PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving... Yes or No?

TikiTiki
07-06-2004, 10:46 AM
Hi there! I need some sage advice...

We go to DLR every year in Sept. for my lil one's Birthday. This year, instead of the long five day trip, we are considering cutting it down to a day or two, due to all the refurbs of some of his favorite attractions. He is aware that the Tiki Room will not be open and is crushed, BUT still wants to go. When I mentioned that the HM would ALSO be closed due to Jack coming soon... again came the sad face. :(

SO .. not really a long story short, but.. I need your help. Is the week OF Thanksgiving a good week to go for our LONG vacation? We thought.. hmm... won't have to use so many vacation days from work.. and seeing holiday HM and small world would be a good thing since ..no Tiki... :: sigh ::
Plus we could take in a special holiday meal. Not sure if Blue Bayou serves them or not but that's his favorite place to eat. Also aren't sure when the Holiday Parade begins? He LOVES the soldiers and I'm trying to get that in there somewhere too.

We usually hit DLR about two to three times from Sept. to Dec. but since we are DEFINITLEY going in June of next year for the 50th, we could probably cut our trips this fall to two.

Any thoughts or suggestions from those who have maybe gone during Thanksgiving? Thanks so much in advance!!

Forbin
07-06-2004, 10:57 AM
Holidays are usually the worst days to go.

Like Yesterday (July 5th) was one of the best days to go but Thanksgiving is one of the fullest. Xmas is worst but Thanksgiving weekend is a busy one.

thekirk
07-06-2004, 11:40 AM
I've heard stories of when there was not many people at all on Thanksgiving - but maybe the stories were big lies.

It all would depend on how how much want to deal with crowds. I'm thinking about going to the resort near Thanksgiving too - but won't mind the crowds too much.

But since two of your son's favorite rides are down, I would wait till November - or even go early Dec. - that way you know the Holiday parade will be going.

NoCalDad
07-06-2004, 12:04 PM
We go during the week leading up to Thanksgiving. From the Saturday before until the Wednesday right before Thanksgiving (20 to the 24th this year). The weather is great. The crowds are generally lighter than they will be on the weekend following Thanksgiving (it's still crowded, but not as bad). The park is decorated for the holidays. The kids love the snow after the fire works. Most of the attractions are open, including Holiday IASWAL and HM. And, we still make it back up I-5 to have Thanksgiving dinner with the rest of our family.

SCUBAbe
07-06-2004, 02:41 PM
The kids love the snow after the fire works. Most of the attractions are open, including Holiday IASWAL and HM. And, we still make it back up I-5 to have Thanksgiving dinner with the rest of our family.

snow? the last time we were there they blew down sticky bubbles. The parents told their kids it was snow, but...come on. A couple of years ago they really blew down snow. That was so cool! I wonder why they stopped?

MrsG
07-06-2004, 04:02 PM
We have been going to Disneyland over Thanksgiving for several years. The Wednesday before (and assume the rest of the days before) are nice. Crowds are not too bad and the weather has been better in November than in June! All the holiday decorations are up and the holiday parade is going. Thanksgiving day can be pretty crowded, although one year it was very light - who knows. As for Thanksgiving dinner, I would NOT recommend the deep fried turkey at Brennan's. Any dinner reservations, make soon before you get there. Thanksgiving in Disneyland is a great tradition!

TikiTiki
07-06-2004, 08:40 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies and advice! It's always interesting to see what everyones take on the crowds are. I assumed it would be busy but then again.. busy and HOT are one thing .. busy and moderate to cool temps are another. ;)

NoCalDad ..? About the fireworks.. I know Fantasmic will be down at that time. Is it the Believe show you are referring to or will there be another holiday fireworks show at that time?

MrsG ..? Did you mean the holiday parade is in full swing as of the weekend before Thanksgiving or does it start the Friday and Saturday following Thanksgiving? Just want to be sure.. because maybe we will try November 19th thru the 24th.

Thanks again for all your input!!

2dizneykids
07-07-2004, 08:33 AM
Love the Holidays at Disney. Yes it can be croweded but well worth it. If you plan on being there on Thanksgiving call early and get reservations for the Dinner held at the Disneyland Hotel. Well worth the cost.

MrsG
07-07-2004, 08:33 AM
MrsG ..? Did you mean the holiday parade is in full swing as of the weekend before Thanksgiving or does it start the Friday and Saturday following Thanksgiving? Just want to be sure.. because maybe we will try November 19th thru the 24th.

I am sure the Holidy parade was up and running the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, but don't know about the days before that.

Jeffreelancer
07-07-2004, 11:10 AM
We went last year over Thanksgiving and it was my youngest son's fourth birthday so it was a very good trip. The days leading up to Thanksgiving were not very crowded, but the Thursday and Friday were extremely busy.

On Friday the HM fastpasses ran out before 3:00pm (the park closed at midnight) and most of the rides had 2+ hour wait times. :eek:

They did run Fantasmic on Thursday and Friday and since it was so crowded that added a third show on Friday night. All of the holiday decorations are up and the holiday parade is running.

NoCalDad
07-07-2004, 12:46 PM
The fireworks went every night Saturday through Wednesday. I think it was a holiday version of believe. The title of the show was something like "Believe....There's Holiday Magic in the Air". They are really well done. There is even a Christmas sound track to the show.

The holiday parade also ran nightly.

And... yes, the "snow" is really soap, but it's amazing how quiet thousands of people can become when it starts. It looks especially cool with the Holiday Small World lights in the backgound. I just wish it would last longer. The New York Street section of The Disney Studios had snow going all the time last time I was in WDW in December.

