PDA

View Full Version : So... what are everybody's predictions for new rides in DL's future?

Pages : [1] 2

Alf
07-09-2004, 02:59 PM
:fez: Allow me to start off this fun thread by suggesting that they might, in the future, tear down Thunder Mountain Rail Road and replace it with..um...hrm... well when I first thought about creating this thread I figured it would be cool to import Everest from WDW or Journey to the Center of the Earth from DS in Tokyo (which , if I am reading into the information I've found correctly, are similar in size and concept) . HOWEVER it occurs to me that there might not be enough real-estate to house such mammoth rides. SO, instead, I'll predict that the TMRR will be eventually replaced by a thrilling Indiana Jones (movie not the ride) LIKE mine cart ride through a silver mine set in the old west.

Themeing would go something like this: Not bidding the warnings of the old timer in town you venture up to the abandoned silver mine on in Specter Peak ( or some such scary sounding name). Although it is rife with silver... all who have tried to find their fortune there have never been heard from again. The entrance has been boarded off and equipment stills lays where is was dropped.

The queue would consist of your trail up the mountain. Dotted along the way would be warnings scrawled in a panic, urging you to turn back (might be a good way to present the safety info). There would also be remnants of a base camp and various pieces mining equipment rusting and covered in cob webs. Ambient sounds of rattle snakes and a faint moaning wind would play in the back ground.

You enter a cart for a faster way down to the heart of the mine where the mother of all silver veins is said to be. You travel down the bumpy (but not to thrilling ... yet) track until you round a corner... and there it is.. a huge sparkling silver vain....why, it seems that you could scoop it out with your bare hands... but wait, what’s that sound??

At this point in the ride all hell would break loose as the phantoms of all the trapped miners would chase you and it would seem that the very mountain it's self is taking its vengeance out on you for all the years it was dug away at. You would encounter ghosts, swarms of bats, dynamite explosions and at the end a simulated break through the boarded up mine exit.

Then the ride is over..fun E-ticket dark ride for all. Now lets hear your... hopefully more logical and probably more possible ideas.

:fez:

splashmtngurl
07-09-2004, 07:19 PM
Well according to miceage disney just tested out a new ride vehicle on the peter pan flight that seats the guest and then a butterfly style harness comes over the passengers and as the car starts moving it tips so that your facing straight down as if you were flying. The car was inteded for a monster's inc ride and was inteded to replace the superstar limo space but it appears that new president of the park matt ouimet has nixed the idea for now because he wants to put in a great e-ticket ride with no or little height restrictions and it seems that this ride was actually rather scary from the height of the peter pan attraction (not to high) and it was inteded to be even higher in the monsters inc ride. because of its thrill/scary factor they decided that height requirements would be similar to indiana jones and splashmtn meaning it wouldnt be the e-ticket ride matt was looking for. i look forward to a great new e-ticket ride and would love to see the monsters inc idea develope to. i mean doesnt it sound neat?

splashmtngurl
07-09-2004, 07:26 PM
also the idea of the mountain mine thing sounded awesome. i am a lil confused though, would it be a dark ride or somehting simalar to POTC and HM?

also i heard some people talking about how cool it would be to have a emperor's new groove ride. it could be neat but the movie wasnt a huge sucsess....

another thing i would like to see is for disney to put something into the abandoned sub area. a nemo, little mermaid or atlantis ride would fit nicely!

The old area where rocket rods was would also be a prime spot for a new attraction. personally, if DL (not counting DCA) wants to add more attractions i would like to see them put the attractions in tommorrowland. infact i could careless about the new attractions i would rather see tommorrowland get a makeover. They are of course giving Spacemtn an extensive re-make and they are putting in the new buzz lightear ride for the 50th anniversery. but according to what i have heard the ride isnt intended to be as agood as the one in DL sort of like the winnie the poo ride isnt as good as the one in tokyo!

Alf
07-09-2004, 10:03 PM
About the mine cart ride, I was thinking sort of Indy crossed with the Matterhorn except not as jerky. Dark and Fast, but still themed with alot of care and detail. Just wait untill I'm an Imagineer and it'll be a ride for sure! :fez:

Man Monsters Inc would be great! I know a few people at Pixar who worked on that film and I am sure they'd be...uh... mildly excited.. :| hmmm and if what you mentioned about the flying harness is true then that would be a GREAT idea for peter pan. Its just what they need at DL... innovation! (not innovention that thing SUCKS!).

Where'd you get that info on Matt wanting a new E-ticket ride? if thats true i cant wait!!! DL really needs some love and that just might do the trick :fez:

DisneyDustin22
07-09-2004, 10:57 PM
I like the idea of a mine car ride as a rollercoasted type. Ive often thought that the mine car scene in Indy: Temple of Doom would make a great ride. It would be something cool to actually put in WDW Studios if the Stunt Show ever closes. That way they could keep the Indy area and not have to copy the DL ride seeing as DINOSAUR is the same thing. It would give both Disney and Indy fans a whole new experience.

