PDA

View Full Version : Just came back from DLR....

Zigen
07-19-2004, 12:11 PM
Family and I went for the weekend 7/17-7/18. Last visit was in april, we go maybe 2-4 times a year. Overall I had a blast (i always do) and so did the kids. Just wanted to make some quick observations and comments.

1. The single worst thing i disliked about this trip was the tram ride. Usually I stay within walking distance to the parks but this trip we didnt and had to take the tram. For starters, the exhaust pipe is on the lower left side of the main car. If you sit anywhere near the front of the tram, it seems like your breathing the exhaust for the entire time your riding the tram. Even near the back i could smell the exhaust. My smell isn't half as good as my wifes. Usually I can stand the smell of such things but for some reason, I wasn't happy about this. There's enough smog in L.A., couldn't Disneyland come up with a hydro/electric enviroment friendly tram? Most visitors have to take this tram, so its the 1st and last thing they do at Disneyland. There has to be a better way! Peee-Yew! You figure how many people are taken to the park by tram every year, wouldnt someone want to make a enviroment friendly tram to expose the public to such uses.

2. All CM's we're very friendly and happy this weekend. More so than any other day we've gone. Not sure why, maybe they spiked the CM's drinks. This is a very nice thing to see. Keep up the great work.

3. Anamation building is a great place to stay while a young one is taking a nap. My 2.8yo daughter slept here for an hour. Its nice and cool inside. Great place to sit down and rest on a hot day. They started to have characters sign autographs and take pictures inside to attract more people every 1/2 hour or so. I just wish they would have different movies playing. The walt movie is good, but they need more varity, maybe have 3-4 different movies playing throughout the day. Also wished they showed more of the movies on the huge screens. Maybe play an entire song of the movie before going onto the next.

4. Sunday was not busy at all. Got there at 8:15am, did everything in fantasyland within the 1st hour. Splash, GRR, Indy all were broke in the morning. But reopened later in the afternoon (not sure about GRR, the water was drained in the morning). Longest line was Splash with a 90 min wait at 4pm (had fastpass for this), indy's wait was 30 mins. POTC, HM, and Pooh had no Fastpass. The wait was about 5 - 10 mins long. I didnt mind not having fastpass for those rides... We rode Screaming back to back, no lines at 3pm. We didnt get to toon town this visit... but did just about everything else we could.

5. 1st time on tower of terror. It was ok... It seemed very short to me. We got fastpass for 1pm, only passed maybe 5 people in stand by. The que is neat. Once on the ride, it does it's thing, then its over pretty quick. It's ok, I don't think I would be too bummed if I miss this ride next time in the park. Most likely I'd get a fastpass just in case and go on it if we had nothing else to do at that time.

6. Watched the fireworks on sat night from the innventions building balcony. Great view from there. It was nice to be able to keep the kids busy with stuff inside the building, then walking out just before the show starts. It is a mad house after the fireworks on main street. Seemed like the entire park was leaving. Wish they had 1 more exit after the fireworks.

7. Sat night got the worst parking in my life, 5th level, 4H near the very far corner of Mickeys parking structure. Sunday had the best parking in my life right next to the tram station.

8. I only noticed 1 exit sign in the HM. That 1 time was when the ride stopped for a few seconds and I looked around for it. I didn't think it was a big deal...

Thats bout it. Had a great time. chow!

Wendi
07-19-2004, 01:13 PM
Great review, thanks for sharing! I am glad to hear that the waits for POTC & HM were short without the FP. I'll have to check out the Innoventions balcony next time I'm there, sounds great!

spectromen
07-19-2004, 03:42 PM
Glad you had a good time. I totally agree about the trams. For those of us with high sensitivity to smells (i.e., migarine sufferers!) it's especially disparaging. If they're not going to reopen the Peoplemover like smart folks, I'd love to see them reused along the tram pathways...

sediment
07-19-2004, 07:15 PM
If they're not going to reopen the Peoplemover like smart folks, I'd love to see them reused along the tram pathways...
I cannot believe how great an idea this is! I don't know how tall of a fence would be required to deter hitchhikers, though.

SCUBAbe
07-19-2004, 10:33 PM
I didn't notice the exit signs this time either. The ride was going really slow in spots so I noticed some things that I hadn't noticed before. It was cool to really look around at things. The exit ramp is broke again though..:(

Hakuna Makarla
07-20-2004, 05:28 AM
hello and welcome back. I am glad you had a good time!

How was your stay at the carousel? was it clean and up to par? looking forward to hearing about your room there, what floor, and the beds, were they comfortable( I love a harder bed) :)

DisneylandForever
07-20-2004, 06:49 AM
Karla, if you like hard beds, I recommend the Best Inn. Their beds are like stone.

I personally love the Carousel Inn. It's one of my favorite 2 stars on the row.

SCUBAbe
07-20-2004, 11:03 AM
hello and welcome back. I am glad you had a good time!

How was your stay at the carousel? was it clean and up to par? looking forward to hearing about your room there, what floor, and the beds, were they comfortable( I love a harder bed) :)

for a 2 star at $59.00 a night I can't really complain, but I will...LOL ... The pillows were flat and lumpy. The beds sagged in the middle and one of our beds was slanted to one side. When we first got in the room it smelled really musty, but we turned the air on set to outside air when we left. When we got back it was nice. We had an issue with the shower. My mother and I both turned the water on to hard (who knew you could do that) and the floor flooded. My father didn't turn it on as hard and he didn't flood the floor. Also, the bathroom sink was VERY slow draining. Like 10 minutes to drain and it filled up fast. I reported the shower and sick problem to the desk and they were sending maintenance up when we were checking out. Other than that it was fine. We would stay there again. From the walkways outside the room you can see DCA. You can see the fireworks from the pool or breakfast room and it's really close to palces to eat. The walk to the park was very quick. It's in a great location.

All the employees there were very nice. We didn't eat the free breakfast, because we were ready to leave for the next hotel at 6:30 am to valet the car and store the luggage. (the free breakfast starts at 7am.) We went to Mc Donalds (which is right next door.) The paradise pier was very nice, but at more than twice the cost it should be. However, it was really nice staying away from the park. It almost seemed more relaxing. I don't know why though. I'm sure you'll love it and you'll have a fantastic time!!