PDA

View Full Version : Imagineer Sam McKim passes away

AVP
07-09-2004, 04:40 PM
MousePlanet has just learned that Imagineer Sam McKim has passed away. Walt Disney Imagineering has not yet released any details about his death, but will be issuing a statement shortly.

Opus1guy
07-09-2004, 06:09 PM
I'm out of town on business and just dropped in to MousePlanet to discover this news. I considered Sam a good friend who I've known for decades. A wonderful man and we had many great times, dinners and storytelling sessions with him and his lovely wife Dorothy.

Last time I saw Sam I thought he was in great health and had that usual spring in in step.

Condolences to all his family and friends. This is very sad news and a great loss to all Disney fans. :(

But I can hear him now..."Well...Hi ya Walt!"

KIDinTHEkingdom
07-09-2004, 06:18 PM
My prayers will be with his family. I thank him for all that you have done to help spread the magic.

AVP
07-09-2004, 10:04 PM
But I can hear him now..."Well...Hi ya Walt!"That makes me smile.

AVP

Alf
07-10-2004, 10:43 AM
His contributions to the world will ensure his immortality in our memories. Gods speed Sam, thanks for making me smile.

jiminycesq
07-11-2004, 07:15 PM
You know, I am saddened and surprised to hear of Sam McKim's passing, but at the same time, he had a great life and every member of his family that I have had the pleasure of meeting has consistently been kind and gracious, as was Sam. Not only did Sam design the first "Disneyland Map" that was sold at the park, and whose basic layout continues to be used not only at Disneyland but also Disney world, Tokyo and Paris (in fact he drew the first one at Paris Euro Disneyland as well!) but he did many concept sketches for Disneyland, particularly Frontierland, before it opened. Later, Walt chose Sam to design the background art for the Lincoln "story" film, of which Sam was very and rightfully proud. Sam was always extremely approachable and friendly, and gracious to fans - at one point several years back I know he hosted a collector from Britain who came to California, and I got to visit him and Dottie at their home while she was there (then we left to tour Animation!) Just a few weeks ago Sam was at an Imagineering Worlds Fair tribute at Louie Garcia's show, and seemed to be in fine health, as friendly as ever. Sam loved Disney, loved Walt, never had an unkind word to say about anyone that I ever heard; and he loved America and truly believed in the American heritage and promise. Both Sam's sons at one time worked with Imagineering as well. Sam had an earlier career with I think small parts in Western films, and one of his friends was Dickie Jones - a western actor who started in childhood roles, with the Disney connection of being the voice of Pinocchio. Just a few weeks ago I met Mr. Jones and regretted shortly afterwards that I did not mention knowing Sam, as Sam always had kind words to say about Dickie. I cant say I knew Sam personally, but I can say that everything about him indicated he was a good man, and a caring sincere person, and the kind of guy you would like to have visited with for many hours. My deepest condolences to his wife and family, and I am thankful for having a few chances to visit with him and treasure the mementos of his work for Walt and Disneyland. I encourage others to post their memories here as I would hope that someone could share them with his family.