PDA

View Full Version : Filming policy [inside Soarin']

yasudab
07-09-2004, 06:05 AM
has anyone been able to film inside soaring over california?

stan4d_steph
07-09-2004, 06:11 AM
Filming is not permitted inside Soarin'. I'm sure someone has probably done it, but I would suggest you follow the rules.

mrcoffee
07-09-2004, 08:02 AM
I've seen a video that someone did posted to the newsgroup, and it wasn't very pretty..

The main problem is that since it's a film, and you're doing videotape, it flickers quite a bit. (I'm not a film/video guy, but it's due to the speed of the film vs. the speed of the video. Or something like that.) The point is, it didn't look too good.

RagtimePrince
07-09-2004, 12:49 PM
I believe the Soarin film runs at 48 fps, so with a NTSC video camera (NTSC is the North American standard for TV format) running at 30fps, stuff really doesn't match up and you get a strong flickering. It really doesn't work, plus the sudden changes in scenes and lighting would probably throw off a camcorder focus, and you'd need a wide angle lens to get any decent portion of it all.

soccerlady16
07-09-2004, 06:06 PM
Why is filming in some rides not allowed but others are? I've seen people filming the Screaming. it being a faster ride. Why can't you film in TOT? It seems safer {to film} than Screaming.

KIDinTHEkingdom
07-09-2004, 06:21 PM
With tower of terror you have special effects that may be ruined by video lighting. Concerning filming in Soarin over California, I would suggest following the rules and not filming the attraction.

wenderella
07-09-2004, 09:35 PM
At one time www.visionsfantastic.com had a video you could download. It is not that great, but when you need a quick Soarin' "fix", it's fun to watch. We saved it to our desktop and my kids love to watch it every once in a while.

Chris Lang
07-09-2004, 11:30 PM
At one time www.visionsfantastic.com had a video you could download. It is not that great, but when you need a quick Soarin' "fix", it's fun to watch. We saved it to our desktop and my kids love to watch it every once in a while.

I'd also like to add that this video was taken by somebody during the first days of Soarin's operation when there was no policy against videotaping.

Chris Lang
Webmaster, VisionsFantastic.com

DCACM
07-09-2004, 11:48 PM
I'd also like to add that this video was taken by somebody during the first days of Soarin's operation when there was no policy against videotaping.

The "no flash-photography or videotaping" policy has been in effect since day one and has alway been part of our pre-flight spiel.

The reason for the policy (aside from the movie being copyrighted) is safety. It sure would be a drag to have someone drop a camcorder or camera on your head while trying to enjoy the ride. We also don't allow flash pictures in ANY dark attraction, sometimes for safety reasons (Soarin'), somtimes because it ruins effects, but mostly cause its darned rude to those around you.

Chris Lang
07-09-2004, 11:57 PM
The "no flash-photography or videotaping" policy has been in effect since day one and has alway been part of our pre-flight spiel.

The reason for the policy (aside from the movie being copyrighted) is safety. It sure would be a drag to have someone drop a camcorder or camera on your head while trying to enjoy the ride. We also don't allow flash pictures in ANY dark attraction, sometimes for safety reasons (Soarin'), somtimes because it ruins effects, but mostly cause its darned rude to those around you.

Thank you for clarification of the policy, and it seems I was mistaken. As I may have alluded to, I did not personally shoot this video and the person who contributed it said they had shot it "when they still allowed videotaping".

Chris Lang

CoasterChickie
07-09-2004, 11:57 PM
has anyone been able to film inside soaring over california?

Why do you want to film it? For your own personal memories ? Or to show it to people who have never seen it? That's like peeking at Christmas presents...it'll ruin the surprise! Don't do it!
(This is a light-hearted message :) )

TikiGeek
07-10-2004, 04:40 AM
We filmed it. With a high quality digital recorder and no lighting, that would ruin the effect and ruin it for others trying to enjoy this great ride. It does flicker when you replay it but I don't care. We watch it and listen to the music from the CD that we bought at DCA. I get goosebumbs and tears well up in my eyes. We've been on this ride a dozen times and it still makes me feel great! The recording always lifts my spirit and makes me want to go back to DCA. They should allow recording (with no lighting), it's the best advertising that they could get.

yasudab
07-10-2004, 06:14 AM
why is videotaping considered rude?? how can it be considered rude? especially if you are pointing a camera at a screen? also, if you have seen the way the ride is designed, there is no danger of dropping the video camera on top of someones head. Everyone is in different rows, so the only place a camera will drop is on the ground, not on someones head.

CoasterChickie
07-10-2004, 07:33 AM
Thanks for your answer TikiGeek!! :)

David R
07-10-2004, 09:01 AM
Personally I hate it when I'm riding something and someone is videotaping the whole thing with the LCD screen flipped open. It's very distracting and in darker areas the light from the LCD screen ruins the experience.

TikiGeek
07-10-2004, 09:07 AM
The LCD screen has an off switch ;).

David R
07-10-2004, 11:15 AM
I wish that knowledge was universal ;)

SCUBAbe
07-10-2004, 11:32 AM
it makes people uncomfortable when filming is done next to them. I feel like I can't talk or make noise and that doesn't help me enjoy the ride. Not that I'm noisy on rides, but I have seen small children talk through the rides and when I take someone on a ride when they are nervous sometimes I need to talk to them. My mother is scared of heights, but I didn't think the ride would bother her and it didn't, but the first time she rode it I had to talk her through it. Now she loves it. However, the flash photography bothers me the most. The recording says over and over again no flash photography and then all through pairates soembody is taking pics with flash. That is so distracting during the rides. I also heard it's not allowed because if everyone did it the attraction would fade....ok they said that at hearst castle, but the same theory may apply.

annemerson
07-10-2004, 11:45 AM
Wow...another heated debate. It seems to me that if what you're doing to enjoy a ride takes away from someone else's enjoyment of a ride, then you shouldn't do it. However, everyone has different levels of tolerance. (For example, my kids and I love to sing along on the rides like POTC and IOSW, but we sometimes get dirty looks.) Another factor in this debate is thaqt it's an issue of "breaking the rules" that are posted. I don't see signs that say "No singing allowed on this ride," but I do see signs that say "please, no flash photography" and "no videotaping allowed." I personally like to follow people's rules, especially when they say please and I like to model that for my children. Whether videotaping is allowed or not, I wouldn't do it on this ride because I'd be so busy with the taping that it would take away from me actually enjoying it in the moment.

On the subject of "Soaring Over California," I have a question...I better start a new thread so as not to get off the topic of videotaping...