PDA

View Full Version : Soaring Over California-Are scents part of the ride?

Pages : [1] 2

annemerson
07-10-2004, 11:51 AM
I heard that when you go on Soaring Over California you can smell orange blossoms, salt water, and other scents in the different scenes. Is that true? I've been on the ride twice but did not notice any smell
except for the air conditioning and I have a really good sense of smell!

SCUBAbe
07-10-2004, 12:11 PM
yes it's true. My mother had heard that they stopped doing the orange smell because of allergic reactions, but when we rode last month the smell was there. Everytime you hear a blowing or whoosing noise, they are blowing scent down.

Darkbeer
07-10-2004, 12:22 PM
The smell effects are supposed to be offered, but for multiple reasons, some or all of them are sometimes missing.....

Dani24
07-10-2004, 08:30 PM
I was just on it a few days ago. I only noticed one smell the entire time, and it sort of smelled like orange blossoms. But, came out during the ocean scenes, and a couple of other scenes too. I remember thinking that was really odd, and really disappointing, as it would have been way better if they used different smells for different things.

I also thought it would have been cool if during the desert scene they blew warm air into the room, and during the ocean scene they blew mist onto you. It was a cool ride, but it really could have been a lot better. We went on it twice, and I can't say that it's one I'd die to get back on again. Unless they improved it.

CoasterChickie
07-10-2004, 08:39 PM
What scent would they use during the final part when you're soaring over disneyland? Popcorn?

uvsc_wolverine
07-10-2004, 09:27 PM
What scent would they use during the final part when you're soaring over disneyland? Popcorn?

Go back a few years and it could be a the faint smell of cigarette smoke. I would occasionally smell certain types of cigarettes out in public when I was a kid, and I would think "Hey, that smells like Disneyland." It wasn't until a few years later that I figured out what that smell was.

AVP
07-10-2004, 09:59 PM
The "orange" scent is the strongest, and seems to hang around longer. No matter what the scent it, is still smells like oranges. We always joke about the "orange" scented pine trees, and the "orange" scented salt water.

AVP

CoasterChickie
07-10-2004, 10:04 PM
Isn't there a scene where there are jet s flying over the desert? Maybe they could blow some exhaust fumes in from the L.A. freeways! That would be more authentic than orange blossoms.

SCUBAbe
07-11-2004, 12:10 AM
they blow pine out twice, orange and I guess salt water smell, but I've been in the ocean and it does not smell that good...LOL...I always notice all the different scents. I guess it's because when I hear the pppssshhhhh noise I now a smell is coming...LOL

annemerson
07-11-2004, 07:19 AM
I did hear the "whooshing/pshhing" noises...I thought that was the air conditioners or hydraulics for the ride or something.. I wonder why there was no scent.

I like the way they've tried to replicate the redwoods, the golden gate bridge, the palce of fine arts and the boardwalk at DCA, but the main thing we northern Californians noticed missing was the smell of the ocean and fog...I don't think there's anyway they could replicate that. Also, California Screaming looks similar the Giant Dipper, but the Giant Dipper is made out of wood so it sounds really rickety when you ride it. But I love the way the screams echo in the tunnels on California Screaming!!

I can't wait to go back to DCA. Hopefully I'll smell something this time on SOC.

Dani24
07-11-2004, 11:17 AM
but the main thing we northern Californians noticed missing was the smell of the ocean and fog...I don't think there's anyway they could replicate that.

Actually, I was mentioning to my boyfriend the same thing. As we were leaving DCA the other night, and passing under the Golden Gate Bridge, I said "Something's missing here. Something isn't quite right. The Golden Gate Bridge should be shrouded in fog." I think they should put fog machines near the bridge to make it more realistic. :)

tahnok100
07-11-2004, 12:59 PM
Actually, I was mentioning to my boyfriend the same thing. As we were leaving DCA the other night, and passing under the Golden Gate Bridge, I said "Something's missing here. Something isn't quite right. The Golden Gate Bridge should be shrouded in fog." I think they should put fog machines near the bridge to make it more realistic. :)

Yes, that would make it rather realistic. I went to SF about this time last year and was disappointed that I couldn't see the bridge.

"See that out there? That is the Golden Gate Bridge!"
"Umm...yeah... I can see building covered in smog at home."

termoo
07-11-2004, 07:17 PM
The first time I went on Soarin', all the smells were there, and it was really cool. (This was shortly after they opened DCA--you could smell orange groves, pine trees, salt water and grape vines.) The last couple of times, all I could smell was pine, pine, pine. It smelled like one of those scented things you hang in your car.

