PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Activities for 49th B-Day, July 17, 2004

DisneyDaniel
07-15-2004, 03:47 PM
Disneyland held its grand opening on July 17, 1955, so does anyone know if there will be any special activities or events on Saturday, July 17, 2004? One cast member told me he heard that Michel Eisner, Matt Ouimet and other Disney officials will make an appearance in front of Sleeping Beauty Castle early in the morning. When I asked for information at Disneyland's City Hall, all three people behind the counter said they did not have any information or details. Does anyone at MousePad know what will happen this year on July 17, or at least share what has happened in the past? Thank you!

DisneyBob
07-15-2004, 04:02 PM
A previous MousePlanet update said that Shwartzenegger was going to be present. Is this still happening???

DisneyDaniel
07-15-2004, 04:03 PM
I just received the answer to my own question! Here is a press release from the Disneyland Resort:

SAY "CHEESE!" DISNEYLAND RESORT INVITES THE WORLD TO BE A PART OF "THE HAPPIEST FACES ON EARTH...A DISNEY FAMILY ALBUM"

ANAHEIM, Calif., July 14, 2004 - In a visually spectacular kick-off ceremony in front of Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland in Southern California, Disneyland Resort President Matt Ouimet will join 1,400 Disneyland Cast Members, plus their families and friends, on Saturday, July 17 in formally launching an exciting new program that will be a major part of the global celebration of the 50th anniversary of Disneyland next year.

"The Happiest Faces on Earth . . . A Disney Family Album" is an unprecedented invitation to people around the world to send in their cherished Disney memories (especially their favorite Disneyland memories) in the form of photographs, snapshots or digital images (both old and recent). The hundreds of thousands of anticipated submissions will be woven together to create "The Happiest Faces on Earth . . . A Disney Family Album," a series of extremely unique photo collages of classic Disney characters and images from the last half century.

By contributing their favorite Disney photo memories to the oversized photo collages of "The Happiest Faces on Earth . . . A Disney Family Album," people the world over will become active participants in the milestone "The Happiest Homecoming on Earth" 50th anniversary celebration of Disneyland, officially launching on May 5, 2005. The collages will then be on exhibit throughout the Disneyland Resort, remaining on display for 18-months throughout the entire duration of the celebration.

"Starting July 17, 2004, on the 49th anniversary of Disneyland and extending through December 31 of this year we invite everyone in the world to send us their most treasured and special Disney photos, especially those of their unforgettable visits to Disneyland," said Ouimet. "This is an amazing program that will allow everybody to become part of this one-of-a-kind tapestry of memories during our upcoming milestone 50th anniversary."

To visually demonstrate the collage concept, "The Happiest Faces on Earth . . . A Disney Family Album" program will be launched via the unveiling of an enormous photo collage of Mickey Mouse in front of Sleeping Beauty Castle. Each of the 1,400 participants will hold a square, 3'x3' color Disney image over their heads and when properly arranged and combined, create a gigantic smiling image of Mickey Mouse. The impressive visual will be produced to accurately illustrate the photo collage technique that will be utilized in creating "The Happiest Faces on Earth . . . A Disney Family Album."

Everyone is encouraged to submit their color or black and white photos beginning today 8:00am via information available at www.disneyland.com/photos. All photos must be received by December 31, 2004 to be considered for use. A photo release form is available online and must be included with all photo submissions, along with appropriate contact information (name, address, email and phone number). Participants in the program are encouraged not to send original photos. Not all photo submissions will be used for various reasons. Confirmation emails and letters will be sent in spring 2005 to all participants confirming receipt of photo and, if the photo is used, notification of the general placement of the photo in the collages.

Photo imagery can also be sent via the following mailing options:
U.S. Postal Service
Happiest Faces on Earth
PO Box 30464
Salt Lake City, Utah 84130-0464

FedEx/UPS
Happiest Faces on Earth
c/o Data Services Direct
2481 S. 1560 West
Woods Cross, Utah 84087

Premiering on May 5, 2005 "The Happiest Homecoming on Earth," an extraordinary celebration of the 50th anniversary of Disneyland, will pay tribute to the millions of guests and cast members who have contributed to the rich legacy of "The Happiest Place on Earth" over the past five decades. The 18-month long occasion represents the biggest event in the history
of The Walt Disney Company and is the first truly global Disney celebration (with commemorative events planned at each of the Disney theme parks around the world in an international salute to Disneyland).
To learn more about "The Happiest Faces on Earth . . . A Disney Family Album," please visit www.disneyland.com/photos. For general Disneyland information, or information on "The Happiest Homecoming on Earth" 50th anniversary celebration, please visit www.disneyland.com.

sediment
07-15-2004, 04:15 PM
I hope the collages are arranged by ride. Especially the Yesterland ones.

Disneyphile
07-15-2004, 04:38 PM
Very cool!!! I think I finally have a reason to send them the full-sized version of my avatar, which more clearly shows the silhouette of a guy wearing Mickey ears. :D

Darkbeer
07-15-2004, 05:04 PM
Laughing Place is reporting that a brief ceremony will happen at 10 AM Saturday on Main Street.

mystycalchyk
07-15-2004, 05:10 PM
OK maybe Im stupid...but after that, and pics are displayed for 18 months? then what? is there some sort of permanence to any of it? ala the leave a Legacy thing at Epcot? or the bricks? anything??? We have a two tiles at the Leave a Legacy...this would be fun too...but still wondering about the permanence thing :confused:

GoldenEars
07-15-2004, 09:33 PM
Yaaaaaaaaa! I'll be one of the 1,400 people there this Saturday for the special Disneyland event in front of the castle. All I know for sure is that it takes place at 4:30 a.m. in front of Sleeping Beauty Castle and will last until 10:30 a.m. We'll all get a commemorative t-shirt for this event, so that'll be really cool to have! I'm excited to be a part of (this) Disneyland history! :D

Photographer
07-16-2004, 05:33 AM
Now THAT's my kinda thinking! I love it. :cool:

AliciasMom
07-16-2004, 08:23 AM
I just submitted three adorable pictures of my daughter's first encounters with Goofy and Minnie. My friends have always said I should send those pictures to Disney as they are "perfect Disney advertising" according to them, and now here's my chance LOL. It would be awesome if one was chosen.

Hakuna Makarla
07-16-2004, 09:10 AM
Premiering on May 5, 2005 "The Happiest Homecoming on Earth," an extraordinary celebration of the 50th anniversary of Disneyland, will pay tribute to the millions of guests and cast members who have contributed to the rich legacy of "The Happiest Place on Earth" over the past five decades.

So tell me, I am planning another trip in May, will this be the super celebration for the 50th anniversary? I would like to be there during a large celebration and if this is the day then I will make reservations then.

rentayenta
07-16-2004, 09:22 AM
Karla, that is the first day of the celebration and as I learned earlier the celebration will last for 18 mos.

I am going to send in a few pics too. Over the years we have managed to acquire some awesome photos with the characters.

I have one that is framed in our Disney themed bathroom of my father and I from 30 years ago. I am sending in that one for sure!

Pammer
07-16-2004, 09:39 AM
Everyone is encouraged to submit their color or black and white photos beginning today 8:00am via information available at www.disneyland.com/photos.

I just tried to access this URL and got a system error that the page had been moved. Has anybody else had this problem? :confused:

DisneyDaniel
07-16-2004, 09:43 AM
Yes, you're right. A system error occurs on Disney's Web site. The URL for www.disneyland.com/photos as it appears in the Disneyland Resort's press release does not seem to be working.

AliciasMom
07-16-2004, 09:48 AM
That's odd because that's the link I used and I successfully uploaded my pictures.