PDA

View Full Version : Blame it on Disney! (SoCal Deal)

wonderful
11-08-2001, 06:49 PM
Now, I can usually take criticism on the parks I love (and who employ me) but today criticism came to the wrong place...
Some media idiot (gee I hope the LA Times folks check this site out!) misprints the deal as a "two ticket" deal, and dozens of radio stations, televison networks, and, um, NEWSPAPERS go with the story...
As guest after misguided guest comes to the park, they are told that the deal is not "two tickets" (ie."two for one") BUT it's still a great deal! So does the media turn around a retraction? No way! Let Disney look bad, while they look like their "doing their job."
Well, I don't know a whole lot about WHO makes the decision to make retractions (so my rant is not about ALL media folk) but whoever thought it would be okay to just blame Disney really gives a bad name to those journalists who actually try to get the facts straight... who actually "do their job."
End of rant.

tabacco
11-08-2001, 07:05 PM
Don't forget all the Main Entrance CMs who have to deal with angry guests who read the story :)

Ace
11-08-2001, 07:19 PM
wait, so what is it? what I took it to be was that I can pay 49 bucks and go to Disneyland one day, and go back the next day? That seems right........

zapppop
11-08-2001, 07:42 PM
Not it's not.

The deal is 1 day in one park and the next day in the other park.

Darkbeer
11-08-2001, 10:50 PM
What I have read (and I have used my VCR to freeze the fine print) I have seen nothing that REQUIRES you to go to both parks, as far as I can tell, you can go to the same park on two different days so long as the second visit is by December 19th.

Crazytigger
11-08-2001, 11:18 PM
I thought that was December 18th. Also you can visit both parks in one day, but then the ticket is done.

innerSpaceman
11-09-2001, 06:40 AM
Does anyone know if you can use the two tickets as a single day Park Hopper, i.e. - can you go to Disneyland using $43 Ticket A, then go to DCA later that same day using $6 Ticket B, and then (when you are sick of that puny park within the hour), go back to Disneyland where you belong, that same day, using your handstamp and Ticket A?

coronamouseman
11-09-2001, 07:05 AM
The "launching" of the new Disney 2-day SoCal ticket is just one more example of the ineptitude and disorganization of Mr. E's
"marketeers".

A good product launch (and this ticket is a corporate product) involves a clear-cut announcement of the product, supporting literature for the product and providng of proper information to staff to allow them to answer questions and support that product.

Look at the gaffes:

1. Radio/TV spots without any print media support
2. Newspaper ad today in LA times (probably OC Register too) two days after news media in those same papers report the deal
3. Still no update to the DLR website - What, you guys don't want your guests planning a trip to know about this? You would rather they buy something more expensive online before finding out there was a much better deal available when they get there?

Just another example of misdirected headless chickens running around on the farm ........

MickeyD
11-09-2001, 09:14 AM
On the 10:00pm news on KTLA last night, they announced they were "2 for 1" tickets. I thought to myself, uh, oh, that's misleading.

EandCDad
11-09-2001, 11:46 AM
I don't think you can hop back on the same day innerspaceman. At least that was what I got from the Al Lutz DIG update that discussed the ticket.

I think you can go to two parks with the ticket. Both parks on the same day, both parks on different days, the same park on different days, but you only get two entrances.

The funny thing is that despite being relatively obsessive Disney fans, mine is like the fifth different interpretation of the program and I'm not even sure I'm right or that any of us have all the facts.

disneyhead
11-09-2001, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by EandCDad
I don't think you can hop back on the same day innerspaceman. At least that was what I got from the Al Lutz DIG update that discussed the ticket.

I think you can go to two parks with the ticket. Both parks on the same day, both parks on different days, the same park on different days, but you only get two entrances.

Couldn't you just get your hand stamped for re-admittence into Disneyland?

Cadaverous Pallor
11-09-2001, 03:15 PM
God, if it's this confusing to US, the big Disney freaks that we are, can you imagine all the insanity going on at the front gates/ticket booths? Why do these things have to be so confusing??? Couldn't they just let you hop back and forth for 2 days? That would be so much easier to understand - Two full days of both parks whenever you want.

It seems to me they are making this too hard.

Morrigoon
11-09-2001, 03:31 PM
I think EandC has it right, at least as I understand it.

EandCDad
11-09-2001, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by disneyhead

Couldn't you just get your hand stamped for re-admittence into Disneyland?

I don't really now. It seems like you should be able to. My understanding is basically coming from reading the release from Disney in Al's columns on this site.

What seems clear:
1. You buy the ticket for $49
2. That day you go to one of the two parks.
3. You can hop to the other park the same day (using up your whole ticket and making it so you can't come back any other day.)OR
You can come back any day till 12/18 and go to the same park
OR
You can come back any day till 12/18 and go to the other park.

What is not clear:
If you go to one park the first day and hop to the other park, can you go back to the first park the same day? Al's column says no but the release does not seem to rule it out. Something to ask at the gate I guess.

wonderful
11-10-2001, 12:57 PM
Here's the deal (and Al had it right, too):
So Cal residents only
$49 per adult, $39 per child (3-9 yo) PER TICKET (not "two persons for the price of one")
One of the following:
1. One day at Disneyland and one day at California Adventure OR
2. Two days at Disneyland OR
3. Two days at California Adventure (don't laugh!) OR
4. One half day at Disneyland and half a day at DCA... this is not "hopping" (although, it SHOULD be)
The best deal is to use it for TWO days... however you use it. The half day is still a deal, but it's hard to do both parks in one day and that's a LOT of walking.
The deal is good to December 19th (not the 18th), and you must use the first day on the day of purchase.
By the way, SoCal discounts should NEVER be posted on the DL website... the site is accessible to EVERYONE around the world and those who are not SoCal residents don't really understand why "locals can get a discount but we can't"...
And I really disagree with the idea of "proper roll out" being the problem... There are HUGE California letters in front of DCA and people still say "Oh, I'm in the wrong park." Point is, no matter how explicit you are, some folks just "don't get it." Just happens that this time the media was no help!

rexfarms
11-10-2001, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
God, if it's this confusing to US, the big Disney freaks that we are, can you imagine all the insanity going on at the front gates/ticket booths? Why do these things have to be so confusing??? Couldn't they just let you hop back and forth for 2 days? That would be so much easier to understand - Two full days of both parks whenever you want.

It seems to me they are making this too hard.

Maybe thats why its so cheap?;)