PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't the TOT attracting very many people?

Pages : [1] 2

splashmtngurl
07-13-2004, 04:55 PM
I have heard this subject come up alot and i just wanted to ask, why isnt the tower of terror attracting very many people? When i was there in may it had only just opened and there wasnt the least bit of a line. The only excuse i can think of for people not riding the attraction as much as expected is because people rode it alot in disneyworld! this doesnt seem quite right though, do any of you know what the deal is? i mean considering that its a new attraction shouldnt it be bringing in a lot more people then it is?

Subsonic
07-13-2004, 05:15 PM
My speculation? I don't think it has to do with TOT. I find TOT a great ride. I think it still has to do with DCA being a mediocre park. It wasn't crowded before TOT and adding a single ride, no matter how good, still doesn't justify paying full price for a park that's only half a day visit.

David R
07-13-2004, 05:24 PM
Plus a lot of people have already ridden it at WDW so there is not a sense of urgency to experience it.

scaeagles
07-13-2004, 05:38 PM
My take? No reason to ride it more than a couple of times.

I like the ride. Rode it twice on my recent trip. Surprisingly, my 10 year old daughter wouldn't ride it. However, the only ride I see worth riding more than a couple of times at DCA is GRR, because there can be a wide variety of things that happen, and I think it's cool that you sit face to face with people during the ride and have interaction with them, adding more variety to it.

My daughter wants to ride every ride she likes about 30 times each. This is fine, and I do that with her, but it's not my idea of the best time.

Soarin is a great experience. Always the same, though. No reason to ride it more than once or twice on my annual or semiannual trips. Same with TOT - it doesn't change. The effects are cool, but they aren't something that makes me want to repeat and repeat and repeat.

I thought I heard somewhere that the drop sequence was supposed to be random? I think if that does happen, there will be more of a crowd on a regular basis.

I think Buzz Lightyear will be a ride that always has a crowd. Why? Because there will be a wide degree of variance to it.

I think it is a bit deceiving with the fast passes out there. How many people would be waiting in line if they didn't have fastpasses for later? I think the fastpasses give the impression that not many people are riding it.

Plus, it isn't very long. Splash Mountain runs 90 minutes in the afternoon even with the fastpasses out there. It's a very long ride and I think the best done ride at the resort.

So - length, no need to repeat, and fastpasses which give an appearance that it's not that popular - those are the reasons as I see it.

CaptJackZodiac
07-13-2004, 08:36 PM
As great as ToT is, it's an also-ran. It's not new, it's recycled from WDW. As David R mentioned, many people have already ridden it there.

merlinjones
07-13-2004, 09:37 PM
1) No one really WANTS to go to DCA (especially to pay for it), and ToT just isn't good enough reason.

2) A lot of people have seen it at WDW. And this one is not superior.

3) Drop rides are ten years past their heyday as a novelty. People like 'em but they aren't a fresh draw.

4) A Tower with a burning hole in the side is a clearly unpleasant subconscious image post 9-11. Not an escapist relaxation draw.

5) Disney is paying the piper for disappointing people too many times with Tomorrowland, Pooh, DCA, etc. etc. The trust/wow factor isn't there.

6) Resort is too expensive - - people are getting used to discounting.

7) ToT is not the kind of repeatable escapist immersion experience that Pirates or Mansion is. It's just a tarted-up thrill ride.

Queenie
07-14-2004, 06:58 AM
I'm really surprised to hear you say that the tower is not an immersive ride. I've only experienced the Florida version and there it most certainly is a very immersive and consistently popular ride. The theming really pulls you into the story of the hotel, starting on the plaza outside the hotel, through the abandoned gardens, the decaying lobby, the library spiel, the hotel basement. Heck, by the time you actually get on the elevator, you're half convinced you're going to die, even if you've done the ride before. I'd ordinarily not go on a drop ride but the tower's theming pulls me in.

Darkbeer
07-14-2004, 07:01 AM
My Humble Opinion...

Disney has pushed the 2 fer tickets for most of 2003 and early 2004 (it was offered 13 months out of the 16 month period from Jan 2003 to April 2004). This got the locals to expect to get into DCA for free, and are not willing to pay the current prices for DCA, especially when parks like Knott's are offering $26 dollar admission...

ToT is not a ride that screams for repeat rides.... The new Revenge of the Mummy at USH is getting a lot of repeat riders

ToT is a 10 year old ride, and many folks won't ride it.....( Same group that won't ride Maliboomer)

ppmuse
07-14-2004, 07:52 AM
My step dad, a thrill seeker, went on this ride last week and was really disappointed. So disappointed that he was going to skip it at WDW, he leaves on Saturday. I told him that it was way better at WDW. He told me that at Disneyland, he would only go on it once or twice, and that's only if he has a fast pass for it. He said it wasn't worth the wait.

That, coming from a guy whose never ridden the one at WDW. As for me, whose only been on the one at WDW, I have no great thrill about going on the one at Disneyland. It seems like a lot of empty space for a ride that is only half of what it could be. People just aren't excited about it. And when people aren't excited about it, they don't go on it.

Pammer
07-14-2004, 08:44 AM
People just aren't excited about it. And when people aren't excited about it, they don't go on it.

My hubby and I were at the DLR May 1-5; we were able to ride ToT 4 times and really enjoyed it! We also have ridden the WDW version numerous times over the past 10 years and enjoy it as well. They each have their pros and cons (we think the DCA version is smoother), but the differences keep the DCA attraction from being a total clone of the WDW version. We will continue to ride both as often as we can! (Next DLR trip begins October 30!)

I guess I'm just not as opinionated as some of the posters here (no offense ~ I enjoy reading them all)! :D

fjhuerta
07-14-2004, 09:33 AM
I rode the ToT at WDW last February. I was absolutely blown away by it. It was the ride that made me believe the trip was worth it.

Why was that?

The Fifth Dimension room... and the Tower itself.

From the description of ECA's Tower, I have no intention of visiting it. I already rode the superior ride. What is interesting is, I prefer DL to WDW by a wide margin. But ECA is merely frosting on the cake - I'd go there to ride Soarin', Screamin', and that's it. The rest of the rides can be found somewhere else, for far less money, or with better looks / special effects.

Disney shot itself in the foot by creating a cheap park with cheap attractions when people were expecting DisneySeas, I guess.

sediment
07-14-2004, 10:11 AM
Come on now. If it were a walk-on, you'd probably ride it.

merlinjones
07-14-2004, 10:26 AM
>>I'm really surprised to hear you say that the tower is not an immersive ride. I've only experienced the Florida version and there it most certainly is a very immersive and consistently popular ride. The theming really pulls you into the story of the hotel, starting on the plaza outside the hotel, through the abandoned gardens, the decaying lobby, the library spiel, the hotel basement. Heck, by the time you actually get on the elevator, you're half convinced you're going to die, even if you've done the ride before. I'd ordinarily not go on a drop ride but the tower's theming pulls me in.<<

Sure, it does have those elements, but at Dl they are "lite" - - the largest themed space is simply a boiler room. Even with the theming it has (which surpasses anything else at DCA), it's not Pirates or Mansion - - or Spider-Man - - gosh, I wish Disney would do something that ambitious!

Queenie
07-14-2004, 10:38 AM
>>
Sure, it does have those elements, but at Dl they are "lite" - - the largest themed space is simply a boiler room. Even with the theming it has (which surpasses anything else at DCA), it's not Pirates or Mansion - - or Spider-Man - - gosh, I wish Disney would do something that ambitious!

