PDA

View Full Version : Popcorn question

Pages : [1] 2

MrsG
07-21-2004, 08:07 AM
So I buy a souvenir bucket (it stays fresher) of popcorn for the drive home everytime we leave DL - becoming quite a tradition . My question is, will they refill this bucket for me, and if so, how much is it? I'm not trying to get free popcorn - I just don't need another souvenir bucket and would like to reuse the ones I already have.

SoCalDisneyLover
07-21-2004, 08:17 AM
The only thing I could imagine is that they would refill the bucket for the same amount, and just not give you a new bucket. Why would you want to bring back your old bucket and carry it around Disneyland all day, when you could just get a new one when you're ready to leave for your ride home? I appreciate your consideration of the environment, but I doubt DL is going to give you a better price just because you're not using a new container, which probably costs them pennies anyways.

stan4d_steph
07-21-2004, 08:30 AM
You could always just buy it in the box and then pour that into your existing buckets.

Polar33
07-21-2004, 08:34 AM
Technically there are no refills on the buckets, but one thing you could do is buy a box of popcorn and pour it into your bucket.

smd4
07-21-2004, 08:52 AM
A couple of questions: How does the popcorn stay fresher in a plastic bucket rather than cardboard? Some weird chemical reaction w/ the plastic?

Actually, maybe my questions are rhetorical: Is it really possible for Disney popcorn to get any staler than it already is, regardless of container?

Opus1guy
07-21-2004, 09:08 AM
Is it really possible for Disney popcorn to get any staler than it already is, regardless of container?

Wow...this one floored me! :)

Being a bit of a popcorn junkie, I've always thought Disneyland's popcorn to be the best traditional pop around! Usually always freshly popped the old fashion way, great quality kernels, and wonderfully yellow seasoned. Melt in your mouth! :)

Every guest I've talked to seems to think the same.

Maybe I'm just buying from the right cart for all these decades (hub)? Or maybe I only purchase when I see and smell the popper doing it's thing?

Regardless, I've never had what I consider "stale" popcorn at Disneyland in all the years I've been going there. Just lucky?

Although I do admit I also love Disneyland Paris' hot sugared popcorn. When Disneyland Paris first opened, their carts actually had a divider down the middle and they served both sugared and Amercian-style salted/seasoned popcorn. I guess they wanted to expose and offer the American style to Europeans. The salted didn't sell, so they reconfigured the carts and now they are all sugared popcorn only there.

Hakuna Makarla
07-21-2004, 09:13 AM
yum popcorn! say, do they make flavored pop corn in the park as well? say like carmel corn, or other delightful flavors? :)

Bill Catherall
07-21-2004, 09:39 AM
yum popcorn! say, do they make flavored pop corn in the park as well? say like carmel corn, or other delightful flavors? :)
There's honey popcorn in Critter Country.

stan4d_steph
07-21-2004, 10:05 AM
yum popcorn! say, do they make flavored pop corn in the park as well? say like carmel corn, or other delightful flavors? :) In addition to the honey popcorn Bill mentioned, they seel caramel corn at DCA. There's a cart in Condor Flats, and I think there used to be one in Paradise Pier.

rentayenta
07-21-2004, 10:44 AM
Mmmm Disneyland popcorn. When we go we have to get one for each of us. I like it out of the cardboard striped container. I have yet to have stale popcorn there.

To answer the original question; I bet they'd charge you less. I'm sure they count the numbers of containers. Just like the movie theaters won't give you an extra bag to share between kids because they count the bags.

MrsG
07-21-2004, 11:14 AM
DL popcorn is the best! It stays fresher in the plastic container because it has a lid. That way I can buy it the night before and eat it on the drive home the next day. Not as good a same-day freshness, but still darn good!

Thanks for all the input all you fellow popcorn junkies. I'll ask one of you ODV guys/gals this weekend about refills. I would think you could buy a bucket early in the day, and have it refilled at a reduced price, or at least for the price of the cardboard containers.

MrsG
07-21-2004, 11:15 AM
And, yes, I could just buy a cardboard container and dump it in the bucket - but don't we have enough waste and garbage?

Bill Catherall
07-21-2004, 11:46 AM
I would think you could buy a bucket early in the day, and have it refilled at a reduced price, or at least for the price of the cardboard containers.
You would think so, but you can't. The only way they can count inventory is by using the buckets/boxes. I would assume this is how they balance the till. So they can sell you enough boxes to fill the bucket, but you have to take and throw away the boxes. Same thing with the lemonade and those giant lemonade sippers (or any souvenir cup).

At least that's how it was explained to me by one ODV cart CM.

smd4
07-21-2004, 12:41 PM
Maybe I'm equating staleness with dryness. I'm a guy who likes butter on my popcorn. Or synthetic butter flavoring, even. But completely dry popcorn? No wonder it melts in your mouth--it's like a dry sponge!

I guess I'm just wierd this way.

But hey, I'l give you that Dland popcorn smells absolutely awesome, and nary a trip goes by that I don't buy a box.

MouseWife
07-21-2004, 12:55 PM
That is too bad if they don't give you a break on the price.

At Sea World I remember getting a break on having them re-fill one of our containers, with either popcorn or cotton candy...

mjformenotyou
07-21-2004, 01:00 PM
At Sea World I remember getting a break on having them re-fill one of our containers, with either popcorn or cotton candy...

yeah, earlier this summer my friend purchased a drink at the santa cruz boardwalk, and the worker, spent a good 3 minutes trying to convince her to upgrade to the refillable sipper [ALIEN sipper, nonetheless].

it seems like a deal for people who come to certain parks a lot over one season. i would imagine it wouldnt be hard to give people discounts for bringing refillable containers purchased at the park if they could somehow track how old the containers are (by changing them 6 months or something). back in the day when i worked at starbucks, we would give people discounts for bringing their own cups [albeit only 10 cents], but it encouraged less paper usage.

lindsay

MouseWife
07-21-2004, 01:37 PM
I remember Knott's also gave those sippy cups to us through a package at the Radisson and the kids were able to get free Boysenberry refills all day. I think maybe also soda but I am thinking that may have cost something. Either way, less than buying a soda.

They didn't care much for having to carry it around but I told them to hook it to their belt loop.

The trouble was the hotel clerk didn't tell us the first time we went that we could do that. And, when I asked the clerk the second time {as I had been told by another guest the plan} they acted like 'Yeah, duh.'

So, keep your ears perked to things!! Clerks don't always remember....

mjformenotyou
07-21-2004, 01:46 PM
now that i think about it too, when we stayed at the dixie landings resort [when it was still called that] in wdw, they had mugs to purchase that you could refill in their cafeteria/restaurant area for a lesser price. we still have them today.
lindsay

Lynnepitt
07-22-2004, 12:21 PM
Wow...this one floored me! :)

Although I do admit I also love Disneyland Paris' hot sugared popcorn. When Disneyland Paris first opened, their carts actually had a divider down the middle and they served both sugared and Amercian-style salted/seasoned popcorn. I guess they wanted to expose and offer the American style to Europeans. The salted didn't sell, so they reconfigured the carts and now they are all sugared popcorn only there.
- Over this side of the Atlantic we automatically assume popcorn is sweet!
In the cinemas (which would usually be one of the only places to get fresh popcorn) the counter is split down the middle - one sweet and one side salted and buttered. However, the salted half is always the one with the most in by far - the sweet buttered and sugared flavour always sells far, far quicker! It'll be nice to try the honey flavoured one!

jswtsang
07-22-2004, 12:24 PM
is this sweet popcorn that everyone's referring to kettle corn, or is it something even different? I love popcorn...in fact I even bought something called 'pupcorn' for my dog and 'woofie pop' which you could actually pop yourself. I tried it b/c it was supposed to be bacony, but it just smelled bacony, it tasted kind of salty, i think they put nutritional yeast on it.

btw i just found out that pop secret makes a glazed kettlecorn, even though it was more $ I bought a box just to see, maybe i'll make it tonight :)

jt

Opus1guy
07-22-2004, 05:00 PM
is this sweet popcorn that everyone's referring to kettle corn, or is it something even different?

The stuff in Europe is different. A light sugar coating. I believe Kettle Corn has both sweetners and salt. Maybe something else too.

Rae
07-22-2004, 05:23 PM
I love all popcorn, sweet or salty. In australia some shopping centres have popcorn kioks and you can get chocolate, caramel, creamy caramel, cheese, salt & vinegar, chilli, bbq and the list goes on and on.

My favourite would have to be the choclate, followed very closely by the creamy creamy caramel. :D

TimBuk2
07-22-2004, 07:35 PM
From 1991-2000 Disneyland was on my way home from work. Many times I would stop by, walk to the end of Main Street and get a box of 'corn and a soda. Then just sit and watch the people as I got down to the last drop of salt.

(Of course, that was BEFORE they tore up the parking lot where I could park near the Monorail track and be inside in 2 minutes.)

That was fun, just to relax and enjoy the park's beauty. And hear the all of the different languages spoken as they walk by.

Does anyone know what D-Land says the Popcorn carts are valued at? I'm talking about the red ones with the little clown.

jswtsang
07-23-2004, 08:17 AM
The stuff in Europe is different. A light sugar coating. I believe Kettle Corn has both sweetners and salt. Maybe something else too.

hmm, still sounds good, next time i get a chance to go to europe I'll have to be sure to try the popcorn! what countries is this indigenous to?

jt

Bill Catherall
07-23-2004, 09:47 AM
what countries is this indigenous to?
Wasn't it the Native Americans that taught the pilgrims how to make popcorn, and that's why we have Thanksgiving.

:D J/K I don't know the answer.