But getting back to DL. The Monsters ride would be fun, the new car design sounds pretty intense. Should settle a lot of us thrill seakers looking for that new experience.

I think as far as the future goes, we will see some more Indy type rides or TOT type, where you are thrown into a whole experience in itself. Dark rides are fun and everyone has a love for them, but in todays world, its the thrill and edge of your seat feel is what people are looking for. Everyone wants bigger and better. With technology growing, I think you will only see the envelope pushed further along the lines of sensory overload attractions. Where youre not just rolling by black light paintings and scenes, but where the outside world is coming alive around you, and in you as well. Everything from your seat moving to individualized effects per occupant on a ride.

We shall see...

annemerson
07-09-2004, 11:21 PM
I think Tomorrowland is desperately in need of some new rides. Lilo and Stitch was a huge hit and since it starts out with an outer space scene, the imaginners ought to be able to come up with a ride that incorporates that. Or maybe they could do some kind of simulated surfing ride over at DCA.

If Thunder Mountain is going to be shut down, I think they should have a Pocahontas ride with giant water slides that you ride down in rubber canoes that look like they're made out of wood. (If you've ever been to Dollywood in Tennessee then you know what I mean...they are a blast!) Some kind of waterfall at the end of the ride would be good.

Or that space could be used for some kind of underground railroad like you're going into an old mine.

I love the ideas that people have suggested for a Nemo submarine ride,the Emperor's New Groove, and Aladdin.

There are a lot of movies that lend themselves to a ride with hang-gliders made for two or three people to travel through some kind of tunnel with scenes from whatever movie they choose.

If "Around the World in 80 Days" is a hit, they could come up with some kind of hot air balloon ride.

My son would love it if they had an area of the park where you could sword -fight...maybe the guests could take on Merlin or Arthur in some kind of simulation fight or it could be a sword fight with one of the bad guys from Mulan.

Hmmmm Still thinking...

Alf
07-10-2004, 10:34 AM
With "Around the world in 80 days" already released (and it flopped :() I doubt we'll see any of that theatrical stinker in ride form. I'd really like to see more rides that inspire movies and other media(ie;haunted mansion, pirates of the Caribbean... and to some extent TOT even though, that was inspired by Twilight Zone..then TOT inspired a Steve Gutenburg movie..which was awful!), not cribed from movies and other media. TMRR need to be replaced with another thrilling western themed ride ( in my humble opinion). As much as I love DL, it needs shot in the arm! And this string of unfortunate events just might be the spurring they need.

If they put a Nemo ride in the old Sub ride's pen... I'd say that would be one of the smartest things they've done in a LONG time. Pixar movies were (seeing as Pixar has left Disney in the dust) Disney's biggest grossers at the box office, and themeing more rides afer Pixar properties is a great idea ( I mean good themeing not Himlic's Chew Chew train themeing). The sub pen is talor made for a visit with nemo! Thats a good one.

Alf
07-10-2004, 12:46 PM
Ok ok I am bumping this thread cause I love hearing other peoples ideas... am I a little biased..sure I am!

Pilot Mickey
07-10-2004, 06:10 PM
a little off topic, but i think DCA needs a show, another show i think golden dreams is a show.... right?.... anyways i think the best rides in the DLR are the orignal rides (POTC, HM, SOC, Matterhorn, ect.) in recent years Disney everywhere has just been making rides based on movies or other rides, they need to go back to the roots, make another orignal ride, stop talking about monster inc., nemo, around the world in 80 days, lilo & sticth, ect.... someone get the wip out down at imagianearing, and get cracking.... :~D

rentayenta
07-10-2004, 07:58 PM
I just want the subs back. I'm old school.

Dani24
07-10-2004, 08:53 PM
[QUOTE=splashmtngurl]
The old area where rocket rods was would also be a prime spot for a new attraction. personally, if DL (not counting DCA) wants to add more attractions i would like to see them put the attractions in tommorrowland. infact i could careless about the new attractions i would rather see tommorrowland get a makeover. They are of course giving Spacemtn an extensive re-make and they are putting in the new buzz lightear ride for the 50th anniversery. QUOTE]

May I just say that Tomorrowland, in its current state, STINKS?! :mad: I think it was the worst are in DL. About the only thing there right now is Star Tours, and Autopia. Innoventions isn't something you can really do over and over again. And with Space Mountain down :crying: it was one of those areas that my SO and I just passed through on our way to something else.

I'll tell you where all the action was: Fronteirland/New Orleans Square/Critter Country/Adventureland. Or, more precisely, the area between Indy and the Haunted Mansion. You'd go elsewhere in the park and it wouldn't be nearly as crowded as that are was.

Alf
07-11-2004, 08:01 AM
agreed... but space mountin will be open soon enough..and there will finally be a reason to visit tommorrow land!!!! HIP HIP HOOREY!

