PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland around New Years

ozbeauticn
07-10-2004, 01:24 PM
I know that Disneyland is crazily overcrowded around this time as it has become a tradition to spend my New Year's Eve at Disneyland. However, this year it falls on a weekend, so my question is this: WOuld it be smarter for me to spend the week after at Disneyland instead of coming for the week before? Is it more crowded the week up until New Year's Eve? I checked hotel prices and they are almost half the price for the week after, so I was wondering if anyone knows what the crowds would be like. Usually there isn't a choice because New Year's Eve has been during the week. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

rentayenta
07-10-2004, 01:59 PM
The hotel prices speak for themselves. The fact that they are more expensive means that its peak season. If you wait until the week after you may miss the holiday decorations. I'm not sure when they are removed.

We are going from Dec. 23-28. I know its going to be packed.

If I wasn't set on being there Christmas Day then I'd contemplate going earlier in Dec. when it's a little less crowded. We are surprising the kids with 2 days in Vegas, one on the way and one on the way home, and DL for 5 days over Christmas.

pisces
07-10-2004, 02:51 PM
I envy you getting to be there on Christmas day proper. Apart from the general decorations, I think they do special things on the 25th that they may not do on other days.

I'll be there from December 27th till Jan 2. But, I really had no choice in the matter as it was when I could get vacation from work.

The New Years Eve rates are really outrageous; well, that whole week, basically, prices, at least the hotel rates, are unreal.

I can kind of justify spending this kind of money because I've not visited the Park for 25 years, so I don't feel too bad on making an occasional splurge.

As for the crowds: If you remember last year, it rained in California for much of that week. But, I don't know if rain necessarily thins the crowds on that particular week, as perhaps the rain does on other times of the year.

rentayenta
07-10-2004, 03:09 PM
How very cool pisces to be visiting after 25 years!

Remember Californians think they'll melt in the rain* so I bet it would be less crowded but I still don't want it to rain.

I don't know if they do anything special on Christmas Day.

*I can say this because I am a native So Cal girl.

Bruce Bergman
07-10-2004, 04:35 PM
The normal pattern at DL is to leave up all the decorations, leave the special items on the menus, and run all the Christmas-y stuff like the Holiday Parades and shows through the next full weekend after New Years Eve, around January 7th.

This year, I'm guessing the big change comes Sunday night 1-9-05 only because stopping on January 2nd seems too soon - they will want to milk the last little bit of added profit out of the holiday season.

But I've been wrong before... :rolleyes:

Sunday evening/Monday morning they begin taking it all down overnight, and they stop the parades and all the special stuff as of Monday, and they have almost all of the decorations down by the end of the week.

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

Darkbeer
07-10-2004, 05:15 PM
I think the main factor is when the k thru 12 kids will be out of school, for example, the San Diego City Schools traditional schedule has the Christmas holidays from December 20th thru December 31st.

But the Los Angeles Unified is going to have 3 weeks off, from December 20th thru January 7th.

But the Haunted Mansion Holiday is scheduled for removal starting January 3rd.

Another issue is the college holiday schedule, as most of the increased holiday staff are college kids....

My guess, the special events, like the Holiday Fireworks and the Christmas parade will end on January 2nd...

Though some of the decor will remain up, it's a small holiday stays open until Monday, January 10th.

There are no refurbs scheduled from December 17th thru January 2nd, so that would indicate to me that those will be the two weeks Disney will treat as peak season.

rentayenta
07-10-2004, 07:45 PM
Darkbeer is my idol. Pass it on ;)

RagtimePrince
07-10-2004, 09:22 PM
It was very light in crowds on Jan 2nd. last year, which I believe was even a Saturday. I think the terrible time to avoid is between Xmas and New Year's Eve, besides that, shouldn't be too bad.