exactly how I feel! :)

Me Too!! Hubbie hates it. Says it is too violent for kids.

tod
07-22-2004, 04:08 PM
I don't like it. Even watched it twice, just to give it a fair chance.

All flash and no substance. A tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing, to coin a phrase.

--t

Opus1guy
07-22-2004, 04:57 PM
I miss riding the Mark Twain at night.

Hey...it eats up a large amount of guests. And that makes for shorter attraction lines while it's running. So there are trade-offs.

Plus it's a pretty good show!

SCUBAbe
07-22-2004, 05:18 PM
I watched it once about 3 years ago, It was ok. I do not like the crowds and campers it brings to the area though...it makes it almost impossible to get through at times.

soccerlady16
07-22-2004, 05:28 PM
I don't like it. Even watched it twice, just to give it a fair chance.

All flash and no substance. A tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing, to coin a phrase.

--t
I didn't get the first time. later I found out its supposed to be a dream. Dreams don't really have a story.

soccerlady16
07-22-2004, 05:35 PM
I love Fantasmic! The best Disney show I've seen. Hope they keep it for many many years. I wouldn't mind if they change a bit, like new effects and things like that. The only thing they should really get rid of is the Pinochio sequence, its pretty dumb. :D

BTMichael
07-22-2004, 05:52 PM
I wished that Disney would compromise some on Fantasmic during the summer months. Skip showing Fantasmic 2-3 days in the middle of each week, like Mon-Tue, Tue-Wed, etc. Give those visitors who like strolling NOS or riding on the ROA at night a day or two to experience it.

cstephens
07-22-2004, 06:35 PM
I wished that Disney would compromise some on Fantasmic during the summer months. Skip showing Fantasmic 2-3 days in the middle of each week, like Mon-Tue, Tue-Wed, etc. Give those visitors who like strolling NOS or riding on the ROA at night a day or two to experience it.

Except that even when Fantasmic isn't running, there's no guarantee that the Twain will be running at night. There have been nights when I've looked out at the Rivers of America, and it's a pretty sight, but I wish I could have that sight while riding the Twain on the twack.

TimBuk2
07-22-2004, 06:41 PM
The Fantasmic show at D-Land is awesome. It brings back a lot of childhood memories from Walt's TV shows, movies, and the early years in the park.

I especially like the music, mainly near the end of the show. That's when the characters are on the Mark Twain. I hope they keep it around for years to come. :)

I see a little bit of grumbling here...if you know the park well, and find New Orleans Square your fav, just keep clear during that time. I agree it gets very crowded during that time, but I used to stay to the right side (in front of the Golden Horseshoe). That way I get to see the Mark Twain first, and be one of the first to leave the area when it's over. Of course, we used to go right to Thunder Mountain ride, but not no more !! :(

In early June I tried 3 times to get on Thunder Mtn, all 3 times it was either a very long line, or it was down. Three times a charm, I say. I've riden it enough since it opened, and even have broken ribs from one time. (My goofy friend Cody slide into me during a turn, bashing me against the side).

Pedro2NR
07-22-2004, 10:38 PM
I like it, but I dont like watching it everytime I go. Its a hassle for me to find a place to sit and I rather go on rides.

Disney Vault
07-22-2004, 10:59 PM
I have seen it twice and think it is something everyone could see. It totally gets you in the mood (the disney one not the other one) and you get so excited even though you know what is going to happen.

Pammer
07-23-2004, 07:26 AM
I've seen Fantasmic! at both DL and WDW, and love them both, although I think the edge goes to the DL version show-wise. For comfort, I like the stadium in FL...sitting on hard bleachers is better than sitting on the hard concrete they have at DL!

I especially love the music...I have the CD and hum along whenever I'm watching it! :D

However, I don't like to stake out a spot a couple of hours early like some families do. I did sit on the ground for about 45 minutes many years ago...we had a great seat against the railing (2nd show of the evening), but it was difficult for me to sit there so long on the concrete. Nowadays, we just show up about 15-20 minutes beforehand (you can get away with this on nights that aren't too crowded), and that's fine with me.

