PDA

View Full Version : LGB versus ONT

GoingSoon
07-15-2004, 04:20 PM
Ok, my last question is how do these two airports compare? Southwest to ONT is the same as JetBlue to LGB so I am just trying to figure out which is the best airport to fly into. Thanks!

Rachel

Disney Vault
07-15-2004, 05:28 PM
I dont know about the airports but jetblue is a way better airline.

Disney Vault
07-15-2004, 05:35 PM
Sorry, i didnt see your other post. Next time if you have multiple questions just put them all in one thread.

GoingSoon
07-15-2004, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the info on Jet Blue.

Rachel

MrsG
07-15-2004, 06:26 PM
Ontario is way out there. I'd go with Long Beach.

Wkr3kt
07-15-2004, 07:20 PM
Jet Blue & Long Beach are the only way to go! So easy, convenient, fast and great service. It is the only way my family will travel to Southern California. We have done it many times and loved it. Jet Blue is usually cheaper than Southwest too!!

GoingSoon
07-16-2004, 07:32 AM
Thanks so much everyone! I am definitely going to book LGB with Jet Blue. Thanks for helping me make up my indecisive mind! lol

Rachel

John Wayne Airport
05-31-2005, 03:08 PM
Even though you already made up your mind, I just want to say ONT is great. I think you made the right choice by choosing Jetblue to LGB though.

Darkbeer
05-31-2005, 03:11 PM
LGB is a laid back, slow airport, which is nice... a Taxi is about $35 one way to the DLR...

I would pick LGB over any other airport in the area, John Wayne is a bit closer, and most airlines don't fly into LGB, so John Wayne is a good second choice.

Matterhornman18
05-31-2005, 03:21 PM
This all depends on which location you're coming from. Southwest is typically cheaper in most western areas with the exception of Denver. And, Southwest flies into SNA (Orange County Airport). I would definately fly Southwest but thats my opinion. I think Southwest and Jet Blue are both good carriers but to me Southwest is better and more convienient. However, Ontario is way further. Check Southwest to Orange County from your departing city, you may find it worth your while to go that route. By the way....Southwest airlines is ranked #1 carrier in the country year after year and are the only airline making profit (believe it or not)...Just something to think about :D

My2kidsrule
05-31-2005, 05:46 PM
I agree with the JetBlue sentiment, but ONT is actually a very nice, very easy airport to deal with, and it's only a 25 minute drive to DLR depending on traffic. Just take the 15 to the 60 to the 57 and you're there.

But yeah, JetBlue is the way to go.

tlovesdis
05-31-2005, 07:32 PM
We flew from Oakland to LB in December on Jet Blue and now we will never drive again! It was so easy and convienient and Jet Blue is waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Southwest!!!

Matterhornman18
05-31-2005, 08:14 PM
We flew from Oakland to LB in December on Jet Blue and now we will never drive again! It was so easy and convienient and Jet Blue is waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Southwest!!!

The only thing they have on SW is the TV's which is great..They are both awesome airlines BUT SW generates better revenues still..

Darkbeer
05-31-2005, 09:08 PM
The only thing they have on SW is the TV's which is great..They are both awesome airlines BUT SW generates better revenues still..

^ As a customer, who cares which airline makes a profit, all I want is good service at a low price, and Jet Blue delivers better service...

http://www.inc.com/magazine/20040301/nbrodsky.html

Let me tell you about an experience I had last fall on a flight from New York to California. As usual, I was flying JetBlue. I've been a JetBlue fan from my first contact with the airline, and not just because its fares are lower than its competitors'. What I like most of all is the service. JetBlue doesn't overbook; I've never seen lines at its airport counters; you can watch live television on the plane; if you need to change a flight, the fee is $25, instead of $100; when you call with a problem, the service reps really do try to help you solve it--and they don't make you feel as though you're being taken to the cleaners. The company does a hundred little things to make traveling by air simple, easy, and painless. So I use JetBlue whenever I can, despite the inconvenience of having to fly into and out of secondary airports.

