PDA

View Full Version : Theme for a new park

ppmuse
07-12-2004, 03:24 PM
Alrighty guys, I've been reading non-stop about how awful DCA is and it's a bad idea to put a California based park into the state of California. So if you thought it was such a bad idea, what theme for a Disney-based park would you like to see? I have two ideas:

1) Instead of a California based park, why not a USA park? This gives the ability to put California based rides in, as well as other states. There's gotta be some great historical rides, as well as rides that are educational. A broader base can bring more rides.

2) I've been working on this idea for some time "Disney's Good vs Evil Theme Park." The theme park is split in half with the Beauty and the Beast castle in the middle. From the "Good side", rides dedicated to the good guys in Disney movies. I'm thinking a flying coaster through Neverland, Gummy Bear tunnels (with the Gummy Bear shows playing in the line), flying around with the albatross from The Rescuers, and possibly even that Emperors New Groove idea would fit in. From this side, there would be trees, color, and a "happy" atmosphere. As well as from this side, the Beauty Castle would look beautiful in all it's splendor. On the opposite side of the park (aka "Evil side") rides dedicated to the villains, like chasing Cruella De Ville in a fast chase, a tour through Ursula's cavern (ending with a huge Ursual trying to swat you), and of course following the evil Queen through her transformation and race through the woods to the seven dwarfs house. This side of the park would be dead, trees with no leaves, steam coming from the ground, and of course, the villain shops. From this vantage point, the Beauty castle would be surrounded by rose vines with sharp points, and have a dark appeal to it. Of course, this would be a park dedicated to thrill seekers and teenagers, not much for young kids, which is the big complaint I see on these boards. I just thought it was a cool idea (10 years in the making).

So what's your ideas?

Alf
07-12-2004, 03:35 PM
Gimmie Disney Sea!

The good and evil idea sounds cool! I worry that some of the themes are too close to what is already in Fantasy land..except for grown ups. I think they need a park thats not really based on movies! Original filled with imagination!

splashmtngurl
07-12-2004, 03:43 PM
personally i dont think the idea for DCA was a bad idea. A while back i read a article on miceage and it talked about how imagineers had these huge, elaborate plans for DCA and it was supposed to be really neat, better then epcot perhaps. Of course at that time paul pressler was in charge of the idea and he limited what they could do, he claimed that it was a money issue but the people who wrote the article seemed to think that paul didnt want to have pressure to attend the park (seeing as he never did with DL) so only the base ideas were put into DCA, only half of the ride idea's were used and the landscaping limited. Now, with paul pressler out of the way i believe DCA may have a little more room to grow. i mean they already have put in TOT in the hollywood backlots area and matt is planning on removing the superstar limo and replacing it with a really good e-ticket ride. not to mention that he is also spending 50 million on extending the monarail and remodeling its vehicles. I believe that if everyone would give the park a chance they will see it grow in the next few years. Matt seems to be taking a path similar to that of walt and i believe both parks (DCA and DL) will improve in the future....it would be nice to see a disney sea go in somewhere but in order for that to happen disney will need to have more land... ;)

sediment
07-12-2004, 05:10 PM
I have stated previously that a good way to "fix" the California theme is to make the whole park a satirical view of California and Californians. Think Jungle Cruise (which makes fun of the seriousness of the original Jungle Cruise guides) on a whole park scale.
I think that tourists will like it (believe it or not, non-Californians like to make fun of us! Green is not their favorite color, though), and I think many Californians will be able to take a joke. (Believe it or not, many non-Californians cannot take a joke. Especially from a Californian.)

Forbin
07-12-2004, 05:11 PM
make the whole park a satirical view of California and Californians
Wasn't that what Superstar Limo and Mullholland Madness was supposed to be?

sediment
07-12-2004, 05:18 PM
Lame-o started out to be a clever idea. Too bad someone thought that Lady Di was important. As an ode to Di, the Lame-o could have run down some of the paprazzi. Blood flying, guts on the windshield.
I'd switch Madness it to San Francisco Twisted Trolleys. Make the cars look like trolleys. Go down Lombard street. Oh the madness, er, twistedness!

Pilot Mickey
07-12-2004, 06:10 PM
a little off subject, i got this point from off the Tommorowland DVD and i have said it before, the main problem with disney in general right now is they have lost what walt disney was about. Walt asked Roy to build the matterhorn, subs, and others, i think, but roy said it would cost to much money. Roy had to go do something and left town, and behind roy's back walt oked his plans, so to make a long story short, in someways the more money you spend the more money you'll get, and the less money u spend the less money you'll get, the latter will always be true in theme parks, but the first will only be true most of the time. The Disney Company is just sticking by the fact that we need to save money for the future, but what they don't relize is that the more they save and built for the future the more they lose and have to pay for it with the saved money. To fix the situation, i think disney should try spending more money, people will respond to that and start going to the parks. Sorry to you who already know this, i just needed to get it off my chest. ;) if u want you can correct my opinion if it doesn't sound right in anyway :cool:

disneygeek87
07-12-2004, 07:41 PM
I like ppmuse's idea of good vs. evil is a good one for a new park, but I still feel that more money needs to be invested in the parks to bring them up to their true Disney potential. Once you've perfected the 2 parks you have now, then go ahead and make a third one.

splashmtngurl
07-13-2004, 04:53 PM
Vote_stomper,

i totally agree with you! I have seen this in DL for a long time. If you think about it walt used to build rides without worrying about the expenses to much. once the ride was built then he got down to the bills. I wish they would do that a little more now....it seems like they need more then one new attraction. like i have said before this new guy, matt seems to be doing alot with the park, more like walt i would say!

Pilot Mickey
07-13-2004, 05:02 PM
someone needs to force michael esiner to watch every tape that everyone can find of walt disney talking about his plans for disneyland and the disney company, then may be we'd like him, if he's brainwashed to think like walt. :p but it'd be easer just to find someone who already thinks like walt, sorry to be off subject :geek: <----me

splashmtngurl
07-14-2004, 01:53 PM
I CANT STAND MICHEAL EISNER! lol....never mention him to me again.....j/k but really, he bugs me...i mean have you ever seen him in the parks just walking around like walt used to do? rarely! Do you ever see him out writing articles, giving interviews telling us whats going on? not really.....he just isnt like walt and i think someone needs to be put in that position that can really handel the company. I mean someone who cares about disney and its works, someone who cares about the people involved in the company....someone who will follow more in the wake of walt. I mean sure, maybe walt had his bad side but he did his best not show it. Untill eisner is out of the company i dont think it will have the best of luck.....i see hard times ahead with him as president of the company. i have never liked eisner and i never will.............he reminds me of an old neighbor i had once......but we dont want to go there...heehee!

jrad32
07-14-2004, 02:39 PM
The good vs. evil is a really good idea, although I'd rename it Disney's Heros and Villians.

I don't know if you'd want one side good and one side evil, because you might want to incorporate both sets of characters into attractions. Off the top of my head here are some suggestions for lands, borrowing from what many have suggested before.

Olympus - Home of the Gods. We'd see Hercules and Hades featured prominently in this land with Mount Olympus being the focal point. The mountain would contain Journey to Olympus, a ride using the technology and style of Disney Seas Journey to the Center of the Earth. There would also be a scary boat dark ride to the underworld featuring Hades, the River Styx and Charron. Also you could place a Sinbad ride (like Disney seas). Also a hedge maze themed to Jason and the Argonauts hunt for the Golden Fleece. Also there would be a Dumbo-like spinner featuring Pegusus.

Neverland - Themed to Peter Pan this area would include a lot of water features and Capt. Hook's ship would be moored here. I'd envision this something like Tom Sawyers Island. You could tour through the ship. There would also be a large playground area based on the Lost Boys tree, and the environs of Neverland. I'd put a nice sit down restaurant here, maybe in one level of Hook's ship.

Tall Tales - These are the mythic heros of America, Paul Bunyan, Johnny Appleseed, Pecos Bill, John Henry and Icabod Crane. This is a rustic, Frontierland like area featuring these characters. There is Pirate scale dark ride here featuring the Headless Horseman, a great villian. Also a Paul Bunyan themed flume ride.

Villian Mountain - This is where we have the rest of the villians that everyone loves. The big hitters like the evil sorcerous from Sleeping Beauty, Ursala, Cruella etc. The Mountain has a walk through cave area like Disneyland Paris featurning the dragon from Sleeping Beauty. Inside the mountain we have a sub-like ride, but pumped up to E-ticket levels featuring Ursala and to a lesser extent the rest of the Little mermaid cast. Finally this is also the site of the Cave of Wonders, using the hanging technology they tried out on Peter Pan recently, we race along an overhead track through the cave of wonders avoiding Iago and Jafar.