Unfortunately, I don't see it that often anymore, because I come in the off-season and it's usually down for refurbishment! :crying: Maybe that's why I enjoy it more when I do see it.

And I agree that it can be pretty intense for young children. My 4 1/2 year-old great-niece was afraid during the villian scenes and wanted down from my hubby, who was holding her at the time. However, once Mickey took control of his dream and the Mark Twain came out with all of the characters, she wanted to see everything again. ;)

smd4
07-23-2004, 07:49 AM
I HATE it! What it does to what once was one of the most evocative, quite and romantic places of the park after dark leaves me pining for the "good ol' days" when the Mark Twain would run every night. Those in the know would get on for the cruise just before 9:30, when the Twain would stop at the back of the Rivers of America for the Fireworks show. Dinner outside along the quite river, taking romantic strolls through a quite an un-crowded New Orleans Square, or even sitting on the Hungry Bear porch while the River Craft went by at dusk are experiences that no longer exist, and that's a real shame. The ambiance of New Orleans after dark is gone, but hopefully not forever.

Instead, a massive portion of the park was turned into a stage, where one was never designed to be, and where one shouldn't be today. The crowds are horrendous, both hours before the show, and immediately after.

I know I'm in the minority, but the only thing that gives me hope is the fact that if they got rid of the Main Street Electrical parade, then eventually this show may "glow away" as well.

Tigertail777
07-23-2004, 02:46 PM
I love Fantasmic, and I normally dont really care for the parades and shows and such. However I think they really should compromise and on some nights either not show it, or show only one show and have the mark twain run at night. I would love to see a dixieland band playing on the mark twain at night again.
The other thing is I really hate what fantasmic does to the park: it creates horrendous bottlenecks with crowds, to the point that you cannot get from one part of the park to the other during the show. They need more transportation rides that will get you from one part to another; the skyway was just perfect for doing this during parades and shows I really wish they would bring it back.

2002 TC eL
07-23-2004, 03:00 PM
I have not been too impressed with the "something news" we have been getting lately....so I think I will vote to keep Fantasmic..TVM. :)

Main St Electrical Parade was replaced by the NEW Light Magic :mad:

PeopleMover was replaced by the NEW Rocket Rods :rolleyes:

Swiss Family Treehouse was transformed into the NEW Tarzans Tree House :|

Country Bear Vacation Hoedown was demolished in favor of Pooh :eek:

The Parking Lot was.............. :D

I LOVE FANTASMIC. It is ONE of the BEST features of Disneyland. We try to see it every night we are at Disneyland. (We are Annual Passport Holders and our last visit was June 28 - July 2, 2004. :) )

I too do NOT like these replacements and would add:

Circle Vision was replaced by queu for Rocket Rods :mad:

America Sings was replaced by Innoventions :mad:

Carousel of Progress was taken to Disney World and was replaced by America Sings :rolleyes:

fjhuerta
07-23-2004, 04:03 PM
I love love love it! But I have heard people say they need something new. Do you like it or not?

Fantasmic is Disneyland to me. I cannot imagine a Disneyland without it. It's as ingrained into the Park as Pirates of The Caribbean.

Funnily enough, I disliked WDW's Fantasmic, though I don't know why. Is there something too different about both?

PapiBear
07-23-2004, 04:37 PM
What they should do is MOVE Fantasmic over to DCA's Paradise Pier Lagoon, where they have the room and where extra guest space can be made. Then bring back live jazz bands to play on the Mark Twain at night. The Frontierland/New Orleans Square area was not designed as an audience area with Rivers of America as the stage.

Besides, isn't Fantasmic a celebration of Disney films (sorta)? Disney films were made in California, so thematically it's not a stretch like it is when it's on Tom Sawyer Island. (I don't recall fire-breathing dragons on the Mississippi River....)

TimBuk2
07-23-2004, 04:50 PM
What they should do is MOVE Fantasmic over to DCA's Paradise Pier Lagoon, where they have the room and where extra guest space can be made.

Great idea, but most of the time when they run Fantasmic, DCA is closed by 9 or 10pm. Maybe have one show at 9 when the close, but that might make a better viewing place. It might get more into that park as well.