PDA

View Full Version : Residents near DisneyLand (who's right)

EO's Glove
07-16-2004, 09:26 AM
In articles on this website and others (miceage), they talk about resident near
DisneyLand complaining about noise and smoke (fireworks).

So I though "Well, what do you expect, you live near DisneyLand, Duh!".

But I realize that could be too unfeeling an attitude.

What do you think? I'm sure DisneyLand has been around much longer than any resident nearby now, and as such has seniority. Are people selfish by moving close and then complaining?

Or an I blinded by infatuation for Disney Parks?

-EOG

MrsG
07-16-2004, 09:35 AM
I agree. Similar situation: We move into a neighborhood near the railroad tracks. We knew it was there when we moved in. We didn't complain. Think I'd prefer fireworks....

AVP
07-16-2004, 10:47 AM
I used to live 3 miles from the park, close enough that I could set my clock by the fireworks.

I knew Disneyland was there when I moved in. It's not like the park popped up in the middle of the night.

With very few exceptions, nobody living near Disneyland right now can claim that the park wasn't there when they bought their house. I have little sympathy for them.

AVP

tod
07-16-2004, 10:50 AM
I think the problem started when Disneyland started having fireworks every weekend all year long. No rational person could move near Disneyland without knowing about the fireworks during the summer. But when Disneyland started expanding the fireworks shows to doing it every weekend all year long, that's when the rumblings of discontent among the neighbors started.

And by the way -- I have watched the fireworks from the grassy curb by the Sheraton and when the wind is right the smoke comes toward you and the fallout comes down, and it's nasty stuff. The fallout smells of gunpowder, it's charred, and it looks downright dangerous. I wouldn't want it falling in my backyard, I'll tell ya that. :eek:

--t

MrsG
07-16-2004, 11:06 AM
I experienced the smoke while standing near Dumbo. "cough... cough...."

rentayenta
07-16-2004, 02:05 PM
My grandmother has lived in Anaheim for many years and was there before Disneyland. She has yet to complain about the fireworks. She's a cool old chick :)

Merm8fan
07-16-2004, 02:21 PM
<<putting on my personal pair of rose-colored glasses>>

I would love to live near Disneyland!

<<now clicking my heels three times>>

Meanwhile, back in the real world:

Similar story here in the Vegas valley: City has been expanding out to the pig farm areas. Residents of new housing developments now want pig farms shut down. Helllooooooo...! If you don't want to live by a pig farm, don't buy a house near a pig farm.

Disneyphile
07-16-2004, 04:36 PM
I'm going to be looking at apartments in Anaheim tomorrow. I'm rather excited at the prospects of living near DL, and if we find a nice one, I totally will be out on my deck nightly to watch/listen. :D

masilly1
07-16-2004, 09:00 PM
I agree with everyone else. They knew DL was there when they moved in
SO...
OH WELL!!

It's just like people who move near airports and then complain about the sound of planes taking off, landing and flying overhead...HELLO?? :rolleyes:

iceman559
07-16-2004, 09:11 PM
thats just like how people are moving in towards Luke AFB and Sky Harbor Intl. Airport in Glendale and Phoenix, AZ, and are complaining about the noise from all the planes when both Luke and Sky Harbor were there before people moved in.

SCUBAbe
07-16-2004, 09:56 PM
I think it's partly that people know what is around them when they buy, but living with it day in and day out is grating on the nerves. Usually when people look to buy they may spend an hour looking at the place. Maybe go back a couple of times. The noise may not be a problem then. I for one would realize DL shoots off fireworks. I would not anticipate nightly smoke and debris falling on my house and car nightly. Somethings you can not anticipate or they don't seem like a big deal until your experiencing it on a daily basis.

I live in aerospace country. They are always test flying planes around. Sometimes the sonic booms shake the whole house. I'm kinda used to it now, but occasionally a sonic boom will catch me by surprise....LOL...it doesn't bother me though. I still run outside to watch the various fighter jets and cargo planes flying around. I still love seeing the stealths out and about...:)they are really fats though. By the time you hear them (and they are LOUD) they are already pretty far away.

lazyboy97O
07-16-2004, 10:01 PM
I feel you only have a right to complain if you or your family have been living there since before the opening of the park. But no right if you were there and you sold land to Disney.

SCUBAbe
07-16-2004, 10:43 PM
and I feel that if I lived near the park and my car got covered in ashes, debris and embers nightly I would be PO'd too. Now if the real estate agent told me that would happen and I bought anyway...now thats a different story. I would expect the loud booms of the show, but people complain about is the smoke (thats been taken care of), and debris that lands in their yards and on their cars.

Also, A point was made that the fireworks used to be only during the summer now they are year round. That isn't something people could anticipate when they bought.

Disney Vault
07-17-2004, 09:30 AM
People just complain to much today. And you would think this would bring the value of homes around DL way down, so why is it so expensive to live near the parks?