PDA

View Full Version : DCA- and english perspective

englishdisneylandfan
07-03-2004, 09:05 AM
Hi, we visited the resort in 2002 and thought DCA was great! Ive heard so many negative comments about the park, but hardly agree with any of them.
Attractions- We thought they were brilliant. Soarin' was amazing, by far the best simulator style ride i have ever been on. Grizzly had great themeing and was probably the best of its type of ride, we were amazed by the detail disney had gone into on the ride and didnt feel any animatronics were needed to embellish the ride. We loved "bugs" and thought it was a great show, as was Blast! at the hyperion, we also really enjoyed the paradise pier rides and thought they offered a different type of disney entertainment.
Themeing- The golden state area was literally stunning, there was so much to look at, especially down that path that winds through grizzly peak. Hollywood was also very detailed and felt very realistic, and we also thought the pier was good. One of the best areas was pacific wharf which we thought was one of the best areas in the park with great scenery and food! We ate at the mexican place and the pacific wharf cafe, both were excellent. I was wondering what the new editions like tower were like because we are planning a visit in 2005. By the way we are visiting from england.

Lani
07-03-2004, 09:49 AM
Hi english fellow! :)

Thanks for your perspective. Interestingly enough, I could hear you explaining this with a British accent... and I imagined colorful and sunny DCA and compared it to some of that dreary weather you get in England...

Some things have changed already -- Blast is no longer there (replaced by the Aladdin musical), and Tower of Terror just opened earlier this year -- but I think DCA is fine. Yes, it's no Disneyland, and I never thought Disney should've charged the same amount for admission, but it does have its own personality.

Your first post! Welcome to MousePad! :)

RagtimePrince
07-03-2004, 10:33 AM
'ello govnah! :)

Very glad to hear you enjoyed DCA, I'm so sick of the constant bashing because it really is a very nice park. Kinda sounds like what happened with me and Alton Towers when I went over to merry England, a lot of folks from there said the queues and clientel were terrible, but I absolutely loved it. Shame you missed Tower though...

Bruce Bergman
07-03-2004, 08:09 PM
Glad you like DCA, most of the people who visit it like it. I like it. The main argument that most people have is that DCA doesn't have much "repeatability" in their shows and rides. As in, you'll go there for a day or two, see everything, do everything and like it, then you go away and won't come back for a few years.

But the local people aren't going to want to spend to come back more than that either, while there are a lot of "other things" to keep you entertained in Disneyland, to the point you could go twice a month (or more) and not get bored.

Tower of Terror is a very good ride, though the 'complaint du jour' is that it's a little short. (Time wise, it's plenty tall enough height wise.) Give them a year to get everyone out to DCA for their first ride, and they'll borrow an idea from Florida and make the variable ride drop programs, and make it a bit longer. That'll be the 'weenie' to draw the guests back in next summer.

If "Aladdin" is still running, you should catch it - it's a first-run quality stage play distilled down to 45-ish minutes. "Snow White" is good also, but not as good (the sets are too busy and the choreography is confused) - but the young kids like it, and that's what really counts.

What time of year are you planning to come back?

Okay, just as an aside should we be imagining this in proper cultured "BBC Announcer" British (ala Michael Jackson (http://www.michaeljacksontalkradio.com) (the radio host with the MBE from the Queen, not "The Gloved One"), or in full-on Cockney burr? :p (We have a Cockney gentleman who's the General Manager of a BMW dealership over here, and he does his own radio commercials. You really have to sit there and concentrate just to dig the words out...) ;)

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

englishdisneylandfan
07-04-2004, 12:50 AM
Cool, DCA sounds like its only got better. Tower sounds really great cant wait to ride. We should be visiting around august '05, in time for all the 50th stuff. I think we will more than likely stay at the Holiday Inn Anaheim at the Park, cus thats where we stayed last time, was good.
By august '05 will space and buzz be open?
You talk about repeatabilty, well we rode grizzly 4 or 5 times, and Soarin' 2 or 3 times. We also saw "bugs" twice. We found the park great, i preffered disneyland but it was really good to experience something different, and we thought it was great how wide the paths were and how good the atmosphere was. Oh and we really really enjoyd the rockin' the bay concerts in the bay area, gave us many good memories.
And by the way ive visited Alton Towers and its got some good rides but its not all that great. Britain cant really do themeing brilliantly but as i said some great rides and a definately fun day out!

blondiemouse
07-04-2004, 08:12 AM
I know another English person who likes DCA - yikes its me !!!!! The rest of my family loved it as well and we went in March before that big tower opened , guess thats only made the place better.Intresting thought though-the wine thing and nachos thing or whatever they are didn't really appeal to me(never went near them ) and as with the farm thing making way for A Bugs Land who thinks as time goes by the unique California things will make way for more traditional Disney type attractions making the park less California Adventure and more that second park with thrill rides/dark rides transported from our other parks and movies ?TOT in , Superstar Limo goes , Monsters Inc and Rock And Rollercoaster on the way - is it a gradual get rid of UN Disney things and transplant popular things from Florida or from popular movies ? :D

Baloo
07-05-2004, 05:26 PM
Dca has change since you last visit and it is just getting better. First of all the greenery has started to grow in and some minor additions have been made to enhance the area. Not sure if Flicks fun fun was around when you visited but it is quite a nice place to spend some time and have fun watching the young disney fans. If you are young at heart some of the small rides in this area could be fun. The best time to see this area and really get in the mood is at night when all the lights are on and the areas sound effects are quite impressing. Tot has also added some un to the hollywood area and although i don't think it will still be around by the time you come Who wants to be a millionare could be quite enjoyable. By the time you come in August of 2005 DCA will have a new parade that will stop in various areas of the park and come to life using some of the newer Disney/pixar characters. Buzz lightyear is slated to open May 5 2005 and hopefully space will open before you arrive. Disneyland will also have a new parade and firework show and the concepts for both look terrific.

See you at the parks next year.

Vegitabeta
07-06-2004, 07:55 AM
i'm English and i'm going 2 Disneyland on August 10th (as you may have guessed) is it better or equally good compared 2 WDW???

odnamraortsac
07-06-2004, 05:09 PM
If I was vacationing in the U.K., I doubt if I would visit a themepark called "Tony Blair's England Adventure". Personally, I'd rather see the real thing. Eisnerland really suffers in comparison to Disneyland.

danyoung
07-06-2004, 06:25 PM
>By august '05 will space and buzz be open?<

From what I've read recently, Disney has put Buzz on the fastrack for opening in time for the 50th. They wanted to do the same for Space, but it just wasn't to be. Space will not be open by August '05. Sorry.

danyoung
07-06-2004, 06:30 PM
>The main argument that most people have is that DCA doesn't have much "repeatability" in their shows and rides.<

I can't say I agree with this, Bruce. My argument isn't with the repeatability of the attractions that I love. It's that there just ain't that many of them to love! I could go on Soarin' for hours. If a trip goes by and I haven't been soaked on Grizzly Peak, I'm pissed. I watch Golden Dreams every time I visit. And I can't get enough of the Animation Lobby.

No, my problem is with the fact that, of this entire park, I've only got FOUR attractions that mean anything to me. That's so NOT enough. This is a schitzo park. There are some really very cool moments, both on the attractions and with the general atmosphere. C'mon, try to beat sipping a fine California wine while watching the Disneyland Electrical Parade go by. That's pretty danged cool. But that's 15 minutes of my 12 or 14 hour park day. There aren't enough of those moments to make this a full day park. And that's what Disney is charging for. It ain't fair.