PDA

View Full Version : Why do YOU have an AP?

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
07-04-2004, 12:38 PM
I was thinking about this today. Wondering why those with APs have them. I don't want to hear, it is just because I go so much and it saves me money on admission tickets. If that is your reason, then why do you go so much?

For us, now that we have kids, we want to take them to the place that I grew up going to and love. I want them to love it too. We got APs to save on money because we plan to go at least 2 times a year from now on. But we plan to go that much because Disneyland is a magical place to me and I love to see that magic in my kids.

only1mouse
07-04-2004, 03:01 PM
I live in Oregon, but work in Camarillo, CA. I have an AP for two reasons, because I get down there at least twice a year and the savings on the hotels is worth one of us having an annual pass.

DisneyDustin22
07-04-2004, 07:04 PM
Because I live up in Los Angeles and need the escape that Disneyland offers someone like me. Being able to get away whenever I want, without having to worry about svaing $50 for the week to get in. I find myself now almost going and just walking around. Forgetting about the outside world. Remembering my childhood memories. They say money cant buy happiness. Well, for the last two years, my money has bought me a magical escape I have at any time I want.

SCUBAbe
07-04-2004, 07:10 PM
well, it's cost effective. A ticket is $50.00 to one park. Ap is $129.00. It just makes sense to upgrade. I go so often because i have the pass and it's still not that often. I don't go during the summer. When I do go it's only about once every month or two. If I didn't have the pass I would not go so often. Last year I didn't re-new my pass and didn't go for the entire year. I suppose I'm one who can live without going all the time.

We also have AP for Magic Mountain and the Queen Mary...same reason they are cost effective. When we go to Universal for their new ride we may be adding that to our collection also. Now sea world is to far for an AP, but we will be going their in July and if we lived closer I'm sure we would have one. So, I guess my reason is simply cost. It's not just because it's DL/DCA. :)

Opus1guy
07-04-2004, 08:18 PM
I don't have one.

efoxx
07-04-2004, 08:57 PM
We don't have one now, we live in the midwest. but we were original apers way back in the early 80's.

so why?
lots of reasons.
first of all growing up in the 60-70's we made the trip once a year from SD. on very rare occassions we would make it twice in a year. it was probably one of the happiest times I had growing up. my brother and I would anticipate the trip for weeks. on the trip up we would ride on the bed over the cab in my dads camper looking for that first peek at the matterhorn. in those days you could spot the mountain on I5 from about five or 6 miles away. in fact I could tell you the exact spot. it was from a small bridge near an old drive in theater which turned into a swap meet in the 80's. I don't think its there anymore, and the freeway certainly has grown up since then as well.
the second reason is that when I met my bride of nearly twenty years now this is one of the places we loved going together. another was Knotts. in fact it became a toss up for me if I would purpose to her at Dland or Knotts. in the end Knotts won out only because we were there and I couldn't wait any longer :D .
another was stress reduction. we could simply drive up to dland from SD anytime we needed a break, and even if it was only for dinner, which it was on several occassions, it was well worth the break.
from the first days they came out till we were forced to move we had aps. we attended many great ap parties that they had in those days. and we managed to go about twice a month for the day. and even though we had been there more then a hundred times I would still get all excited the night before a planned trip, barely able to sleep, much like when I was a kid. and even though now I was driving I still looked with great anticipation for the matterhorn.
sadly enough we were forced to let our aps expire when we moved here. just not practicle. these days we spend far more time at WDW then we do at dl. but I will always consider those years in the early to mid 80's when wehad our aps as some of the most fun ever.

AdrienneQW
07-05-2004, 07:26 AM
I grew up in Orange County and while we enjoyed Disneyland when we went once or twice a year, it wasn't "magical" to me. Until recently, the last time I had been to Disneyland was right after Indy opened. Then in early May we went on the spur of the moment when my sister realized her son would turn three in a few days and we'd have to pay to get him in afterwards... so my husband and I took our two year old and my sister took her almost-three year old, and we spent a day at the Magic Kingdom.

It was an absolute blast.

