PDA

View Full Version : Carousel Inn or Portofino?

Silvrezs
07-12-2004, 02:01 PM
We are going in August for 4 nights with our two sons (7 and 4 years). I am trying to decide on the Portofino with the kids suite and the long walk or the Carousel Inn across the street with a smaller room. Any thoughts?

termoo
07-12-2004, 04:44 PM
There are suites at Carousel Inn, too, if you're interested. Just call the hotel directly to reserve them. The walk to the Portofino isn't TOO bad--about the equivalent of two blocks. I haven't stayed there, so I can't tell you about the rooms, but I have read mixed reviews of the place.

I have stayed at the Carousel, and it's perfectly fine. The location is great for walking, and it's next door to a McDonald's, too, which is nice when you have little kids and need a quick bite for lunch before naptime. The hotel also has a continental breakfast every morning; I'm not sure if Portofino does. Here's a map of where things are that might help you get your bearings:

http://www.accommodationsneardisney.com/Default.asp

I'd also check out mouseplanet's reviews and tripadvisor.com, if you haven't already, for reviews of both hotels.

Hakuna Makarla
07-12-2004, 07:08 PM
I am going in August to, but you will probably be there before me. we will be there the 24th thru the 28th then go to San diego. If you stay there please post a review for us so others will have useful info. When I go I plan on doing a review of my trip,posting about the motel and foods I have and such. From a newby prospective :)
Please, let us know where you have stayed and how it was ok. Have a wonderful trip **Karla

heidiwhr
07-13-2004, 04:46 AM
We stayed at the Portofino 4/30 - 5/3. It was ok, but not spectacular. i've posted a review in the DL hotel review section:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/display.cgi?product-sku=dlrportofinohotel

I think for the money, you can find a much better place to stay - especially if you will not have a car. You might considder all the wonderful reviews the HoJo gets from this group. I think that will be the next hotel at DL I try.

Above all, have fun on your trip!

radrfan
07-14-2004, 01:59 PM
We have stayed at both of those hotels in addition to the Park Inn and Suites next door to the Carousel. I would recommend either the Carousel or the Park Inn due to their proximity (right across the street) and the price. The Portofino is overpriced in my opinion.

Silvrezs
07-15-2004, 10:18 AM
Thank you for all the input. I think we are going to try the Carousel for the location, price and continental breakfast. I'll post my review after our trip-

Dwagnfly
07-16-2004, 01:54 AM
We just stayed at the Carousel Inn this week. I posted my review just this evening. We found the lowest rates for the Carousel at AREStravel.com. It was 64. per night. The rate was actually 59 per night and they charged a 5.00 booking fee. I could not get this rate with the hotel directly.

I loved being able to walk back and forth for a meal or to get our jackets, etc. It is soooo close. And it is a nice hotel. I really liked the granite in the bathrooms and the shutters and especially liked the refrigerator and microwave. They also have a hair dryer and an iron/board in the rooms.

There is a mini mart at a neighboring hotel also. The rooms aren't too small they are normal sized hotel rooms. I think you'll like it.

Hakuna Makarla
07-16-2004, 07:18 AM
We just stayed at the Carousel Inn this week. I posted my review just this evening. We found the lowest rates for the Carousel at AREStravel.com. It was 64. per night. The rate was actually 59 per night and they charged a 5.00 booking fee. I could not get this rate with the hotel directly.

I loved being able to walk back and forth for a meal or to get our jackets, etc. It is soooo close. And it is a nice hotel. I really liked the granite in the bathrooms and the shutters and especially liked the refrigerator and microwave. They also have a hair dryer and an iron/board in the rooms.

There is a mini mart at a neighboring hotel also. The rooms aren't too small they are normal sized hotel rooms. I think you'll like it.---------------------------------------------------------

I am anxious to read your review, where is it? I looked at the reviews of motels and yours was not there. please post a link( I will be staying there next month) thanks much

SCUBAbe
07-16-2004, 10:15 AM

Thank you for this website. I wish I had seen it earlier. We would have booked both nights there. I just booked saturday night and it was only $72 including all taxes and booking fees. Sunday night we'll be at the PPH. I would have booked both night at the carosel if I had looked at this site sooner. We're not going to the park on saturday (blacked out), but we're looking forward to watching the fireworks from the roof and we'll be refreashed for all day sunday at the park..:)

Sheila
07-16-2004, 10:31 AM
I am anxious to read your review, where is it? I looked at the reviews of motels and yours was not there. please post a link( I will be staying there next month) thanks much

Karla, the review has to be approved and posted before you can read it. Generally, I do the approving of reviews once a day (usually at night). Hang on! :)

Sheila

Hakuna Makarla
07-16-2004, 10:47 AM
Karla, the review has to be approved and posted before you can read it. Generally, I do the approving of reviews once a day (usually at night). Hang on! :)

SheilaLOL! Thank you sheila, I did not know this, I just thought we went to the review site, posted our reviews and that was it. :p I appreciate you letting me know. Next month you will be getting mine to. So do I write you and then wait for my reviews to post, or what? thanks again **Karla

Sheila
07-16-2004, 01:32 PM
It's really easy, Karla! :) Just go to the Review Section and click on the links until you get to the restaurant/hotel you want to review. At the top right of the review page for that location, there'll be a button "Submit A Review!"

Click on that button and follow the directions. I'll be sent an email telling me your review is waiting to be approved. I'll approve it and then it'll be available for everyone to read.

Thank you for any reviews you send me; I'm always happy to get them. :D

Sheila

termoo
07-16-2004, 03:44 PM
My daughter and I stayed at the Carousel last December and got it for $58/night on Orbitz. You might want to check there. It was cheaper than the hotel's website price, I remember.

SCUBAbe
07-16-2004, 03:45 PM
My daughter and I stayed at the Carousel last December and got it for $58/night on Orbitz. You might want to check there. It was cheaper than the hotel's website price, I remember.

I checked orbitz, hotels.com, expedia, places to stay and then I checked the above site and it was the least expensive. :)

I have a list of sites I check when I make hotel arrangements...LOL

Silvrezs
07-17-2004, 09:08 AM
Thank you for Arestravel! We changed our reservation from direct through the Carousel with AAA for $79/night to $65/night (with the $5/night booking fee) with Arestravel. Saving about $90 off our 4 nights there! That was the cheapest we saw out there.

BryanPeek
07-17-2004, 09:22 AM
I've stayed at both. Carousel is cheaper I believe and plus, it's right across the street from Disneyland. Portifino is about two blocks I think? But it's farther away. I believe that information was already give to you though, lol. Oh well.