PDA

View Full Version : How crowded do you think DCA will be in August?

AliciasMom
07-21-2004, 07:15 PM
My parents and I are going to DCA (their first time) on Monday, August 23rd. How crowded do you think it will be? I'm just asking because my dad hates crowds with a passion so the more prepared we are, the better. Thanks in advance.

sediment
07-21-2004, 07:18 PM
Not very crowded.
How much does he hate crowds, though? there should be about 15000 people going through the gates, but that doesn't mean they're all in there at the same time.

AliciasMom
07-21-2004, 07:20 PM
Not very crowded.
How much does he hate crowds, though? there should be about 15000 people going through the gates, but that doesn't mean they're all in there at the same time.

He hates crowds like a weekend in July at DL. We went on a weekend in July of 1996 and my dad swore he would never go to DL again... but now he has a granddaughter so my mom and I are trying to break him in slowly, lol.

jrad32
07-22-2004, 08:15 AM
Is DCA ever crowded?

spectromen
07-22-2004, 08:20 AM
Of course a weekend in July in 1996 was during Electrical Parades' Farewell Season, so it WAS packed. DCA shouldn't be anything remotely similar to that day for you.

Goofy'sDad
07-22-2004, 01:57 PM
Is DCA ever crowded?

This is peak season. You should expect the standby lines for Soarin' and and Screamin to get up to around 1 hour long by noon and into the evening. GRR depends on the weather but if it's hot, those will be up there too. TOT line often gets up to 90 min by the early afternoon.

Of course, thoughtful use of Fastpass will save you these waits. Yeah Fastpass!

Goofy'sDad
07-22-2004, 02:07 PM
A few other thoughts:

Don't miss Aladdin - the show currently running at the Hyperion theater.

You won't have big line problems at Tough to be a Bug, Muppet Vision, and Golden Dreams. All definately worth seeing, but they are theater-type attractions with plenty of space (and fun stuff in the ques - at least at TTBAB and MV3D.)

Animation is great (much superior to the WDW version) but it's mostly an open walk through attraction and at crowded times can be a bummer.

IMO (obviously), other than Screamin' the rest of PP is worthless.

The new Bugs Land stuff is definately for little ones.

Soarin', GRR, TOT and Screamin are worth at least two rounds.

Enjoy!

Pammer
07-22-2004, 03:11 PM
A few other thoughts:

Don't miss Aladdin - the show currently running at the Hyperion theater.

You won't have big line problems at Tough to be a Bug, Muppet Vision, and Golden Dreams. All definately worth seeing, but they are theater-type attractions with plenty of space (and fun stuff in the ques - at least at TTBAB and MV3D.)

Animation is great (much superior to the WDW version) but it's mostly an open walk through attraction and at crowded times can be a bummer.

IMO (obviously), other than Screamin' the rest of PP is worthless.

The new Bugs Land stuff is definately for little ones.

Soarin', GRR, TOT and Screamin are worth at least two rounds.

Enjoy!

I pretty much endorse the above and want to add that the theater attractions (Muppet, Aladdin, Bug, Golden Dreams, and Animation) are all indoor and air-conditioned! We like to go into the animation building when we're waiting for Millionaire and sit in the A/C...plus you get to listen to snippets of great Disney music too! :D

Try not to miss the pre-show at Muppets...we always enjoy it!

TimBuk2
07-22-2004, 08:16 PM
I agree with all the great suggestions. Don't know if you've been to DCA at all, but there is an entrance/exit to the Grand Californian Hotel / Downtown area across from Grizzly Rapids ride. It's for anyone, not just the hotel guests.

It might be nice to take your dad into the hotel area for a quick walk around and relax in its beauty. I know the food at their restaurants is a little pricey, but pretty good.

Tower of Terror is now my fav ride, but depending on how old your dad and dauther is, it's worth it.

I would also agree there might be a total attendance of 15k-20k during that time. Aug 23rd is a Monday, so that might not be so bad.

But remember, that park closes much earlier than D-Land. So I would get there when they open to enjoy the entire day. (Aug 23rd it's scheduled for 10a-9p). Have Fun.

FASTPASS BABY !!

:cool:

Zigen
07-23-2004, 07:46 AM
This is peak season. You should expect the standby lines for Soarin' and and Screamin to get up to around 1 hour long by noon and into the evening.

I was there last Sunday, Screaming was a 5 min wait at 3pm, we rode it back to back. Soaring's wait was about 45 mins at 2pm, make sure you get a fastpass for this. Tower was a 20 min wait noonish. I dont think it will be too busy the day you go. It will be hot. The animation building is a great place to cool off, so is the lobby to the grand ca and all the gift shops in DCA but the best place to cool off is GRR. The spray bottles with the fan works great, but it can be a pain to carry around.

Have fun.

AliciasMom
07-23-2004, 10:58 AM
Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm going to keep them in mind when we go. I'm not really concerned about heat since my parents are from the Inland Empire and it gets hotter than h-e-double hockey sticks out there. I live for fastpass and will definitely use it when needed. I just hope my dad has a more enjoyable experience than he did the last time we were at DL. I'm pretty sure he will though. Thanks again.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
07-24-2004, 09:42 AM
Aladdin is a MUST see!

Jon Vincible
08-09-2004, 08:57 PM
I was just there the weekend of August 7th and DCA was by no means as crowded as Disneyland. The longest wait was GRR at about an hour b/c they kept letting the fast pass people in. ToT is amazing and i rode it 3 times, each with a wait of about 40 minutes. GRR is fun too but wasn't worth the long-hot wait. Soarin' is a blast, don't miss it. My only advice is fast pass GRR and wait for Soarin', not the other way around which is what i did.

MuckaMowie
08-09-2004, 09:48 PM
Remember, August 23rd is the first day since July 17th that cast members will be able to use their sign-ins to get their guests into the park for free. I think you may see much larger crowds because of the lifting of these blockouts. :(

DCAWhites
08-09-2004, 10:12 PM
I'd expect a small bump in attendence to begin on the 23rd (but last only a week) because thats when cast members can resume signing in guests and socal and socal select passes become unblocked.

Pirate Girl
08-09-2004, 11:59 PM
When I was there on Wednesday, DCA was really crowded. I was surprised...I've never seen that many people there. It could be because so many things in DL are closed, plus they just opened ToT.