PDA

View Full Version : Dear Groupie...

Pages : [1] 2 3

Attractions 87
11-10-2001, 09:04 PM
Dear Groupie,

This letter is not for the normal APer. Not the person who comes to Disneyland, enjoyes himself, waits his turn patiently, is kind, considerate, and is an all-around joy to have. No, this letter is not to you.

This letter is to the other kind of Groupie. You know who you are. We see you every day. You stake out your favorite spot on the parade route, spreading your cloth wide so no one else can get a good view. You push past people to get to the front row of Anamaizment. You know the name of every person in Fantasmic. If you don't get your way, you complain. If someone beats you to your seat, you gripe. Your mommy once told you that you were special and you let it go to your head.

Yes, Mr. or Mrs. Groupie, you learned that Disneyland will do anything for you if you complain enough. But here's a secret. We don't do it to appease you. We do it to get you to shut up.

Yes, we've seen you sneak past people who've been waiting half an hour in line and mix in with people who have reservations for a show. You think we don't notice. We do. We see you standing in walkways, and when we ask you to move, you give us the dirtiest look as if we are beneath you. After all, you paid for a ticket.

Well, guess what. So did everyone else.

Yes, believe it or not, all those other people are entitled to see the show, watch the parade, ride in the first car of the roller coaster, just like you. Your name isn't engraved anywhere, we didn't receive a park-wide announcement that you were coming.

Look, we like it that you enjoy Disneyland so much. But your pettiness has worn out your welcome. Just because you come to every single show of Minnie's Christmas Party doesn't give you any special privledges. We don't think it's cute that you're here for every single show every single day of the week. We think it's sad. And frankly, we laugh at you in our break areas. We swap stories about you. "Hey, did you see that Groupie who went and complained to the lead because she was asked to clear the theater at the end of the show?" "Yeah. she was already upset because she didn't get her favorite spot for the Electric Parade. Seems someone else got there first and, when she asked a cast member to have them moved, he said he couldn't do that." Guess what, Mr. and Mrs Groupie. I didn't make either of those examples up.

I know this letter won't make any difference. And I'm sure that may of you now think that I, myself, don't have the Disney spirit. Maybe I've been at the Magic Kingdom too long. Maybe I've seen too much. Maybe the pixie dust has been cut from the budget. But if one Groupie reads this and, perhaps, changes. Well, maybe it was worth it.

Sincerely,

Attractions 87

TimBuk2
11-10-2001, 09:12 PM
Good for you my friend !

Attractions 87 - Are you feeling well ? I think you are. Good for you speaking your mind. I think we all spend too much time there. Maybe it has gone to your head, but what are ya gonna do ? All I can say is...

RIGHT ON !! :p

Poor groupies - :crying:

Nigel2
11-10-2001, 10:47 PM
I never understood why they feel the need to put blankets out, and also why they are allowed to do so. Why do I have a feeling that the bad groupies that do all the whining and complaining are older people, the ones that make the news (like the lady that ran over someone to see pocahontis then she got mad when they took her AP away).

slaakker
11-10-2001, 11:40 PM
While I agree there are those who think they own Disneyland, don't be too quick to judge those who spread those blankets on the ground. I am one of those blanket layers of which you speak.

We routinely (Once a year visit) wait 1-2 hours in our favorite spot. I would sit there with my whole family but you try to get three kids to sit for that long. It is worth it to us to have great seats for shows like Fantasmic and not fight the crowd at the last minute.

We use the space we save and don't save any more than what we need.

Marko50
11-11-2001, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Nigel2
I never understood why they feel the need to put blankets out, and also why they are allowed to do so. Why do I have a feeling that the bad groupies that do all the whining and complaining are older people, the ones that make the news (like the lady that ran over someone to see pocahontis then she got mad when they took her AP away).

Well, geez, who wouldn't run over someone to see Pocahontis? She's pretty hot!

Oh, wait, a LADY?....

And what do you mean, "older people"? I feel like I'm being stereotyped. Or age typed. I'm about the age of an "older people", but maybe you mean mid-to-late 20's. Or 30's. Sorry, I didn't see that news story. Could you clarify?

Nigel2
11-11-2001, 02:09 AM
Those blankets can be a saftey hazard (well if people are afraid of light chasers...) but anyway the Poco story. (BTW I consider older elderly) An elderly woman had (rented or owned?) an electric wheelchair and wanted to see the stage show there so she drove like she was the only important person arround and ran over afew people and they took her AP away. She made a big complaint and so forth but I don't know if she ever got it back.