Am I mistaken in thinking that the queue areas are identical in Florida and California? I was under the impression that the only real difference in the ride experiences was in the lack of the sideways sequence through the 5th dimension.

blusilva
07-14-2004, 10:54 AM
merlinjones said:
A Tower with a burning hole in the side is a clearly unpleasant subconscious image post 9-11. Not an escapist relaxation draw.

I know this discussion has happened here, with "get over it" being the overall theme. But I really don't think that this element can be discounted. It's just distasteful.

I mean, I might have been dragged on it pre-9/11. I'm not a fan of drop rides, I have nightmares about out-of-control elevators, and other than the Twilight Zone theming, there's nothing at all appealing about it to me. But, there's a slim chance I may have been convinced. However, post-9/11, I really have a stomach-churning aversion to going anywhere near a ride that simulates a tragically destroyed building and the people who died within. *shudder*

merlinjones
07-14-2004, 12:25 PM
>>Am I mistaken in thinking that the queue areas are identical in Florida and California? I was under the impression that the only real difference in the ride experiences was in the lack of the sideways sequence through the 5th dimension.<<

My memory of WDW is of a much more elaborate ToT grounds, queue and lobby in size and scope, but that could be wrong. I did miss the Fifth Dimension room and forward movement - - it was a great surprise element. Still a fun ride at DCA, just not a breakthrough...

splashmtngurl
07-14-2004, 01:48 PM
I suppose you are all right...about DW being the superior TOT. I have been there twice and rode the TOT there several times and as much as i liked the fifth demention room i didnt really see that its abscence in the California version was that noticable. it didnt take a whole lot from the expierience for me. I just figured that a new ride, one being as interesting as it is, would gather alot of people.....but of course i suppose no rides will bring in alot of people untill they are rides that people have never been on before. I am looking forward to a new e-ticket ride in DCA very soon, it should add to the expierience.

Thanks for answering my questions everyone. As many of you may know, i am writing an article for a local entertainment w/ kids magazine and the article is about DCA and DL and what is going wrong with it, why people are complaining, what can be done to fix it up ETC. this was a crucial part in my article, DCA and its works and i am glad that all of you gave me such detailed opinions. I look forward to adding some of these ideas and propositions to the article and the best part? the editor said that if its heartfelt and detailed enough he would try to make a deal with DISNEY magazine to get the article in the fall or winter of 2005. Anyway....(lol) thanks for giving me your opinions it has given me alot of inspiration for the DCA portion of my article. I will probably be posting some more questions throughout this board in the future to help me with the article. if you think there is anything i should mention let me know! thanks!

Hayley

iwannabeanimagineer
07-14-2004, 03:54 PM
However, post-9/11, I really have a stomach-churning aversion to going anywhere near a ride that simulates a tragically destroyed building and the people who died within. *shudder*
To people who have not experienced the attraction, the building does not appear to be destroyed, only damaged or neglected and they would have no familiarity with any characters affected by the events leading to the damage and neglect. To those who have experienced it, they will have seen the library footage of the tower in its entirety, so they know the building also appears to be missing some bits. They will also be aware that the missing bits of building and the subject characters were transported to the Twilight Zone, not destroyed or killed. They will also be aware that the damage and neglect are due to supernatural forces, not a deliberate human act. So I think the intellectual or logical link between ToT and 9/11 is extremely slim.

Nevertheless, I am sure that a significant number of people, possibly including blusilva, are affected by emotional links between the two, which is unfortunate. That this produces a feeling of distaste in those individuals is understandable. However, I don't think opening and operating the ToT reflects any insenstivity or exploitation on Disney's part, nor does enjoying the ToT reflect any insensitivity on the part of those who do so.

fjhuerta
07-14-2004, 04:21 PM
Come on now. If it were a walk-on, you'd probably ride it.
Sure! But I'd do the same with lots of Six Flags, Knotts, USH, and other attractions.

I'd do a 2 hour queue to go on the Pirates.

That's the difference between a classic and a "just good enough" attraction, IMHO.

Disneyfreak
07-14-2004, 04:25 PM
The truth is that they went way too cheap and gave us a junk version of Floridas TOT. It also is not nearly original as Indiana Jones is as far as the ride goes. TOT you know what is going to happen, but tell me everyone, did you know exactly what was going to happen on Indiana Jones the first time you went on it? I knew exactly what was going to happen on TOT so to me it was stupid. What really prooved that it was a waste of money. Another thing was the fact it was only like 2:00 min long when Indy is like 4 min long not including the queue which is superior by leaps and bounds on Indy. If you make anything like Indy which is super original, then there will be 4 hour waits. I waited 6 hours for Indy the first time and I have never waited that long or will wait that for TOT. I thought that 6 hour wait was worth it on Indy.

sediment
07-14-2004, 04:59 PM
Sure! But I'd do the same with lots of Six Flags, Knotts, USH, and other attractions.

I'd do a 2 hour queue to go on the Pirates.

That's the difference between a classic and a "just good enough" attraction, IMHO.
For each person, each attraction has a break-even wait time. For ToT, it's longer than 0.
I only state this because you wrote that you wouldn't go on it. But, you haven't seen the line for it yet. Surely you'd make your decision when you've seen the line, not now, without such information. I'm thinking you'd go on it with a 10-minute wait. Maybe a bit longer. Depends on when the next Alladdin show starts.
I've been on it once. Waited about 45 minutes standby (no FastPasses left when I got there). Certainly, I don't have to wait that long again, but it had been a while since I'd been on the WDW version.

merlinjones
07-14-2004, 05:11 PM
>>To people who have not experienced the attraction, the building does not appear to be destroyed, only damaged or neglected and they would have no familiarity with any characters affected by the events leading to the damage and neglect. <<

Apparrently you haven't actually seen the building. It's not just "abandoned" or in "disrepair," there is a literal burned-out hole in the side/center of the Tower facade, just like you-know-what before it fell. It's sickening if you actually look at it and think about what you are seeing... not at all like the Haunted Mansion, where the outside is kept up and the ghosts take care of the inside...

Surely such an indelible imprint as a flaming, collapsing tower on the mind raises instincts that compare images and send a signal to avoid this similar visual cue, or least do not associate it with pleasure, escape and relaxation and spending 60 hard-earned bucks...

sediment
07-14-2004, 05:23 PM
Merle, your imagination is going wild. Tame that beast! It's that kind of thinking that resulted in SSL.

iwannabeanimagineer
07-14-2004, 05:30 PM
Apparrently you haven't actually seen the building. It's not just "abandoned" or in "disrepair," there is a literal burned-out hole in the side/center of the Tower facade, just like you-know-what before it fell. It's sickening if you actually look at it and think about what you are seeing.
I have seen it numerous times and, as I said earlier, it looks damaged and neglected. It does not resemble the World Trade Center to me.

Surely such an indelible imprint as a flaming, collapsing tower on the mind raises instincts that compare images and send a signal to avoid this similar visual cue, or least do not associate it with pleasure, escape and relaxation and spending 60 hard-earned bucks...
As I said earlier, I don't dispute that some people have a negative emotional reaction to ToT. But that reaction is not based on any rational thought, nor is it very widespread. ToT has no flame or smoke visible on the exterior, but supernatural-looking scorch marks as if struck by lightning. ToT does not appear to be about to collapse, only damaged. I do associate it with pleasure, escape and relaxation because it appears to be a place of adventure and thrills.

Disney Vault
07-14-2004, 05:44 PM
I dont think it is anything to get upset about. I am sick of disney careing about everyones feekings so much. They had to get rid of some crows in SM becuase ppl were offended, then they had to change PotC because the pirates chasing women made people mad. I dont know what is happening to the world. Now people arent even suppose to say Merry Christmas to co-workers because it could upset other people who hear it who dont celebrate it. I can hear John Stossel "Give me a break!"