PDA

View Full Version : Closing DCA?

Attractions 87
11-08-2001, 04:25 PM
Welp, folks, here's the latest scuttlebutt...

Most recent chat about DCA is still not about closing it. But talk about reduced hours!!!!! 12 to 4! Yup. You read that right. Now, I can't imagine that happing more than a couple days a week, and I only got the tail end of the info. Right now with Disney, anything regarding DCA must be considered gossip until it actually happens. But I can certainly see this happening. Attendance last Sunday was...wait for it...1,400!

I seem to remember a hot debate on the alt.disneyland newsgroup over whether DCA would be a success or not. Put me in the "I told you so" column. :)

Attractions 87

zapppop
11-08-2001, 04:32 PM
12PM - 4PM seems a little too short.
I think 11AM - 5PM would be the shortest.

Cadaverous Pallor
11-08-2001, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by zapppop
12PM - 4PM seems a little too short.
I think 11AM - 5PM would be the shortest.
Good point - they wouldn't bother going through all the morning maintenance of checking rides etc., plus all the closing routine, for only 4 hours of income.

innerSpaceman
11-08-2001, 04:44 PM
12 noon to 1pm should do it. You could ride Soarin' twice and, since that's the only unique thing to do there, you could then get back over to Disneyland where you belong.

$43 won't cut it for a one-hour admission, so they'll have to drop the price to the true value for the park - $3.

coronamouseman
11-08-2001, 06:48 PM
12-4, huh?

Might as well just take down the turnstiles and let DCA be pay-as-you-ride amusement area - they might make more in walk-up business from Katella Ave. or from the Convention Center across the street or from Downtown Disney as they're doing right now.

Do that until they can put Tot and RnR in to make DCA a real theme park with actual rides people want to go on .............

mcampisi
11-09-2001, 06:30 AM
Where exactly did this rumor start or did you hear it from?

80S ERA
11-09-2001, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
12 noon to 1pm should do it. You could ride Soarin' twice and, since that's the only unique thing to do there, you could then get back over to Disneyland where you belong.

$43 won't cut it for a one-hour admission, so they'll have to drop the price to the true value for the park - $3.

:D :D

Or soon they will have to pay guests to come in!:D

hbquikcomjamesl
11-09-2001, 08:00 AM
Personally, I should think a better choice would be to close Disneyland one day a week (i.e., the slowest day) during off-peak periods (the way it used to be, 20 years ago), so that maintenance crews can work during daylight hours (probably doing a better job for less money), and have up to 36 uninterrupted hours without guests for heavy maintenance tasks.

Also during the same off-peak periods, I would close DCA during the two slowest consecutive days on which Disneyland is open. This would give DCA a one-day-a-week monopoly, give DL a two-day-a-week monopoly, concentrate DCA's business into the remaining days, and give the maintenance crews two days to work on DCA during daylight hours, and (assuming a 6 PM closure the day before and a noon opening the day after) a whopping 66 uninterrupted hours without guests for heavy maintenance, for tearing out embarrassments like Mulholland Mistake and Superstar Lemon, and for building new attractions.

This staggered closure would avoid having any days when neither park is open, and would make more sense than cutting hours so tight that daily setup and shutdown take longer than the actual open hours.

Attractions 87
11-09-2001, 08:31 AM

I thought they already did, but the price was $6. (The new So Cal discount. $43.00 for Disneyland, and $6.00 extra for the extra day. Just use the extra day as a park hopper.)

Where exactly did this rumor start or did you hear it from?

One of the information sessions. Can't be more specific than that without revealing the source. Gotta keep some secrets, otherwise no one will tell me anything anymore. :)

I should think a better choice would be to close Disneyland one day a week (i.e., the slowest day) during off-peak periods (the way it used to be, 20 years ago), so that maintenance crews can work during daylight hours (probably doing a better job for less money)

Untrue. Disney found out that it costs the same to have the park open seven days a week than to close it one or two days for maintenance. Hence the reason they got rid of the dark days.

Attractions 87

Two days until the Great Rebellion!
We'll see how it really goes.

bluepearl
11-09-2001, 08:37 AM
Wow, 1400 for attendance last Sunday? :eek: I shouldn't be so surprised, but that's such a low number!

And those hours are incredibly short...most likely to take place during the weekdays, I assume? And what...is DCA going to close at 6 during the weekends now? :rolleyes: