PDA

View Full Version : The week between Christmas and New Years

pisces
07-20-2004, 02:49 PM
I booked the week of December 27-Jan 2. On another thread, some of the members were frightening me, saying this is a horrible week to attend Disneyland.

I really have no choice, as it was the only time I could get free from work. I haven't visited Disneyland in 25 years, and have barely had a vacation in as long. I figure if nothing else, I would enjoy the Grand Californian Hotel, at least, for the week.

My question: given the crowds, is this week as unmanageable as some say? My strategy will be just to get to the original park at rope drop each day, (Anyone know when that is for that week?) ....and ride the rides I want for the first couple of hours they open. Then, go back to the hotel for a nap, food, pool, and/or DCA depending on the crowds. I would return to the original park that evening, but only for shopping and browsing and/or using up any fastpass (s) I collected that morning.

Is this a good strategy for the 7 days between Christmas thru New Years? I have no other alternative of changing my dates, yet I'd hate to think I'll be miserable during that week.

Pammer
07-20-2004, 03:01 PM
Unfortunately, this week is probably the worst week of the year to go, for the same reason why it's the only time you can go...people can get off of work and the kids are out of school. It's just the way it is!

That being said, to maximize your enjoyment of the parks during this time:

1) Be at DL first thing in the morning, preferably before official opening time

2) See your favorite attractions as soon as possible during the first couple of hours (before everyone else shows up!)

3) Use FastPass for the most popular attractions

4) Go to DCA when DL gets too crowded

5) Go back to your hotel for some rest during the busiest time of the afternoon

6) Return to the parks for the evening entertainment (fireworks, parades, Fantasmic!, Electrical Parade, etc.)

7) Hordes of people leave as the evening entertainment mentioned above are done...lines will start reducing as the evening goes on. If you have a nap in the afternoon, you'll be raring to go longer in the evening (unless you have small children)

8) If you have children under age 6-7, bring an umbrella stroller...you will be glad you don't have to carry your child back to your hotel at night!

9) People-watch...it can be fun too!

If you're prepared for what the atmosphere will be like beforehand, you're better prepared to have a good time when you're there, because you're well-informed. If all else fails, remember...you're at DL - relax and just enjoy yourself! :D

pisces
07-20-2004, 03:07 PM
That's pretty much what I'd planned.

But, what IS the official opening time for that week? Would you say a line starts forming at the gate an hour before official opening?

I dislike the heat and hot weather far more than I dislike crowds. So, if it has to be crowded, at least it won't be hot at that time of year. I love rain, and I'm hoping for rain at least one of those days, although it might not make much of a difference crowd-wise during that particular week.

Your #7 I hadn't thought of , though. When everyone's watching the parades, fireworks whatever......I can be getting in some night rides?????!!!!! That's a pretty good idea!!!

Thanks.

mystycalchyk
07-20-2004, 03:12 PM
*shrugs*

depends on what you think is the 'worst'

personally we go every single year during that week and we love it.

to each his own.

If you are going on New Years Eve, you will more than likely not be able to leave and come back. The park reaches capacity early on and they will not let you in after that.

Oh and if you do happen to go in NYE, look for my group...we call ourselves the Disney Hub Club and we meet up every single NYE at the front side of the hub (nearest the castle) for the evenings entertainment. We are the ones who bring the (now famous) beach balls.

Tis a great time, and yeah its crowded but who cares. We have a blast and if you're going to be there that long you will have plenty of time to enjoy everything even with all the people.

My hubby and I are arriving on the 26th and leaving on the 2nd this year. Hope to see you there :fez:

Oh and it did rain several days last yaer during tha week. Was a cold drizzly rain. But I think its all in what you make of it. We had a great time even with the rain. It cracks me up when I hear people whining and complaining about the rain. They need to get over it and come what they came to do. You can choose to be miserable or choose to love it. Its up to you

pisces
07-20-2004, 03:23 PM
Ok, now here's what confuses me: The park reaches "official capacity" . Do they warn you before you decide to leave, so you can rethink whether you want to go or not? That's going to be a looong day for me, if I have to arrive at the gate an hour before opening.....and can't leave till....2 am!!!! I'll have to think about that one!

What happens when DCA reaches official capacity? I'll be a guest at the Grand Californian. Aren't guests always let thru the special Hotel entrance to DCA no matter what?

I think someone should do a thread with New Years Eve tips and strategies.

I will definitely look for your group; but would you mind posting a reminder on here as it gets closer to the date?

Goofy'sDad
07-20-2004, 03:30 PM
We've gone during this time and loved it. Yeah, the crowds are the worst of any time during the year, but the shows and attractions are all running and DL is especially special at Christmas. A few important things that made it work for us:
1) Be prepared with a good strategy to avoid the lines - including making the best use of Fastpass. Believe it or not, you can see and do everything you want if you just plan well. We used Ridemax, a computer program (discussed elsewhere on these boards) that takes your list of things you want to do and gives you a touring plan. It really works. Similar ideas and strategies are in Sehlinger's Unofficial Guide to Disneyland. But Ridemax will use the latest line wait counts and ride closures for the time you say you'll be there - and it uses the latest info on Fastpass options, including which attractions are "disconnected."
2) Stay at a hotel at or adjacent to the park so that you can bop over and back to your room easily. Don't waste your time waiting for and sitting on hotel shuttles.
3) Get to the park EARLY, before it opens. The first couple of hours are much easier for lines. Also, the last couple of hours of the day are much easier for lines - stay late or come back in the evening if you can.
4) Bring your smiles and best 'tude, prepared to look beyond all the bodies and enjoy the place and those who are enjoying it.
We've had some of our best times at DL during this week. Enjoy! :cool:

rentayenta
07-20-2004, 04:00 PM
We are going Dec. 23-28. It is a very busy time but magical too. It really is all about attitude. DL is so beautiful during that time. There is a little chill in the air but nothing a sweater won't cure.

