PDA

View Full Version : For Kids Over 30...

Merm8fan
07-15-2004, 08:48 AM
I have found threads and info on the website about DLR for kids, and even DLR for going solo. What I'm looking for are any tips, or "don't miss this" info for going to DLR without the kids.

I know there are numerous things that we skip all the time, because the youngsters simply won't have it! We do love the Lincoln show, and actually, the kids did, too. (6 year old nephew: "Did they cut my hair for real or fake?") But I am sure there are attractions, shows, locations, unadvertised spots, etc. that we have ignored and/or forgotten since the focus has been kid-centered.

I am really looking forward to the chance to have a unique visit. Any ideas or activities you other adults enjoy at the parks that I may not think of?

Thanks!

rentayenta
07-15-2004, 09:14 AM
I can't even remember DL before kids. It would be so much fun to go with just my hubby for a day.

The Blue Bayou- a nice romantic dinner.

I haven't been to any of them yet but I keep reading about a few nice restaurants in DCA that might be good.

I think any of the rides that you sit together would be fun. A little PDA never hurt anyone ;)

If you are staying at one of the DLR hotels a late night dip in the pool would be fun.

Just strolling around holding hands while shopping would be nice too.

Alf
07-15-2004, 12:32 PM
While I'm not over 40 (23 here) I go all the time... and while I am by no means grown up I dont consider my self a kid.

I would also suggest the Blue Beyou OR my girlfriend and I love going to some of the more grown up resturants in Down Town Disney. A nice well prepared dinner and a cocktail is really relaxing and fun after a long day at the park, then you can make your way at your own speed back to the park for the last rides of the day.

I also like taking a trip around the park on the rail road. On slow days its not to crowded and a good way to escape the foot traffic down in the park for a while.

And of course the riverboat is also a good way to unwind some times.

DL at night CAN BE a very romantic fun place for us big kids.

07-15-2004, 12:47 PM
People watching is good, especially if you get to eat ice cream during.

Shopping at New Orleans Square for jewelry is good, even very good.

A long, leisurely meal is always appreciated and quite difficult to do with kids.

As for PDA, ick. No. This is Disneyland! Is nothing sacred?

mystycalchyk
07-15-2004, 12:50 PM
Ahhhhhh *cracks knuckles* my area of expertise.

Im one of those weirdos that doesnt have kids but goes to Disneyland at least 2 or 3 times a year (and no I live no where near there). Hubby and I love it.

We are 34 and 37 respectively.

Things we love:

we love to try to 'do something new' every time we go. That something new may be as simple as eating in a different restaraunt to taking the time to do an attraction we normally dont. One time we even managed to book reservations for club 33...definately a plus.

we love to book the Fantasmic balcony seating. Its a decadent way to end the evening with the best view IMO of Fantasmic.

we love to watch the swing dancers.....I doubt kids would want to sit as long as we do and just soak up the vibe.

One day, on our last trip, we were there for 10 days so had tons of time...we just sat on the front porch of the one place on Main Street and just people watched for a couple of hours. Another great people watching place is in New Orleans square...grab some lunch and sit down to watch the various performers (tap dancing, bands)and people.

We always take one evening for dinner time and go to the Blue Bayou (wait for a table by the water), its nice and romantic.

Also in NOS, in the gallery above POTC, there's a tour you can take. its not publicised or anything, just go up there and ask one of the cast members for a tour.....it was originally built to be an apartment for Walt and they show you where the kids rooms are, his bedroom, dining room etc etc. Just a nice thing to see.

At DCA some things we enjoy, that Im wondering if others find lame...we like the Tortilla factory tour (and the warm tortilla at the end) and the sourdough factory tour (we usually hit these around dinner time so that by the time we come out from the sourdough factory tour we are ready to eat a bowl of soup in a sourdough bowl.) <-- yeah we go alot in the wintertime ;)

Also in DCA (I dont know if its still there , the last time I went was at New Years) but theres a really really great comedy act. Reallyhilarious. We watched at least 4 shows last time. It's all adlibbed and made up on the spot (think Drew Carey), it's on the backlot. Very cool show IMO

We just like to takeour time and enjoy it....no rushing around...just enjoy

Pammer
07-15-2004, 01:17 PM
Im one of those weirdos that doesnt have kids but goes to Disneyland at least 2 or 3 times a year (and no I live no where near there). Hubby and I love it.

One time we even managed to book reservations for club 33...definately a plus.

At DCA some things we enjoy, that Im wondering if others find lame...we like the Tortilla factory tour (and the warm tortilla at the end) and the sourdough factory tour (we usually hit these around dinner time so that by the time we come out from the sourdough factory tour we are ready to eat a bowl of soup in a sourdough bowl.) <-- yeah we go alot in the wintertime ;)

We just like to takeour time and enjoy it....no rushing around...just enjoy

Well said! My hubby and I have been married nearly 20 years, no children, and LOVE the DLR too! We now try to visit 2-4 times per year, unless it's a year that we go to WDW instead (have to save up the vacation time accordingly!). We love the food tours at DCA as well, for the same reasons you mention (hubby loves the vegetarian chili at the Pacific Wharf cafe). That being said...