We *all* walked out of there with Annual Passes (except the two-year-old). My sister and her son live 10 minutes from the park so they go in the evenings after work. We live about 45 minutes away so we go in the early morning on weekdays before the crowds get too bad. It's the perfect half-day outing for my son and me... get to DL at 8:00am, enjoy the park for three hours or so, and get back home in time for the little guy's nap. It has become our Wednesday routine.

Watching Dexter's face when we get off a ride... when he smiles up at me and says "Dat was fun!" or "Again!!!"... or listening to him do his litany of what he likes: "Desser like it monorail... Desser like it tram... Desser like it teacups-go-round-and-round... Desser like it Dumbo go up in sky... Desser like it boat-small-world-song..." THAT is why I have an annual pass. :)

Nancy
07-05-2004, 03:27 PM
I have found that it is the least expensive way for my family to vacation more than once a year. After the first couple days, the park if "free" for the rest of the year. And it gives us a good excuse to leave the snow in No. Cal. and get some sunshine in the winter. I grew up there and I want my kids to love Disneyland too, and they do. :)

merlinjones
07-05-2004, 03:47 PM
I love the design and aesthetics of the Walt-era Disneyland... and one never knows when something else will be taken away forever. So it's nice to pop in to absorb what we still have of that - -and visualize getting the rest back... or even better (and perhaps even more unlikely), something new in that spirit.

It's still a beautiful place to walk, stop and smell the breeze and flowers and look at happy people, too. Maybe all the Cast-Members/AP's/Disneylanders/Guests who appreciate the thought, talent and vision that went into the original park, feel a need to look after it for Walt, even if just in spirit, since those in charge of the company that bears his name won't do it. :)

Pedro2NR
07-05-2004, 07:45 PM
My girlfriend and I got one because we love Disneyland. I go at least once a week to relieve myself from my worries and stress. I love the scenery and theme everywhere. Everytime I go, I remember the trips when I was young.

The Mouse Is Back
07-06-2004, 02:24 PM
We have Deluxes right now, had Premiums last time but the price went too high. I am actually considering the SoCal for next renewal just because it seems that we never go on the dates that would be blocked out, so why pay for them?

I considered not renewing but because my daughter has tolerance and endurance issues (autistic), it's nice to be able to turn around and come home if we get there and it's too crowded or for whatever reason her behavior starts bottoming out. If there were still a real "off season" when the crowds were light, I'd go back to buying multi-day passes and vacationing a few times a year, but it seems Disney gets uncomfortable with smaller crowds and fewer $$$$$ during what used to be the nicest time of year - between Labor Day and Thanksgiving, the first few weeks of December, and the period between New Year's Day and Spring break.

I miss the off season. :|

-Allegra-

Forbin
07-06-2004, 02:35 PM
I don't have one.
Lol Opus...you have something much better than an AP.

Or do you have to pay for parking?

I have one because it's close and it's CHEAPER than going to Boomers or any other place to spend 8 hours with my Daughter while my Wife gets some much needed sleep :)

Opus1guy
07-06-2004, 02:52 PM
Lol Opus...you have something much better than an AP.

Or do you have to pay for parking?

Well...maybe. ;) But let me be clear:

I believe that you may be thinking I'm a member of Club 33 or something. I am not.

However I do enter the parks on free passes that are associated with Club 33 reservations which are made for me by a friend, on occasion.

The rest of the time when not visiting Club 33 as part of my Disneyland Resort visit, I use old Complimentary Passports that I have accumulated over the years from my "association" with Disney and current friends or professional associates I still have at Disney who gift them to me. Also occasionally I get passes left for me at Guest Relations by various Disney folks, and sometimes I'm "Signed-In" by them in person at the gate.

As far as Parking goes, I have (again from the past and current Disney friends) a supply of Complimentary Disneyland Parking Passes that I use to avoid paying parking fees. I usually park in Mickey & Friends unless I'm with my friend who is the Club 33 member, in which case we use the Complimentary Valet Parking at the Grand Californian that is a benefit of his Club 33 membership.

As a result of all of the above, I've personally never had the need for an Annual Pass.

Yet. ;)

odnamraortsac
07-06-2004, 04:58 PM
To paraphrase former President Bill Clinton in his new book, "Because I can".