Plan accordingly. You have been given some great advice here. I'm sure you'll have the best time.

I am jealous that you are staying at the GC! It's in DCA and I read somewhere that they have special activities for their guests during the holidays.

As far as DCA being at capacity, I don't know if thats ever happened?

mystycalchyk
07-20-2004, 04:03 PM
Absolutely will post a reminder for you ;)

and as far as if they will 'warn you' about it reaching capacity, I cant honesly say, as I never leave on this one day. Every other day we are there we get there first thing..leave by noon or so , nap till 4 or 5 then come back till close but on NYE we prety much get to our 'spot' in the hub and dont leave all day. You really cant miss us. As more of our 'club' arrives they will offer to save our places while we go eat or play for a bit, but as the day closes (by 5) we are all at our post of duty and hang it out till the end. It is a long day...but this will be our 6th year and I wouldnt miss it for the world :fez: :geek: :p :fez: :D

and I doubt DCA reaches capacity in all honesty.

SCUBAbe
07-20-2004, 04:49 PM
Ok, now here's what confuses me: The park reaches "official capacity" . Do they warn you before you decide to leave, so you can rethink whether you want to go or not? That's going to be a looong day for me, if I have to arrive at the gate an hour before opening.....and can't leave till....2 am!!!! I'll have to think about that one!

My friend took her daughter right after christmas last year. When they got there the park was at apacity. They sold them the full price tickets and said to try and come back around 6PM. They got in, but alot of the rides were broken down and it was very crowded. They tried to make the best of it, but they didn't have the best time. They would have went back home, but it's about a 2 hour drive.

Also, I used ridemax last weekend anf it was great. that may help with the crowds. I just got tired of being bumped and pushed when we went on 12/27. The crowds were a bit to much for me.

Ghoulish Delight
07-20-2004, 04:57 PM
Yes, they not only warn you if it has reached capacity, they warn you if they think it MIGHT reach capacity. At least that's my experience. On the extremely crowded days I've been there, the CMs at the exit gates explained the situation to me as I exited.

Pammer
07-21-2004, 07:10 AM
But, what IS the official opening time for that week? Would you say a line starts forming at the gate an hour before official opening?

I would guess that DL will open at 8am all week, and DCA at 10am (but possibly earlier). I've only gone to DCA once during this week, so I can't answer your question about the line-forming time; however, an hour sounds reasonable to me.

depends on what you think is the 'worst'

Huge crowds is what I meant by the worst...for others, it's a magical time. ;)

Goofy'sDad
07-21-2004, 08:20 AM
By the way, Pisces, they have discontinued the single rider Fastpass option on IJA. The only ride that it's currently available on in DL is Splash. At DCA, it's available on GRR, Maliboomer, and Soarin'.

pisces
07-21-2004, 10:48 AM
By the way, Pisces, they have discontinued the single rider Fastpass option on IJA. The only ride that it's currently available on in DL is Splash. At DCA, it's available on GRR, Maliboomer, and Soarin'.

What does IJA stand for? Splash is one of the rides that I'm very eager to go on. That and matterhorn (which I understand doesn't have fastpass, even!)

I would imagine that even with a single riders line, on New Years Eve, it's still a long wait.

Now: If the Park is opening at 8:00 am that week, and I want to get in as many rides as I can, do I really really really need to be at the front gate at 7:00a.m......that week? Or.....can I waltz right up to the front of the gate at 7:55 a.m and tell them that I am a guest of the Grand Californian....and be let in at the front of the line?

In other words, I already know about the special DCA entrance for GC guests. But, is there anything that GC guests get special to enter the original park ahead of everyone else?

Everyone, you are so great for helping me out. I really value everyone's advice and I am printing out all these posts so I will have them at the ready when December comes around, and I hope it gets here soon!

mystycalchyk
07-21-2004, 10:55 AM
What does IJA stand for?
Indiana Jones Adventure

Now: If the Park is opening at 8:00 am that week, and I want to get in as many rides as I can, do I really really really need to be at the front gate at 7:00a.m......that week?

there is no law....of course....but the earlier the better. An hour ahead of rope drop is normal and alot of people are already in line at that point (myself included)

Or.....can I waltz right up to the front of the gate at 7:55 a.m and tell them that I am a guest of the Grand Californian....and be let in at the front of the line?

If you have the 'early entry benefit' that day then you are allowed in earlier than the general public, yes...I have never stayed on Disney property in CA soo I dont know the rules...in WDW in FL though each park had a specific day where you were granted early entry....so you may want to check if its DCA one day and Dland proper another....just a guess.

I will be there the same time as you...hope to see you there...and have a wonderful magical time