SCUBAbe
07-11-2004, 09:52 AM
Well according to miceage disney just tested out a new ride vehicle on the peter pan flight that seats the guest and then a butterfly style harness comes over the passengers and as the car starts moving it tips so that your facing straight down as if you were flying

hmmm, I think they aready use this technology on X at MM. The entire seats rotate. When you go down a hill you are looking straight at the ground. I have to get on that ride next time. I just can't convince my child to try it...LOL

JiminyC
07-11-2004, 11:36 AM
more thrill rides !!!

Alf
07-11-2004, 12:22 PM
How bout a ride where they tie you up and spray high pressure water at you for 20 mins.... it would be the exact same effect as sitting through the innoventions presentation.

Disney Vault
07-11-2004, 03:13 PM
Can you imagine what CM Matt must be going through. He must be pulling out his hair.

Alf
07-11-2004, 04:07 PM
Sounds to me like he actually has his wits about him. Priortiy 1: Make a new E-ticket ride with NO hight requirements, base it on something kids gobble up = fun new ride/ more income! Priority 2: Raise AP prices to generate more ticket revenue (not peoples favorite option but after looking at DL's profit numbers this year so far, a good idea). Makes you wonder what the IQ was of the people who came before him!! While to sounds to me like we wont be getting that cool X harness thing they testing on Peter pan a while back(due to hight requirements and low rider per hour numbers). It seems that Matt might be the one who can get Burbank to poney up the green to restore DL to its former glory..... now Matt if your listening WHAT WILL BECOME OF THE SUB PEN??? it cant just sit there... tear down the people mover tracks, just gimme Sub ride!!!

splashmtngurl
07-11-2004, 05:29 PM
yeah but the way these seats work, they are suspended from above! so its like a flying thingy!

and i totally agree that tommorrowland is extremly dull in its current state. i have been on the rides over there enough so that i dont have to go on them anymore....infact i only go to tommorrowland to wisit the premiere shop or hop the monarail to the downtown disney but of course space mtn will add alot to that area and then they will have the buzz thing so it may be a little more interesting. i still think it lacks a certain something in the arcitecture...perhaps its the fact that none of the facades are interesting....hmmmmmmmmmm

CoasterChickie
07-11-2004, 05:42 PM
[QUOTE=splashmtngurl]

and i totally agree that tommorrowland is extremly dull in its current state. QUOTE]

Ridewise...yep. Dull and annoying. Especially when you try to go on Autopia! What's with all those little gnats that fly around your head and follow you?!

But if you're a lanyard pin junkie it's pretty fun to hang out in front of the premiere shop with all the traders. And the bands that play in Tomorrowland are pretty fun to dance to.

Alf
07-11-2004, 06:06 PM
THANK god somebody posted about the Gnats!!!! I ran into those freaky buggers in DLCA. It was weird as heck and I had to do some evasive manuvers to get those things off of me! Its like you have a Gnat crown! After reading the book Prey I was worried they were disney Nano bots coming to eat me. Very twilight zone!

CoasterChickie
07-11-2004, 06:16 PM
I had to do some evasive manuvers to get those things off of me! Its like you have a Gnat crown!

I knew it wasn't just me!! My friends kept teasing me and said it was because I stink and calling me " Flower". (sniffle sniffle :crying: ) They usually call me "Bambi" because of my skinny ankles!

So did YOU scream like a girl too? :~D

splashmtngurl
07-11-2004, 06:54 PM
also the reasoning behind the price raise on AP's is that DL currently has some 600,000 AP holders and it is taking away from the amount of money they bring in each year. so they are raising the prices of AP's and making more blackout dates in hopes of diminishing some of the PH!

of course according to the charts, attendence has dropped alot. Apparently there were only 40-50,000 people in the park on the fourth of july and normally there are about 70,000! i cant see why people are ceasing to attend though. i mean with the annual passes going and all of the accidents with TMR and stuff, i believe people, mainly the ones that have only been to DL a few times or never, are starting to get a very distorted image of DL. but witht the way things have been happening, arent we all?

splashmtngurl
07-11-2004, 06:55 PM
I'm a huge pin collector so i always have to make a couple stops there!

Alf
07-11-2004, 06:59 PM
I knew it wasn't just me!! My friends kept teasing me and said it was because I stink and calling me " Flower". (sniffle sniffle :crying: ) They usually call me "Bambi" because of my skinny ankles!

So did YOU scream like a girl too? :~D

Lets just say that, while I didnt scream like a girl, I must have looked like a goon darting around and constantly looking at the sky like I was expecting a plane engine to fall on me.

PS. Unless I stink, I'll wager your scent has nothting to do with it Bambi
:fez:

Alf
07-11-2004, 07:02 PM
After I got off of star tours ( I forgot how cool the themeing is in that area!) I saw a Stomp "like" performance from some CM's who previously appeared to be just cleaning up... coolest thing I've seen in tommorrow land in a while :(