I always thought it would be cool if they could get the skiing scenes to smell like snow! (like in Harold & Maude, when he breathes in through that smell machine thing.) ;)

splashmtngurl
07-11-2004, 07:36 PM
no the scents are still there. the sent during the orange grove's scene isnt very strong and the pine tree's doesnt work occasionally. you seem to get a better wiff in the middle and top rows!

CoasterChickie
07-11-2004, 07:41 PM
I always thought it would be cool if they could get the skiing scenes to smell like snow! (like in Harold & Maude, when he breathes in through that smell machine thing.) ;)

Or maybe the CM's could pelt you with snowballs...I bet they wouldn't have any problem filling that position! Can you imagine how surprised (or mad) a guest would be if that actually happened ?! I'm not mean or anything. I just think it woud be funny if they did it to someone who had been acting really obnoxious while waiting in the line. But then the person could get hurt. All right all right dumb idea. The Harold and Maude smell machine thing is better :)

annemerson
07-11-2004, 09:21 PM
Wow. There are so many different replies to this one. Some people smelled oranges and some people smelled pines. I like the idea for the fog machines near the golden gate bridge. I didn't like the idea for the snowballs but my son and his friends probably would .(I assume you were kidding) I had forgotten all about the ski scene, but that would be great if they could make it smell like Tahoe. And I would love it if the grapevine smell is working the next time I go. Scubababe mentioned something about the smells being stronger in certain spots which reminds me...which line do you have to be in to sit in the top row in the middle? I remember there being some special names but I don't remember what they were.

myron61090
07-12-2004, 01:46 AM
i remember smelling all the scents... and for me the ocean salt smell was the strongest... or maybe it just is because its the one i dont like the most.... in the snowy scene they should make fine tissue paper confetti and drop it to look like ssnowflakes!!1 haha

and also, i think that they should put not only fog gunderneath the golden gate bridge but also STRONG mist machines haha

anyway, it would be cool if there is a walkthrough attraction where you go through a californian neighborhood (as in you enter and exit houses) and you can smeel scents like coffee in the kitchen, too much perfume and makeup smell in the girls bedroom, the smell of used/soiled clothes in the boys room and a smell of carrot and peas in the babies play room...

but then instead of california adventure, it would become smellotopia... which isnt that bad of a change

Dani24
07-12-2004, 08:52 AM
Yes, that would make it rather realistic. I went to SF about this time last year and was disappointed that I couldn't see the bridge.

"See that out there? That is the Golden Gate Bridge!"
"Umm...yeah... I can see building covered in smog at home."

It's not smog. It's fog. BIG difference.

sami869
07-12-2004, 11:22 AM
I've only been on it 3 times but each time I smelt the same things: the pine trees (which smell like car air freshener), the orange trees (which smell like orange sented cleaner spray) and the ocean (which smells nothing like the ocean and more like perfume). I never smelt grapevines although that would have been nice. The firs ttime I went on it with my boyfriend he thought I was crazy because he didn't notice the smells. I made him go on it again to prove that they were really there :)

tahnok100
07-12-2004, 11:28 AM
It's not smog. It's fog. BIG difference.

Yes, I know, but it worked at the time. They both look about the same, one is just made of toxins instead of water ;) .

PrincessinWonderland
07-12-2004, 12:10 PM
I got STUCK on Soarin' yesterday! During the Golden Gate Bridge scene, we felt a sudden jerk, the film shut off, and we were literally left "hanging" for 5-10 minutes. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Emma
07-12-2004, 12:16 PM

No... it should be the smell of home made candy and ice cream-- like when you walk down Main Street :)

CoasterChickie
07-12-2004, 12:40 PM
My brother-in-law told me that they send popcorn smells into the air when you 're walking down main street so that you'll get hungry and buy more food. (Some marketing tool to increase food sales. I'll have to ask CM Matt about this :~D ) But when I checked out his theory, I only smelled popcorn if there was really a popcorn stand right there.

iwannabeanimagineer
07-12-2004, 01:38 PM
I also recall that there are some temperature changes throughout the presentation. I remember a warm breeze as you "fly" over the Anza-Borrego Desert and a cool breeze as you "fly" over the snow-covered mountains at Lake Tahoe. I believe the same fans that distribute the scented air distribute the cooled and heated air.

BJW
07-12-2004, 03:26 PM
Can someone help me with something? I was at DCA's opening weekend and I remember riding Soarin' and during the opening sequence with the Golden Gate Bridge while the gliders are being pulled to the top it seems like I remember a fog being sprayed from both sides of the screen, similar to the bug spray scene in It's Tough to be a Bug. Does anyone else remember something like this or am I remembering wrong? :confused:

If this is true, why did they stop doing it?