http://www.destinationcrm.com/articles/default.asp?ArticleID=4988

Jet Blue ranked first, for the second year in a row, in the 15th annual Airline Quality Rating study. The AQR, a joint effort by Dean Headley of Wichita State University and Brent Bowen of the University of Nebraska at Omaha, ranks the 16 largest U.S. airlines in on-time arrivals, baggage handling, denied boardings, and customer complaints. Overall, four of the top-five rated airlines are low-fare carriers, with AirTran, Southwest, and Alaska trailing Jet Blue. United Airlines, ranked fourth, was the only major carrier to make the top five.

The complete ranking places Jet Blue first, followed by AirTran, Southwest, United, Alaska, America West, Northwest, American, Continental, ATA, Delta, US Airways, American Eagle, SkyWest, COMAIR and Atlantic Southeast. http://m3.doubleclick.net/viewad/817-grey.gif (http://ad.doubleclick.net/click;h=v3|328a|0|0|%2a|h;44306;0-0;0;7565885;31-1|1;0|0|0;;~sscs=%3f)

KarenW2
05-31-2005, 10:28 PM
All this talk about Jet Blue is kinda sad, when you remember that the reason they changed their name from ValuJet to Jet Blue is because of that awful crash years ago! My girlfriend in Dallas had a cousin who was killed in that crash. She got a very sad phone call one day, asking her what color nail polish her cousin wore, since they were trying to identify the bodies.

I certainly hope they have changed whatever bad practices they had back then and are a way safer airline to fly these days. Please be careful.

Darkbeer
05-31-2005, 10:33 PM
All this talk about Jet Blue is kinda sad, when you remember that the reason they changed their name from ValuJet to Jet Blue is because of that awful crash years ago! My girlfriend in Dallas had a cousin who was killed in that crash. She got a very sad phone call one day, asking her what color nail polish her cousin wore, since they were trying to identify the bodies.

I certainly hope they have changed whatever bad practices they had back then and are a way safer airline to fly these days. Please be careful.

JetBlue has NOTHING to do with ValuJet!!!!

ValuJet became AirTran....

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/features/2003/2003-08-18-airtran.htm

The crash of a DC-9 into the Everglades in May 1996, killing all 110 people aboard, made an industry pariah of the low-fare airline ValuJet.
A little more than seven years later, the airline, now known as AirTran Airways, has made a stunning recovery.

Please be careful when you say things like that... Thanks in Advance.

Pat-n-Eil
06-01-2005, 04:16 AM
I usually have to fly SWA by default. My only other choice from here to there is America West and they are usually way more expensive. Southwest only recently started flying into SNA from here, so that makes my choice very easy.

I suppose I could drive to Oakland, but then if I'm going to do all that, I might as well drive all the way to Disneyland.

As far as the profit statement, I must say that profitable airliines usually have enough money for proper maintenance. Airlines that lose money are always looking for another place to save..

tlovesdis
06-01-2005, 06:28 AM

I would have to diasagree. I don't like the fact that I can't get my seat assignment ahead of time and that I have to wait like cattle to get on the plane. I think that the customer service on JetBlue is better and I love the TV! It's just more convienient for me to fly Jet Blue!

Matterhornman18
06-02-2005, 10:06 PM
I would have to diasagree. I don't like the fact that I can't get my seat assignment ahead of time and that I have to wait like cattle to get on the plane. I think that the customer service on JetBlue is better and I love the TV! It's just more convienient for me to fly Jet Blue!

This is quite a monotenous conversation. Fact of matter is this, SWA uses the "cattle call" system for one reason and one reason only. ON TIME FLYING. If you want a good seat you can get your window seat, just get an A boarding pass. People complain about being late, so SWA fixed this (or partially fixed it) but I can tell you they un board and pack them back in quite fastly which is a big CONVIENIENCE when I travel. Also, they only use ONE airplane the B - 737 all of their mechanics and pilots are all trained for that one plane which is a huge cost saver, hence them turning the revenue to keeping the planes at a safe maintained level...

