PDA

View Full Version : Clam Chowder

Pages : [1] 2

dlandnut
07-21-2004, 02:10 PM
I remember when there was the Pirate Ship that was permanently stationed in Fantasyland. They had the best clam chowder. Then after it was removed, you could get clam chowder over near where you take the transports to Tom Sawyer's Island. But I think that is also gone. Can you still get "fast food" clam chowder in DL?

Disney Vault
07-21-2004, 02:19 PM
They now have it in DCA and it is the best i have ever had. It is over in the paciific warf area. They serve it in fresh sour dough bread bowls that they make right in front of you.

lisap
07-21-2004, 02:22 PM
The Royal Street Veranda (underneath the Disney Gallery) serves clam chowder in bread bowls. It's pretty good.

Edit: Disney's biggest Fan is talking about the Boudin Sourdough factory cafe. He's right--it's good eatin'.

MrsG
07-21-2004, 02:30 PM
you could get clam chowder over near where you take the transports to Tom Sawyer's Island. But I think that is also gone.

That was one of my favorite places to get a quick tuna sandwich, and, yes, it is gone. Well, you can buy McDonald's fries there now. :crying:

You can still get clam chowder in a bread boule at the Royal Street Veranda right by the stairs to go up to the Disney gallery. You can also get it at Cafe Orleans, along with other soup and salads in a bread boule. Would not get the Po' Boy sandwich there, tho. Hubbie said it was tasteless.

Thanks for another food thread!!

Disneyfreak
07-21-2004, 02:33 PM
The ones in DCA are better then at Disneyland due to freshness. The bread bowls you get at DCA are fresh right out of the oven, and the ones at Disneyland are about 1-2 days old from DCA.

CoasterChickie
07-21-2004, 02:41 PM
I agree with that last statement. The broccoli cheese chowder is also really good at Boudin in DCA I've always wished you could get a refill on the bread bowls ...there always seems to be more bread than chowder,,,I'd rather have it the other way around!

Lani
07-21-2004, 02:43 PM
Waaaaaahhhh! Clam chowder in bread bowls are so yummy, but definitely NOT on my low-carb menu. :crying:

Opus1guy
07-21-2004, 02:49 PM
Seems a tad blistering outside to be discussing chowder ;) but...

I agree the ones at California Adventure's Boudin Bakery are better. The problem I have with them (like CoasterChickie) is their capacity. They core the sourdough bread so small...there's much less actual chowder in them. I swear sometimes I get maybe 6 spoonfuls and then it's gone. :(

But it is yummy! :)

Disneyland's is not too shabby either, however. :)

Didn't Fowler's Landing in Frontierland also used to serve chowda?

The Disneyland Hotel's Granville's and The Shipyard Inn (now Hook's Pointe) used to make a fabulous Lobster Bisque! I think Club 33 used the same recipe now and then. Man I miss that stuff. If anyone runs into Lobster Bisque on any Disneyland Resort menu, would you please post it? Thanks!

SCUBAbe
07-21-2004, 03:24 PM
chowder is hot for the summer, but DCA also has really good salads in the bread bowls..:)

Hamradio
07-21-2004, 04:14 PM
I remember when there was the Pirate Ship that was permanently stationed in Fantasyland. They had the best clam chowder. Then after it was removed, you could get clam chowder over near where you take the transports to Tom Sawyer's Island. But I think that is also gone. Can you still get "fast food" clam chowder in DL?

Try the French Market in New Orleans Square.

