PDA

View Full Version : Footware for grizzly river run

evilqueen69
07-15-2004, 02:51 PM
My family and I are going to DLR and DCA in August and we are wondering about the what precautions we could take for our footware for the grizzly river run. Should we wear aqua sox or will we be okay in our tennis shoes? I don't want to walk around for hours with soaking tennis shoes. I know this sounds silly but I really would like input from our experienced riders and readers. I know there are lockers around to placed items in, but again i don't want to have to carry another pair of shoes.

sediment
07-15-2004, 02:58 PM
Lockers are quite useful. $4 a day, all day. Electronic lock.
Plan:
1. Go to DL for a while.
2. On way to DCA, stop by the locker and replace shoes with flip-flops or old shoes.
3. Go on GRR, as well as anything else at DCA.
4. On way back to DL, switch footware again.

Merm8fan
07-15-2004, 03:03 PM
Why not have the best of both worlds, and avoid having a locker at all?

Wear Teva-type sandals, which are pretty darn comfortable and also do not stay wet.

BigAlH
07-15-2004, 03:08 PM
I got pretty soaked on the ride, but I don't recall my feet being completely wet (and I wear a size 15 shoe so there is plenty of area to get wet!).

Head into the store next to the ride and buy a DLand rain poncho and wrap around you feet if you are too concerned.

-al

CarlieB
07-15-2004, 03:12 PM
If there's enough room in your raft you can put your feet up in the middle - they may not get as damp if you do this (though I can't make any promises!)

Disney Vault
07-15-2004, 03:12 PM
Just put you feet up on the foot rest/ ledge thing and they wont get very wet. Just keep your feet of the ground on that ride and you will be fine.

Emma
07-15-2004, 05:37 PM
Just put you feet up on the foot rest/ ledge thing and they wont get very wet. Just keep your feet of the ground on that ride and you will be fine.

If there's enough room in your raft you can put your feet up in the middle - they may not get as damp if you do this (though I can't make any promises!)

Wouldn't count on this.... I would wear flip flops, or sandals that can get wet without being uncomfortable, or you might end up walking back to the hotel. Sometimes that ride has water that just comes over top of the raft, and it doesn't matter where your feet are.

Wouldn't wear anything denim either-- That gets really uncomfortable when it's wet. :)

missm
07-15-2004, 05:58 PM
I went on GRR a dozen times last March and put my feet up on the ledge and they never got wet. The rest of me was soaked but not my feet.

Pedro2NR
07-15-2004, 07:44 PM
You could always go to Target and purchase the rain panchos for 89 cents.

SCUBAbe
07-15-2004, 08:18 PM
wet shoes was never a problem. waiting for the denim shorts to dry was...:)

Dwagnfly
07-16-2004, 01:10 AM
Apparently there are water 'canons' or gysers that erupt intermittently along Grizzly River. Most riders get only moderately or even just a little wet. But other random rafts get hit by one of these gysers and the riders become completely drenched. My first and only time riding Grizzly River Run, I was 'lucky' enough to be hit by one of these huge gysers. My shoes felt surprisingly okay, it was the wet t-shirt look and completely soaked jeans and even my undergarments were soaked. My hair was drenched as well and the mascara did run too. What a sight. :rolleyes:

Luckily my hotel was right accross the street. (The Carousel Inn) and I walked back to my hotel and changed clothes. I changed socks as they were kind of wet but my tennis shoes were okay to put back on. My daughter had a fast pass for Tower of Terror and rode that while wet and then returned to our hotel to also change all of her clothes. There was no way I would have been comfortable to walk around the park after that.

I now would highly reccomend bringing one of those cheap rain panchos or even a garbage bag w/ a hole cut out and rolling up your pant legs or hey if you're daring, you could wear a swim suit. I only saw some girls w/ shorts and bikini tops but no full out swimsuits. A very few people would buy panchos at the local shop. Some people ride this ride over and over again and never get wet. It's all 'luck' or lack of it to get hit by one of these gysers.

If you stand at the bridge you can see the gysers shoot up. I would stand there and watch people float by for awhile so you can really see how random it is.

I am a woose by the way when it comes to fast rides and I would have really liked this one if it weren't for the soaking.

Anyway, those water shoes or even thongs sound like a good idea.

If you do opt for a locker, if it's anything like DL you'll need to rent one very early as those ones fill up quickly.

The ride is best in the heat of the day for obvious reasons(get a fast pass) or ride it just before leaving the park and going back to your hotel if you don't have the 'proper' attire and get all wet.

Photographer
07-16-2004, 05:28 AM
How about putting plastic baggies over your shoes? Easy to put on, take off and no need to change shoes.

rentayenta
07-16-2004, 06:49 AM
Tevas are the way to go. They dry quickly and are comfy like a sneaker. They support the foot well too. My feet have never ached after wearing Tevas.

Pammer
07-16-2004, 07:28 AM
You could always go to Target and purchase the rain panchos for 89 cents.

We buy ours at Dollar Tree ~ they are very lightweight (lighter than the Disney ponchos) and cheap: 2 ponchos for a buck! At that price, they become disposable.

My hubby and I enjoy riding GRR, and usually use the ponchos because we don't like to walk around all day soaking wet afterwards (especially since he always wears jeans to the parks!). And feet up or not, you can get soaked by the water coming up and over you! We didn't wear the ponchos on our last trip (in May when it was 104 degrees in Anaheim!), and were shocked to become completely drenched by the big geyser near the end of the ride (we always thought that since your raft goes right over it, that it was more for show than drenching). It was as if I had jumped into a swimming pool instead! Fortunately it was so hot that we took it all in stride, but it still took several hours for hubby's jeans to completely dry out. :eek:

I vote for ponchos if you don't want to risk complete drenching, at the risk of being called wimps by the other guests! :p The main thing is to enjoy yourself.

tod
07-16-2004, 08:23 AM
Lockers are quite useful. $4 a day, all day. Electronic lock.

There are lockers near the exit to Grizzly River Run that are FREE for something like two hours (just long enough to dry off).

--t

SCUBAbe
07-16-2004, 09:38 AM
about the ponchos. I only wear one if going on during the winter. It was the first winter the park was opened and it was raining. My child really wanted to ride it. So we got ponchos. I didn't want to be wetter and cold. However, during the summer the whole idea is to get wet. It's a water ride. When I go to any amusement park I wear water proof mascara. I learned the hard way...front seat of screamin in the rain..LOL...during the summer you are going to dry pretty fast. Now my parents who are in their mid 50's get really upset when we get wet. I have no idea why. They insist on buying us dry clothes everytime. I always refuse (they dry fast), but my daughter is all over that...LOL

sjcivilady
07-16-2004, 12:00 PM
We went last December, bought rain ponchos (was starting to rain, so thought we would need them anyway) - I didn't put the hood up, cause I thought, hey my hair would dry.......well, we got drenched by the geyser! and it went down my back and I got soaked even with the poncho ... lol...had fun anyway and I had a wet teeshirt for a long time. Don't remember my tennis shoes being wet, though, in answer to the original question. totally fun ride, don't miss it! the cheapie poncho idea is a good one if you're wearing clothes that won't dry quickly.

hbquikcomjamesl
07-16-2004, 03:13 PM
Go on a day when it's raining, but not especially cold. Wear a raincoat, a sou'wester, and rubber boots.