EandCDad
11-11-2001, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by Nigel2
Those blankets can be a saftey hazard

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. I once saw a blanket get ahold of a group of tourists. It wasn't pretty.

There are jerks who come to DL every day and jerks who come to DL once a year. A person doesn't stop being a jerk when they walk through the gates.

And is my perogative when CM post negative comments about guests on this board, they still pay your freakin salary. Doesn't give them the right to be a jerk, but remember the groupies during the next round of layoffs.

stinkerbell
11-11-2001, 07:38 AM
Here, here Attractions 87. I thought that was the funniest post I've read. I can totally picture the CM's making fun........

Overall I've gotta go with EandCdad on this one though. Jerks are jerks are jerks and it's those groupies that probably foot the bills.

MouseWife
11-11-2001, 08:16 AM
I hear you.

I know that those people to contribute cash to the kitty. But, it can really be difficult, as a parent, to explain how these fully grown people can be so rude and obnoxious AND get their way.

It happens EVERY WHERE. You notice it a lot when you have kids. When you wait in line and then they cut ahead. Push themselves in.

Boy, I am getting sore just remembering things that have happened! Grrrr.

I can really understand how an employee might feel getting this treatment day after day.

I don't think you are lacking the Disney Spirit, I think that it is most definitely being tested! If you can keep your Sprit after all of this, I would imagine you can go home feeling pretty good that you are not them.

stinkerbell
11-11-2001, 08:29 AM
Mousewife~~you should read the ride etiquette thread that was done recently. It was an interesting thread full of differing perspectives.......There are so many rude people! And yes, I've definitely noticed this more and more as I've become a parent. It's hard to explain to your kids why people behave the way they do. It's one thing if some teens are rude--I was a rude teen, but to see other adults and PARENTS behave badly, esp. in front of their own kids, is embarrassing everywhere, but esp. at DL.

MouseWife
11-11-2001, 08:50 AM
Stinkerbell, Hi!

I tell ya! I read some of those posts and it is amazing how some of these people make it in this world.

I, too, had fun at the park when I was a teen. Flirting with the employees, giving them a hard time. Like the canoes and just giving the guy a hard time by not rowing and splashing them and us! Yes, this would count as being a brat! But it was so much FUN!!!! And safe.

Now I tell my kids that what fun they have should not effect the fun of others.

How old are your kids? My seven year old, in second grade, a model student, is becoming difficult. He sees the monkeys in his class misbehaving and NOT being punished and now he wants to
be like them!!!!!! Oh, I would LOVE to homeschool him.

I have a 14 year old{son}, whom I homeschooled last year. Also a 16 year old {daughter} who has been on indepentant studies for a year now.

Hope to keep in touch with another mom who loves Disney!!!!!

stinkerbell
11-11-2001, 09:05 AM
Hi there. Maybe we should start our own Mommies who love DL too much thread in the lounge or something........:)

My kids are six (going on thirteen), three (and a HALF), and eleven months. My six year old is a real goody two shoes at school, which I love. She just gives us the attitude and eye rolls at home. My three year old has that angelic look and gets away with everything--the original stinkerbell-- and my baby girl squeals like a pig (Piglet) whenever she doesn't get what she wants. She's going to give us a run for our money! She's just come out of that "I love my mommy so much" phase and into the "Mommy get away from me" phase.

MouseWife
11-11-2001, 09:13 AM
Stinkerbell-

Too funny! But, you just gotta love 'em!

My seven year old is a goody two shoes, too.
That he is learning that boys DON'T have to be
so well behaved is teaching him bad things!

My older kids were really well behaved, too, but
I think I was too busy taking care of them to
realize it. I tell them this today, just so that they
know that their brother isn't a freak or a kiss up!

Oh, a thread for Mommies would be nice!

Nigel2
11-11-2001, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by EandCDad

I once saw a blanket get ahold of a group of tourists. It wasn't pretty.

Oh you were there too, yeah the EPA wouldn't let disney kill it so they had to capture it and release it in Canada where the damage would not be noticed by the US.:D
I always wondered what the breakdown of every dollar spent at disneyland goes to, like 10 percent to staff, 20 percent to merchandise and concessions stock, 20 percent to rides and the rest go to line the pockets of the execs:D anyone know of a real breakdown?

Attractions 87
11-11-2001, 07:48 PM
An elderly woman had (rented or owned?)

Owned. I remember her. She used to constantly come into First Aid and used it as her own pharmacy.

they took her AP away. She made a big complaint and so forth but I don't know if she ever got it back.

She got it back after a few weeks.

And is my perogative when CM post negative comments about guests on this board, they still pay your freakin salary.

Uh, huh. Well, let's see. Doing a little math, that groupie pays me about one-thousandth of a penny per day. I think I can live without it.

Attractions 87

EandCDad
11-11-2001, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Attractions 87

Uh, huh. Well, let's see. Doing a little math, that groupie pays me about one-thousandth of a penny per day. I think I can live without it.

Attractions 87 [/B]

Ohhhhhh, you were only talking about one person. I thought you were talking about a whole group of people. My mistake. Don't worry, theme parks are doing great right now, you guys don't need every patron you can get.

tabacco
11-11-2001, 07:54 PM
But you need me, right?

[Crickets chirping]

right?

Morrigoon
11-11-2001, 08:13 PM
Is that that Katrina lady who hangs out at Coke Corner?

Attractions 87
11-11-2001, 10:18 PM
Ohhhhhh, you were only talking about one person. I thought you were talking about a whole group of people. My mistake. Don't worry, theme parks are doing great right now, you guys don't need every patron you can get.

Our attendance is at normal levels for this time of year. So no, we don't need every patron we can get. The customer is not always right.

And no, I wasn't talking about a single person. I'm talking about everyone who is addressed to in that letter.

If I have to take a cut in pay to not have to deal with some of these absolutely rude, obnoxious people, I will consider it well worth it.

Attractions 87

tabacco
11-11-2001, 10:22 PM
Attractions 87: Why do you work at Disneyland?

MickeyD
11-11-2001, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Attractions 87
The customer is [I]not always right.

There are customers at Disneyland? I thought there were only guests.

bluepearl
11-11-2001, 10:49 PM
Mouse Wife: I giggled when you mentioned flirting with the employees. There are different CMs that we find very attractive and just like to pass by to get a glimpse. However, on some attractions (like the canoes) we can get a bit rambunctious and I'm sure they think I'm a bit of a freak. :lol: But I hope that we don't annoy people too much - that is, we aren't mean or mean-spirited, just excited.

I try to be as courteous to each CM as I would like them to be courteous to me. Sometimes, however, you come across a CM that seems to be cross either for no apparent reason or probably experienced something that turned sour their mood. I can get to be pretty moody myself when I have to deal with rude customers (I work in a retail store and I'm sure that many people know what kind of nightmare that can be). But in general, I try not to cause too much of a disturbance so as not to ruin anyone else's Disney experience.

Morrigoon
11-11-2001, 11:01 PM
Attractions87:

Comfort yourself in this: the knowledge that MANY cm's before you have gotten bitter. Even the most promising, bright-eyed new hire straight out of orientation can, and likely will, some day get bitter. It doesn't happen to all, but it can happen to ANY.

Can I give you some advice? Make friends with the APs. It's a lot easier to ask someone to do something (like move out of forbidden areas, or take a different seat than their usual one) if they are doing it for you, their friend.

Also, if the same-seat-at-fantasyland-theatre person is the same one that did that at Animazement, the guy has a bit of a mental disability. Try to keep that in mind before you get too angry at him, and be as understanding as you can (but be careful, he's been known to yell at the guests in "his" seat himself).

....yes, I have officially spent WAY too much time at the park and hanging out with CMs!

stinkerbell
11-12-2001, 07:49 AM
I'm not even a local and I noticed the same-seat guy and picked up right away that he had some sort of disability. I hope all CM's are as patient as the ones I saw talking to him when I was there and I also hope that is not one of the groupies you're making fun of!!!

Also starting to think Attractions87 is not so funny..........

hsierra
11-12-2001, 08:44 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I think that attractions 87 is right on the mark. There is no excuse for rude behavior. I did not get the impression that '87 is burned out, just tired of the rudeness. As for the person with a disability, the worse thing anyone can do for this person is let them get away with unsocial behavior. I work with people with disabilities for a living, and believe me, just because someone has a developmental disabilty does not mean they are unaware of what they are doing. I work very hard to teach my clients how to behave in a socialy acceptable manner, to be considerate of those around them. Being understanding is one thing, letting them think they can do whatever they want at the exspense of others is wrong. All it will take is for that person to be asked to leave a few times and they will stop. Anyway, just my two cents