Andrew
07-21-2004, 09:59 PM
Seems a tad blistering outside to be discussing chowder ;)
Actually, eating hot soup (or drinking hot tea or coffee) on a warm day will tend to make you feel cooler. Counter-intuitive, but it really does work.

sleepyjeff
07-22-2004, 06:33 AM
I had my best Clam Chowder at a Dairy Queen :eek: in Depoe Bay Oregon.

jrad32
07-22-2004, 07:13 AM
While a decent chowder, the stuff you can get at DL and DCA, would not rank as the best chowder I ever had. If it does for you, you may want to get out a little more. I can think of several spots in Boston, Maryland, California, Oregon and Seattle with better chowder.

stan4d_steph
07-22-2004, 07:39 AM
The best part about the chowder at DCA is the bowl. It's authentic Boudin bread, which is the best sourdough anywhere. The chowder's good though.

scottmen
07-22-2004, 08:13 AM
CoasterChickie...I've always wished you could get a refill on the bread bowls ...there always seems to be more bread than chowder,,,I'd rather have it the other way around!You can ask for your soup in a cup on the side. Its less messy and seems to get you a little more soup. Makes the bread easier to rip apart and dunk as well.

Scott:|

DonaldDuck14
07-22-2004, 08:45 AM
well i currently work in foods and the places that sell clam chowder in
Disneyland is royal street veranda, cafe orleans, french market, and riverbelle terrace. If im incorrect please tell me otherwise....however those are the places i know of because i work in disneyland and not DCA

dlandnut
07-22-2004, 09:00 AM
While a decent chowder, the stuff you can get at DL and DCA, would not rank as the best chowder I ever had. If it does for you, you may want to get out a little more. I can think of several spots in Boston, Maryland, California, Oregon and Seattle with better chowder.

I'm well aware of other "chowders" in the world. But remember, we're at a DISNEY web site talking about DISNEY locations, sites, foods, etc.! Of course there is better chowder in the world! The Crab Cooker in Newport Beach, California comes to mind (and it's even the Manhattan style, not the Boston kind).

CoasterChickie
07-22-2004, 09:04 AM

Them there's fightin' words (spoken in my southern drawl and a smile on my face) We were talkin' 'bout athe clam chowder at DLR. But if this here's a clam chowder cook off , S.F. wins hands down. :p

(Thanks for the tip scottmen! :)

Photographer
07-22-2004, 10:04 AM
As a native Bostonian I am here to defend our chowder as THE BEST!

jrad32
07-22-2004, 10:06 AM
They now have it in DCA and it is the best i have ever had. It is over in the paciific warf area.

I realize we are talking Disney, but the above comment made me laugh.

stan4d_steph
07-22-2004, 10:20 AM
As a native Bostonian I am here to defend our chowder as THE BEST! I think you mean chowdah. ;)

CoasterChickie
07-22-2004, 11:03 AM
I realize we are talking Disney, but the above comment made me laugh.

But tell us jrad32, who du YOU think has the best chowder? You can only pick one! (San Francisco, San Francisco....come on...you can say it)

(Gosh I hope I'm not getting us booted out of here and into the lounge.)

Opus1guy
07-22-2004, 12:10 PM
dlandnut writes:

I'm well aware of other "chowders" in the world. But remember, we're at a DISNEY web site talking about DISNEY locations, sites, foods, etc.!

Well since you expand the topic to all of Disney (moderators, blame dlandnut...not me ;))...one of the best Disney restaurants serving Chowder is Cap'n Jack's (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/dining/diningDetail?id=CapnJacksRestaurantDiningPage) at Downtown Disney at Walt Disney World!

No breadbowl, but been serving great chowder there since 1971. I've eaten chowder at most of the famous and infamous spots all over the globe, and the Cap'n makes a mighty fine one. Been pleasing even the hard-to-please New England visitors for over 30 years now!

Potent and delicious frozen strawberry margaritas as well I might add. :)

Cap'n Jack's was the on-site hangout for many off-duty Disney execs for many, many years. A lot of old timers still hang out there.

Named for some head of Marketing at the time Walt Disney World was being designed and constructed. I think he later went on to hold some top position at Disneyland or something. ;) So you could say this post connects with Disneyland that way. ;)

jrad32
07-22-2004, 12:33 PM
I like SF the best. Sorry Boston.

blusilva
07-22-2004, 10:08 PM
If you are really craving it, it's pretty easy to make. I got the recipe here:
http://www.doombuggyproductions.com/Chowder.html

Mmmmm, mmm! Even my family was taken aback at how much "like Disneyland" it tasted.