PDA

View Full Version : Shouldn't there be more staff on hand during the fireworks shows on Fri and Sat?

Alf
07-11-2004, 08:09 AM
I dont know about you guys, but when I was in DL in may I had picked out a nice bench to watch the fireworks, but once it got crowded an air of panic insued!

Two CMs were put in charge of redirecting people away from the Adventure Land entrance and told to go through Frontier Land (not that far away people). While they did their best most people just pushed past them, which I thought was very rude. And then one of the team leaders (I call them that because I dont know what they are actually called), just one, was running up and down the side walk yelling at people to crowd into the street and make a walk way ( and I mean frantic, arm waving crazy yelling) the whole show (because no one listened to her)

Am I way off base or should they get a bunch of big burly security guys to do this?

Animalia
07-11-2004, 09:50 AM
I experienced a crowd control problem myself last December but it was during the evening run of the holiday parade. I had a long drive ahead and happened to make the attempt to leave the park just as the evening parade began up Main St. There's a rope along the sidewalk. If you want to watch the parade you must be on the street side of the rope and leave the building side clear for guest traffic. But this night guests would stop and watch the parade from both sides causing a traffic jam. I got to the Arcade and tried to detour through the ice cream parlor and exit from the bakery. But encountered a massive log jam of people also trying to exit the bakery. It seemed people were standing outside the exit watching the parade and no one inside could get out. Wasn't this a major fire hazard? I turned around to wade through the crowd that had built up behind me and now reached into the ice cream parlor. I made my way outside again where Rod Miller was standing by his piano. A sweet man, as he passed me to go backstage he asked me how I was. I told him I was just trying to stay out of the crowds. He got a concerned look on him, looked out at the people, and agreed that it was a mad house and that it was still two weeks till Christmas. He then gave me a consoling smile and went backstage. He's a very nice man.

I agree with you Alf. With the music playing and guests crammed together, they could've used some big CMs with booming voices to get the masses flowing again. Or at least hire more CMs to do the job so that the ones that are there don't get buried themselves.

SCUBAbe
07-11-2004, 10:00 AM
This is way I rarely watch the parades. When the parades start we hit the rides. The only thing we like to watch is the fireworks at christmas. They use to blow down snow after they were over, but last year we got sticky bubbles..:( ..The last times we were there we were getting icecream when the parade started. I ws so happy to be out of the way of the crowds. By the time we bought it and sat down inside to eat it the parade was over..:)