Pat-n-Eil
07-07-2004, 03:36 PM
We went this very last Thanksgiving week for the first time. We tried it then because a) the kids are out of school and b) we had never seen the holiday version of Disneyland.

We enjoyed our trip, but Disneyland was a madhouse of people every single day that week. If we had a choice to go any other time during the school year, we would. September used to be our favorite time to go before we had to deal with school schedules.

If you are going to see the Holiday stuff, I'd suggest any time that isn't Thanksgiving or Christmas week.

As it was, we went last week and it was surprisingly nice and not nearly as crowded. Tuesday was downright pleasant as it applied to the number of people. Very enjoyable.

annemerson
07-07-2004, 10:17 PM
We went to Disneyland once during Thanksgiving and it was way too crowded.
September and October are much better. Your 5 year old might like the Rainforest Cafe and the food is really good there and much more reasonably priced than the Blue Bayou.

rentayenta
07-08-2004, 12:41 PM
I've been during Thanksgiving and Christmas and even though it's crowded it's my favorite time of year to go. The tree on Main St. is so magical. The decorations around the park are beautiful. The characters in their holiday attire look so fabulous. I love it!!!!!

Plan for the crowds. Make your dining reservations early.

This year we are going over Christmas. Our plans are all in place. Now I am just waiting to make Goofy's Kitchen reservation for the day after Christmas.

Some how I need to figure out how to tell the kids that Santa is sending us to DL for Christmas and incorporate Disney Dollars into the picture. I also need to get into the hotel room and hide some plush characters for the kids before they get into the room.....much to do.....presents...

Goofy'sDad
07-08-2004, 02:23 PM
I've been during Thanksgiving and Christmas and even though it's crowded it's my favorite time of year to go. ...

I absolutely agree. Just do a little planning. Use Fastpass and some other basic line avoidance strategies and you can have a great time. We've gone at Thanksgiving and at Christmas-New Years week, seen and gone on everything we wanted and not had problems at all with lines. Just be a little strategic.

mad4mky
07-08-2004, 02:36 PM
I went to DLR once on Thanksgiving. Miserable. One of the busiest days I have ever seen DL. The only other time I think it was busier, was the summer/fall the Main Street Electrical Parade was 'magically glowing away forever'...and everyone in the US came down to DL (and that was in late September).
Only time worst...New Year's Eve.

So...for me...I won't go back to Disneyland on Thanksgiving or NYE's.

But...if it is the only time you can come to the park. Go for it. There are always nice things to see. :D
And, I am sure you will have a grand time. But, it will be busy. :)

TikiTiki
07-21-2004, 03:40 PM
Well... It looks to be a 50% ( Yes Go Enjoy!) /50% (It's a MADHOUSE Stay Away!) for the whole Thanksgiving week. LOL

Decisions ..decisions...

I think we may end up going the Mon thru Wed before Thanksgiving, then drive back down home for Turkey and the fixins. We want to be able to utilize our vacation days as best we can.

From what I am gathering, there WILL be holiday decor already up (tree, lights, costumes and food n such) but there may or may not be a Christmas Parade running that Mon - Wed. We will deal with that as it gets closer, I think.

The reason Thanksgiving Day itself is busy, I can only assume it's because alot of people say the heck with turkey, Lemme go play!

You all have given me fantastic info to chew on. Seeing as how it's so far away, and I still can't even get any definite info for the shows, parades and downed rides for our September trip. I think I shall just have to bide my time.

Oh man, I gotta relax........ I need a Dole Whip :p

rentayenta
07-21-2004, 08:39 PM
We went to Disneyland once during Thanksgiving and it was way too crowded.
September and October are much better. Your 5 year old might like the Rainforest Cafe and the food is really good there and much more reasonably priced than the Blue Bayou.

The decor at The Rainforest Cafe is cool but the food and service stink. We have been to the one in DTD twice and both times sucked. I really want to like it because it's so well themed but no such luck. Try the Blue Bayou.

Goofy'sDad
07-22-2004, 01:20 PM
The decor at The Rainforest Cafe is cool but the food and service stink. We have been to the one in DTD twice and both times sucked. I really want to like it because it's so well themed but no such luck. Try the Blue Bayou.

Any Disneyland-fan has to try the Blue Bayou once, but IMO the food was not worth the price. That is, I'd be OK paying that much if the food was in that league ... but I think you're paying mostly for decor at the Blue Bayou just like at the Rainforest cafe. IMO, if you have kids with you, I'd go back to Rainforest Cafe before the Blue Bayou.

tink1234
07-23-2004, 12:28 PM
We've done DL during Thanksgiving. It did seem crowded...especially during the Tree lighting ceremony. I thought it was okay, though. I enjoyed that most rides were up and the holiday decorations were fun.

As for the snow it is Disney that advertises that "it snows every night in California." Yes, we know they are bubbles, but it is all about fantasy and magic, right?

The nights we went the Santa Ana winds were blowing. Our family came from OK to visit where it is VERY windy all of the time. So our whole family was like, "What wind?!" We were cracking up about how it was all over the news. (Kinda like when people come to OK from the Northern states and laugh at us for closing schools for a couple of inches of snow.) :D

SallySkellington
07-25-2004, 08:47 AM
I've been to Disneyland the day before Thanksgiving, and it wasn't very crowded at all (of course, this was 5 years ago, things may have changed). I got to see almost everything, and probably would've gotten to see everything if rides hadn't kept breaking down.

I think you really should go sometime between October and December. IMO, Haunted Mansion Holiday is something you should see at least once in your life (if not more). And seeing as how it might be leaving DL soon (Eisner giveth, and Eisner taketh away), better see it while you can.