Camelot - This would be based on the Arthurian legends (the one with magic) not the new Disney version in theaters now. We'd have stuff from the sword and the stone with Newt and Merlin etc. There would be a jousting arena here with jousting shows. Also a spiderman-like ride technology taking you on a search for the holy grail. This is also where we would have meet and greet for the Princesses.

Old West - Home of Zorro! This is where Merlin Jones gets his Zorro's Black Whip coaster. And we also have the Zorro stunt show featuring Zorro clobbering the Spainish soldiers.

Parades - There would be two parades one featuring heros and one villians

Just some ideas. What would you guys have in the Heros and Villians park?

Robert3377
07-17-2004, 11:53 AM
For a third Disney theme park in California, i would put in Wescot, a west coast version of epcot. It would only be made up of original rides. The Entire park would be a Gient Future world with all of these attractions:

Spacestation Earth (the same as spaceship earth with a diffrent name)
Universe of energy (with or without Ellen and Bill Nye?)
Journey Into Imagination (The original ride with Figment and Dream finder)
Imagineworks (the original version)
Captian EO and Magic Journeys (Switching from time to time)
The Living Seas (With the the Submarine Voyage)
The Land (With Kitchen Kaberat)
Commincore (East would be same with the original Adventure through Inner Space and the west would be the same with a Tron themed ride
Wonders of Life (with everything)
Horrizons (the original ride, NOT Mission Space)
The World Of Motion (both the original ride and Test Track, plus the original show area

With these rides and shows, Disneyland would be a succsess. If you want to see this happen, please sign my petention at this link
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/1234zz5/petition.html

Disney Vault
07-17-2004, 01:07 PM
I do not want westcot. Why would people ever go to DLr if they can go to WDW when it would have the same stuff but more. DLr need to have new things and new concepts to draw in the ppl would would normaly just go to WDW.

P.S. When you say with completely original rides; original is suppose to mean new and never something like it before not old rides.

SiCo
07-17-2004, 01:58 PM
Gimmie Disney Sea!

A modified version of this park (which is an amazingly atmospheric park) would fit nicely over DCA ;) Simply close the park and 'rehab' it. Big scaffolding towers and painted walls, no one would ever notice. . . :p

Both Disney Sea and the heros and villains ideas are excellent ones, in fact the two could be semi combined.

Disney Vault
07-17-2004, 02:34 PM
I am kind of glad DCA didnt do well right off the bat becuase then they may have already begun building another park in that space and i would rather wait ofr new managment to take over so it can be donw right. I dont want them to touch that land until they know they can do a great park.

sleepyjeff
07-17-2004, 07:46 PM
I don't think they really need another new Park....heck, they really didn't need DCA. Most of what is good in DCA could have been put into Disneyland. And if you count all the attractions that have been eighty sixed since a few years before dca broke ground, you almost have a whole park right there.

Tahitian Terrace, Swiss Family Treehouse, Country Bear Jamboree, Mike Fink Keel Boats, Skyway, Fantasyland Autopia, Motorboat Cruise, Videopolis, Submarine Voyage, PeopleMover, CircleVision, Captian EO, Mission To Mars....add DCAs best 4 attractions and you have yourself a Park superior to what DCA is now.

I would much rather see Disneyland "Plussed" to the Max before any thoughts of building Park number 3(or what I like to call a second money vortex) are taken to the next level :)

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
07-17-2004, 09:05 PM
I like the good versus evil idea, a lot!

I just don't understand why money is ever an issue with Disney. I mean for crying out loud I doubt any bank would turn them down! Can't they get a loan make the rides and pay it off later. I mean it isn't like they aren't good for it!

Disney Vault
07-17-2004, 11:07 PM
They dont even need a loan. They have their own money to spend. I just dont understand them either.

iAmJacksDLand
07-18-2004, 08:59 PM
I'd like to see a well-themed water park - on caliber with Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard beach, but original!

Anaheim could use something a little bit different to vary the atmosphere. :fez:

Disney Vault
07-18-2004, 09:15 PM
I also want a water park but i dont want it on that big piece of land. A water park can be put somewhere else very close by but not on the strawberry fields.