How did you manage to get reservations for Club 33? :confused:

Alf
07-15-2004, 01:28 PM
dont count me out!! I'm a weirdo with no kids that hearts DL!! and goes AT least once a year!! ;)

mystycalchyk
07-15-2004, 01:29 PM
How did you manage to get reservations for Club 33? :confused:

:fez: :fez: :fez: :fez: Well it was a coup fo' sho! In a nutshell a friend of mine works for a man whose cousin works for a company who has a corporate membership. Talk about going the round-a-bout way ;) We had tried for 5 years to get in...finally we did (not this last Christmas but the one before.) I ask him everytme we go. Usually a few months in advance. If he can he can if he cant he cant. So far its been once in almost 7 years (which was worth the wait) :fez: :fez: :fez: :fez:

Pammer
07-15-2004, 01:32 PM
What an achievement - I guess it's true about who you know... ;)

rentayenta
07-15-2004, 09:15 PM
As for PDA, ick. No. This is Disneyland! Is nothing sacred?

PDA as in little bits of affection, not going at it in POTC
;)

Photographer
07-16-2004, 05:51 AM
I have yet to just sit at the bar beside Ariel's Grotto. That's on my To DO LIST for this trip. I don't drink but I'm sure they serve Shirley Temples. LOL

You may want to do that.

CoasterChickie
07-18-2004, 08:39 AM
[QUOTE=3894

Shopping at New Orleans Square for jewelry is good, even very good.

[/QUOTE]

Hi 3894
I love all your witty remarks especially when it comes to fashion (and you do indeed look like MaryPoppins/Julie Andrews)!

Do you know the name of that jewelry store in New Orleans Square? It is tucked away pretty well so I just discovered it on my last trip (the colored gemstones...they called to me!) Anyways...I think Javanod needs to see that store on our next trip...in fact all the husbands/boyfriends need to go in there! ;)

Merm8fan
08-03-2004, 06:56 PM
Just completed a last-minute, grown-ups only visit to the resort this past weekend. I love that most of the above responses were romantic or involved shopping... you guys all have your hearts in the right place! However, it was a "girl's weekend out" with my 67-year-old mom and I, and so we skipped the romance. We did, however shop, shop, shop and had a blast.

Positives (and/or things we don't usually do with the kids along):

1) Mom rocks - we hit the ToT three times in one day. Neither of us had been on it before and we give it a big thumbs up! Other rides I'm proud of Mom for still braving: California Screamin', Matterhorn, Splash Mountain, and Indiana Jones.

2) Mom used to rock - we watched the "Swing" bands both Friday and Saturday nights, and she reminisced about "be-bopping," as they called it, back when she was a teenager. Good times.

3) Tiki Room and Dole Whip - just before the refurb closure.

4) Great Moments w/ Lincoln - Love the "surround" sound, which we were told by the hostess may be on the chopping block after the 50th special program there next year.

5) Downtown Disney - sweet sale at Dept. 56, Dickens Village Retired pieces at 30% off!

6) Who Wants to be a Millionaire? - Apparently we aren't the sharpest sticks in the wood, but we enjoyed our disgrace nonetheless.

Negatives:

1) Castle was partially tarped on Friday afternoon, and totally covered by that evening.

2) BTMRR still down, even though the ticket booth in DTD (by the monorail) did not have it posted as closed.

3) Sunday, Monorail Blue had "minor technical diffculties" and we stopped for a few overheated minutes over the backstage area of DCA, and then it was taken offline, leaving only Monorail Red up and running. We were stopped on a slant, and were discussing the recent thread about evacuating the monorail. It would have been interesting, to say the least. (Blue was back online later in the day.)

4) Saturday at DCA - planned it out to get a FP for GRR in order to cool off mid-day. Bad move, as it went down and never went back up that day (unless it was really later, after dark.) Shrugged our shoulders, went over to ride CA Screamin'... you guessed it, "minor technical difficulties."

All things considered, we had a great time, and we are pretty patient about ride closures. We have AP's and haven't been able to get down since March, so we were just happy to be able to be there. DL just has some magic about it, and we soaked it up.

Hooray for DL and DCA!!

Tutter
08-04-2004, 02:34 AM
I'd say don't forget about the Disney Gallery where you can look at paintings etc - located up the stairs above Pirates of the Carribean.

Surfingstitch
08-04-2004, 02:47 PM
I have never travel to DL with kids.

Maybe it would be a little different.

I am currently 23yrs old.