PDA

View Full Version : Fantasyland Skyway Terminal

Werner
07-07-2004, 02:12 PM
Does anyone else remember going into the Fantasyland Skyway Terminal at night? I loved that blue -- or was it pink? -- neon glow back there in those open areas as you walked along the back side of the terminal. They had farm impelements and hay, I think, and it always looked so "rustic". It had such a "frontier" feeling and a sense of being out in the "wild" areas of the park. There was something so magical about being up there, and every time I go by the old shuttered terminal, I lament its demise....OK I feel better for sharing LOL

07-09-2004, 06:31 AM
Skyway at night was so pretty. I remember the Fantasyland terminal as Swiss, not frontier.

GoldenEars
07-09-2004, 07:06 AM
I, too, remember the glow and miss that location very much! It's a shame they don't use it for something else. Here's my idea...why not open it up as a little Disney coffee cafe or something. Guests can walk up there, get their coffee, tea, etc, little snacks and sit at a table over looking Fantasyland. And with all that, they can bring back *the glow* again for old time sake! :D

efoxx
07-09-2004, 07:10 AM
I, too, remember the glow and miss that location very much! It's a shame they don't use it for something else. Here's my idea...why not open it up as a little Disney coffee cafe or something. Guests can walk up there, get their coffee, tea, etc, little snacks and sit at a table over looking Fantasyland. And with all that, they can bring back *the glow* again for old time sake! :D

I agree totally how pretty the area is, it definatly had a swiss mountain feel. and while I would love to see them do something, they won't because they would at the least have to build a ramp up there, or an elevator to meet ada rules. oh well another great spot wasted :rolleyes:

Filbert
07-09-2004, 09:06 PM
Yes I remember the hay and the old fashioned farm tools here and there. And at night they lit them with colored lights. I remember it was cold at night up there when you were in line, the breezes came right through that open building. There was yodeling background music at a low volume. The building was great, all carved out of wood, like you were really in Switzerland. Everyone in line watched the skillfull ride operators as the buckets flew in and they unloaded the people. Then they'd whoosh around the corner, doors open, and you were whisked into one of those buckets (with the hard cold fiberglass seats) and went flying into the night sky. I loved seeing the old pirate ship and the waterfall at skull rock all lit up at night, and the back of the castle. And going through the Matterhown was cool. You could see all the wooden supports on the inside - boy it looked so HUGE in there. And then you'd end up in the hustle bustle of Tomorrowland, like you arrived in a different world. Everything brightly lit, and tons of people. Always pop music coming from the Tomorrowland Terrace and people running around to get on Space Mountain or the other rides.
The building is still up there isn't it?

Animalia
07-10-2004, 06:38 AM
Boy, you guys are making me homesick for the Skyway. I remember how peaceful it was up there gliding over the park. "Aaaaahhhhhhh!", I exclaim as I recline back in my chair. Today I miss it while walking from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland (and visa versa) especially when there's a parade cutting across the path. Oh well. Even if they don't do anything with the building in Fantasyland at least it's still there to bring back the memories.

And then you'd end up in the hustle bustle of Tomorrowland, like you arrived in a different world. Everything brightly lit, and tons of people. Always pop music coming from the Tomorrowland Terrace and people running around to get on Space Mountain or the other rides.
The building is still up there isn't it?
I could be way off but wasn't the Tomorrowland terminal converted into a maintenance bay for the Rocket Rods? :confused:

Andrew
07-10-2004, 11:51 AM
I could be way off but wasn't the Tomorrowland terminal converted into a maintenance bay for the Rocket Rods? :confused:
The overhanging cantilevered section was removed, and the rest was converted as you say.

poohray
07-10-2004, 03:27 PM
Great narration Filbert, I like the writing as it made me experience over again a forgotten memory, alas, I am feeling nostalgic now.

Nautilus
07-11-2004, 04:27 PM
Yes, it was Swiss. I have "fond" memories of wearing leiderhosen, long white socks and a fluffy white shirt. It was definitely comfortable in the summer, tho'

rentayenta
07-11-2004, 04:33 PM
It went though the Matterhorn right? I remember taking it back and forth from MananaLand to FantasyLand. Now we use the train to get around.

Disney Vault
07-11-2004, 04:54 PM
That is one ride I am happy is gone today. It looked tacky and made DL look cheap. I remember someone saying how they should make the fantasyland skyway terminal into a coffee stand. I thought that was a great idea because it seems like its just tucked away up in the corner and looks so friendly.

Tikiboy7
07-11-2004, 05:03 PM
the Skyway was so carny.

Disney Vault
07-11-2004, 05:15 PM
^ exactly