How did someome mis construe the ValuJet and Jet Blue part so bad.....? :confused:

John Wayne Airport
06-06-2005, 04:31 PM
Also, they only use ONE airplane the B - 737 all of their mechanics and pilots are all trained for that one plane which is a huge cost saver, hence them turning the revenue to keeping the planes at a safe maintained level...

I agree using one type of aircraft does save money. Look at all the LCC's (low cost carriers), they are consistant on their aircraft.

Airtran-Boeing 717's and brand new 737-700's
Jetblue-A320's and Embraer 190's soon to come
Frontier-A318's, A319's and CR7's (Canadair Regional Jet 700)
Southwest-737 series
Independence Air-A319's and CRJ's (Canadair Regional Jet)
America West-A319's, A320's and CRJ's

Now look at two examples of the major airlines.

American-MD-80/83's, 767-200/300's, A300-600's, 737-800's, 757-200's, and 777's. If you add American Eagle it would add; ATR 72's, CR7's, ERJ-145/140/135's, and Saab 340's
Delta-757-200's, 737-800's, 737-300's, 737-200's, MD-90's, MD-88's, 777-200's, 767-200/300/400's. If you add Delta Connection it would add; AT7's, CRJ's, CR7's, ERJ-145's, ER3's, and EM2's.

Major difference. Now let's look at the hubs of airlines.
LCC's

Airtran-hub ATL (Atlanta) Plus a couple focus cities.
Jetblue-no hubs just focus cities. JFK, LGB, FLL, BOS
Frontier-hub DEN (Denver)
Southwest-does a lot of point to point service.
Independence Air-hub IAD (Washington Dulles)
America West-hub PHX, LAS

Major's (Hubs in the U.S.)

AA-ORD (Chicago O'Hare),STL (Saint Louis Lambert),DFW (Dallas/Fort Worth),MIA (Miami)
CO-CLE, EWR (Newark, NJ), IAH (Houston)
DL-ATL, CVG (Cincinnati), SLC (Salt Lake City)
NW-DTW, MSP
UA-ORD,DEN,LAX,SFO,IAD
US-PHL, CLT, PIT

As you can tell the LCC's have less hubs and more point to point service making them profitable (except Independence Air).
P.S. I wrote up all of this just to add to what Matterhornman18 said.

Fact of matter is this, SWA uses the "cattle call" system for one reason and one reason only. ON TIME FLYING. If you want a good seat you can get your window seat, just get an A boarding pass. People complain about being late, so SWA fixed this (or partially fixed it) but I can tell you they un board and pack them back in quite fastly which is a big CONVIENIENCE when I travel.
I have read that Southwest will start assigning seats in the the future.

mrcoffee
06-06-2005, 04:46 PM
I agree using one type of aircraft does save money. Look at all the LCC's (low cost carriers), they are consistant on their aircraft.

That is a part; but another large reason is the pensions. All the 'legacy' airlines have quite underfunded pensions, while the newer startups haven't been around for 50-60 years, and some only have 401k's.

I have read that Southwest will start assigning seats in the the future.

According to this followup from their CEO (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=316110&highlight=assigned+seating), probably not "anytime soon".

John Wayne Airport
06-06-2005, 04:55 PM
That is a part; but another large reason is the pensions. All the 'legacy' airlines have quite underfunded pensions, while the newer startups haven't been around for 50-60 years, and some only have 401k's.

According to this followup from their CEO (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=316110&highlight=assigned+seating), probably not "anytime soon".
Yea the pensions are a large reason also. Thanks for finding that information on flyertalk about Southwest assigned seating. I guess no assigned seating is what makes Southwest, Southwest. ;)
P.S. I love flyertalk. :cool: